• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellie

I'm kinda laughing at how the OW youtubers are having a rough time keeping up with these sudden PTR changes.

Why? They can pad their videos for longer talking for 5 minutes about the previous changes/recycle their previous video to get that extra ad revenue. Also more videos=more money for them too.

LiK

Why? They can pad their videos for longer talking for 5 minutes about the previous changes/recycle their previous video to get that extra ad revenue. Also more videos=more money for them too.

I'm just enjoying how they're constantly being on blast to keep up. It's fun.

GoaThief

Where is the D.Va buff for goodness sake?

Also Ana and Zen back pedalling after one day is hilarious for all the wrong reasons, especially given the former situation and Bastion more recently. That the new tank is also a shield beast it's ludicrous how there are no real counters at present aside from rolling your own similar build with variations usually only coming from the DPS.

LiK

Their videos are just the discussions we have on gaf most of the time or in the case of stylosa, reading patch notes.

Well duh, I like hearing what people think of the changes. They all have different opinions of the patches. I don't like just sticking to this forum for people's opinions.

aeolist

Banned
Where is the D.Va buff for goodness sake?

Also Ana and Zen back pedalling after one day is hilarious for all the wrong reasons, especially given the former situation and Bastion more recently. That the new tank is also a shield beast it's ludicrous how there are no real counters at present aside from rolling your own similar build with variations usually only coming from the DPS.

dva's fine, you just can't play her the same as you could when she was invincible

stick to enemy roadhogs and eat their bullets every time they hook someone, it's great

antitrop

dva's fine, you just can't play her the same as you could when she was invincible

But how long will it take for D.Va players to realize this, because it's been two months now and I haven't seen an effective D.Va since. I almost never see her in the first place, and the rare times I do, it's basically a troll pick. She's easily the worst tank.

Anne

I play D.Va pretty well.

I think D.va's forget that she has insane mobility and the ability to delete any damage within 20m of her on a 1s CD >_>

She also has the largest health pool in the game but ya know people say she's too squishy. I need to make a thing just titled "You Don't Want Tanky Tanks in Overwatch" but nobody would listen.

LiK

But how long will it take for D.Va players to realize this, because it's been two months now and I haven't seen an effective D.Va since. I almost never see her in the first place, and the rare times I do, it's basically a troll pick. She's easily the worst tank.

I'm returning to D.va if I see an annoying Genji and Widow now. She's still viable but I think a lot of people who only got into using her post-buff played her differently than her vanilla version. I've seen some really good D.vas and they're pretty ace with their DMs and boosting away. I climbed in S2 using D.va only.

Jellie

Well duh, I like hearing what people think of the changes. They all have different opinions of the patches. I don't like just sticking to this forum for people's opinions.
Watched some of them. Seems they think he would have been the only counter to barriers for some reason.

I play D.Va pretty well.

I think D.va's forget that she has insane mobility and the ability to delete any damage within 20m of her on a 1s CD >_>

She also has the largest health pool in the game but ya know people say she's too squishy. I need to make a thing just titled "You Don't Want Tanky Tanks in Overwatch" but nobody would listen.

What? Is the range that big?

D.va's shield range is long enough that sometimes I ult with Roadhog and she blocks most my bullets from behind me or to my side.

On that note, the one frustrating thing I've found with Roadhog's hook now is that because I have to microwalk before shooting people after a successful hook, I take a lot more damage. I've had to be far more conservative about when I choose to hook as a result, and I wonder how he is faring in higher level play right now (I really don't know).

Now that I am spending much more of my time running around gunning with Roadhog, I really, really wish they would up his ammo count to 6.

It's 15m actually. Still a lot, but yeah crazy long. Especially if you consider she has the staying power to be within 15m of most anything she wants to be.

Even that is crazy good. I noticed she had a lot of range, but had no idea it was that much.

LiK

D.va should be one of the top priority targets, imo. Her DM can negate so much damage that it's annoying to fight against in a group fight. As Zen, I would always place a Discord on her so the team will know to focus fire on her and get rid of that damn Meka. But when I play with randoms, they don't bother and she becomes more of a pain as the fight goes on.

ricelord

D.va should be one of the top priority targets, imo. Her DM can negate so much damage that it's annoying to fight against in a group fight. As Zen, I would always place a Discord on her so the team will know to focus fire on her and get rid of that damn Meka. But when I play with randoms, they don't bother and she becomes more of a pain as the fight goes on.

or aim at her center of mass and watch as shes melt like butter.

Skii

My team: 1 diamond(me) 5 Platinum
Enemy team: 3 diamonds 3 platinums

Couldn't even that out Blizzard?

I was in a placement game today where my team was full of silver/gold and one platinum player vs 4 diamonds and 2 plats.

Blizzard matchmaking >>>

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Are you in a stack?
No, I play comp solo for the most part. There was only one diamond in a stack with a platinum on the enemy team so I'm puzzled as to why we were matched this way. Enemy team also had a higher SR average by 50.

Anne

Also to people asking where was the meaningful D.Va buff, it was the one that removed the travel time requirement on DM.

or aim at her center of mass and watch as shes melt like butter.

This is only half true. She can be killed as fast as any other tank, but between DM and her unique mobility it's an issue.

antitrop

The only D.Va I've played with in S4 was a S3 Master D.Va main that dropped to Diamond. He was the best ult battery the enemy team could have asked for for two rounds, then switched to Torb for the 3rd and final KOTH round, after our Rein tilted at him. Rein ended the match with a "Sorry about the D.Va nerfs, but good luck in Platinum". My opinion of the character is pretty much in the gutter, whether it's that she's just not strong enough numbers-wise or people don't know how to play her correctly, I just don't want her on my team.

Jellie

I was in a placement game today where my team was full of silver/gold and one platinum player vs 4 diamonds and 2 plats.

Blizzard matchmaking >>>
Had a placement match with the enemy team having a GM lucio main and two plat lucio mains.
Was fun.

The only D.Va I've played with in S4 was a S3 Master D.Va main that dropped to Diamond. He was the best ult battery the enemy team could have asked for for two rounds, then switched to Torb for the 3rd and final KOTH round, after our Rein tilted at him. Rein ended the match with a "Sorry about the D.Va nerfs, but good luck in Platinum". My opinion of the character is pretty much in the gutter, whether it's that she's just not strong enough numbers-wise or people don't know how to play her correctly, I just don't want her on my team.

That shade from reinhardt. I find if there is a dva on the enemy team I get graviton in less than a minute. Especially if there is a hog too and no reinhardt to block my damage.

LiK

I'll remember to only play as D.va when I move to PC.

Blizzard matchmaking >>>

Harbleu's stream earlier had a game where it was him (GM) and 5 diamonds vs. 3 Ms / 3 Diamonds.

The fucked up part is that his team clean sweeped Ilios 3-0.

He was being super communicative and positive, and his team was, too. He'd swap or ask for swaps and get them. He'd throw it out there that someone was pocketing their Ult for too long, and they'd use it in the next scuffle.

The other team clearly didn't have the same communication. A pick or two would turn into near-wipes.

antitrop

That shade from reinhardt. I find if there is a dva on the enemy team I get graviton in less than a minute. Especially if there is a hog too and no reinhardt to block my damage.

I didn't say anything on voice comms, but I was with him in spirit. He was a good Rein, we had a good team comp aside from the thrower, I was playing a 4 Gold Soldier game and got POTM, and the enemy team wasn't anything special, but a thrower is a thrower.

The saddest part was that the third round was the closest, because he got more value out of his troll Torb than he did when he was actually trying as D.Va in the first two rounds.

Veelk

Banned
I'm NOT an extraordinary player in general, but I do pretty well with D.Va. In fact, my experience is that D.Va is actually more fun to play now that she has a weakness because you have to actually actively pay attention to the battlefield to make sure you don't get shot down.

But her DM ability and her mobility make her an extremely effective disruptor. You need to alternate between 3 basic goals: Either you act as a supporting DPS with your team, batting the enemy with your infinite shotgun rounds from a different angle while your team approaches from elsewhere, you act as a frontline shield for your DPS so he can mow down whoever he's trying to 1v1, or else you 1v1 the targets you can.

For that last bit, you have to work around the characters your fighting. Some characters you almost never want to engage 1v1, like Mei. Everything she does counters you. Or Zarya, who you can only take if she has no charge. But other characters can be fun to mess with. For example, a good Tracer will typically out DPS D.Va, but you can actually block half her shots with DM by timing it right. Your CD is a tad slower than hers, but you can DM her first burst, shoot her while she reloads, shoots the second burst, and reloads again, then DM the third burst, etc. This actually has me winning many Tracer battles even though she should tear me apart.

Playing Mccree has been kind of painful this season after being stellar with my games on him last season. 2700-2800 range and not getting the same level of support and getting dived pretty hard. Find myself switching to Soldier a lot just for the self heal and mobility to disengage.

Having much more fun on Genji, Tracer, and Zarya. Sitting on a 84% win rate on Zarya and had a crazy KOTH game last night where I only died once across all three maps in a 3-0 sweep. Probably one of my best games from a K:D perspective. I think I might get her gold weapon next.

AbaFadi

Banned
I haven't really tried out D.Va's new buff since I got really bored of her after playing her so much in seasons 2 and 3. The buff does sound pretty helpful though, since defense matrix was a bit inconsistent at times with the minimum distance projectiles needed to travel before being eaten.

Skii

Harbleu's stream earlier had a game where it was him (GM) and 5 diamonds vs. 3 Ms / 3 Diamonds.

The fucked up part is that his team clean sweeped Ilios 3-0.

He was being super communicative and positive, and his team was, too. He'd swap or ask for swaps and get them. He'd throw it out there that someone was pocketing their Ult for too long, and they'd use it in the next scuffle.

The other team clearly didn't have the same communication. A pick or two would turn into near-wipes.

But that one kinda makes sense. There's at least an attempt at balancing SR. With my game, I genuinely can't understand how the SR was balanced between both teams because from what I saw, my team was clearly around 500 SR lower than our opponents.

And then my last placement game was silver/gold with one diamond in each. Game was just decided by which diamond player popped off more on DPS.

I can't say it was really fun for me and can't imagine it's fun for the silver/gold players somehow ending up playing diamond opponents.

I haven't really tried out D.Va's new buff since I got really bored of her after playing her so much in seasons 2 and 3. The buff does sound pretty helpful though, since defense matrix was a bit inconsistent at times with the minimum distance projectiles needed to travel before being eaten.

Today in a comp game I was saved by a hook thanks to DM. But you have to ask, why not hook the DVa? lol.

ImBehindYou

Neo Member
Almost broke my incredible loss streak but then someone decided to run around on the ship for a round because someone asked them nicely to switch character off hanzo. Fuck people.

Question: is it a mistake to flank with Roadhog?

It's pretty much all I do, and in a lot of matches I run into a situation where I flank successfully, but my team is all dead so it kind of didn't matter. I wonder if depriving my team of my 600 fatness is part of the reason why.

On the other hand, if I stay with the group, then usually no one flanks and I don't get a lot of good hook openings because of enemy awareness and (almost always) Reinhardt.

finalflame

It's pretty much all I do, and in a lot of matches I run into a situation where I flank successfully, but my team is all dead so it kind of didn't matter. I wonder if depriving my team of my 600 fatness is part of the reason why.

On the other hand, if I stay with the group, then usually no one flanks and I don't get a lot of good hook openings because of enemy awareness and (almost always) Reinhardt.

If your team is dead the flanking didn't matter. Work on helping your team wear down the Rein shield with your alternate fire, it does insane damage to the shield, then get your pick, or if you flank have a plan to quickly get back to your team and don't let them die.

Anne

It's almost always better to just pelt Rein shield and hang around and be threatening on defense. You're going to really need to peel and just win the shield war. Sometimes a flank can be okay if the enemy team is moving slowly but eh.

On offense flanking is a lot better since one pick literally wins the map sometimes. Still good to just pelt Rein shields. Most better teams won't let you flank like that but he when it happens it's kinda godlike.

You want to help win the shield war with your right clicks and by flanking you are depeiving your team of the space you create by being a front line threat with your hook. You're also not helping in team fights while flanking. Roadhog is a slow character and potentially leaving your team to 5v6 if your flank is unsuccessful is not great.

caesar

Banned
But that one kinda makes sense. There's at least an attempt at balancing SR. With my game, I genuinely can't understand how the SR was balanced between both teams because from what I saw, my team was clearly around 500 SR lower than our opponents.

And then my last placement game was silver/gold with one diamond in each. Game was just decided by which diamond player popped off more on DPS.

I can't say it was really fun for me and can't imagine it's fun for the silver/gold players somehow ending

Did you place yet?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

You kinda answered your own question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom