• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

I've abandoned playing support on comp, at least until my rating goes back up. Until then it's Pharah and Zarya all day. Winning 75% of my games the last few days, so it's working.

It's also just generally a lot less frustrating to do something other than help my teammates on their stupid endeavors.

antitrop

Won my first two placements, one with a really good Soldier game and then a really good Mercy game (on KOTH, nonetheless!).

EDIT: Third game was another Mercy win with the best Attack Symmetra I've ever played with in Comp on King's Row.

cyborg009

Banned
Eh, why not? You have an 80 dmg long range hitscan and an AOE burst that blocks healing that you can throw pretty far. It's not hard to do damage at a safe position.

I've made a game mode. Insta-cap KotH, Ana only, no biotic grenade, insta-gib, sleep darts on 5% cooldown for disrespect. It's muy bonito.

Real talk, you can play Ana with aggression as your main focus rather than healing but it requires good mechanical skill and good ability management. Every sleep dart is a potential pick. You should still be healing, just with a focus on ending the fight quickly when the team fight breaks out. The issue is it requires you to have a team that can support you in that role and you aren't going to find that in comp.

Sorry I'm talking about tanks and other dps. I've seen a ana focus on shooting a enemy then healing our tanks who were dying.

Won my first two placements, one with a really good Soldier game and then a really good Mercy game (on KOTH, nonetheless!).

EDIT: Third game was another Mercy win with the best Attack Symmetra I've ever played with in Comp on King's Row.

Man, I'm bummed I had to leave to watch a movie with the fam now.

Got that D.Va Hook Gfycat lol:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CleverGrossPelicanSSSsss

Those two wins with you put me at 3 W 2 L so far.

Oh, that was you! GGs, I have trouble remembering B.net IDs that don't match GAF names, haha. You did good.

Yeah that's my problem, my Bnet is from before GAF and my Twitch profile is older than both so they're all different.

*EDIT*, I can change my BNet tag. I should do that.

I like to stream when I play to keep myself having a positive attitude and to review matches sometimes.

No worries, GGs!

Been playing quickplay just to get the feel again. The lack of new map rotation isn't surprising. I only played one Oasis map. Maybe three eichenwalde.

Lucio still Lucio and zen still great. Jumped back in with soldier as well. My aim is off hopefully it gets betterment I haven't fine tuned the setting since I got a new mice.
Also ivr been dying more to scatter arrow since I got back. Halp.

Managed to get into the Top 500 Ana players on Overbuff. Not super impressive considering it is the beginning of the season, but I was pretty proud of it.

Mutant

I typically heal as Ana but I do like to beat up any offensive heroes that are trying to harass. Nothing stops a Genji from trying to gank you all game than to make him feel like he's outmatched by you. Also a lot of Tracers get tripped up pretty quickly when you get a shot on her and then a jar.

But in general if you're using the jar to hurt someone, don't open with it but instead use it to guarantee the kill.

So yeah, I think the real trick to mastering Ana is knowing at all times when you should be healing and when you could be pressuring the enemy.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Winston's most recent buff has upped his survivability a lot, to the point I feel he's actually worth using outside of King of the Hill now sometimes.

Nimby

Banned
I peaked just above diamond last season, finished around 2700 (only played like 25 games) and my placements were full of people under level 100, and just terrible all around and I ended up in gold again :(

Playing dps Ana is actually gr8 cause the amount of situitions I recall where a team mate wouldn't have finished off a target or how we wouldn't have gotten that first pick is kind of huge.

Also applying pressure to pharahs
Obviously finding the right balance is important

Winston's most recent buff has upped his survivability a lot, to the point I feel he's actually worth using outside of King of the Hill now sometimes.

As someone relatively new to the game he's so good. Those 300 shots in turret mode allow you to cover fire an entrance for almost a full 10 seconds before reloading. And being able to heal while backing down? So good. He's definitely my secondary main now after Mercy.

As someone relatively new to the game he's so good. Those 300 shots in turret mode allow you to cover fire an entrance for almost a full 10 seconds before reloading. And being able to heal while backing down? So good. He's definitely my secondary main now after Mercy.

Winston is the ape. You are thinking of Bastion.

KiraFA37

He played Ana so Im p sure it's him.
I thought the name sounded familiar.

Was me, I remember playing with/against a NewType. I've played a lot of Nepal and Route 66 in comp yesterday so I'm unsure which game it exactly was. I'll add you if we get matched together again.

Cappa

Banned
On the few times I actually get to play DPS on a team that doesn't need a tank or healer role to be filled, I can only deal with Bastion if he's not being pocketed by any healer or hiding behind a Rein. With his new damage reduction, Genji is nowhere near a reliable counter to Bastion anymore.

Aw yiss bro let's do it
Group up with me. I've been destroying solo Qing maining with bastion lol. Rein mercy bastion and Pharah combo on payload maps absolutely destroy teams.

I really hope they don't nerf bastion yet. He's also not that difficult to deal with you just need good team coordination. Ana sleep + grenade is a great way to counter
Screenshot_20170306_094609.png

Screenshot_20170306_094633.png

Acidote

I got into Diamond from solo Q. You guys better keep up!

The best thing about doing that is that once you solo Q your way up to Diamond, things get better, and once you reach Master things get incredibly better as a solo queuer. You win and you lose games but with much better people around overall in terms of behaviour, team comp, etc.

Zen Aku

I just played against a Roadhog who did the hook, turn and dump the victim off the ledge trick... Multiple times.

What the fuck. I thought Blizzard fixed that.

_Legacy_

The best thing about doing that is that once you solo Q your way up to Diamond, things get better, and once you reach Master things get incredibly better as a solo queuer. You win and you lose games but with much better people around overall in terms of behaviour, team comp, etc.

This is what I'm hoping for, when I reach Diamond. I'm mid gold right now and been doing well on solo q, I played a few games with my plat friend last night and the amount of people who just rush in solo/or have no awareness is astounding. Too many people get carried in platinum, from what I've seen anyway.

Cappa

Banned
This is what I'm hoping for, when I reach Diamond. I'm mid gold right now and been doing well on solo q, I played a few games with my plat friend last night and the amount of people who just rush in solo/or have no awareness is astounding. Too many people get carried in platinum, from what I've seen anyway.
It doesn't get much better in lower sr diamond. when you start seeing a change in the overall quality of games is when your in in the 3300s because you'll be matched against masters, sometimes even grand masters

_Legacy_

It doesn't get much better in lower sr diamond. when you start seeing a change in the overall quality of games is when your in in the 3300s because you'll be matched against masters, sometimes even grand masters

Gives me something to shoot for, really going for it this season.

Cappa

Banned
Gives me something to shoot for, really going for it this season.
For sure. I know the struggle of climbing out of gold. I only started playing overwatch when season 1 ended. I got placed in the 1900s for season 2 and ended up making it barely to Diamond. For season 3 I was one win away from master. For season 4 my goal is to finally get to masters.

Lots of high level players in this thread who never experienced gold so lot of advice given out doesn't necessarily help at those levels. Practice and not getting frustrated goes a long way though.

_Legacy_

For sure. I know the struggle of climbing out of gold. I only started playing overwatch when season 1 ended. I got placed in the 1900s for season 2 and ended up making it barely to Diamond. For season 3 I was one win away from master. For season 4 my goal is to finally get to masters.

Lots of high level players in this thread who never experienced gold so lot of advice given out doesn't necessarily help at those levels. Practice and not getting frustrated goes a long way though.

Yeah I've been platinum for the majority of this game but got really fucked over in my placements in this season. Lost too many games but I'm happily climbing now. 300+ SR in the last few days so getting there.

ferunnico

Neo Member
I haven't done my placement matches yet. What happens when there are not enough people around who are still doing placement matches? Would I get teams roughly around my SR from last season?

LiK

I haven't done my placement matches yet. What happens when there are not enough people around who are still doing placement matches? Would I get teams roughly around my SR from last season?

Some people got the same or drastically lower like me. Rarely anyone got higher than their last season rank.

Hoping to reach Masters this season. Hit Diamond in S3 but kinda just settled for it.

And i finally got Floor is Lava yesterday! 3 more achievements left.

Cappa

Banned
I got placed 500 sr lower than what I did last season but quickly made it back in like 10 matches.

There will always be people doing placements. You will be put in matches with other people who are already ranked if there aren't 11 other unranked players to match up in a game with. Where you are placed usually depends on your mmr.

ferunnico

Neo Member
I think that's how it goes.

PS. Like the avatar!
Some people got the same or drastically lower like me. Rarely anyone got higher than their last season rank.
I got placed 500 sr lower than what I did last season but quickly made it back in like 10 matches.

There will always be people doing placements. You will be put in matches with other people who are already ranked if there aren't 11 other unranked players to match up in a game with. Where you are placed usually depends on your mmr.

Thanks. So how bad is the whole Bastion situation, really? I held off on doing placement matches because there was such a big outcry and I heard all these stories about invincible Bastions. But I know the community is quick to exaggerate and I'm starting to feel the itch to jump back into competitive.

Cappa

Banned
Thanks. So how bad is the whole Bastion situation, really? I held off on doing placement matches because there was such a big outcry and I heard all these stories about invincible Bastions. But I know the community is quick to exaggerate and I'm starting to feel the itch to jump back into competitive.
If you're on pc he's been nerfed slightly already. Nothing on console as of yet.

With that said I've been maining bastion and have had very good success with him. He's difficult to deal with but not impossible. He's a pest against uncoordinated teams but with a bit of teamwork he's not impossible to deal with.

ferunnico

Neo Member
If you're on pc he's been nerfed slightly already. Nothing on console as of yet.

With that said I've been maining bastion and have had very good success with him. He's difficult to deal with but not impossible. He's a pest against uncoordinated teams but with a bit of teamwork he's not impossible to deal with.

I thought the nerf was still on PTR, didn't realize it was live already. Well then, no more excuses. Time to do my placement matches. I will report back how it went.

LiK

He's not bad unless a team is built around to defending him. If you're playing against a team of randoms, he can still be killed easily from my experience in Comp. If it's against a stack of some kind where there's a Bastion then you can expect some trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom