• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
On offense flanking is a lot better since one pick literally wins the map sometimes. Still good to just pelt Rein shields. Most better teams won't let you flank like that but he when it happens it's kinda godlike.

Yeah, last night there was a soldier on the top part of point A King's Row and our comp couldn't deal with it. So when we got our push I just walked up there with hog and hooked him. His all chat reply was hilarious too:

"Hog, did you walk at any point during that fight?" I had literally just walked right next to him and shot him lol.

lol, you'd think the penalty would kick in by now.

The problem is that many times it's the game fault. In my first comp game this season after the placements I only saw the intro names of the playes, and then I was kicked out. Lost 50SR without even seeing the character selection screen.

I've never had so much bad luck in this game, it's just unbelievable. It ruined my placements and now broke my SR gain by being on a winstreak. If it wasn't for the bonus SR gain of the first matches I would be mid-silver by now.

Hopefully by playing many games things start balancing out.

randome

What's your rank

I'm just doing the placements now. Last season I bought overwatch at the end of the season and placed at 2000. But I never knew what competitive was and just used junkrat a lot and dropped to like 1500-1600. Im considerably better now (id like to think) so I'm hoping I'll do better this time.

Skii

I did on one account, still 2 to go.

Up for q? I might not be on though, so dont wait around.

Yeah we can do comp tomorrow morning/afternoon if you're on. I'll probably be boosting whoever I group up with to masters... it went that badly lol.

Ok 3rd game in a row with quitter, again on my team, different dude.

I'm going to assume the game is having problems right now because they weren't rage quits, time to stop.

If you want me to hop on for duo lmk, I got plat on the smurf somehow today. Lost two winnable games on my way to diamond though :(

Shoot me an invite if you see me on. Not a good idea right now though.

komaruR

My team: 1 diamond(me) 5 Platinum
Enemy team: 3 diamonds 3 platinums

Couldn't even that out Blizzard?
do diamond who drop to plat still keep the diamond emblem? probably those are the fallen diamond people.

Ok 3rd game in a row with quitter, again on my team, different dude.

I'm going to assume the game is having problems right now because they weren't rage quits, time to stop.

Shoot me an invite if you see me on. Not a good idea right now though.
you're scaring me to do my placement now! was planning to do like 3 today and 3 tomm to finish it off.

antitrop

do diamond who drop to plat still keep the diamond emblem? probably those are the fallen diamond people.

you're scaring me to do my placement now! was planning to do like 3 today and 3 tomm to finish it off.

Bronze-Diamond keep their highest rank icon, yeah. Master-Top500 have to maintain at least the minimum SR to keep it.

bjork

I played my first match in competitive today. I'm level 25, all the other guys on my team had stars and stuff on their icons. I mostly play Lucio so I just kind of hung back and tried to keep the tanks healed up, but I'm not sure if that's the proper way to play him? Anyway, we won so I have 1-0 record now.

Will probably play 1 match per day because OW is like the only game I feel legit anxiety over playing well at. My poor ticker can't take it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm a dropped Diamond myself(twice now), but my point was that the teams could've had a balanced amount of diamonds and there was a large SR average disparity.

adamy

Banned
I play on PS4 currently but thinking of picking it up on PC, just worried my PC is too slow. was hoping for some feedback...it's an alienware alpha i3, see below for specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130T Dual Core Processor (3M Cache, 2.9 GHz)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GPU 2GB GDDR5 (gtx 860m which I hear is identical to a gtx 750 ti)
8gb ram

thoughts?

Which GPU exactly?

Looks like a laptop tho. Best just to goon YouTube, type in your GPU model + Overwatch and see other people's experiences.

Edit: ah it's an Alienware alpha i3. Just type in that + Overwatch. That thing has like a 750 TI right?

finalflame

I play on PS4 currently but thinking of picking it up on PC, just worried my PC is too slow. was hoping for some feedback...it's an alienware alpha i3, see below for specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130T Dual Core Processor (3M Cache, 2.9 GHz)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GPU 2GB GDDR5
8gb ram

thoughts?

Depends -- are you trying to play OW at 60fps, or higher? I think one of the main benefits of PC Overwatch is getting a 144hz monitor and playing the game at 100+fps. The i3 might just barely be enough to make that possible, but you might really want an i5.

With that said, we need to know exactly which GPU, but it's most likely the mobile version of the 960, which could b sufficient to run the game at low-medium settings and ove 100fps. You'll need to do some research to make sure, however.

adamy

Banned
Which GPU exactly?

Looks like a laptop tho. Best just to goon YouTube, type in your GPU model + Overwatch and see other people's experiences.

Edit: ah it's an Alienware alpha i3. Just type in that + Overwatch. That thing has like a 750 TI right?
Depends -- are you trying to play OW at 60fps, or higher? I think one of the main benefits of PC Overwatch is getting a 144hz monitor and playing the game at 100+fps. The i3 might just barely be enough to make that possible, but you might really want an i5.

With that said, we need to know exactly which GPU, but it's most likely the mobile version of the 960, which could b sufficient to run the game at low-medium settings and ove 100fps. You'll need to do some research to make sure, however.

gtx 860m which I hear is identical to a gtx 750 ti.

finalflame

gtx 860m which I hear is identical to a gtx 750 ti.

What's the price? We could probably build you a slightly better PC in a similarly small form factor for the same money that doesn't use laptop components. If you're down, feel free to dive in here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222740

You seriously don't need much power at all for overwatch.

Also you should play low for competitive anyway.

Depends. For high FPS, you do need a decent bit of processing power, but GPU doesn't matter much. OW benefits greatly from dual channel RAM and higher processor IPC performance. Going from i3- > i5 -> i7 definitely netted me significant FPS increases along the way with the same GPU (GTX1060), from a fluctuating ~100fps to fluctuating 240fps to a solid 300fps. Very high framerates are typically constrained by CPU performance, and OW is no exception to this.

Also, pro-tip: If you're using single-channel RAM, OW will perform like shit. You need at least 2 sticks and dual-channel to get much better memory bandwidth and acceptable performance. Most PCs use two sticks, but I learned this the hard way.

Vitanimus

Won 3/3 of my placement matches so far, including a POTG x5 rez. The enemy team was seething! I've also really put into use of not "hiding for rez" and being more situationally aware of picks and turning 4v5 fights into 6v5 fights and winning. Shit works man!

adamy

Banned
Oh you're good then, I'm sure you could get that bad boy on there at least at 100fps with low settings.

sounds good, I hear the gtx 860m that comes with the alienware alpha can be overclocked without many issues. might OC the GPU and download the game when I get home to give it a go on PC.

wish there was a way to get it discounted given I already own the game on a different platform :(

Jellie

Won 3/3 of my placement matches so far, including a POTG x5 rez. The enemy team was seething! I've also really put into use of not "hiding for rez" and being more situationally aware of picks and turning 4v5 fights into 6v5 fights and winning. Shit works man!

Thought you were meant to be a Sombra main? Should heal with Sombra not Mercy

Of course that when a player on the other team leaves the game it has to be during the first minute so the game is cancelled...

Maybe they were AFK. Most of the times when you cap the objective before a minute its because it was 6v5 due to an AFKer.

antitrop

My Zen is leet

epIDvbZ.png

adamy

Banned
still debating whether to pick this up on PC...made a ton of friends on PS4 and it would be kinda a bitch finding new reliable people to team up with

Seems like the bonus SR is "only" for the first 25 games after placements.

Maybe they were AFK. Most of the times when you cap the objective before a minute its because it was 6v5 due to an AFKer.

Yeah most likely that, I just got salty because when it's on my team is always 3-4 minutes into the game :p

Quan

Seems like Blizzard doesn't know how to make a good ranking system.. for fuck sake I spend the last 2 hours claiming up then in the last game I got disconnected I came back at the finish of the game.. then they dropped my rank by 50.. so the last 2 hours were for nothing! I have limited free time and this shit happens.. Fuck this system.

Jellie

Seems like the bonus SR is "only" for the first 25 games after placements.

Yeah most likely that, I just got salty because when it's on my team is always 3-4 minutes into the game :p

I thought it was until you reached your hidden MMR? Maybe it took you 25 games to?

still debating whether to pick this up on PC...made a ton of friends on PS4 and it would be kinda a bitch finding new reliable people to team up with

Try it the next time a free weekend comes up maybe. You'll find people on Gaf just like how I and many others who came from console did.

EDIT: 360mb PTR update.

Wonder if doomfist will be a pve thing

Dunno how they could keep someone like terry crews as a hero since they ass voice lines every other patch

Although I guess he could just not be terry crews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom