• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesar

Banned
I finally made it to level 25 yesterday after weeks logging in and being annoyed at how long it takes to find a game consistently. I don't know that I'm even going to try competitive, because I feel more like I brute-forced my way to 25 rather than getting there with good play.

Well yeah, level is based on time played only. Pretty much every lvl 25 isn't very good at the game so I wouldn't worry about it. Just try some comp and you will play with people at your level anyway.

Hi

hrCOFdo.jpg

Danj

So someone on the Blizzard forums claims that actually, the metrics used in calculating the hidden competitive MMR for placements are actually known and that they are the fire meter, medals, and win rate.

Does anyone know a) if this is true and b) if so how each metric is weighted? I'm assuming win rate must be weighted pretty low as I went 9-1 but still only made Bronze.

Gorillaz

There has been so many myths on what drives comp and the formula at this point that it's hard to believe anyone that says they know exactly what it is. I wouldn't be suprised if one theory wasn't right but all the mix of all the big ones is the answer

edit: also where you finished last season weighs heavily where you placed this one

_Legacy_

So someone on the Blizzard forums claims that actually, the metrics used in calculating the hidden competitive MMR for placements are actually known and that they are the fire meter, medals, and win rate.

Does anyone know a) if this is true and b) if so how each metric is weighted? I'm assuming win rate must be weighted pretty low as I went 9-1 but still only made Bronze.

Wait, you went 9-1 and placed Bronze? Where did you finish last season?

Skii

That may be true for a completely new player. For an established competitive player, your competitive MMR was established during the previous season and placement performances will have relatively little impact on your final placement.

gryvan

That may be true for a completely new player. For an established competitive player, your competitive MMR was established during the previous season and placement performances will have relatively little impact on your final placement.

This is definitely true. Personally for myself, I hit 2200 something when i hit around 2590 something last season. Ive had good win streaks that led me to 2470 atm. So im praying i can go higher and try to hit diamond

antitrop

Danj, if you bought a new account, you would probably be able to climb. It's fucked up how that's the case, but it can be.

It was like that in Starcraft II, as well. You could play so many games on your main that the system was pretty sure you were exactly where you belonged and wouldn't move you much, but you could buy a new account and easily surpass your old one.

komaruR

i saw some of your placement video. the other team seems to be around the same skill level (around silverish tier imo)
Danj, if you bought a new account, you would probably be able to climb. It's fucked up how that's the case, but it can be.

It was like that in Starcraft II, as well. You could play so many games on your main that the system was pretty sure you were exactly where you belonged and wouldn't move you much, but you could buy a new account and easily surpass your old one.

This could be true too. because its base on your previous final sr, then the max you can probably get from placement is +400?? (maybe? base from what people been posting about their placement)
So with a new account it means new calibration. that's probably when they pit you against all the tier level and evaluate you?

exYle

I want to do my S4 placements, but I also don't want to deal with Bastion right now.

Also Horizon and Orisa isn't out yet.

Bleh

Danj

There has been so many myths on what drives comp and the formula at this point that it's hard to believe anyone that says they know exactly what it is. I wouldn't be suprised if one theory wasn't right but all the mix of all the big ones is the answer

edit: also where you finished last season weighs heavily where you placed this one

Wait, you went 9-1 and placed Bronze? Where did you finish last season?

That'll be why then, I was like 1400something at the end of last season, so I guess that explains why I am 1400something at the start of next season. It is a bit depressing that you can't use your placement matches to improve your rank, seems like they're just something you have to get through to get to competitive proper in that case.

Skii

That'll be why then, I was like 1400something at the end of last season, so I guess that explains why I am 1400something at the start of next season. It is a bit depressing that you can't use your placement matches to improve your rank, seems like they're just something you have to get through to get to competitive proper in that case.

If you want to climb, this is your best chance with the bonus SR. If you still feel like you're just being pulled down to bronze SR then maybe like antitrop said, buy a new account. You'll probably get placed gold.

I want to do my S4 placements, but I also don't want to deal with Bastion right now.

Also Horizon and Orisa isn't out yet.

Bleh

Wait for me. Assuming Bastion nerf and Orisa come on Tuesday we can wait until then. I haven't done a single placement match yet and I only have 40% completion in Horizon.

That game turned me into a Hanzo main.

I started randomly dropping frames in overwatch. No idea why I had solid 70 but now it will randomly drop down to 40-50.
Sometimes single digits wtff

Is Mei's ultimate meant to be able to be interrupted + used up? I saw her get sniped but heard her ultimate voiceline, and no ultimate occurred. Asking for a friend.

Nimby

Banned
Had a nice break from OW, watching this Bastion meta. I actually hope it isn't too strong, but strong enough to be a viable comp. RNG had some great success with it, the key for it being Mercy and a D.Va or Zarya.

Mercy looks pretty strong now as well, but again RNG likes running Mercy more than most teams like Bastion.

Dive - Lucio+Ana/Zen
Pharah dive - Lucio+Mercy
2/2/2 - Lucio+Ana/Mercy
Triple tank - Lucio+Ana
Bastion - Ana+Mercy

aeolist

Banned
from what i've seen orisa's pretty good and doesn't need any buffs. the orb is completely ridiculous on some maps because it goes through shields and can wreck an approach single-handedly, fort is really strong, and her shield has infinite uptime if it's not focused down. she can definitely front line if her team is backing her up and she goes well with rein and/or zarya.

her only real weakness is lack of mobility.

I have to ask. Why is Genji always the posterboy for the "I need healing" line?

His mobility lends toward diving into the opposition, which only works if you really know what you are doing. Most Genji players dive, die, and then complain that no one healed them.

At least that's the stereotype.

The other DPS classes aren't quite as good at diving aside from Tracer, and scrubs usually don't pick Tracer.

Anne

I have to ask. Why is Genji always the posterboy for the "I need healing" line?

Back when the general public didn't know how good Genji was and people were so ass at him they would always throw, this meme was born. Every single game you had a Genji that had zero idea how to play the game but thought he was a god who would mash "I need healing" while being half a map away from anything.

It was really funny watching the general playerbase go from "I never want to see Genji on my team again" to "Oh god nerf this thing into the ground please" over the span of like a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom