• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

too bad about Zen, oh well.

the MAIN issue w/ Ana, imo, is her grenade (anti-heal in particular, which I know was never even affected). But with the grenade nerf being reverted... it's like nothing's been done, yet again. xD

Ana STAYS winning & dominating.

What's your PSN again? I forget.

Anne

Just because barriers are mad good doesn't mean it's okay to put in something as crazy busted as that discord orb to fight it :T

LiK

Just because barriers are mad good doesn't mean it's okay to put in something as crazy busted as that discord orb to fight it :T

Jeff even said if the barriers are too much then they'll balance them out.

bte, do y'all still QP anymore? Ever since the arcade browser update all I've been playing is Total Mayhem. xD

i haven't even done my S4 placements, yet. >__<

res1tvih

QP and Arcade is all I've been playing after placements and reaching Diamond in Solo Q. Most of the Gaffers here on PS4 haven't done their placements either.

xaosslug

for the longest time I always thought Zen could discord through barriers, just because I usually see Rein running around discorded. xD

Jellie

figured as much. Couldn't risk Rein falling out of favour, I guess! ;)

the MAIN issue w/ Ana, imo, is her grenade (anti-heal in particular, which I know was never even affected). But with the grenade nerf being reverted... it's like nothing's been done, yet again. xD

Ana STAYS winning & dominating.

New Ana changes on PTR: Grenade now goes through barriers.

Were people saying they saw GM grouped with Gold? How is that possible with the 500SR limitation? Maybe if they weren't in a group together but in my experience the matchmaking has been a lot better this season.

I would have liked to see the Zen orb stuff in play before coming to any conclusion personally. For a game where counters play a role in its design, barriers have existed thus far without a true one.

finalflame

What if shes comes to you and alt fires you while you try to flee.

Then you die. Getting close to a fully charged Zarya is a death sentence to pretty much anyone who can't kill her in two seconds. She does 190dps at full charge, enough to melt any hero in a bit over a second or most tanks in a bit over two. A direct hit from a fully charged projectile is 90.

Just let the "primitive" projectiles (arrows, shurikans, rivets) pass through barriers unimpeded like Sym Orbs do with perhaps a damage malus or something. Makes sense from a lore standpoint as well to explain why so many people use old school weapons in the future other than the rule of cool of course.

TheOddOne

New Ana changes on PTR: Grenade now goes through barriers.
full

I haven't done my post-placement matches yet, the ones that have that accelerated SR gain.

Is it better to do those solo or to group up for them? Will I gain less if I group?

Jellie

dodge and weave. it's like dancing.
Will still get hit if Zarya can predict your movement.
Then you die. Getting close to a fully charged Zarya is a death sentence to pretty much anyone who can't kill her in two seconds. She does 190dps at full charge, enough to melt any hero in a bit over a second or most tanks in a bit over two. A direct hit from a fully charged projectile is 90.

That's the point I was making.

Skii

I would have liked to see the Zen orb stuff in play before coming to any conclusion personally. For a game where counters play a role in its design, barriers have existed thus far without a true one.

But Zen orb would have no counter play if it could penetrate barriers. You can either break LOS taking you out of a fight or you use a Zarya bubble and it's an immense waste to use an 8 sec CD ability on cleansing discord.

Veelk

Banned

Which is why I think Zarya needs another nerf to her barriers. It should be harder to maintain that charge than it currently is. I'd put the max charge she can get from a barrier at 30%. Force her to earn that DPS.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know some people like it but I really wish they would stop changing voice lines for skins just because I still can't tell the difference between my Mercy's rez line and the enemy Mercy's rez line because there's like 8 different voice lines total for it

But Zen orb would have no counter play if it could penetrate barriers. You can either break LOS taking you out of a fight or you use a Zarya bubble and it's an immense waste to use an 8 sec CD ability on cleansing discord.
So break LOS or prioritize the Zen that's in LOS. Or even rejigger discord to have some cooldown after casts. Being discorded does not stop barriers from actually working, just the opportunities once they're not present.

LiK

Will still get hit if Zarya can predict your movement.

Which is why you don't stay long enough for it to happen. Let someone else take the hits while you try to flank around. Not gonna sit there and let her pound me with alt fire.

antitrop

I know some people like it but I really wish they would stop changing voice lines for skins just because I still can't tell the difference between my Mercy's rez line and the enemy Mercy's rez line because there's like 8 different voice lines total for it
Enemy Mercy rez is always in german, "Helden sterben nicht!". Even enemy Mercy with Witch skin will still say it in german.

Any variation on it in english is friendly Mercy, "Heroes never die!, "My servants never die", "'Till Valhalla", etc.

Jellie

So break LOS or prioritize the Zen that's in LOS. Or even rejigger discord to have some cooldown after casts. Being discorded does not stop barriers from actually working, just the opportunities once they're not present.

If you break LoS, it becomes a 5 v 6 and he can just discord somebody else. Barrier will do nothing as zen would be used in a dive comp who will ignore the barrier.

If you break LoS, it becomes a 5 v 6 and he can just discord somebody else. Barrier will do nothing as zen would be used in a dive comp who will ignore the barrier.
We can go down some theory encounter rabbithole, but is the suggestion here that a Zen being present on the other team at present requires a Reinhardt on yours?

You're assuming she has no charge though. A Zarya with charge will probably melt that Soldier in a close ranged fight.

Yeah, whenever I see Zarya as a Soldier I just run for my life. You don't want to be in that 15m beam range against her 1vs1, even if she is low charge. If she has her bubble available you're basically fucked, she has more than time to kill you before you can kill her unless she isn't at full hp. When she's charged it's not even a fight.

Jellie

We can go down some theory encounter rabbithole, but is the suggestion here that a Zen being present on the other team at present requires a Reinhardt on yours?

Not really. Reinhardt is picked for more reasons than just discord orb. Mainly to counter earth shatter and prevent hooks. Blocking discord is just a bonus.

Not really. Reinhardt is picked for more reasons than just discord orb. Mainly to counter earth shatter and prevent hooks. Blocking discord is just a bonus.
Yeah, so I don't have an issue with it. Zenyatta doesn't need a Reinhardt to be played around, so having Reinhardt be an easy discord target seems fine to me.

RemiLP

Zen being a sniper is way better than barrier Discord. I want this change to go live. I wanna shoot Widows and Pharahs in the face.

sure about that?

He is still shots projectiles, so you have to lead your shots. The smal amount the orbs are off now, is pretty much not noticable when you are moving and the target is moving, and the fact that the orbs has such a large hitbox as it is.

Maybe my aim isnt good enough, but i dont see this as a big buff at all.

LiK

sure about that?

He is still shots projectiles, so you have to lead your shots. The smal amount the orbs are off now, is pretty much not noticable when you are moving and the target is moving, and the fact that the orbs has such a large hitbox as it is.

Maybe my aim isnt good enough, but i dont see this as a big buff at all.

I do pretty well with him already as is. This will def make aiming for targets further away much better. But that's just how I like to play. Keep those pesky heroes away from my team.

Skii

But barriers don't work against Genji, Winston and Tracer... the heros you'd play with Zenyatta to abuse the fact that you can discord the Ana/Mercy who will die immediately or you can discord the Rein who'll die immediately.

But barriers don't work against Genji, Winston and Tracer... the heros you'd play with Zenyatta to abuse the fact that you can discord the Ana/Mercy who will die immediately or you can discord the Rein who'll die immediately.
They can do their thing, Hog can hook the Zen in LOS and we can not worry about that for an encounter.

Anne

I actually got to mess around with that version of Zen. Basically the way Zen works is that if he can E you in an open area, you are dead outright or at least under pressure to be near peel. Rein works by making open spaces not open. On PTR Zen could just straight up negate that aspect of Rein and things got deleted /fast/. If you give that thing to pros it's fucking over for barriers period.

We want things in the game that makes fighting barriers interesting and more risky for barrier users, but that was a hell of a bit much. It would basically make Zen hard counter Rein to a degree where you wouldn't really pick Rein on defense because it would be too RPS risky to do it :T

If things didn't get auto deleted by a dive from discord I'd be okay with it, but the fact is they do. It's just too fast to deal with.

KiraFA37

This thread moves fast when I'm not available. I'm quite surprised at the turn around time on those Ana nerfs, I mean is a day good enough for some meaningful data? That being said, the grenade ofcourse deserves to be looked at but not a clear 50% percent cut across the board. They should like into different values like 30% or 40% and then they could nerf the damage and healing aspect separately.

LiK

I'm kinda laughing at how the OW youtubers are having a rough time keeping up with these sudden PTR changes.

Paltheos

I don't know about all this "the grenade obviously needs to be looked at" stuff. The meta before the new Bastion was pretty diverse, letting any of the healers fly to a degree and allowing traditional and dive comps. The grenade got hit with a nerf bat already, as it should have been. Let's see what becomes of this new one with the new Ana nerf before deciding she needs to be nerfed again.

finalflame

Sure, and it's perfectly fine.

Which is why I think Zarya needs another nerf to her barriers. It should be harder to maintain that charge than it currently is. I'd put the max charge she can get from a barrier at 30%. Force her to earn that DPS.

No, she does not need to be nerfed further. Don't shoot her shield if you care enough, but any coordinated team will just burn it down and focus fire her because they understand how much of a threat she is. You're not supposed to be caught alone without your team and with your pants down by Zarya, she's not a flanker and doesn't have any mobility.

Stop calling for nerfs for any hero you can't 1v1 in every conceivable scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom