• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKIL65

So after playing competitive for a day or so, I've come to the conclusion that Soldier is pretty ineffective against Bastion, unless he lands a helix rocket on him.

If it's on cooldown, be prepared to do chip damage.

Banzai

I'm not one to complain about not getting potg but last night was weird:

I team kill the enemy by phara ulting into a graviton surge and later that round get another 5 people the same way.
On defense I along with 2 others get caught in a graviton surge so I use lucio ult. sound barrier gets negated by a dva ult and the enemy zarya lobs 2-3 bombs at 50 energy and kills us off.
The latter got potg.

I'm not saying zarya+pharah combo is some impressive feat that should get potg, but come on.

I team kill the enemy by phara ulting into a graviton surge and later that round get another 5 people the same way.
On defense I along with 2 others get caught in a graviton surge so I use lucio ult. sound barrier gets negated by a dva ult and the enemy zarya lobs 2-3 bombs at 50 energy and kills us off.
The latter got potg.

I'm not saying zarya+pharah combo is some impressive feat that should get potg, but come on.
Beats me. As a hog main I've picked off 3 - 4 people solo but don't get potg. If I do it with an ult in a team fight I might get potg. Personally I think singlehandedly taking down their whole back line is more impressive.

ISOM

So after playing competitive for a day or so, I've come to the conclusion that Soldier is pretty ineffective against Bastion, unless he lands a helix rocket on him.

If it's on cooldown, be prepared to do chip damage.

You gotta dive bastion or long range him. So D.Va/Tracer/Genji or Hanzo/Widow/Pharah.

LiK

I thought you would place in the mid 3300. Rough games?

I did solo q so some matches were a bit rough. Like I said got a thrower in one and a few were steamrolled cuz I ended up against stacked teams. I should've just played Junk for every match cuz anytime I picked him it was easy wins. I blew up so many dudes.

My last season high was 3100s afer placements and a few Comp matches. So the drop seems normal for placements this season. Most dudes got 300-400 less than their last season SR.

I might play more tonight cuz I wanna get to Diamond. I'm pretty motivated so I hope some of my buddies are on tonight.

Yager

Banned
I always do better in solo queue

I don't like partying up with more than 2 people. More than that and that's when you start running into 5+ stacks.

Solo queue is a bit of a mixed bag in my experience. I always let my teammates choose first so I can pick something that complements their pick or something that's needed. More than 50% of the time it doesn't really matter if I wait or not, because there's Hanzos and Widows and no support and no tank and omg guys what are you doing pls. (ocasionally that hanzo or widow is good, but playing on xbox one I can tell you that 95% of them are basura).

_Legacy_

Solo queue is a bit of a mixed bag in my experience. I always let my teammates choose first so I can pick something that complements their pick or something that's needed. More than 50% of the time it doesn't really matter if I wait or not, because there's Hanzos and Widows and no support and no tank and omg guys what are you doing pls. (ocasionally that hanzo or widow is good, but playing on xbox one I can tell you that 95% of them are basura).

Never a truer word spoken, I try to pick last and sometimes it just doesn't matter when I look at the comp. Some people will stink the place out and not even think about switching either. I just don't get it sometimes. I play on Xbox too, what's your SR?

LiK

Never a truer word spoken, I try to pick last and sometimes it just doesn't matter when I look at the comp. Some people will stink the place out and not even think about switching either. I just don't get it sometimes. I play on Xbox too, what's your SR?

Picking last usually means I play support or a tank. Altho I've noticed some dudes not picking at all unless they see what others have picked.

5-1-4 for placements and ended at 3295 which is only slightly worse than where I spent the majority of time last season so pretty happy with that. Only one bad game really where it felt like we were doing nothing, most of the losses were reasonable games that we lost the edge in. No bad team comps either as far as I can remember which is refreshing. Dunno if I got lucky or the system is actually adjusting and getting fairer matches.

Yeah, for the most part, the games were paired off really well. The MMR has been on point since last season, IMO.

Had a bit of an off day yesterday. I ended up soloing the last 2 placements. Absolutely destroyed them in the first one, but the 2nd one would have been rage inducing if it wasn't kinda comical.

We take them on Illios 2-0 easily. So our guys start with a few troll picks. Laughing on comms, diving into the full team but chuckling about it. All kinds of meme talk, feelsbadman this and feelsgoodman that. We get the point to about 70% and the enemy takes it. We then proceed to lose every single fucking team fight for the remainder of the game. My team stopped laughing when the game went to 2-2. And nobody talked for the last round, which we lost badly.

So, yeah. 4-5-1. On a meme game. I landed in the mid 2800s. Meh.

AbaFadi

Banned
So for the people that finish the placements, do you still gain more SR in the first games after being placed?

Tracer main now?

I played one game after placing last night and got like 40 something sr from it, so it might be there still.

I'm trying to branch off of only playing tanks this season and also playing DPS more often. Tracer is also really fun lol.

Wanna play QP with me in the future? You're too high for me in Comp :(

Sure, I don't play qp a whole lot but I'm down to some time. What's your PSN?

LiK

Zen is a must against Bastion, imo. The Discord negates his Ironclad and also tends to scare away Bastion players whenever I get the Discord on them. They start running away even with Rein protection.

Sure, I don't play qp a whole lot but I'm down to some time. What's your PSN?

xLiKx

hopefully i'll get back into Diamond this season soon. So many games are coming out tho, dammit.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
About 7 out of 10 placements done. Around 2/4/1 for wins/losses/draws so far.

Got placed twice in a row with a 5-stack team that was just flat out better/more coordinated than me and my friends, and we got trashed.

Bastion feels too tanky to fight against, but he's not super horribly broken. More like old D.Va levels of broken (okay, maybe more than that). He takes a team effort damage-wise to take down, but doesn't seem to dominate games as much as I expected.

And I agree that Soldier 1000000% needs his rocket to fight Bastion. Regular shots help contribute to total team damage, but you're not gonna kill him alone.

Yager

Banned

Last season I got to 29XX but ended up in 27XX after playing with folks in lower tires (most of my friends are silver-gold). If you wanna play one of this days feel free to add me (note that I live in Spain, so timezones and all that might be an issue). Still haven't touched S4.

God, they even nerfed Sombra this patch by introducing a buggy delay on transloc activating. Probably caused by fixing her existing translocator bug, which at least had a workaround.

I'm seriously considering dropping the game until the next significant patch.

KanameYuuki

Why keep armor if they gave him Ironclad, just like why buff recon if sentry and tank are unkillable while on to of that deploying faster.

I don't get why, when they've just learned to do incremental tweaks to, e.g., Ana's grenade or Sombra's hacking, they dump like four significant, combinative buffs on Bastion at once.

_Legacy_

Last season I got to 29XX but ended up in 27XX after playing with folks in lower tires (most of my friends are silver-gold). If you wanna play one of this days feel free to add me (note that I live in Spain, so timezones and all that might be an issue). Still haven't touched S4.

Cool, I've just added you. I live in the UK so timezone won't be much of a problem.

Owzers

I don't get why, when they've just learned to do incremental tweaks to, e.g., Ana's grenade or Sombra's hacking, they dump like four significant, combinative buffs on Bastion at once.
To reaffirm they are in control. The power of blizzard to make buffs and nerfs will not be questioned.

Sayad

The latter got potg.

Might be since the latter combo dealt more overall damage.

darklin0

Banned
Just had a match where the other team used the Bastion comp.
We almost lost until we switched to the exact same mirror comp. This meta is shit.

LiK

For my final placement match, I switched to Bastion since no one else did just to counter the other Bastion on Hollywood. Made it to the end but my team couldn't survive against enough to win it. The Ana we had was so fucking bad at giving me the Nanoboost near the end. I even spammed my Ult is ready 3 times when she had her's. That was a frustrating loss but I did kill a shitload of guys as Bastion.

Akuun

Kinda, who solo out DPS hog's heals?
Soldier can do that for sure with headshots. Probably also McCree.

Roadhog healing right in front of enemies is pretty obnoxious really. Most people will be going for free headshots if he does that. Hell, even Mercy should probably shoot his head if she has friendlies with her.

LiK

DPS can def out damage Hog self heals. Soldier might not be able to finish him off himself but just one other hero helping will kill him dead.

GoaThief

Don't forget to turn your back to the enemy when using Roadhog's heal. Turning your back makes Hog's critical hitbox smaller.
I do similar with D.va if a Mei is freezing me or there's a char with a stun - spin around at the last second to hide my critical hit box.

Speaking of D.va, her gun nerf made it impossible to really compete with hog whilst he's healing. Well 1v1s in general against hog now are definitely unwise 9/10 times where it was more even previously. Makes watching a hog's desperate but ultimately futile attempt to bound away from a mek det even more satisfying. Plus with the huge hit box and heals I like to use him as an ult farm before diving out or exploding in the midst of a team battle.

Skii

Man Blizzard's decay system is such bullshit. Don't even want to do placements and actually play competitive because I know I can't play 7 games per week for the entire season. So there's absolutely no chance I can make a decent push for masters.

AbaFadi

Banned
Man Blizzard's decay system is such bullshit. Don't even want to do placements and actually play competitive because I know I can't play 7 games per week for the entire season. So there's absolutely no chance I can make a decent push for masters.

I really don't like the new decay system. I don't have a lot of time to play anymore so having to play 7 games a week is gonna be annoying.

Akuun

There was one time I was in a 6-stack and we decided to go 5 supports + Rein.

Nanoboosted Symmetra with Mercy damage boost is really freaking stupid.

Akuun

I feel completely useless playing Reinhardt in comp lately. Shield goes down way too quick now.
Rein is like half a DPS now lol.

It's also becoming an indirect buff to Junkrat.

Bastion to shred shields + Junk to spam shit + Mercy to damage boost and res when you do manage to finally kill something = super annoying to deal with.

komaruR

Invite me next time brehs

Yea. Those last randoms we got weren't so hot.
You guys need to 6stack placement next season :p

That bothers me, KDR in overwatch should be the last thing anyone needs to worry about. I got a buddy who uses KDR as in excuse to pick Soldier " my kill/death is 2.9 man let me play Soldier" two minutes later "hey someone take care of Pharah she keeps killing me when I'm trying to take down Reins shields" after match "I don't know why we lost, I had gold damage" 😐
Did you let him know that even a graze to the enemy counts as elim, unlike cod/bf that is final blow? Should just ask him his final blow/death ratio lol
I've been in plat hell since forever. Last season I was climbing up to diamond pretty quickly, but started playing with a couple of friends which are...not very good, and lost every game I played with them (they were in low 1900-2100). I reached 2987, and after a while I stopped giving a fuck. You could say that I could not play with those buddies if I want to climb...but they're friends, I'm not gonna be a bitch.

(but seriously, the difference in level when I play with them vs when I play with another buddy that is pretty much in my level is ridiculous).
if it's on console, need to start making a smurf to play with them. beside, your sris almost >1k than them to be queuing together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom