• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

Have I solo-rez'd someone just to keep myself alive as Mercy? You're damn right I did.
Did it work? Damn right it did.

If you're saving yourself with it, I guess it doesn't even really count as a solo-rez, you're essentially rezzing yourself, too.

Ok I think I finally reached my nirvana state within the game, not really, but I had one of those clarity moments when solo playing comp yesterday, I managed to get a triple headshot kill with hanzo on Hanamura attack, killed 2 more on point with the ultimate, we only managed to capture A and at least tie the game, I think it was display of luck more than skill, but man It will help me appreciate a good Hanzo on the team even more, he can get shit done.

envyus needs to drop Mickie. He just fails to make himself relevant in almost every game. Besides that, he almost forces the team to play 3x Tank simply because they have a player who can't play any role but Tank - not to mention that he is only marginally better than the average GM player when he isn't on D.Va.

Big things are happening in competitive Overwatch outside of Korea - NRGs new lineup changes, Hammers rising up from the lower tiers, Immortals astounding growth as a team, NiP's quiet dominance over the EU "scene" - and I wouldn't be surprised if envyus comes back from APEX to find a whole new world.

Skii

envyus needs to drop Mickie. He just fails to make himself relevant in almost every game. Besides that, he almost forces the team to play 3x Tank simply because they have a player who can't play any role but Tank - not to mention that he is only marginally better than the average GM player when he isn't on D.Va.

Big things are happening in competitive Overwatch outside of Korea - NRGs new lineup changes, Hammers rising up from the lower tiers, Immortals astounding growth as a team, NiP's quiet dominance over the EU "scene" - and I wouldn't be surprised if envyus comes back from APEX to find a whole new world.

How are NiP dominating the EU scene? Rogue and Misfits have both had significant roster changes and both should be improving significantly within the next couple of months.

KanameYuuki

I find those "What ults can Bastion survive" so pointless, it's not like we are going to have ult always up and ready for every fight with him, it's mostly and pretty much only important to know how long does it take to kill a bastion with normal firing and if we can actually out heal him, like can a Pharrah actually kill a bastion without using all of her clip and things like that, because on normal gameplay that's what you are going to be using and that's where lies the problem, killing a bastion when all of his other 5 teammates are in the battlefield is were lies the problem.

Anne

Dude Mickey is actually a DPS player. In fact, Mickey's hero pool and talents honestly have little to do with why Envy is losing. A lot of it has to do with their other DPS player's having really limited hero pools and them not coming up with playbooks other than their standard shit.

Also I'm not convinced at all anything happening outside of Korea will compare to what's happening in it tbh. Envy will def have new competition but honestly they can easily be ahead of the western pack.

I find those "What ults can Bastion survive" so pointless, it's not like we are going to have ult always up and ready for every fight with him, it's mostly and pretty much only important to know how long does it take to kill a bastion with normal firing and if we can actually out heal him, like can a Pharrah actually kill a bastion without using all of her clip and things like that, because on normal gameplay that's what you are going to be using and that's where lies the problem, killing a bastion when all of his other 5 teammates are in the battlefield is were lies the problem.

Yep, you are also not going to face him alone either, so all these demonstrations are pretty useless in practice.

LiK

It's not bad if you happen to be in a 1v1 situation. Doesn't hurt to have that knowledge in your database.

TheOddOne

- Muselk: Overwatch Mythbusters - Orisa Edition *Warning: bad music*

animation19tu82.gif

animation2wlu7s.gif

Ohh, custom games are going to be fun.
Dude Mickey is actually a DPS player. In fact, Mickey's hero pool and talents honestly have little to do with why Envy is losing. A lot of it has to do with their other DPS player's having really limited hero pools and them not coming up with playbooks other than their standard shit.
Yeah, I got that impression too.

Owzers

I dunno, Owzers seems like a pretty happy guy. 🤔

I hate it when I tilt while I'm playing with other GAF people because I turn into a whiner when I tilt. "Guys we need to group up. Guys we need to take out that Pharah. Guuuuyyyhhhhssssssssarrrggghhhhh."
Rein makes me yell internally as I slowly get killed from all angles.

Skii

It's not bad if you happen to be in a 1v1 situation. Doesn't hurt to have that knowledge in your database.

But do those tests show what happens if the Bastion is shooting at you instead of healing through the ult? I'm certain he can just kill a lot of ulting enemies rather than healing through it.

LiK

But do those tests show what happens if the Bastion is shooting at you instead of healing through the ult? I'm certain he can just kill a lot of ulting enemies rather than healing through it.

Yup, I thought about that but something like healing through Hanzo Ult instead of running away was good to know.

Gorillaz

Pretty much. Like obviously people can dive bastion, but it's not really a 1 v 6 game

Also I'm not convinced at all anything happening outside of Korea will compare to what's happening in it tbh. Envy will def have new competition but honestly they can easily be ahead of the western pack.

How is Mickie actually a DPS player? He hasn't played anything but Tank since he was on WeedTime or whatever his last team was. Unless we want to make the argument on whether he is playing a DPS-role as a Tank, in which case the meta for that is over. Talking about their other DPS' hero pools and playbooks but saying that Mickie isn't an issue seems pretty silly. HarryHook was originally their main support with Hulk being moved to Support since he is the main shot caller and can't play DPS as a result.

Enter Mickie - note that HarryHook and not Mickie is playing DPS, which kind of contradicts the Mickie DPS idea - who could be replaced by a player who can actually play a flanker or Pharah well as opposed to being the least valuable tank player. That opens up Harry to go back to Support and Hulk - who was an excellent Winston player pre-Talespin leaving - taking the non-Reinhardt tank role. The whole issue with EnvyUs stems from them being locked into different roles due to Mickie.

How are NiP dominating the EU scene? Rogue and Misfits have both had significant roster changes and both should be improving significantly within the next couple of months.

NiP has something close to a 90% winrate over the last six months from the (admittedly meager) pickings of the EU tournaments, not to mention they have been playing insanely well in scrims. We very well might see Rogue and Misfits come back, but right now NiP is sitting in the sun.. well, as much of the sun as they can be in with the OW League coming up and EU getting sidelined again.

KanameYuuki

Bad wording from me back there, It's nice to know that now I'll actually be able to Tracer bomb him so not pointless but leaving a ton of side information aside, like ult info is enough to see the whole picture.

All I can say about this topic is that balancing a game must so be nerve wracking, you are never going to please everyone. God bless all these game developers.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I though it was interesting how Envyus put Harryhook on Zarya instead of Mickie, instead letting Mickie go with D.Va. That didn't seem to work well for them, though.

I just single ulted a Bastion close-up with Roadhog, after receiving a sound barrier.

I still lost :(

Assuming you were close enough to do good damage to the Bastion as Roadhog using his Ult, this also means you were within Bastion's full damage range on his gun. And since you were using your Ult, you weren't very mobile, meaning Bastion probably landed all his shots on you.

So Roadhog has 600hp
Bastion does 15 damage per bullet at 30 rounds per second. This means it takes Bastion 40 rounds to do 600 damage, which is 1.3 seconds of concentrated fire.

Sound barrier gives you 500hp, so that means the Bastion could solo kill a Roadhog in 74 bullets, or 2.5 seconds worth of damage.

This is of course assuming you or the Bastion weren't taking any damage from any other target.

Either way, I believe it. But I also believe this would have happened before the patch, too.

RemiLP

That opens up Harry to go back to Support

Didnt Harry start playing soldier cos he is great at it, and better than anyone else, and not cos he had to?

I think i remember talespin saying on stream one time that harry was beating everyone 1vs1 on mcree and soldier. That was when he was still playing lucio.

Skii

NiP has something close to a 90% winrate over the last six months from the (admittedly meager) pickings of the EU tournaments, not to mention they have been playing insanely well in scrims. We very well might see Rogue and Misfits come back, but right now NiP is sitting in the sun.. well, as much of the sun as they can be in with the OW League coming up and EU getting sidelined again.

But what does that have to do with performing at bigger tournaments? They've only performed decently at Dreamhack and the Overwatch open from the big tournaments they entered and they didnt win either. Rogue on the otherhand won the Atlanta showdown, Apac and came in second at the Overwatch Open. Those are three of the bigger tournaments. Now they've had a roster change and they absolutely destroyed Immortals which you are claiming as one of the teams to rival Envyus lol.

Misfits won the Overwatch Open and after the roster change have been unlucky with groups like Apex S2.

Both Rogue and misfits will need time to gel but I really don't see how NiP have been dominating EU for the last 6 months when Rogue and Misfits have been winning big tournaments vs the top US/KR teams in that time.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I like Orisa, but I have to speak up about this. How Fortify interacts with Reinhardt makes no sense.

Forify's abilities are described as such:

"Orisa temporarily reduces damage she takes, and cannot be affected by action-impairing effects."

Okay, cool. To be specific, Foritfy takes away 50% of the damage.

Going by the description, what it should happen is that Reinhardt shouldn't be able to move her, so I can understand him being knocked back as if he hit a wall (it'd be weird if he just went through her, though that's exactly what D.Va does). Okay. But when characters charged by Reinhardt get pinned, they take 300 points of damage and when their bumped, they take 50. So she should either take 150 (my preference since it feels like he's 'pinning her', she just also happens to be the wall) or 25 (if you think it should only count as a bump).

https://player.vimeo.com/video/206455298

Instead, she takes....no damage whatsoever? What?

More than that, it's Reinhardt that takes a 175 hp hit to himself? Whaaa....?

https://gfycat.com/ComplicatedCanineCaimanlizard

(The armor takes 5 hp off the hit)

I...don't see the logic of Rein taking a 175hp hit at all here. First off, the 175 seems arbitrary by itself. Why that number? It's not 50% of the charge by either damage metric.

Second, this is inconsistent with how he is affected by charging other things. If Orisa is supposed to be a "wall", well, he takes no damage from hitting walls. If you want to argue it's a different because Orisa is using a character ability, well, he doesn't even take damage from hitting Mei's Icicle ability either, nor is there any knockback if he hits a Zarya shield.

But if any kind of collision with Orisa is supposed to knock back and hurt the player whose charging into her, why is it unique to Reinhardt's charge alone? Because when D.Va charges her with her boost, Orisa doesn't act like a wall then. D.Va just flies through her, not knocking her back, but still applying half the damage that her booster would have done as outlined in the description.

So, Rein's charge ability is the one damaging ability that instead of doing 50% less damage as it says in the description, she's just flat out immune to and somehow reflects most of that damage back at him.

Second, this is inconsistent with how he is affected by charging other things. If Orisa is supposed to be a "wall", well, he takes no damage from hitting walls. If you want to argue it's a different because Orisa is using a character ability, well, he doesn't even take damage from hitting Mei's Icicle ability either, nor is there any knockback if he hits a Zarya shield.

But if any kind of collision with Orisa is supposed to knock back and hurt the player whose charging into her, why is it unique to Reinhardt's charge alone? Because when D.Va charges her with her boost, Orisa doesn't act like a wall then. D.Va just flies through her, not knocking her back, but still applying half the damage that her booster would have done as outlined in the description. D.Va takes no damage herself.

So, Rein's charge ability is the one damaging ability that instead of doing 50% less damage as it says in the description, she's just flat out immune to and somehow reflects most of that damage back at him.

What?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Okay, I like Orisa, but I have to speak up about this. How Fortify interacts with Reinhardt makes no sense.
How much damage does Rein take when charging into another charging Rein?

I agree that he should probably just act like he hit a wall, or act like he hit another charging Rein.

Skii

"Orisa temporarily reduces damage she takes, and cannot be affected by action-impairing effects."

Going by the description, what it should happen is that Reinhardt shouldn't be able to move her, so I can understand him being knocked back as if he hit a wall (it'd be weird if he just went through her, though that's exactly what D.Va does). Okay. But when characters charged by Reinhardt get pinned, they take 300 points of damage and when their bumped, they take 50. So she should either take 150 (my preference since it feels like he's 'pinning her', she just also happens to be the wall) or 25 (if you think it should only count as a bump).

I...don't see the logic of Rein taking a 175hp hit at all here. First off, the 175 seems arbitrary by itself. Why that number? It's not 50% of the charge by either damage metric.

The reason the developers made it so she is unaffected is because every tank has a way of avoiding the damage by Reinhardt's charge or mitigating it. Opposing Reins can charge at the Rein stunning both of them, Roadhog can hook the charging Rein, Dva can fly away, Zarya can bubble herself and Winston can jump out of the way. With Orisa's hitbox being that big, it's unfair that a pin can deal 150 damage with no way of avoiding it.

Also Reinhardt receiving the stun damage and animation is to simulate a main tank vs main tank battle which Blizzard want Orisa to be.

Jellie

But if any kind of collision with Orisa is supposed to knock back and hurt the player whose charging into her, why is it unique to Reinhardt's charge alone? Because when D.Va charges her with her boost, Orisa doesn't act like a wall then. D.Va just flies through her, not knocking her back, but still applying half the damage that her booster would have done as outlined in the description.

But if any kind of collision with Orisa is supposed to knock back and hurt the player whose charging into her, why is it unique to Reinhardt's charge alone? Because when D.Va charges her with her boost, Orisa doesn't act like a wall then. D.Va just flies through her, not knocking her back, but still applying half the damage that her booster would have done as outlined in the description. D.Va takes no damage herself.

What?
According to this its an unintended bug. Dunno their source though.

Didnt Harry start playing soldier cos he is great at it, and better than anyone else, and not cos he had to?

I think i remember talespin saying on stream one time that harry was beating everyone 1vs1 on mcree and soldier. That was when he was still playing lucio.

He's always seemed vaguely uncomfortable with the role. They haven't really talked much about it since then though so they might have felt that he was "good enough". He's definitely good, but the question is whether having him on Lucio would be better and allow the rest of the roster to open up their hero pools since Taimou is almost exclusively a main DPS player. His performance on Tracer today showed that he cannot play a flanker at all as of now.

But what does that have to do with performing at bigger tournaments? They've only performed decently at Dreamhack and the Overwatch open from the big tournaments they entered and they didnt win either. Rogue on the otherhand won the Atlanta showdown, Apac and came in second at the Overwatch Open. Those are three of the bigger tournaments. Now they've had a roster change and they absolutely destroyed Immortals which you are claiming as one of the teams to rival Envyus lol.

Misfits won the Overwatch Open and after the roster change have been unlucky with groups like Apex S2.

Both Rogue and misfits will need time to gel but I really don't see how NiP have been dominating EU for the last 6 months when Rogue and Misfits have been winning big tournaments vs the top US/KR teams in that time.

Rogue isn't even a European team at this point. They've been based in NA for a while now, but even more tellingly they don't really play in the European tournaments. Misfits is a completely different team than they were three months ago. Claiming that Misfits has had "unlucky groups" doesn't exactly give me faith in them either.

People lose in tournaments. That's what happens. Plenty of teams have destroyed Immortals.

Veelk

Banned
The reason the developers made it so she is unaffected is because every tank has a way of avoiding the damage by Reinhardt's charge or mitigating it. Opposing Reins can charge at the Rein stunning both of them, Roadhog can hook the charging Rein, Dva can fly away, Zarya can bubble herself and Winston can jump out of the way. With Orisa's hitbox being that big, it's unfair that a pin can deal 150 damage with no way of avoiding it.

Also Reinhardt receiving the stun damage and animation is to simulate a main tank vs main tank battle which Blizzard want Orisa to be.

Even in your example, Rein himself doesn't have mitigate nor avoid a charge by charging into the other reinhardt. I think they take as much damage as if pinned and are both stunned. That's like saying a Hanzo can mitigate/block a headshot arrow from another Hanzo by shooting his own arrow headshot at the same time, killing both of them.

150 damage, on the other hand, would be a mitigation since the charge normally does 300. I have no problem Reinhardt being stopped and stunned by Orisa, but it makes no sense that she gets off with no damage whatsoever. I'm not even just saying this is a balance issue, I'm saying by the descriptions the game gives you and how it works in every other scenerio, it's working under completely different rules for no apparent reason.

Grief.exe

What?

It's interesting that it's exactly 50% of the charge damage + 50% of the bump damage.

Skii

Even in your example, Rein himself doesn't have mitigate nor avoid a charge by charging into the other reinhardt. I think they take as much damage as if pinned and are both stunned. That's like saying a Hanzo can mitigate/block a headshot arrow from another Hanzo by shooting his own arrow headshot at the same time, killing both of them.

150 damage, on the other hand, would be a mitigation since the charge normally does 300. I have no problem Reinhardt being stopped and stunned by Orisa, but it makes no sense that she gets off with no damage whatsoever. I'm not even just saying this is a balance issue, I'm saying by the descriptions the game gives you and how it works in every other scenerio, it's working under completely different rules for no apparent reason.

Stun damage is less than pin damage in a Rein vs Rein battle. I dont understand the Hanzo comparison.

Maybe it is a glitch but I'd like it to stay until it's proven to be OP. Being able to get a free 150 damage on Orisa without really being taken out of the fight is pretty good for Rein.

Veelk

Banned
Stun damage is less than pin damage in a Rein vs Rein battle. I dont understand the Hanzo comparison.

Maybe it is a glitch but I'd like it to stay until it's proven to be OP. Being able to get a free 150 damage on Orisa without really being taken out of the fight is pretty good for Rein.
I'm saying there is no mitigation of damage at all. A charged reinhardt will take as much damage from doing nothing as if he had charged back. The only difference is that you give charge damage back and you aren't pushed out of position. Hence the Hanzo comparison, it's not a negation or mitigation, it's just a backfire. Unless I'm wrong, but my understanding is that a double charge is just like a charge, just to both sides.

Also, Orisa doesn't exactly let Reinhardt off easy. Remember, Orisa can fire her fun all she wants while Fortified. So Rein's getting out of position, very likely into the crossfire of my team, just to get stunned while I'm firing that machine gun on his face. That's feels worth 150 hp.

Edit: I am wrong, but Rein's do more than stun each other. They seem to do...well, 150-175 damage, appropriately enough. But again, I don't see why Orisa makes him take that much damage when the rules laid out by the game mean it shouldn't work out that way.

Nazo

I just played one match against a Bastion with a pocket Mercy.

Just...nah...

Edit: Some one message me when they unfuck the games meta.

having absolute worst luck today.
someone asks 3rd dps to switch mid round we only have 1 tank.
goes hanzo then widowmaker. ffs
my wr just down the drain ripp

Blu(e)

Looks like Orisa has all her voice lines in place now. Eh. Pretty boring.

Needs a laughing and sitting emote for Orisa and Sombra now.

Edit: Looks like they added a OR15 skin too for an epic.

No one here on GAF is immune to tilt. It's how you are when you're not upset is how I determine whether I like you or not
I hope not. Or you would fucking hate me. I was just acknowledging that I knew who Lik was talking about because when you narrow it down to 'girl' and 'gets tilted' there's was only one possibility. I still like playing with her.

Shouta

Man, Orisa's gun is surprisingly accurate at long range for a gatling gun. Granted, it's a projectile weapon but you can seriously chew through folks if you lead or if you get them to run into your fire. Her clip being 200 shots helps a ton too.

Man, Orisa's gun is surprisingly accurate at long range for a gatling gun. Granted, it's a projectile weapon but you can seriously chew through folks if you lead or if you get them to run into your fire. Her clip being 200 shots helps a ton too.

Awesome. Just what I want from a tank.

I get the impression that Bastion simply doesn't fit the teamplay aspect of the game. Having insane DPS (with no reload on top of that) means you have to have compromises (i.e mobility, damage taken..,etc), but having an organized team helps negating these thus making the whole team centered around an overpowered damage dealer. It is a similar case where Ana is kind of overpowered when combined with certain team compositions.

Make Bastion reload or overheat? Then make all characters bulky and include cover mechanics. Lets not forget horde mode too.

When I struggle it seems when I play with a character that isn't my main I do very well. I was playing with Rein yesterday and did very well. It seems some people still don't know how to handle an aggressive Rein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom