• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

Thanks for replying! I feel too demotivated to play comp I think, but I might do a few placements matches slowly to see how it goes.

I think most of us approach comp with the wrong mindset (myself included), try not to think of it as a way to prove to yourself that you are better than you think you are, or that the end goal should be an ever increasing SR. Instead think of comp as a place where you can play serious, balanced games where both teams are roughly of the same skill level, and that this is a fun way to enjoy Overwatch.

I'm starting to see it as it's not about if it's balanced, but more about if it's fun.
Kind of like the triple tank meta. More of a nuisance to deal with. Yeah I can see why it's not enjoyable to play against.

The problem is, lack of communication.
Yep and it sucks but that's the only way people will learn to adopt. I feel bad for solo queue players because of the lack of communication.

komaruR

I think most of us approach comp with the wrong mindset (myself included), try not to think of it as a way to prove to yourself that you are better than you think you are, or that the end goal should be an ever increasing SR. Instead think of comp as a place where you can play serious, balanced games where both teams are roughly of the same skill level, and that this is a fun way to enjoy Overwatch.
experience tranquility!

LiK

Lol, Solo q and I end up matched with the Genji master we hated playing against in QP. His team didn't seem as good but at least we won.

Ayumi

Honestly, it's difficult to see it otherwise when you've got so many constantly bragging about their accomplishments. I'm all for being proud of yourself and your accomplishments (actually, I really enjoy seeing streams, forum posts and tweets from people who are super excited and proud of their results, it's motivating), but then there are people who just... act like elitists, and put others down a lot because they're ~so much better~. I don't want to sound salty (hell, I hate that word), but I do feel like this is a problematic mindset. And it's very demotivating. But what can ya do. Anyway, I agree with your post, and I will try to remind myself when I need it!

Anne

I haven't seen anyone that's angry. The changes were actually a pretty decent buff to Roadhog overall.

Overall the changes are a slight nerf, but the buffs he got in return make him more consistent and fun for skilled players to use. Most of the better Roadhogs can deal with the CD nerf and will happily take the spread buff. I personally think he feels way better and more fun to play since his gun works like an actual weapon rather than a slot machine.

kirblar

Bastion should lose 35% armor while healing, and his weak spot on the back should also be exempt from the 35% armor. Make it so if a Sombra catches him, he's dead.

maomaoIYP

Honestly, it's difficult to see it otherwise when you've got so many constantly bragging about their accomplishments. I'm all for being proud of yourself and your accomplishments (actually, I really enjoy seeing streams, forum posts and tweets from people who are super excited and proud of their results, it's motivating), but then there are people who just... act like elitists, and put others down a lot because they're ~so much better~. I don't want to sound salty (hell, I hate that word), but I do feel like this is a problematic mindset. And it's very demotivating. But what can ya do. Anyway, I agree with your post, and I will try to remind myself when I need it!

Yeah I get where you're coming from. I think part of the problem also comes from the fact that popular streamers, youtubers etc all tend to be pretty good and hence naturally some people will think that unless you're at that level, you're trash. I think that as long as you're having fun playing it, being in bronze or GM doesn't really matter.

I haven't had time to play since the patch or try out Bastion, but does his sentry/ult form have any sort of visual indication of the ironclad passive? If not, I really don't like the precedent that would set.

Anne

On a side note, apparently events have the ability to play on old patches now. APEX matches this week will be on the previous patch.

chur

The Floor is Lava!!!

I've been a Lucio main since launch and I finally got the trophy. Never thought it would happen.

finalflame

On a side note, apparently events have the ability to play on old patches now. APEX matches this week will be on the previous patch.

Hm. That's pretty trash, I'd expect/hope all events to be played based on whatever the latest patch is at match time.

Anyways, lol @ Liquid letting Grimreality basically shit on them from high ground multiple times during the last match on Gibraltar. Brought back PTSD of PUGs where nobody can check a good enemy DPS. With that said, I know it was a strategic choice on Liquid's part, but it didn't work out for them in the end.

ISOM

Went 7-3 and had some pretty crappy back end games of the 10 game placement and still placed Diamond. Happy about that.

I like most of the Bastion buffs but I think the passive is just too strong. He should not be able to survive being stuck with a Tracer ult when in turret form, that's just dumb.

So that the players don't have to get used to balance changes mid tourney?

Anne

The idea is to give teams an adequate amount of time to adjust to new changes instead of being dropped into an event days after a patch and needing to scramble for new strats and such.

This. You want the best team to win. Two days isn't enough time for both teams to adequately practice the new changes, so it's going to come down to who figured out the best secret strat first and ran it well. Figuring things out quickly is an important skill, but you don't want it to be the main one deciding your matches. You also don't want new gamebreaking bugs interfering either >_>

Whenever Sombra released she was banned from APEX RO8 for the same reasons. I'm assuming all of the first RO8 matches will be played on the old patch in the name of fairness, and then they'll move on to the new patch after that round is complete.

LiK

Zen discord makes Bastion a non issue esp if he doesn't have Rein to protect him. Teams tonight have been destroying him.

Anne

bleh, I want to see some hardcore adapting

Hardcore adapt to the team that figured out some dumb ass Bastion angle while Defense Matrix isn't in the game. Adapt to whatever other gamebreaking bug or balance change that isn't public yet with tens of thousands of dollars on the line.

Again, figuring out strats and adapting to new shit is important and shouldn't be downplayed, but there has to be a reasonable line drawn somewhere. A new volatile as hell patch 2 days before playoffs? That's a bit of a stretch.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hardcore adapt to the team that figured out some dumb ass Bastion angle while Defense Matrix isn't in the game. Adapt to whatever other gamebreaking bug or balance change that isn't public yet with tens of thousands of dollars on the line.

Again, figuring out strats and adapting to new shit is important and shouldn't be downplayed, but there has to be a reasonable line drawn somewhere. A new volatile as hell patch 2 days before playoffs? That's a bit of a stretch.
Tournaments having access and the ability to play on old patches means that Blizzard knows their patching habits throws a wrench in balance. Alternatively sidestepping that current balance for a tournament when it's only the way to play in Competitive makes the tournament seem irrelevant.

Anne

Tournaments having access and the ability to play on old patches means that Blizzard knows their patching habits throws a wrench in balance. Alternatively sidestepping that current balance for a tournament when it's only the way to play in Competitive makes the tournament seem irrelevant.

Not really? Like it just comes down to Blizzard can't reasonably patch around tournament schedules, and it's unfair for balance patches to change the flow of tournaments that drastically. This has been a thing in esports for actual decades now, and this is the compromise we've come to. Tournaments will be a bit slower on rotating patches in the interest of fairness to the players. Once enough time has passed they'll rotate to the new patch.

Like, I don't get why it can be seen as a bad thing to do? This way the players will have time to practice the new game before having to bank their literal finances on unknown bugs and gimmicks. Those stakes are a lot higher than your SR or whatever in comp mode, and they're going to be treated as such.

In case people dunno how much money is on the line in this thing:

e588442ccb.png

No offense, but I don't want to miss out on $80k and career opportunities because Blizzard couldn't code Defense Matrix to work correctly or some other asinine shit. Orgs know this, even Blizzard knows they aren't free of mistakes, so safeguards like this are going to exist.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not really? Like it just comes down to Blizzard can't reasonably patch around tournament schedules, and it's unfair for balance patches to change the flow of tournaments that drastically. This has been a thing in esports for actual decades now, and this is the compromise we've come to. Tournaments will be a bit slower on rotating patches in the interest of fairness to the players. Once enough time has passed they'll rotate to the new patch.

Like, I don't get why it can be seen as a bad thing to do? This way the players will have time to practice the new game before having to bank their literal finances on unknown bugs and gimmicks. Those stakes are a lot higher than your SR or whatever in comp mode, and they're going to be treated as such.

In case people dunno how much money is on the line in this thing:

No offense, but I don't want to miss out on $80k and career opportunities because Blizzard couldn't code Defense Matrix to work correctly or some other asinine shit.
Why not just delay the tournament then?

Anne

Why not just delay the tournament then?

Because these things have to run out of rented out space in tightly packed schedules that involve a lot of people with real lives and other obligations. Like, it just makes all practical sense to have the option to play on a previous patch until the tournaments catch up.

Some guy tilted and switched to Hanzo. So instead of a possible Draw, it was a Loss. Thanks dude.
I had no idea what tilting was until last season. Then I realized I did that constantly in season 2 lol. I learned in season 3 the best way to combat tilting is to take a break for a day. That's one of the reason I got from gold to diamond.

Anne

Also remember that Apex is a third party org. They have their own obligations and schedules.

Small correction, OGN is the org and studio behind this, APEX is just the name of the tournament series. Every day the OGN studio isn't being used for Overwatch it's being used for LCK(LoL) or something else.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Because these things have to run out of rented out space in tightly packed schedules that involve a lot of people with real lives and other obligations. Like, it just makes all practical sense to have the option to play on a previous patch until the tournaments catch up.
I mean I get it I fully understand the financial aspects and real world obligations. It's just I suppose I'm idealizing tournaments, but playing on previous patches just makes them seem slightly less interesting from the spectator pov.

Anne

I mean I get it I fully understand the financial aspects and real world obligations. It's just I suppose I'm idealizing tournaments, but playing on previous patches just makes them seem slightly less interesting from the spectator pov.

Yeah, it's perfectly human to want to see new crazy shit and have wild things happen. We also really wanna see how pro teams are busting out these new changes in games with really high stakes. I definitely feel you there, but at the same time I know it's unfair to the teams to do that while hurting the integrity of the results. Is what it is.

The thing with trip tank meta last APEX was a bit of a fiasco for instance.It's a very exciting story to tell, but results were pretty heavily impacted by all that nonsense. I'm assuming the LAN client now has a way to rollback patches as a direct result of team feedback regarding that incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom