• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I mean you say that, and I don't wanna bash you because you're probably fine, but it's not about teamwork. It's about teamfight. The character just doesn't have the tools to do it on any level that is close to the rest of the cast. That's just kind of a fact.

As long as I'm zoning out the enemy and keeping them away from my team by blowing them up then I think that's good enough. Soon we'll play together and I can show you my own style (in QP of course).

Azoor

Sombra is a really good counter to Orisa. I played a game where I was Lucio and Sombra's EMP basically made Orisa Reinhardt and Zenyatta pretty much useless. We got destroyed by the other team.

My one suggestion is if you play with the mindset of caring about your teammates, then you will win.
It does tend to work better.
Those matches where you wordlessly have this back to back bond with another solo queue player covering each others arses, it's almost enough to make up for the times where you throw yourself into danger to help a struggling teammate and they respond by using the opportunity to escape and leave you to perish.

Anne

As long as I'm zoning out the enemy and keeping them away from my team by blowing them up then I think that's good enough. Soon we'll play together (in QP) of course.

Like, that's enough in any game not named Overwatch. At some point or another both teams will get together and blow resources meanwhile Junkrat doesn't really have resources to blow and impact that fight.

I hate to call you out (especially cause I think you're just being insistent for the hell of it), but if you honestly believe that what you're doing with Junkrat is going to be enough to consistently push through teamfights and win games, you're the kind of player I'm talking about that's just been mislead by the game design.

^ You guys haven't played with me. I'm like the best teamwork Junk. I stick with my team most of the time. Just ask other Gaffers here. ;)

I've played with you and seen your Junkrat in action - honestly I think you're just better at Junkrat team fighting than I am. My Junkrat was forged in the depths of Gold solo queue hell where I had to lone wolf it.

Like, that's enough in any game not named Overwatch. At some point or another both teams will get together and blow resources meanwhile Junkrat doesn't really have resources to blow and impact that fight.

I hate to call you out (especially cause I think you're just being insistent for the hell of it), but if you honestly believe that what you're doing with Junkrat is going to be enough to consistently push through teamfights and win games, you're the kind of player I'm talking about that's just been mislead by the game design.

I think the thing is with Junkrat is that his success in a teamfight is primarily based on predicting how the teamfight will play out. If his trap is in the right place, he could immobilize a key player that can get picked. He also can't RipTire effectively in the middle of a fight - he has to either let it go ahead of time and predict where the enemy team is going to group up, or it's an exclamation point to pick off stragglers at the end.

Problem is most people playing him don't include that predictive part. They get the spam bombs down and that's it. Junkrats can be good in a teamfight but it requires a different mindset than how most other Overwatch characters approach the fight.

Edit: Didn't mean to double post here, whoops.

Anne

I think the thing is with Junkrat is that his success in a teamfight is primarily based on predicting how the teamfight will play out. If his trap is in the right place, he could immobilize a key player that can get picked. He also can't RipTire effectively in the middle of a fight - he has to either let it go ahead of time and predict where the enemy team is going to group up, or it's an exclamation point to pick off stragglers at the end.

Problem is most people playing him don't include that predictive part. They get the spam bombs down and that's it. Junkrats can be good in a teamfight but it requires a different mindset than how most other Overwatch characters approach the fight.

It's not even that. Like, even if he is predicting things he's not actively participating in and changing teamfights, and like that's just where it ends. If you watch high level gameplay, the Junkrat gimmick that teams run is they pick maps where it's extremely hard to get good team fights going and just use him to win the first ultless push by whatever damage margin, and then just prevent team fights the rest of the game. The second the team actually needs to teamfight for whatever reason, he gets witched off of.

He's actually good at being a team fight deterrent, but at the end of the day they are going to happen and once a team is set up for decent team fights he just gets rolled because he can't gain any ground to set up those deterrents. It's just the nature of the gameflow and he doesn't fit. Once you learn good team fighting macro stuff it becomes painfully obvious, but like I'd need to write a book to explain some of that stuff.

LiK

Like I said, you'll know when we play together. There's no point in arguing if you haven't even seen me play him. We always end up arguing about Junk's usefulness. Most enemy teams don't know how to deal with him and that's always a plus in my book.

I understand where you're coming from cuz I hear the same complaints from some Ow YouTubers about him as well.

I've played with you and seen your Junkrat in action - honestly I think you're just better at Junkrat team fighting than I am. My Junkrat was forged in the depths of Gold solo queue hell where I had to lone wolf it.

Thanks! What was your PSN again?

Edit: Didn't mean to double post here, whoops.

His trap is one of the best abilities in the game, imo. I love stopping Rein charges and also setting it up to trap tanks like Zarya and D.va while I try to cause as much damage as possible.

I wrote something similar about Destiny back in the day, but here is how I've always imagined the different levels of PvP structure to work:

Beginner Level
This starts with character familiarity. Mystery Heroes is a great place to get your feet wet. It's not about know specfics, it's more about picking stuff up like which characters are faster, and which are slower. Which ones have fast shooting guns, which ones have slow. Which ones have offense abilities, healing, defensive, mobility abilities. Because character interaction is the root of this game, and there are so many characters, this is the baseline of all future interactions and advanced skills.

Knowing every characters kit is a good sign you've climbed beyond a beginner.​

Novice Level
This is where map familiarity starts to come into play. Every map has a unique geometry to it, on top of different game types and of course health pack locations. The way the characters interact with that geometry will start to become important. You'll begin to understand where widows and hanzos hang out. Where Rein's like to setup. Where Roadhogs like to stalk. Where Reapers like to perch.

You'll begin to develop a bit of muscle memory regarding map geometry once you've reached a certain point. Like, Gibralter's first checkpoint is coming up, and the attackers have a Reaper on their team. So you start reflexively looking on top of that corner structure to see if he's going to drop an Ult soon.​

Amatuer Level
Counter plays are going to start coming into play. Now that you've become familiar with the characters and the maps, you've started getting a sense for which characters seem to be able to win against specific enemy characters. Now you might find yourself switching character to better counter the enemy team, or to create better synergy.

You've started to learn that Tracer can charge her Ult crazy fast against an enemy Roadhog. You've started to learn that Winston can chew up an enemy Hanzo that's too far away from his teammates. You've started using Ults to counter other Ults, or Abilities to stop Ults dead. You've decided to play a Zarya to combo with the Hanzo on your team. Or an Ana to work with the Rein and DVa combo. You've even found yourself switching to a different character even though you've had your Ult ready to go for 2 full minutes but couldn't find the right time to use it.

You may also find yourself trying to peak at the enemy team before the game officially starts to you can better pick your character to go out the door with.​

Expert Level
Muscle Memory is taking over fully at this point. You see a Roadhog hook and you know you've got a window to move in on him before he can 1HKO you or a teammate. You see a Lucio use his Ult, so you count to 5 and then activate your Tactical Visor. You see the enemy Zen go Transcendance, so you wait a sec and then charge him as Rein so that by the time his Ult is over he'll hit the wall shortly.

Map geometry is second nature at this point, as is damage intake. You step out of a door and get hit from 10 o'clock. Not only do you know almost exactly where the enemy is shooting you, but you can tell from the pacing of the bullets exactly who it is. And knowing that information you have already made the fight of flight call.

You're running a mental clock on how the enemy team Ults are looking. Putting pressure on the more lethal characters in hopes they're use a Ult in a poor situation. You're trying to force the enemy team to split up so that you can attack them without a healer. You can glance at the clock and know that you've got 3 more solid attempts at caping the objective before the round is over. You know that even though you've killed 4 of the enemy team members, you're hesitating to kill the 5th simply because it would force more time out of them to regroup later on.

Obviously there are more elements at play here, but I feel like this is a decent summary of the different levels of skill.

It's not even that. Like, even if he is predicting things he's not actively participating in and changing teamfights, and like that's just where it ends. If you watch high level gameplay, the Junkrat gimmick that teams run is they pick maps where it's extremely hard to get good team fights going and just use him to win the first ultless push by whatever damage margin, and then just prevent team fights the rest of the game. The second the team actually needs to teamfight for whatever reason, he gets witched off of.

He's actually good at being a team fight deterrent, but at the end of the day they are going to happen and once a team is set up for decent team fights he just gets rolled because he can't gain any ground to set up those deterrents. It's just the nature of the gameflow and he doesn't fit. Once you learn good team fighting macro stuff it becomes painfully obvious, but like I'd need to write a book to explain some of that stuff.

I think I understand what you're saying, but if I don't this question won't make any sense: So how does what Junkrat is good at (deterring teamfights) make him worse than a character who is centered around getting a pick at the beginning of a teamfight (i.e. Roadhog's hook)? Aren't both essentially accomplishing the same thing - making the fight 6v5 or 6v4?

Is it just that (for instance) Roadhog has a kit that can still participate in the fight after his hook, while Junkrat's kit is primarily based around not having a teamfight at all, so it leaves him less options?

Thanks! What was your PSN again?.

I'm PolluxOil on PSN.

Anne

I think I understand what you're saying, but if I don't this question won't make any sense: So how does what Junkrat is good at (deterring teamfights) make him worse than a character who is centered around getting a pick at the beginning of a teamfight (i.e. Roadhog's hook)? Aren't both essentially accomplishing the same thing - making the fight 6v5 or 6v4?

Is it just that (for instance) Roadhog has a kit that can still participate in the fight after his hook, while Junkrat's kit is primarily based around not having a teamfight at all, so it leaves him less options?

Your second sentence is more or less true. Also, Roadhog's tools are just better at stopping fights before they start. Basically, Junkrat's deterrent is extremely limited space wise, where something like Roadhog's isn't. That's the general difference. Other than that, yeah whenever a teamfight happens RH can deal lots of damage and has hook/heal + a good ult too.

Here's a better example: Torbjorn. Torb's teamfighting is kinda ass too and requires set up, but why is he used a bit more? His set up will /always/ result in damage and ult charge at some minimum. It will always at least require attention. He will almost always prevent damage via armor, which is important for team fights. He will always be able to shotgun tanks with his M2. To top it all off, molten core is a stupidly strong ult that can instantly end a teamfight. He's actually a lot similar to Junkrat, but since all of his stuff is for sure going to impact a teamfight at least in a marginal way, he can get some use.

Junkrat has like none of that unfortunately :T I've played with and against Chro the Junkrat god himself and I'm thoroughly unimpressed by his impact. He's good enough to murder people with mechanics though, which is something in soloq that gets you mad far. But, after peeping his stats and playing with him I think even he knows he's not having nearly as much impact as he could with just about any other character.

Jellie

Make the best decision to win the team fight, rather than just the one that gets the most kills and stuff. Like, what's better? Setting it up so your team can kill Soldier on high ground or killing a couple people on low ground while Soldier damages you? Really basic example. It's just figuring out how to successfully make the play that will make you outright win a fight rather than just get a kill or space. In a game with as heavy resource management as this it's really important to do.

Idk, like when I play Ana for example I hold every CD for a "roadmap" of how to win a fight. Like, I can give Soldier Nanovisor to kill a Rein shield + 3 people. Or, I can give an ultless Genji my Nanoboost so he can go kill a single Soldier. In a lot of instances, the latter is the better decision. I have a very clear way to fight and win from there. If I just throw ults and damage at the enemy team sure we could just wipe them off those kills, or we can eat a nanovisor in the ass after we blew ults/CDs and just wipe. Getting the highest impact for the least resources is your goal while setting up a winning teamfight form there.

Here's an extra thought on this: This is why at pro and max level Bastion is just a bit strong rather than the ender of all worlds. His teamfighting impact can be severely mitigated while you clean up his team, then you kill him. Bluntly, pouring ult resources into Bastion is dumb as fuck, pour the resources into Ana or Rein or something so he can't be protected for a fight, People don't know that though then freak the fuck out when they dump 3 ults into it and it survives from double pockets.
Man when I nano an ultless hero they get mad at me. Even though Ana gets ult like so fast. Would you say identifying what hero's are key to the next team fight is kinda on the same lines as what you are saying? Like trying to keep zarya with grav alive or identifying what ults enemy team has and eliminating them asap?

LiK

Anne, i appreciate Chro's skills but yes, I agree that dude has absolutely no teamwork in his bones. I don't really play like that to be honest.

Incendiary, ah, didn't know that was you. I'll add ya next time.

Anne

Man when I nano an ultless hero they get mad at me. Even though Ana gets ult like so fast. Would you say identifying what hero's are key to the next team fight is kinda on the same lines as what you are saying? Like trying to keep zarya with grav alive or identifying what ults enemy team has and eliminating them asap?

Yeah, that's the basic idea. What really matters is the execution of the fight. Like can you identify what you're trying to do, set it up, and follow it through while dealing with the reactions of the enemy team?

it gets pretty hard but is totally worth it

LiK

I think they just don't expect it.

Roxkis_ii

Forgive me if this was mentioned already, but are there any strategies against a Reinhart+Mercy+bastion combo?

It doesn't seem like I can get a team to survive long enough to even get Rein's shield down to begin to even do damage to a double pocketed bastion on defence.

Btw, I don't even have an adjective for how weak this bastion team comp meta is.

The b his/her name is keep lowercase out of disrespect.

Jellie

Yeah, that's the basic idea. What really matters is the execution of the fight. Like can you identify what you're trying to do, set it up, and follow it through while dealing with the reactions of the enemy team?
I prioritise healing those who I think will have a big impact when I'm Ana. Can't really do much except call out who I think on their team will ult us.
it gets pretty hard but is totally worth it

I think they just don't expect it.
Even when I tell them I want to on mic they are like no I don't have ult. Then when I die they get ult and use it immedietly. I come back and they tell me to save it for their next ult and I just sit on it for half a game.
I would like to know who has the best aim on gaf. I wish there was a way to see that.

Whoever can kill the most Lucio bots in 2 minutes with Mccree.
Forgive me if this was mentioned already, but are there any strategies against a Reinhart+Mercy+bastion combo?

It doesn't seem like I can get a team to survive long enough to even get Rein's shield down to begin to even do damage to a double pocketed bastion on defence.

Btw, I don't even have an adjective for how weak this bastion team comp meta is.

The b his/her name is keep lowercase out of disrespect.

EMP will pretty much destroy that set up.

Wonder if Orisa and Reinhardt are used together a lot then would Junkrat be used a bit to break barriers?

LiK

Shame the console patch isn't gonna be released yet. Probably won't see it until Orisa comes out going by the rolling into larger patch comment.

exYle

Played with a Gaffer's friend and she was placed in Gold last season and she tilts so easily. I mean, literally yell and curse from every death. She's funny but man, the tilting explains so much.

Lol are you talking about Lynncs? I like her a lot, she's fun to play with. But yeah, Mercy mains seem not to be happy people hahaha

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Glad to see the patch hit so soon.

I'm fine with the nanoboosts without ult sometimes. The more I play healers, the more I understand how fast they build ult. That's why it's really not a big deal to do small resses with Mercy unless a big ult fight is coming up, because she'll probably have it back like in like 30-60 seconds anyway.

If I'm Soldier and I just get nanoboost without Visor, I just do what Ana says and just get in there. Not a big deal to use it without visor. I'm just a bit tankier and pack more of a punch, and sometimes I can capitalize on that.

I'm not sure I follow the talk about macro. From what I've seen, a lot of attack strategies tend to boil down to some form of "Neutralize/kill key threats > clean up rest of team thanks to team size advantage". That's how the priority usually goes. You don't do it the other way around by trying to get picks while ignoring key threats. But a Soldier uncontested on high ground *is* a key threat in many cases, so I don't understand the logic of ignoring Soldier on high ground to try to get picks below him, which is the very ground he's trying to cover. That's a disadvantageous way to start the fight unless you have some way to beat the odds.

Having said that, if you somehow do manage to get those three kills on low ground despite a Soldier on high ground, the Soldier is likely to die soon too due to the man advantage. Same goes for if you manage to kill the enemy Rein + 3 people with a nanoboost. The remaining Soldier can probably harass and stall for a bit, but his days are likely numbered.

As for Bastion + people pocketing him, that depends on your team's capabilities, I think. The best way to go about it would be to kill the Mercy first, but obviously the Mercy will be trying to stay somewhere safe while she pockets Bastion. And sometimes it's possible to burst down the Bastion hard enough to kill him before Mercy can save him. More coordinated teams can probably just dive the shit out of a Bastion nest, but you probably don't have that in pugs.

ive lost or drawn every single game ive played ana.
i played like 8 games with her
0% wr so far.
wtfffffffffffff

mayb im having the worst luck with team mates (last match had widow main while a winston kept jumping her) or im actually sucking hard with her now for some reason.
feelsobad

Anne

D.Va bug fixed, Winston bug fixed, Bastion down to 20%, but most importantly damage reduction cap is now 50% instead of 70%

LiK

I just watched a test video and Genji Ult is completely useless against sentry mode Bastion while he heals even after nerf.

antitrop

You in love with the Mercy buff as much as I am?

Since the buff was initially announced, I was keeping mental note of all the times it would have saved me on live server. It was a ridiculous amount.

I've already felt it pay off in a few games. Between this recent buff and her faster regenerating HP, she feels a lot better to play than she did in Season 2.

I think she still needs another small utility buff and maybe an ult charge nerf to compensate.

Lol are you talking about Lynncs? I like her a lot, she's fun to play with. But yeah, Mercy mains seem not to be happy people hahaha

I dunno, Owzers seems like a pretty happy guy. 🤔

No one here on GAF is immune to tilt. It's how you are when you're not upset is how I determine whether I like you or not

I hate it when I tilt while I'm playing with other GAF people because I turn into a whiner when I tilt. "Guys we need to group up. Guys we need to take out that Pharah. Guuuuyyyhhhhssssssssarrrggghhhhh."

komaruR

It's not. Ranked is a bucket, not a ladder. It places people of similar skill together so they can have fun and a fair fight.

Unless you were talking about that ass that made the video who decided to go down on lower ranks to ruin games and make fun of people.
Man, dunno how many people he had to drag down to get to that SR. Throwing with a 6stack is 1 thing but throwing with innocent randoms is just inhuman.

Is there a SR penalty for a full stack? I think you don't earn as much compared to solo q or duo q or something when you win.

I also hate the overdog/underdog system.
I think back in Season1 and early Season 2?? you get little SR from grouping up together but think its all sorted out now.

Well some people tend to think they should go all out when they get nano'ed (like me) when in fact it sometime its not required? Its kinda psychological disrupt their play rhythm.

I would like to know who has the best aim on gaf. I wish there was a way to see that.
1v1 me breh
Is there even an option to set skirmish ffa? or it have to be A vs B team only? Would like to get into a ultless/no ability mccree ffa for some shootout practice lol.

Lol, you guys calling her out. She don't read gaf does she?

Anyone mind posting the patch note here. battle.net is block at my work, so can't read it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom