• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, any tips on how to get better with Zarya? I love playing as her, but it feels like she's the squishiest tank of the lot. I love how you can basically safeguard someone like a genji or soldier when they Ult for a couple seconds and her Ult is just... I guess it might be one of my favourites in the game. It's just that sometimes it feels like I run out of her shields too soon.

When do you apply shields?

Her shields don't last long, even less if they're getting attacked.

There's a risk / reward to her for sure.

I tend to walk up and tank until my armor is down, then I bubble as I back off.

If the other team starts picking up on this and stops shooting when I back, I then shield as I walk in to keep charge up.

I mostly shield supports or flankers, to buy them time to survive and get away from whatever is trying to kill them.

you missed spray

Fffffffuuuuuuuuuu, this is why I'm not Diamond yet.

Skii

Guys, any tips on how to get better with Zarya? I love playing as her, but it feels like she's the squishiest tank of the lot. I love how you can basically safeguard someone like a genji or soldier when they Ult for a couple seconds and her Ult is just... I guess it might be one of my favourites in the game. It's just that sometimes it feels like I run out of her shields too soon.

The trick with the self shield is to only really use it when your HP is rapidly dropping in a fight. Don't preemptively shield yourself or even team mates. Be reactive with it most of the time. She's definitely not squishier than Winston. You just need to work with your shield regen.

Paltheos

Note that for Tracer and 200 HP targets who have already taken some damage that Dart -> Shoot -> Grenade -> Melee is faster and safer.

I do usually go for Self-shield only when I'm in danger or when Zenyatta Discords me. For team-mates, I usually shield Ulting Genjis, Soldiers or anyone who's about to die or will be in danger of dying soon. I guess I am doing what you guys are saying, so maybe I just need to get better at understanding when to back off? I think on high charge I develop a Rambo complex and very rarely last more than 10-15 seconds as I try to play her as a DPS rather than a tank if I've got anything above 70 charge.

One more thing that I'd like to know is whether or not Zarya can be a solo tank? I seem to have the most success with her when she's got D.Va or Reinhardt supporting her. With Reinhardt, I think you can get charge even if he puts up his Shield for some reason, so with him on the team, I almost never fall below 40-50 charge.

Note that for Tracer and 200 HP targets who have already taken some damage that Dart -> Shoot -> Grenade -> Melee is faster and safer.

And for anyone over 250 HP, you sleep then walk away if your team isn't with you.

The importance of proper BM cannot be understated

Indeed. The team that tilts first loses.

I think most of my losses last night were due to everyone trying to counter the one or two people on the other team that tilted them.

At one point I had someone say "I'm switching to Genji to counter this Pharah."

Like. What.

The real setup is:

Sleep Dart -> "Children, Behave" Voice Line -> Shoot -> Biotic Grenade -> Shoot Again -> Melee Attack -> Tea Time Emote

If they aren't a tank, the Biotic grenade will keep you alive long enough for the combo and should kill most everyone not a tank.**

The emote and voice line will tilt them enough to not try it again.*

*If you're just now getting gud, or have little time for the combo, you can skip the voice line and emote.

**If they lack escape, shooting a third time is usually better than melee. If they have escapes or are super low on health after the shoot nade shoot, melee can finish them off.
i'm so glad I drew both the tea time emote and children, behave voice line

One more thing that I'd like to know is whether or not Zarya can be a solo tank? I seem to have the most success with her when she's got D.Va or Reinhardt supporting her. With Reinhardt, I think you can get charge even if he puts up his Shield for some reason, so with him on the team, I almost never fall below 40-50 charge.

The bubble does go a bit past reins shield so that can take the hit instead of reins shield giving zarya some charge. It's actually a good way to get charge cause a lot of people like shooting reins shield dead center instead of hitting the sides. If I'm Dva and trying to whittle the shield down if I see the bubble on rein I aim at the corners.

Cappa

Banned
what tournament is going on at 9 am?

OGN Apex I think? The time is so weird... in America people are sleeping, in Europe people are working/at school but they play in Korea and probably have a large enough audience in Asia that they really dont give a f about the rest of the world lol

Alucrid

Banned
OGN Apex I think? The time is so weird... in America people are sleeping, in Europe people are working/at school but they play in Korea and probably have a large enough audience in Asia that they really dont give a f about the rest of the world lol

ah ok, thanks. thank god for twitch vods then

B-Dex

I got hate mail because my Sym is too good.

OnUYxOR.jpg

holysan

Especially when I'm solo queueing, it comes down to why would they pick Mcree, Torb, Symmetra, Sombra, Tracer, etc instead of Soldier? Soldier can't really be hard countered like those classes and will always put out consistent damage regardless of the other team's picks. At the same time he has one of the most dangerous ultimates in the game.

Same with Roadhog. Counters the whole cast, is better DPS than everything besides Soldier and the only thing which makes his life hard is Ana or a Zarya bubble. If you can play Hog, but pick another DPS instead, you are doing wrong.

I got hate mail because my Sym is too good.

OnUYxOR.jpg

ayyy

idk what it is about symm specifically that brings out the salt but omg. last year before the symm rework i got potg three qp games in a row as symmetra and this guy on the enemy team sent me hate mail, telling me to quit etc. and then on the fourth game his team won and he sent me THREE voice messages laughing at me (lol) and telling me how shit my symmetra was.

Oh I wouldn't really say he's great at everything. Honestly, even now he still has the 3rd slowest TTK, being only faster than genji and sombra. Mccree, tracer, reaper & pharah can snowball kills a lot quicker. Also his spread is great against big hitboxes but his effective damage is lowered quite a bit when he has to deal with spread on smaller targets.
What he sometime lacks in impact he more than makes up for in consistency. All of those other characters save for maybe McCree have to put themselves in much more vulnerable positions in order to earn their kills, soldier can get a similar output with much less risk. Personally I'd rather see DPS be a high risk high reward role.

Same as with Mei. If she you are in her close range, consider yourself dead.

Last week, I probably had the best match I've ever had as Mei where I kept shutting down the enemy Genji and Reaper on Anubis, though most of the time it was just them walking into my crosshairs. After the match they both messaged, "Fuck off" and "Die Mei, you piece of shit." I guess I was doing something right? I was so surprised by the messages that I even forgot to report them coz I kept laughing at those salty messages. :D

Don't shield before the damage comes in, shield while the damage is coming. People won't shoot if they see the bubble, so you aren't soaking any damage or getting any charge if you are shielding preemptively. Take a couple hits before you throw up the bubble and they are more likely to just keep shooting.

ISOM

Torb on Hanamura first point is OP especially combined with a good Sym. I've had full holds three different times over the last two days on that map with Torb.

Thanks, will try this too.

Does the shot animation cancel into melee?

People used to argue that it did but I don't really feel it. But it's quicker to shoot -> melee than two shots, so if it kills it's quicker. Shot into grenade cancels the shot animation though.

Also Torb + Symm is absurd on defense if your team has a Rein and Mei and Ana and Lucio.

Torb finds a secluded corner to drop turret, Symm covers chokes with turrets and shields, Mei walls anyone dumb enough to approach alone and can pick off flankers as well, Lucio and Symm can chase people down and Torb can poke through Rein / Symm shields.

Not to mention the armor.

Skii

Well someone reached Lv 2000 on Overwatch. The account is Sylphea and they're in gold. I feel like if you play that much, you should be at master level tbh.

Aim assist helps. I think low ranks on pc are honestly worse because of no aim assist.

Anyone up for some arcade on eu? Josh#22637

Ill be on in 20 mins. Just finishing some work.

I've got to the point where Sombra is probably my most effective/comfortable DPS pick (besides Soldier, but c'mon, zzzz).

I'm gonna lose my dang mind when buffs start hitting live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom