• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Tracer was annoying the shit outta my team. Switched to Junk and kept her off. Won final round with three solo Junk kills in a row. That was satisfying.

Ghizz

Finally got to 3.2k...but back down to 3.1

Anyone got any tips for a diamond guy trying to reach masters? differences between a diamond and master player?

Anne

The only major difference between diamonds and masters is mechanics and basic team fighting macro. Find heroes you are mechanically good at and stick with them in comp until you are excellent with them. Learn how to properly engage/disengage fights and how you'll need to make plays with those heroes.

Only difference I tend to notice on the regular. Master Genjis don't miss M2 a lot and will combo confirm the right targets generally. Master Soldiers tend to have better Helix placement and Visor target selection. Master Rein players have good Earthshatter Macro and shield management. Etc.

Past that it's just level appropriate game sense and understanding maps.

NeoRaider

Got "Hack the Planet" achievement in Route 66 (QP)!!

tumblr_og7h2dpeAt1qlv884o2_500.gif

caesar

Banned
Wait my rank decayed from 3.8 to 3k because I was away for a month. Hidden mmr stays the same though. I'm just thinking am I gonna be placed high plat fml.

Anne

Wait my rank decayed from 3.8 to 3k because I was away for a month. Hidden mmr stays the same though. I'm just thinking am I gonna be placed high plat fml.

Even if it dumps you plat you'll hit Master in a day. In S3 I got put at 2900 in placements and hit 3800 in like two play sessions. I know you're good enough to do the same :p

Jellie

You'll get placed near your rank before decay if it's like s3.
I've finally unlocked the secret of playing ana.

Stop dying so much.
So positioning with Ana pretty much? Bad positioning with Ana is the number one cause for deaths I think.

venom473

A friend I play with got promoted to Diamond while I'm still trying to make my way to plat. Queued together and some random guy tells us Gold and Diamond shouldn't rank up as a stack, proceeds to feed/throw as Widow, costing us the match.
Next match we get the same guy on our team, but this time he tries his hardest to win.

I guess his conviction wasn't important enough to lose two matches in a row over it...

caesar

Banned
Even if it dumps you plat you'll hit Master in a day. In S3 I got put at 2900 in placements and hit 3800 in like two play sessions. I know you're good enough to do the same :p

I guess, if I can shake off this rust quickly. :p

I better get stuck in before Orisa hits live then, meta is gonna get real messy. Hate the mini grav thing already but I'm thinking Sombra usage will increase at least.

Cappa

Banned
AFAIK placements actually effect your SR gain/loss far more significantly than the SR you are placed at. If you go 10-0 in placements you might end up around the same SR as your last season end, but the bonus SR you get can be like 100+ a match. If you go 0-10 you'll just end up a bit lower, but you lose SR faster and won't be able to climb as quickly.
I don't think this is true. I only won two games during placements and got placed in the 2700s. Currently in the 3330s because I was getting like 50 sr for wins and only losing 15-20 per loss.

Anne

I don't think this is true. I only won two games during placements and got placed in the 2700s. Currently in the 3330s because I was getting like 50 sr for wins and only losing 15-20 per loss.

You're still getting bonus SR, just not as much I wanna say. From my experience and what I've seen you can be getting a whole lot more than 50. At least in S3 that happened, where people were straight getting actual 100+ SR a win.

The bonus SR and SR loss bonus they give directly after placements are honestly just kind of "feel good" points they're going to give you cause reasons. If you do really well in placements you can nudge that stuff to be even more in your favor and last longer, but that's from anecdotal experience. I know for a fact the hidden MMR # is more heavily affected by your placement matches, and that is the driving factor behind your SR gain/loss.

Jellie

What was your season end. Did you climb to it based off the bonus Sr?

RemiLP

Great start to this season. Started at 2300, and im at an all time high of 2700+ now. Gained 65 SR last win. The hunt for diamond is on.

LiK

Just got steamrolled. Randoms had no synergy at all. I was Lucio and I was surviving longer than my entire team.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really wish bastion being OP is true because if so I wouldn't get fucking steamrolled being teamed with all these bastions who didn't seem to get the memo.

LiK

Holy shit, just lost on Oasis cuz my goddamn team kept saving their Ults for god knows what. They kept saying it's ready and never used them. That tilted me so hard. Thanks guys.

bjork

I finally made it to level 25 yesterday after weeks logging in and being annoyed at how long it takes to find a game consistently. I don't know that I'm even going to try competitive, because I feel more like I brute-forced my way to 25 rather than getting there with good play.

LiK

Hm, just steamrolled another team. That was sweet. Stayed with 3 guys. Let's see if this works. One more win for Diamond.

LiK

Made it to Diamond. Currently destroying with Soldier. My aim has been pretty good in the past few matches. Not even using a mic with these random guys I grouped up with lol

nan0

It's based on your end of season rank. You can expect -400 to +100/200 depending on how you do in placements.

Yeah, I figured since I ended last season with around the same. Still dumb. Why have placements for recurring players then anyway. Thought I could escape out of that silver hell.

LiK

Damn, Fucking Pharah was outplaying me.

Edit: haha, pulled my Junk for Dorado and totally destroyed them. Thanks Mercy for the dmg boost. 😉

Skii

Yeah, I figured since I ended last season with around the same. Still dumb. Why have placements for recurring players then anyway. Thought I could escape out of that silver hell.

Because they ideally want you to place slightly lower than your end of season rank and hopefully with your bonus SR reach or eclipse your career high. It apparently makes you feel more accomplished. I personally dislike the system but that's the thinking behind it.

Finally got to 3.2k...but back down to 3.1

Anyone got any tips for a diamond guy trying to reach masters? differences between a diamond and master player?

Manage your ult economy. Try to coordinate who is going to use ults on the next push - usually you want to lead with a Zarya or Rein - and make sure to stop teammates before they use ults they don't need to. If there is only one person on point affter, tell your teammates just in case they come from spawn dumping an ult to "save the day". The worst throws I've ever had were when people blew ults due to lack of information.

Every thing else is just small details. That's really the biggest difference between Diamond/Low Master vs High Master/GM.

antitrop

The character with the biggest disparity between QP and Comp play for me is definitely Zarya. In QP, I just throw out team bubbles for energy whenever they're on CD, but in Comp I actually save them for crucial situations.

LiK

man, i did so well with Soldier, I wonder if I should give him the golden gun instead. When S4 ends I'll have enough for a 3rd golden gun.

Jellie

The character with the biggest disparity between QP and Comp play for me is definitely Zarya. In QP, I just throw out team bubbles for energy whenever they're on CD, but in Comp I actually save them for crucial situations.

Winston and Tracer for me. In QP I do good, in comp murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom