• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sombra's ammo readout is in hexadecimal; what a nerd.
Can she out-DPS any Support?
I do 5.5K/game with her on average in QP (which is the 99th percentile on Overbuff), which puts her a little behind my Genji but a lot behind Reaper/Soldier.

But she also has my sixth-highest Eliminations/game, and none of the supports are close.

So, eh. You won't get a lot of solo kills, but you can pour out quite a lot of damage, honestly. And the solo kills you get tend to be on supports early in fights, which is high-value.

antitrop

Gold can be such a shithole that no matter what you do you're not gonna change the outcome.
I lost like 600 points in a streak last season, dipping into mid-Gold, and was easily able to climb out carrying hard as Zarya. Then I went back to playing Support after I gained the 600 points back.

Consistently awful positioning led to the easiest Gravitons I've ever shot off in my life. Getting maximum charge was too easy, people would consistently shoot bubbled targets that they had no chance of killing afterwards. I could just throw it on anyone and get charge. Even Platinum players were generally more judicious about shooting the bubbles, I noticed it as soon as I started getting closer to my original rank.

Skii

Just watched some of your Symmetra on stream and here's some things I saw in your game that you should try and improve:

- Don't try to 1v1 tanks or Mei. The tank has to be terrible to get beaten by Symmetra and Mei can just freeze you. You tried to do it multiple times. You have to go after healers/squishies.

- You tried to put up turrets literally in the middle of a fight lol. Like there was a fight going on, you're getting shot at and you decide to place a turret.

- You used your ults really slowly. Like when a fight finishes, straight away place the shield gen. You're putting your team at a massive disadvantage by not using your ult.

You did well with your shields though. Blocked ults/incoming fire pretty effectively.

Was you forced to pick Symmetra or could you have gone Soldier?

What even is the ranking system in this game. I did my placements matches last night (all with Zarya) and got 9 wins, 1 draw and got placed 2518? That like 10 points higher than I placed last season where I had something like 5W-1D-4L. I know there's the dps bias in placement, but I consistently had either silver or gold in damage, elims, objective elims, and objective time.

What does Blizzard want from me?

hypernima

Banned
Just watched some of your Symmetra on stream and here's some things I saw in your game that you should try and improve:

- Don't try to 1v1 tanks or Mei. The tank has to be terrible to get beaten by Symmetra and Mei can just freeze you. You tried to do it multiple times. You have to go after healers/squishies.

- You tried to put up turrets literally in the middle of a fight lol. Like there was a fight going on, you're getting shot at and you decide to place a turret.

- You used your ults really slowly. Like when a fight finishes, straight away place the shield gen. You're putting your team at a massive disadvantage by not using your ult.

You did well with your shields though. Blocked ults/incoming fire pretty effectively.

Was you forced to pick Symmetra or could you have gone Soldier?

Thanks for watching and pointing out habits I don't usually notice.
I just like her for some KOTH maps and Anubis.

Yeah I gotta avoid VS Mei. I know she always wins but I always go for the challenge like a dumbass.

Most tanks in Gold don't even realize it's Symmetra when I attack. She can help drain a tank fast in combination with distraction but Solo its bad. I'll work more on picking and choosing my confrontations with her.

antitrop

What even is the ranking system in this game. I did my placements matches last night (all with Zarya) and got 9 wins, 1 draw and got placed 2518? That like 10 points higher than I placed last season where I had something like 5W-1D-4L. I know there's the dps bias in placement, but I consistently had either silver or gold in damage, elims, objective elims, and objective time.

It cares more about your SR from last season than it does about your placement matches from this season. Placements in S3 (if you've already played in previous seasons) aren't entirely meaningless, but they kind of are.

It doesn't just forget your previous MMR and start you over again fresh for the new season.

It cares more about your SR from last season than it does about your placement matches from this season. Placements in S3 (if you've already played in previous seasons) aren't entirely meaningless, but they kind of are.

It doesn't just forget your previous MMR and start you over again fresh for the new season.
They should just kick me off at Plat every season then and save me the trouble of doing the placement games if that's the case.

Skii

It's important to note that your first 30 games or so, there's like double xp basically for every win you get lol.

Thanks for watching and pointing out habits I don't usually notice.
I just like her for some KOTH maps and Anubis.

Yeah I gotta avoid VS Mei. I know she always wins but I always go for the challenge like a dumbass.

Most tanks in Gold don't even realize it's Symmetra when I attack. She can help drain a tank fast in combination with distraction but Solo its bad. I'll work more on picking and choosing my confrontations with her.

Yeah Symmetra can definitely do work as people struggle to aim at that rank. You just need to be a bit more careful as you die too quickly.

Prelude.

I lost like 600 points in a streak last season, dipping into mid-Gold, and was easily able to climb out carrying hard as Zarya. Then I went back to playing Support after I gained the 600 points back.

Consistently awful positioning led to the easiest Gravitons I've ever shot off in my life. Getting maximum charge was too easy, people would consistently shoot bubbled targets that they had no chance of killing afterwards. I could just throw it on anyone and get charge. Even Platinum players were generally more judicious about shooting the bubbles, I noticed it as soon as I started getting closer to my original rank.
Can. You need to be lucky. I too played ridiculously easy games in gold this season, but I also played plenty where I was completely helpless. You can't carry 5 teammates that don't want to win.

Last season gold was different anyway, they pushed back a lot of people.

antitrop

You can't carry 5 teammates that don't want to win.

You can't. But enemy teams have people that don't give a shit, either. It really does kind of balance out, if you play enough games.

The troll games are gonna happen. The FREELO troll games are gonna happen on the other team, too. What matters is the games where both teams are trying, if you're winning those, you'll climb.

Prelude.

You can't. But enemy teams have people that don't give a shit, either. It really does kind of balance out, if you play enough games.
Well, you can't control that. Going in solo and playing 100 shitty games because eventually you'll run into a decent team isn't time well-spent.

What matters is the games where both teams are trying, if you're winning those, you'll climb.
There's nothing better than winning amazing matches only for those points to be lost in 10 minutes in the next 2 meme games.

antitrop

Well, you can't control that. Going in solo and playing 100 shitty games because eventually you'll run into a decent team isn't time well-spent.
It's gonna be different for everyone, and some may be particularly unlucky, but I think the amount of troll games I've ever played in Competitive is vastly outweighed by the number of serious games. The troll ones just stick in your memory more.

If that wasn't the case, I mean shit, I would have dropped this game like 6 months ago.

antitrop

Just wanted to ask, which 144Hz monitor did you buy? Would you recommend anything else in retrospect?
I was on a budget, so I went with a ASUS VG248QE. It's exactly what I wanted from it for the price I paid, so I'm happy with it. But if you want to spend twice as much, there are definitely better monitors out there.

I think this one is a pretty safe goto for a cheaper one, I've seen lots of streamers list it in their setups, too.

hypernima

Banned
It's gonna be different for everyone, and some may be particularly unlucky, but I think the amount of troll games I've ever played in Competitive is vastly outweighed by the number of serious games. The troll ones just stick in your memory more.

If that wasn't the case, I mean shit, I would have dropped this game like 6 months ago.

I wouldn't say they are all troll games but they are definitely games where the person on the team is not trying to make a community effort. How do you carry a Reinhardt that doesn't want to push up or be offensive? How do you carry when everyone spreads out yet asks for healing when you're not Lucio? How do you get past the reoccuring theme of everyone wanting to do their own thing, pushing too far, throwing? It's far far too common in these ranks which is why it isn't hard for someone to get a little demotivated when they play.

Prelude.

This season is particularly bad because they fucked up the placements system by taking the rank of a season that was, by their own admission, not working properly and transferring it to the next one.

I didn't play a lot this season, but the only way I can have fun (i.e. not miserable) games is queueing with people well above my SR so I can play in the 3k+ rank. I'm not even in gold anymore, but those early matches were so pathetic they almost made me stop playing the game. What's the point of having bad games in gold when my MMR in QP is putting me against diamond to gm players?

ISOM

people bitch about roadhog's hook being bullshit but somehow charge gets a free pass

Because there are a lot of negatives that can happen when Reinhardt charges. He can miss, he can die while charging, he can die after he charges because the enemy team focuses him. There are so many things that balances the hitbox of Rein's charge. There's nothing of that with Roadhog's hook. He's safe when he uses his hook, it has a short cooldown so he can throw it whenever he wants. The two are in no way comparable.

Shantom

Just won a comp match where on defence we had no tanks and me sole healing as Lucio. The other team didn't even reach the first checkpoint.

I think I just won five games in a row for the first time this season in comp.

Going as a duo instead of solo queue helped, I think!
7-0 when we quit.

If GMT hadn't ticked over into Jan. 18, this graph would have almost gone vertical.

78R8JEp.png

ISOM

Who was it that said teleporters are pointless because of shields? So many proteams still put down TP's though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
17k gold healing as Zen, but we still lose cause of a D.Va constantly trying to chew people out at spawn and a Symmetra who won't switch.

f0qI2Un.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom