• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Man Blizzard's decay system is such bullshit. Don't even want to do placements and actually play competitive because I know I can't play 7 games per week for the entire season. So there's absolutely no chance I can make a decent push for masters.

I was thinking about making a Master's push too, but it just seems difficult.

I'm always playing some flavor of the month survival game on PC with buddies since it's always a good time, what happens when a random GOTY indie game releases, or what happens if there is a life change to deal with (we're shopping for a new house right now)?

Sounds hyperbolic, but losing 300-400 SR breaks the whole season (citation needed for the actual numbers).

I'm not even playing this season yet because the meta sounds disastrous 😂😂😂😂😂

Skii

I really don't like the new decay system. I don't have a lot of time to play anymore so having to play 7 games a week is gonna be annoying.

Yeah I understand they want to deter smurfs from dominating the top 500 but this is the worst way to go about it. People that have smurfs are already hardcore into this game and will still have the time to play the required games every week anyway.

All this means is that for us normal people who have real world commitments, you can kiss your rank goodbye.

eh i'm low-mid diamond anyway so even if i decay it won't bother me much

it just means i won't bother trying to hit master

That is literally the problem though. They are actively discouraging players from playing competitive because they know they can't keep up with this aggressive decay system.

It's like they don't even understand that a large portion of their player base are in school/college/university and especially around this time won't be able to commit as much to playing the game.

Bydobob

Coming back to play after a long absence and it's weird to see so many Bastion picks. Also, since when did Lucio become a bad pick? Being called out for it is weird.

Can someone please summarise what the main buffs/nerfs have been since season 2. Feels like I'm way off the curve.

LiK

Coming back to play after a long absence and it's weird to see so many Bastion picks. Also, since when did Lucio become a bad pick? Being called out for it is weird.

Can someone please summarise what the main buffs/nerfs have been since season 2. Feels like I'm way off the curve.

Lucio is still good. Don't listen to them.

Grief.exe

Lucio is still good. Don't listen to them.

The supports need to be Mercy/Ana to fully support the Bastion meta.

Lucio now garbage tier.

😵😵😵😵😵😵😵

TheOddOne

Our god Jeff said stuff:
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback here, everyone. We know Bastion is a big focus for everyone right now. I've been playing online games since they existed and now working on them for almost 15 years. One of the things I've learned about online communities is that change -- any change -- can cause a lot of anxiety. Back when I was working on World of Warcraft, I used to say that if we mailed 500 gold to every player, the community would find some way to be upset about it... because change is bad.

With that said, we'll make some changes to Bastion and put them up on the PTR this morning. We'd love to hear your feedback about those changes when they go up. I don't have details right now because we're still making the changes!

I think it is interesting to reflect upon the idea of what the meta is, what the meta is perceived to be and what the meta should be. When I read some feedback about what the meta should be, I get the sense that for some people that means every hero in Overwatch is picked at the exact same rate (so everyone has a 4-5% pick rate). I'm not sure this is entirely realistic, nor do I think the game is necessarily better if this is the case. It might be and I would love to be wrong about that. One of the reasons that we try to keep all 4 of our game modes viable (I know the community thinks of it as 3 game modes or maybe 3.5) is because different maps and different game modes allow the meta to be more fluid. The more the community pushes us to eliminate maps or modes, the more the hero meta will stagnate. I totally agree that when the meta is too defined (i.e. people only play XYZ heroes) the game is less fun. So we need to watch for trends and adjust as needed.

One interesting thing is the actual meta vs. the perceived meta. The perceived meta is largely driven off of the professional scene and what gets played in tournaments. After those tournaments, really cool reports are written analyzing the pro scene. Those reports go out of their way to say that they are solely reflective of the pro scene and not necessarily representative of the playerbase at large. Yet people cite the pro pick choices as gospel. One thing that I found interesting was that there was a perception based on those reports and in the community that Mercy is never played. Yet according to our stats back during the "3 tank meta" when "Lucio and Ana were the only viable healers", Mercy was the 5th most played hero OVERALL -- and yes, I am talking about in Competitive Play, not Quick Play.

So often, the perception of what the meta is does not match what the actual meta is.

Balance changes can be very difficult to make when emotions run so high in the community. There is outrage if a hero does not get played a lot (like with Bastion or Symmetra). We make changes to make those heroes more viable which means they will get played more. The result is, people need to adjust to playing against Symmetra and Bastion more... and they are more powerful. We cannot just magically make Bastion get picked more so the stats look pretty and not make changes to make him more viable at the same time.

I want to share my personal opinion on Bastion (which is dangerous because I know I am a spokesperson for the game). I play every night. I'm playing both Quick Play and Competitive (I played 2 games of CTF to get my loot box). Over the past few nights I've played with, as and against Bastion. My perception is that he is a little too powerful right now. In particular, in one match I was playing Bastion and the enemy Tracer was trying to hunt me down. The Tracer player was clearly a better player than I am -- a very skilled individual. I relied heavily on my self-heal and the Tracer could not finish me off. But I was able to kill Tracer in recon mode almost through attrition. This part felt wrong to me. But a lot of the feedback I read feels wildly blown out of proportion. Bastion isn't the "I Win button" and he can be focused and countered. When a team is coordinated, he is far scarier than when a team is just playing a pick-up/deathmatch style of play -- and I've witnessed both over the past few nights. I think complaints and praise of Bastion are both valid. I don't think he's perfect yet. But I do think there is a high amount of hyperbole around this particular situation.

In any event, will put some changes up and we're eager to hear your thoughts.

LiK

I almost killed Bastion last night as Bastion but a Lucio used his Ult and gave him extra shields and I lost the 1v1. So Lucio is still pretty viable in Bastion meta.

Plus Lucio speed boost let's Bastion run around faster (as if we needed that).

Paltheos

Yeah guys. Hog's a giant target when he does that and unable to do anything else unless interrupted until the animation ends. It's not really comparable to Bastion for a number of reasons. Bastion can be mobile while self-healing and more importantly Ironclad is effectively a healing buff to all healing he receives in turret mode as only damage is reduced.

aeolist

Banned
That is literally the problem though. They are actively discouraging players from playing competitive because they know they can't keep up with this aggressive decay system.

It's like they don't even understand that a large portion of their player base are in school/college/university and especially around this time won't be able to commit as much to playing the game.

yeah it's a shitty system. the meta is discouraging too for that matter.

hopefully they'll see the relevant numbers go down and understand the changes that need to be made. i'm not even sure what problem they were trying to solve with the decay change though.

Anne

I agree mostly with what Jeff said. I feel like Bastion isn't a crisis and is blatantly leveling everything, but he's a little unfair and just plain too good in certain situations because of the health issues. I also think the community reaction is fucking crazy, and the community perception of metagaming is extremely off. I follow pro meta and comp meta pretty closely and have openly talked about the differences, but like when I zoom over to reddit shit is /wild/.

Only thing I disagree with is the Mercy stat he quoted. Mercy has an extremely high pick rate, but I think that has less to do with meta relevance and more to do with people just liking Mercy and her being basic to play. At the same time, the Mercy buff is actually pretty large, so I guess somebody there agrees that she needs some love. I think comp ladder pick rates are nice to get an idea of where perceptions and bias are, but you need to compare them to what pros are doing and what is easily observable.

This whole Bastion thing has taught me that people actually don't know what metagaming is when they refer to this game. They just think it's characters/strats that are picked often. That's only like half of what a metagame is :T

Paltheos

As always, Jeff is very reasonable.

This wasn't really a necessary bit, but I like that he added it in there: Not every hero has or maybe should have an equal pick rate. Certain heroes will be preferable in certain situations only, and that's ok. For sure it raises the barrier to entry for people looking to play competitively, but again I think that's ok.

LiK

Every Comp game last night had a Mercy. I know they were just placements but it seems like people still like using her and her rez is def annoying during clutch moments.

Anne

Every Comp game last night had a Mercy. I know they were just placements but it seems like people still like using her and her rez is def annoying during clutch moments.

I think the buff made her comp ladder viability a lot higher actually. It's a pretty big buff. In pro games it also makes her a bit better too so we might see her more. Only issue is she has to compete with Ana/Lucio more directly there.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Very reasonable response from Jeff. Glad to see that some tweaks are coming, though it's somewhat strange that they're only coming in now when people have been talking about those same issues in PTR long before release.

Well, a Mercy pocketing Bastion is really good right now, especially with a bunch of shields on top. And a Mercy swooping in to instantly rez your fallen Bastion is also really good right now.

darklin0

Banned
Very reasonable response from Jeff. Glad to see that some tweaks are coming, though it's somewhat strange that they're only coming in now when people have been talking about those same issues in PTR long before release.

It probably has something to do with how consoles get patched. With consoles wanting to be on the same patch as PC, PTR ended up as preview for what is too come.

aeolist

Banned
I think the buff made her comp ladder viability a lot higher actually. It's a pretty big buff. In pro games it also makes her a bit better too so we might see her more. Only issue is she has to compete with Ana/Lucio more directly there.

i think if she were buffed and bastion left as he was before she'd only be seeing a small uptick in play. it's much more about her synergy with the turret than the res invincibility.

SoldnerKei

You can't get rid of the best gal in the game, Mercy will be there, be shit or not, but people will play her because it's Mercy ~<3

I haven't mess with competitive yet, instead I have been trying to play widow more and more, she is quite fun once I can actually land hits, and QP is more forgiving when I pick her than whenever I pick hanzo lol of course I am not picking them in comp, not yet or just not in solo queue huehue

ISOM

As always, Jeff is very reasonable.

This wasn't really a necessary bit, but I like that he added it in there: Not every hero has or maybe should have an equal pick rate. Certain heroes will be preferable in certain situations only, and that's ok. For sure it raises the barrier to entry for people looking to play competitively, but again I think that's ok.

I made this exact argument when people were complaining about Widow buffs.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Maybe I should get some practice on Hanzo or Widow. Lacking long range firepower REALLY sucks against even a small Bastion nest.

LiK

I like Jeff but how he wasn't able to see how ridiculously strong Bastion was in PTR is beyond me. Even his Ironclad was a bit much from the testing people did. I'm glad they're already gonna fix this.

Well, a Mercy pocketing Bastion is really good right now, especially with a bunch of shields on top. And a Mercy swooping in to instantly rez your fallen Bastion is also really good right now.
can confirm
I like Jeff but how he wasn't able to see how ridiculously strong Bastion was in PTR is beyond me. Even his Ironclad was a bit much from the testing people did. I'm glad they're already gonna fix this.
jeff had that time he talked about not enough people being on the PTR to really assess balance changes that i rolled my eyes at.

Anne

i think if she were buffed and bastion left as he was before she'd only be seeing a small uptick in play. it's much more about her synergy with the turret than the res invincibility.

I don't really think so. The after effects of Mercy surviving through rez are really noticeable. Even without Bastion Rez just got a lot better since you know you'll have her on support building another one immediately after. It's a pretty big buff and I like it a lot.

(I also think it's not always correct to run Mercy just cause Bastion but that's another story)

Skii

Mercy's invulnerability is a really good buff. Flankers just can't really commit to killing her now as she'll just do a one man res. As a Genji player, you can't really commit with dash because you might not get the kill and therefore have no reset.

And then the obvious buff of her being part of the team fight after a big res.

Shouta

People are already bitching about Bastion? I've been on hiatus since before the patch because of a ton of other games but been playing the last few nights and he seems good but not a huge problem other than a few specific situations.

Anne

People are already bitching about Bastion? I've been on hiatus since before the patch because of a ton of other games but been playing the last few nights and he seems good but not a huge problem other than a few specific situations.

The general community has had a full and total meltdown. The entire main subreddit is dominated with almost every high up post being about him.

He is too good, but the community reaction is unholy. Especially considering that he;s actually not that OP, he's just blatantly doing something out of line.

aeolist

Banned
probably the weirdest thing is that ana is still the most broken character in the game. i'd say even more so now since she's one of the few that's pretty strong against bastion.

Skii

Her grenade is just one of the best abilities in the game and it seems like a pretty future-proof ability as well.

This game has too much damage so the ability to heal quicker is ridiculously good And then along with that, the ability to stop others healing that immense damage being pumped out has made her meta-defining.

She's not broken but the way she works means she'll always have a high pickrate.

chur

Yeah I hate people's reaction to Bastion. I have teammates refusing to switch off of him, and I have teammates targeting him first even though the person playing Bastion on the other team isn't doing much. It's funny because I had this same experience in comp S1.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nice reply from Jeff.

I think a big portion of the outcry is just that people kinda hate Bastion. It's a running theme I've always seen (and went through myself) when I looked at betas or new players jumping in, he's always a complete pain in the ass for people until they get better at the game. A lot of people on gaf are always tuned in more with high level through tournies and such but there are a wide range of skill levels and I am sure new Bastion is totally fucking the mid to bottom again since he still isn't exactly hard to play.

At a higher level with more coordination, while he certainly isn't unbeatable the matches are just stupid and...not fun.

Yeah I understand they want to deter smurfs from dominating the top 500 but this is the worst way to go about it. People that have smurfs are already hardcore into this game and will still have the time to play the required games every week anyway.

All this means is that for us normal people who have real world commitments, you can kiss your rank goodbye.

It's still a good change for top 500 specifically I think since even if the people with smurfs etc. are playing enough, they were basically squatting on the top ranks (like 50+) on their main and only doing one game per week to basically force it to be maintained. 7 makes it so they need to be much more active which also makes them a lot more vulnerable to actually dropping, and having to finish in the top 500 for it to count is a really interesting change alongside that.

But I definitely agree on the rest and the decay hits way too low. There is no reason people in diamond or even masters should have to do that. There's so much stuff people might have to juggle around and even without looking at school/work there's just other games. I don't only play OW and when something like Zelda comes out I'm going to take a break from the game which would feel bad if it meant coming back and seeing me back at 3000 each time I do that.

LiK

I think people liked Season 3 balance overall and suddenly it's all Bastion all the time. So there's extra salt.

Anne

As soon as I see Nanoboosted Bastion Ult, it's time to GTFO cuz you won't be killing him. lol

Spoilers: It was like this prepatch too.

Idk, I'm just kinda rolling at a lot of these gifs of people failing to kill the thing with ults cause like, a lot of that style of stuff was already happening before. It just wasn't so braindead to do.

The elitist in me is screaming that it's become apparent not a lot of people know how to play a teamfight on a macro level other than dumping as much damage as possible into the thing they wanna kill. Blizzard introduced something that just by default won't let you do that and everybody had a massive meltdown. The fact that Ana was already doing dumb shit to get people through nanoblade and junk is a telling sign people don't actually know what's up.

LiK

Idk, I'm just kinda rolling at a lot of these gifs of people failing to kill the thing with ults cause like, a lot of that style of stuff was already happening before. It just wasn't so braindead to do.

The elitist in me is screaming that it's become apparent not a lot of people know how to play a teamfight on a macro level other than dumping as much damage as possible into the thing they wanna kill. Blizzard introduced something that just by default won't let you do that and everybody had a massive meltdown. The fact that Ana was already doing dumb shit to get people through nanoblade and junk is a telling sign people don't actually know what's up.

Never bothered me prepatch. But now nanoboosted Ironclad makes him near invincible.

I don't find new Bastion a huge pain to deal with overall but some things are just crazy to deal with.

aeolist

Banned

this is the entire problem.

bastion's kind of a braindead pick to begin with, and pocketing him with rein/ana/mercy takes no thought or effort at all. and it's obviously not unbeatable, but the fact is that it takes more skill to beat than to play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I think it being so braindead is making it extra salty.

Plus you could look at it as while nanotank was always kinda nuts, you had to run a bastion for it. With that not a downside it's just another perk for him since Ana is always dumb.

rulerk1

So does all this complaining about bastion confirm that the player base for this game either has poor game sense or they are horrible with team fights/ coordination.

I mean the only op thing about bastion I would say would be his healing and how he's able to survive certain situations because of it but I say that shit about soldiers dumb healing station

Edit: holy shit!

I don't even think Bastion is crazy OP, but he's in a place where he's powerful enough that teams will build the comp around him (arguably this has long been happening with Ana), and the gameplay that those comps engender is just not as fun to play or watch.

Like, having to do a rapid calculation in my head of whether the shields, healing and buff/debuff we're currently splashing on our Bastion will outweigh what they're splashing on theirs while both hold down LMB is ... dull?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom