• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

CTF is fine if you're in a group who knows how to dive in and grab the flag before a defense is set up. That's how I usually lost the flags. If you end up with randoms who have 3 guys on Defense, prepare for a Draw.

It's all fun and games until they shove it in competitive.

They won't.

I guess I am unsure how to more properly put that I was simply posting my opinions on the game mode (which by the way was not positing that other's opinion were wrong), or how to explain more clearly how that terminology applies to my feelings about the mode. I would engage you in a conversation if thats what you wanted to do regarding why I felt that way, but I wont do so when you make inferences about my posts I myself was not making, nor when were using unnecessary ad hominem attacks because you fail to understand how I'm applying gross to a game mode.

Have a good day.

By your statement of CTF as a mode being "gross", Blizzard's decision to include it (in response to myriads of fans who were begging for it no less) was wrong and unacceptable, and obviously so.
Clearly it can't be obviously wrong/unacceptable because plenty of people liked it, to the point of prompting Blizzard to include it and even add more map conversions just to give players more variety.

So yes, I am going to infer you simply posting the definition of "gross" (which I know btw as an English teacher and translator) and expecting me to suddenly have an epiphany as to why you think CTF is "wrong and unacceptable" as a mode is being a snarky asshole.

The mode ended up in draws because people would just defend all game with Mei, Torb, Bastion, and/or Sym. It would be just a waste of time for everyone.

The server browser gives the option to tweak the ruleset and character abilities.

Worse than 2CP

Nobody is asking you to play it if you don't want to. That doesn't mean that adding in the mode for others to enjoy is "unacceptable" or "wrong".

jviggy43

They won't.

By your statement of CTF as a mode being "gross", Blizzard's decision to include it (in response to myriads of fans who were begging for it no less) was wrong and unacceptable, and obviously so.
Clearly it can't be obviously wrong/unacceptable because plenty of people liked it, to the point of prompting Blizzard to include it and even add more map conversions just to give players more variety.

So yes, I am going to infer you simply posting the definition of "gross" and expecting me to suddenly have an epiphany as to why you think CTF is "wrong and unacceptable" as a mode is being a snarky asshole.

I can find something wrong and unacceptable that you do not. It is not difficult to infer that I was making an opinion on that matter. Just because many people feel otherwise does not mean that my own assessment of it being "unacceptable" as a game mode in OW is somehow invalid, just as a bunch of people wanting it doesn't make it a valid opinion either. Opinions are neither, thats sort of the point.

I never expected you to make inferences on why I found it that way, as I didn't elaborate; but I do expect you to not make inferences that posit the word gross, being used subjectively as an opinion, does not mean it exists an objective universal statement, or that other's enjoyment of the mode is invalidated.

Further I don't expect you to make insults at me because you can't grasp the simplicity of the word gross as it applies to my opinion on the game, which iss entirely different than whether or not everyone wants the gamemode (and yes now I am being a snarky ass hole haha)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't like CTF either but eh, if some people like it then it's good that they can now play it more. I mostly ignore all the arcade modes anyway.

NeoRaider

I was getting huge FPS drops last few days on PC for some reason, like twice in one match. To bellow 25fps, game would almost completely freeze for second or two. I hope that they fixed it.

Blu(e)

The server browser gives the option to tweak the ruleset and character abilities.

Cool.

The mode was still incredibly obnoxious and not fun when they introduced in Year of the Rooster. Where you couldn't customize it. That's why a lot of people disliked the mode and probably why he thought the mode was "gross".

Does the customizable options that are now on live servers fix it? Sure, maybe. I'm not going to be playing them though.

QP is pissing me off now and seriously putting me off the game in general... why the fuck am I always getting placed with Top 500's and GM's? I'm mid Diamond, this is fucking bullcrap.

Cool.

The mode was still incredibly obnoxious and not fun when they introduced in Year of the Rooster. Where you couldn't customize it. That's why a lot of people disliked the mode.

Does the customizable options that are now on live servers fix it? Sure, maybe. I'm not going to be playing them though.

And nobody is asking you to play the mode, regardless of whether the customization fixes the perceived problems or not.
Also, you're actually voicing your opinion in a way that is understandable because you present actual arguments instead of just shitting in a google word definition.

QP is pissing me off now and seriously putting me off the game in general... why the fuck am I always getting placed with Top 500's and GM's? I'm mid Diamond, this is fucking bullcrap.

Less of the higher rated people play QP. You get tossed in with people of similar MMR, and Diamond makes you closer to GMs who happen to be playing QP than, say, Gold players.

jviggy43

And nobody is asking you to play the mode, regardless of whether the customization fixes the perceived problems or not.
Also, you're actually voicing your opinion in a way that is understandable because you present actual arguments instead of just shitting in a google word definition.

If you wanted my opinion on why I felt that way, you should have asked "why do you feel the game is gross" rather than "how can a video game be gross".

Just had the weirdest experience on PS4. We were in a CTF match and the game was freaking out pretty hard. Most sound effects stopped playing and some players were invisible. It ended with no one being displayed for the Victory screen, POTG, or anything else, and it froze before the voting screen.

Mr Git

Just played a few QP matches on PS4 and had zero technical problems, aside from Bastion now being ridiculously hard to kill when amongst a couple of healers. Just got whooped.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
His turret form in Rein v. Rein matches will absolutely shred enemy shields. To the point where if you don't also have a Bastion, you're going to lose the shield war.

Not to mention he practically cannot be killed if nano ulted.

Kinda wish I had gotten the Blizzcon pass now for the skin. I really never thought Blizz would put Bastion back into the meta. Fuck.

All this except the nano part was true even before the patch lol.

We know he can shred shields, since the beginning of the game. It only remains to be seen if he's useful anywhere else because that's been the biggest problem.

Like nano tank is good but he can be still cc'd out of it easily.

Finally, I can play Overwatch how I want.

C5x_T-tU4AA-adz.jpg

Are they going to let you adjust settings like ultimate charge and health eventually?

Demetrius

Neo Member

GM players normally don't try that much in qp and just practice different characters, so their mmr drops.

Or the matchmaking messed up.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
PS4 is broken in some modes after the patch. Sounds not playing, being stuck in the blurred menu screen while playing. What a mess

Tried Bastion on a QP game and was immediately focused fired by entire opposition the moment I appeared anywhere so it wasn't effective.

When I was attack, I went Sombra. fighting Bastion was hard but not impossible to kill. I usually had to hack or recall and jump at him from another angle. It used to be easier to get the drop on him, so that's rough.

Anne

GM players normally don't try that much in qp and just practice different characters, so their mmr drops.

Or the matchmaking messed up.

I dont try super hard, but I will at least gp through characters I like playing and wanna stay sharp on. I think QP MMR range is just a lot looser.

jviggy43

Tried Bastion on a QP game and was immediately focused fired by entire opposition the moment I appeared anywhere so it wasn't effective.

When I was attack, I went Sombra. fighting Bastion was hard but not impossible to kill. I usually had to hack or recall and jump at him from another angle. It used to be easier to get the drop on him, so that's rough.

Does her hack still pull him out of turret mode? If so that would be a huge boost to her playstyle if Bastion starts getting more use.

Anyone else trying to play CTF right now?

I keep getting killed by some invisible force/player and afterwards being unable to open the start menu.

Pundere

First game (on ps4) after the update: join game in progress, no character models, no UI, no hud loads the entire match. Match ends and sits at a black screen forever.

Game two: mostly fine except my emote/voice wheel doesn't come up. Get near the flag to find out the enemy bastion is invisible.

GGs

Yeah, PS4 is pure jank.

Won a few rounds playing Torb by waiting at a CTF point and shooting when I saw the flag's colors swirl. Everyone was invisible.

Also, CTF is the shit. New maps only solidify this. Wish there was a comp component with it, too. Even like a separate SR.

sugarman

Last night on xbox the game just kept saying "Now travelling to..." and the loading screen looped repeatedly. Took multiple reboots to get in a game.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Blizzard just took down Ctf off the arcade on console . At least they are trying to quell the problem quick lol

finalflame

On the main menu, it says that Season 4 will start in 2 hours.

Goes live in 2 hours 20 min.

No post or video about it tho

Hope so.

All this except the nano part was true even before the patch lol.

We know he can shred shields, since the beginning of the game. It only remains to be seen if he's useful anywhere else because that's been the biggest problem.

Like nano tank is good but he can be still cc'd out of it easily.

I followed up after that, so, to quote myself:

Yah, but Bastion was not otherwise viable past that, and was easily countered. With Ironclad and his faster transform, he can viably hop into/out of Sentry much faster, and will still be a reliable DPS with his added healing + mobility buffs. Not to mention nanotank is going to be virtually invincible, with Ana still heavily in the meta.

To add to the above -- he's easily CC'd if you can plan around saving CC ults specifically for him. We all know hitting Ana sleep darts will be a tall order around mid/mid-high ELO, maybe not in pro play. Reminds me of when shatter had to be saved for beyblade Reaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom