• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHall

What do you mean by toxic players? People that don't coordinate or just the characters they're choosing?

Overwatch seems to have just as many people who don't want to work together as any other shooter. It's really punishing to play without a full team.

Players that don't coordinate, flaming other players for "off-meta" picks, blaming their teammates for their deaths, etc. People tilt so easily in this game, it's incredible.

I'm still on a winstreak and it scares the fuck out of me.

You shouldn't be afraid of losing, learning from your loses and mistakes makes you a better player. Playing not to lose is not a good thing.

hypernima

Banned
I will now that I've finished horizon. I'm going to level up an alt account first (I'm at lvl 17 or something) so I can try new stuff in comp even if that means tanking my SR. I feel like I can do much more with S76, but playing him is kinda boring... I want to play with the shimada bros more :p

Wanna play with my smurf? I feel like QPing and I can help you get there faster xp bonusing :)

You shouldn't be afraid of losing, learning from your loses and mistakes makes you a better player. Playing not to lose is not a good thing.

Oh I'm not afraid of losing at all it just feels weird rn cause I'm on cloud 9 or something. I'm sure I'll lose eventually. But I would like to lose as little as possible as I go for Diamond!

I think I've learned a lot from my misgivings last season and have tried to integrate it into my approaches for S4. I used to tilt, worry about picks and give up when no one comms but now I just try to really encourage my teammates as much as I can so they perform better regardless of what they pick.

_Legacy_

Going to take a break now, literally near lost my shit in my last game. We were 2-0 up on koth. Other team made switches on game 3 and our junkrat decided to stick, despite getting destroyed by Tracer/Solder. His ults were popped off in clear sight and shot down every time, everyone was asking him to switch but he wasn't any of it.

I bubbled him with Zarya as must as possible but he kept dying so it was essentially 5v6. It was causing our team to panic switch to Bastion, which didn't end well. Of course we lost 2-3.

I've dropped around 150 SR since I peaked at 2.3k on the weekend. Just can't seem to get a streak going at all anymore but that's the game sometimes I guess.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Advice: Don't play in offpeak hours during the weekend. You get some really bad players who can't teamwork for shit. I finally got competant players around 8-10AM Sunday morning.
My wife solo queued sometime in the afternoon on the weekend, and ended up with something like a 7-game losing streak because of constantly getting queued up with people who either deliberately threw the match (like picking Junkrat and spamming shit in the spawn room the entire time), bickered among themselves instead of playing the game, or simply couldn't teamwork worth shit. It sucked.

pizzacat

Banned
It's not that bad and it seems they made you lose less SR from losses and earn more from wins. Losing didn't feel that bad unless I was playing with dickbags who threw the game or have no synergy at all. Only happened a few times.
I had 2 games (separated from a win) where I lost 50 each

This season ain't real kind to me, especially since I'm installing support

Damn, I need to finish Horizon as well. Really enjoying it.

You should, it's fucking amazing. I played 50h in 4 days lol, it was basically eat sleep and play. The gameplay is super addicting due to how good it controls.

It's funny that it was the first game since Overwatch launched that was able to make stop playing this game completely. Almost one year after...

Wanna play with my smurf? I feel like QPing and I can help you get there faster xp bonusing :)

Sure, add me NediarPT88 :)

hypernima

Banned
You should, it's fucking amazing. I played 50h in 4 days lol, it was basically eat sleep and play. The gameplay is super addicting due to how good it controls.

It's funny that it was the first game since Overwatch launched that was able to make stop playing this game completely. Almost one year after...

I can't request you because of your settings

snack

Anyone in US WEST wanna play comp tonight? Around 8pm-12am PST. Hovering around 2.3-2.5k mmr. snack#1277 is my bnet handle.

exYle

I was going to try and have it beaten by tomorrow. I'm not even 50% done yet. If Orisa comes tomorrow I'll have to try to balance both games at once.

Where you at in the game? I'm level 41 (I think) and I'm pretty sure I'm starting to run out of things to do other than the rest of the main questline.

komaruR

would like to join in the qp hero testing
add my alt: its_torbjorn
also my main: xkomaru
so that i can join you guys on with alt when i see you on, on the phone app :p

Where you at in the game? I'm level 41 (I think) and I'm pretty sure I'm starting to run out of things to do other than the rest of the main questline.
****Horizon around the middle of the main quest line spoilers!!!***
I found Olin at the digsite and figured out what the nut jobs were planning to do. 'Hades' name came up for the first time

After that I went back to the starting area and did a bunch of collectible stuff. Which I'm not sure was a great use of my time. I don't want to burn out and have to coast to the finish line, which I have been known to do in games like this. So I'm going to put an emphasis on main and side quests and after I finish if I still want to do collectibles I will. At the very least I have to beat it before leaving for spring break on Friday.

Sorry for the Horizon derail. Blizz pls give Orisa tomorrow.

would like to join in the qp hero testing
add my alt: its_torbjorn
also my main: xkomaru
so that i can join you guys on with alt when i see you on, on the phone app :p

That name lol

You guys have alts on PS4? Why.

Mainly to try new characters in a comp environment. QP is a mess.

Last season I finished around 3500, the problem is at that rank I usually only do good with Lucio/Zen/S76/Rein, Pharah when I get the chance to play her and Tracer on KOTH.

I'm too inconsistent with Zarya, Mei, Hanzo (just to name a few) at that level. Getting placed in gold/platinum is going to be good to train with them without caring about rank.

KiraFA37

Has Oasis been played already at the professional level? If so does somebody have a vod? I don't like it when that map appears in comp since I'm still unsure what the best strat is.

LiK

Well, I don't get it. Rank isn't that important to me enough to make an alt unless I'm like in Bronze or Silvers from placements. One account is all I need. Altho I know people like Buttchin made an alt to play with friends who are too low for him to play with in Comp.

Akuun

Zarya is pretty fun. I like being able to save people with shields, she packs a punch when charged, can survive hooks sometimes, and her ult is so damn good.

When are good times to ult or bubble myself?

Anne

Guess I'm going to try streaming comp sessions at least 3 times or so a week. If anybody is interested in hanging out or learning how I play DPS/Flex in ladder I'll be around more often on twitch.

Ambient80

Had the best combo of ults last night on xbox. I played Sombra, had EMP and announced it. Genji and Zarya had their ults as well. Run into point B on Anubis. I invis'd and snuck up behind enemy team, spam EMP is ready, use EMP. Zarya immediately uses her ult and gathers their entire team, Genji and I finish them off as they are helpless.

It was absolutely beautiful. :')

Zarya is pretty fun. I like being able to save people with shields, she packs a punch when charged, can survive hooks sometimes, and her ult is so damn good.

Her Ult is basically made for the sole purpose of gathering the enemy team and have others on your team pop their ults to finish them off. She can put out some damage herself too, but it's not worth using (usually) if she's alone. So always make sure someone else has their charge ready to go, and are willing to coordinate with teammates (see my post above). As far as shielding, I try not to use it when I'm getting hit less frequently. I wanna make sure I get a decent charge out of it, but I also don't wanna commit so much that it gets busted and I'm suddenly dead. Full charge is useless if you're killed two seconds later.This is from Xbox perspective, so YMMV. Tracers always seem to shoot no matter what, so if one is harrassing me I'll pop it on myself or a nearby healer and get some nice charge out of it, with little risk to myself. Always have your shield ready on a big push. Don't be afraid to bubble DPS guys on your team, too, particularly one that is about to or is already using an ult. Soldier and Genji with a bubble is big trouble for the enemy team, and they instantly become the focus of their DPS. Therefore, you get more charge because they're going ham on the person using their ult.

I know that's a bit disorganized but that's how I see things when I'm playing. More experienced players may differ.

komaruR

You guys have alts on PS4? Why.
I made it back when my RL friend tried the free trials. I don't want him to group with my main where everyone is veteran/experience; I want him to get match make with people that just started the game too so its even grounds. It's more better experience for people who never played OW before.
Obviously i was joking around with that account with you know which hero. *whink*whink*
I did tried to comp with my friend on that alt too but after the placement, we are 1k apart lol.
I posted a video a while back of coaching my friend to be a dirty mei on eicanwalde :p

Guess I'm going to try streaming comp sessions at least 3 times or so a week. If anybody is interested in hanging out or learning how I play DPS/Flex in ladder I'll be around more often on twitch.

I'm interested but I might not be on when you stream. Probably can only watch your vod.

KiraFA37

Would love to take look, link please and what hours do you usually play?

Gorillaz

Advice: Don't play in offpeak hours during the weekend. You get some really bad players who can't teamwork for shit. I finally got competant players around 8-10AM Sunday morning.
I usually get a nice sweet run either if I'm off during the mid day (weekdays 10-3am) or late at night between 11pm to like 2.

Well, I don't get it. Rank isn't that important to me enough to make an alt unless I'm like in Bronze or Silvers from placements. One account is all I need. Altho I know people like Buttchin made an alt to play with friends who are too low for him to play with in Comp.

That's also a thing. Last season I couldn't play with a lot of the usual people because of the 500SR difference when you reach master. We also have a friend that was around 2200 and couldn't play comp with us during the whole season basically, so we just played QP when he was on.

Link? I know that I've watched you before but I can't find it.

LiK

I usually get a nice sweet run either if I'm off during the mid day (weekdays 10-3am) or late at night between 11pm to like 2.

yea, 4-7AM was the worst fucking time. I will never play Comp during those times again. I was awake and was in the mood to climb. Learned my lesson. It might be a good time to stack tho.

Akuun

Her Ult is basically made for the sole purpose of gathering the enemy team and have others on your team pop their ults to finish them off. She can put out some damage herself too, but it's not worth using (usually) if she's alone. So always make sure someone else has their charge ready to go, and are willing to coordinate with teammates (see my post above). As far as shielding, I try not to use it when I'm getting hit less frequently. I wanna make sure I get a decent charge out of it, but I also don't wanna commit so much that it gets busted and I'm suddenly dead. Full charge is useless if you're killed two seconds later.This is from Xbox perspective, so YMMV. Tracers always seem to shoot no matter what, so if one is harrassing me I'll pop it on myself or a nearby healer and get some nice charge out of it, with little risk to myself. Always have your shield ready on a big push. Don't be afraid to bubble DPS guys on your team, too, particularly one that is about to or is already using an ult. Soldier and Genji with a bubble is big trouble for the enemy team, and they instantly become the focus of their DPS. Therefore, you get more charge because they're going ham on the person using their ult.

I know that's a bit disorganized but that's how I see things when I'm playing. More experienced players may differ.
Thanks, that helps. The self bubble seems good for gathering charge while poking between teams so that you can get charged before a big team fight happens, but the timing seems tricky because if you pop it early and misjudge when the team will push in, you won't have the bubble back for the push itself. But on the other hand, if you save the bubble while poking between teams, you don't get charge.

Is dipping into the enemy side to lure hits a good idea since you can bait shots and bubble the damage? In which case, should I bubble before I dip in, or should I walk in, tank shots on my normal shields and then bubble myself on the way back to safety?

exYle

Gold is hell, man.

Akuun

Has Oasis been played already at the professional level? If so does somebody have a vod? I don't like it when that map appears in comp since I'm still unsure what the best strat is.
Yes, it's been showing up in Apex. You see a fair amount of Mercy and Pharah on those maps because of the verticality. Controlling the high ground seems very important.

Apex tournament playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6owoo-XG0&list=PLWQeRMoEALvpb6xzH50h4VCO6SksBjdSs

I generally bubble myself if I either want to:
Draw fire away from myself if I'm getting shot by a lot of people.
Block Roadhog's hook, either if he aims at you or at a teammate.

Unless your playing against stupid players, the bubble lets you control an encounter on your terms. They don't want to fire at the shield, so they'll either have to chase you/dodge your attacks, or look for another target. Just make sure you try not to bubble preemptively unless you're certain they're gonna shoot at you as soon as you use it. Same with the projected barrier.

Unless you have good team coordination, and call your ult with the knowledge that someone is saving their ult for you, at which point you can use it to clear a point easily, I'd either:
Use it when you have full charge, and just hope people will join in with you and attack it.
Use it to take people off a point (this is usually what I save it for). If the team is on the point and trying to contest or capture it, shot the orb outside of the point if they're close enough to move them off it.

LiK

2000-2500.

Gold has been up and down for me, I get winstreaks at times and sometimes you get paired with complete idiots who just don't care.

this seems to be the thing i hear most about lower ranks. i think people need to stack there to make it out.

exYle

what's the SR range for Gold?

2000-2500.

It sucks cause I know my friend is trying really hard, but we get paired with teammates who don't care about grouping up and making functional team comps. I can't play DPS cause I can never guarantee being supported by my team.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There honestly needs to be a flying hero that fucks Pharah as hard as she fucks Junkrat. I'm sure it's not an issue at GM level but with peaking and especially a Mercy, far FAR more effort is required by a single 76 or McCree to counter her than it does from her. It usually requires a team effort(Ana and Soldier or McCree nad Zen or something similar) to take her down akin to Roadhog except Roadhog can't run away and Pharah can.

In my games the only way I've found to deal with a Pharah getting free kills is if I pick Bastion or if I pick Zen if I already have a hitscan that cant kill her.

LiK

2000-2500.

It sucks cause I know my friend is trying really hard, but we get paired with teammates who don't care about grouping up and making functional team comps. I can't play DPS cause I can never guarantee being supported by my team.

Oh, so you're basically doing duo-queue there? yea, sounds bad. gotta be like a 4-5 stack to climb, imo. at least one dumb random can't ruin it.

Anne

I'm interested but I might not be on when you stream. Probably can only watch your vod.

Would love to take look, link please and what hours do you usually play?

Link? I know that I've watched you before but I can't find it.

I am here: https://www.twitch.tv/anneifrank

Times are random-ish cause I have a sleeping disorder :T. It can be anywhere from 6PM-5~AM American CST. I'll make posts when I go live as long as it's not too much self promotion. I'm really just doing this to try and get a "regular" hobby to keep my sanity from this sleep issue, and then to maybe have some people learn about Overwatch.

2000-2500.

image.php

"I need healing!" xD

At that rank S76 or Zarya are probably the best characters to carry. S76 for obvious reasons and Zarya because there's a lot of stupid teammates from which you can get a lot of charge, and people always seem to misjudge her beam's range.

Akuun

There honestly needs to be a flying hero that fucks Pharah as hard as she fucks Junkrat. I'm sure it's not an issue at GM level but with peaking and especially a Mercy, far FAR more effort is required by a single 76 or McCree to counter her than it does from her. It usually requires a team effort(Ana and Soldier or McCree nad Zen or something similar) to take her down akin to Roadhog except Roadhog can't run away and Pharah can.

In my games the only way I've found to deal with a Pharah getting free kills is if I pick Bastion or if I pick Zen if I already have a hitscan that cant kill her.
I actually hate fighting Pharah as Soldier because most of the time, the rest of my team goes "it's fine, we have a Soldier", then goes on to completely ignore Pharah while assuming I'll delete her from the game instantly. I can hurt her and sometimes kill her, but I can't shut her down alone unless she's way worse than me.

Soldier really isn't a hard counter to Pharah. IMO no single person is, really. It takes a few people paying attention to her at the same time whenever she shows up to really shut her down and make her switch to someone else. It can be Soldier and Zen, or Soldier and Ana, or McCree and D.Va, or any combination of people who can either shoot her directly or bother her landing spots, but given similar skill levels, no single player can singlehandedly shut down Pharah and I think a lot of people don't understand that.

LiK

I actually hate fighting Pharah as Soldier because most of the time, the rest of my team goes "it's fine, we have a Soldier", then goes on to completely ignore Pharah while assuming I'll delete her from the game instantly. I can hurt her and sometimes kill her, but I can't shut her down alone unless she's way worse than me.

Soldier really isn't a hard counter to Pharah. IMO no single person is, really. It takes a few people paying attention to her at the same time and taking her down repeatedly to really shut her down and make her switch to someone else. It can be Soldier and Zen, or Soldier and Ana, or McCree and D.Va, or any combination of people who can either shoot her directly or bother her landing spots, but given similar skill levels, no single player can singlehandedly shut down Pharah and I think a lot of people don't understand that.

I've had this reaction recently in Comp against good Pharahs. I can't soley focus on her when I'm trying to help kill other guys. I'll be looking up half the time and not paying attenton to flankers or help take down beefy tanks like Roadhog if that's the case. A good team will try to help out if they can. A Pharmercy combo is the absolute most annoying to deal with.

Soldier really isn't a hard counter to Pharah. IMO no single person is, really. It takes a few people paying attention to her at the same time whenever she shows up to really shut her down and make her switch to someone else. It can be Soldier and Zen, or Soldier and Ana, or McCree and D.Va, or any combination of people who can either shoot her directly or bother her landing spots, but given similar skill levels, no single player can singlehandedly shut down Pharah and I think a lot of people don't understand that.

It's funny you say that no one cares to help Soldier, I've got a friend who's always saying how we're fine since we have a Soldier to counter Pharah. But I can't think of the last time anyone tried to help him take a Pharah down.

I've had great success catching Pharahs wide open while running Bastion. It only take a second or two to take her out of the air with the turret as long as she doesn't have her Ult ready.

Akuun

I've had this reaction recently in Comp against good Pharahs. I can't soley focus on her when I'm trying to help kill other guys. I'll be looking up half the time and not paying attenton to flankers or help take down beefy tanks like Roadhog if that's the case. A good team will try to help out if they can. A Pharmercy combo is the absolute most annoying to deal with.
And to top it all off, it can sometimes lead to That Guy showing up and going "Oh dear~ why do I have gold damage/elims as a tank~~~"

You can see that sort of shit coming a mile away and it's infuriating.

It's funny you say that no one cares to help Soldier, I've got a friend who's always saying how we're fine since we have a Soldier to counter Pharah. But I can't think of the last time anyone tried to help him take a Pharah down.

I've had great success catching Pharahs wide open while running Bastion. It only take a second or two to take her out of the air with the turret as long as she doesn't have her Ult ready.
It really does. Pretty much anyone looking up for a few seconds to chip in a little damage after Soldier/McCree/Ana has landed a shot or two on Pharah is the difference between her flying away to safety and harassing you the rest of the game, and her deciding to switch after dying to it a few times.

LiK

I appreciate when I see Roadhogs and Zaryas help kill Pharahs. If someone is playing Bastion, they better be aiming at them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom