• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power of Shaq AND Washington? Nothing can stop them now

I guess Blizzard's 10+ million dollar price tags on the LA and New York spots seems more reasonable if the cities themselves are willing to step in. Also means we might get better legislation on esports in general.

Jellie

Yep, this.

When the other team has flank heavy players and rectangle man just can't keep anyone alive long enough or block 4 angles at once, Orisa will be a better tank IMO.

Wall one angle, mini-grav another, fortify and shoot the Pharah, etc.
She gets countered by dives. They ignore the barrier, you can't move it and all you can do is fortify to stall your death.

She has no mobility or escape options, a bad hitbox and low hp for a tank so flankers will shred her.

Uncle AJ

Managing tilt and salt is always an ongoing process. I had a sliver of hope that quitting fighting games would cut that out of the equation. Should've known better!

Weirdly enough, my most rage-inducing moments in this game happen in the lowest-stakes situations, like playing Mystery Heroes solo with the intention of just goofing around to get some loot boxes. Taking the possibility of harassment from teammates for your hero choice completely out of the equation is a very enticing incentive for me. But what ends up happening is getting furiously mad at MYSELF because I can't execute some basic functions of certain heroes. When I die in a situation that I know was super advantageous for me and anyone else would have won without breaking a sweat, I flip out and start smashing things.

Just about every competitive fighting game player I've met, including myself, are naturally salty people. The squad I rolled with when Overwatch first dropped was entirely just local FGC friends, and it took over 3 months of tolerance to finally just cut them loose. The group was only "reliable" insofar as they would very rarely criticize me, almost like they were afraid to, and that provided me with a certain comfort. Better than taking my chances in solo queue where toxicity thrives, right? But the incessant bitching and pub-teammate-blaming was preventing everyone from progressing.

For better or for worse, I'm one of those players that has an almost exclusive "this loss was my fault somehow, need to think about what I did wrong" mindset, whereas 90% of the players I run into are the opposite, who have a constant need to "protect" themselves by shifting blame to others and refusing to acknowledge their own inadequacies. I'm a little too far on the other end of the spectrum, though, to the point where I literally just CAN'T recognize when teammates aren't pulling their weight. I don't want those thoughts to even enter my head.

KiraFA37

true... i need to play horizon dawn, nioh and for honor and nier about to come out on steam... smh.

I still have a back log of Civ6, Mirrors Edge, Fire Emblem, Zero Escape, Pokémon. After I finished those I can start thinking about future releases and a Switch. But not I continue to play Overwatch...

finalflame

I really don't know when I'm going to come back to this. 2017 game lineup is insane.

Carry the torch while I'm gone bros :(

This is .. the opposite of me. I have BOTW, Horizon, NiOh, Nier, Torment, and a bunch of other smaller stuff lined up but all I play is OW. BOTW is the one that came closest from pulling me away and I'll definitely dedicate some time to, but yah...the addiction is real B O I E S.

SKILL DECAY
Can't decay if I haven't placed yet :)

One of those games better be horizon
Most definitely.

I got NieR and Zelda to play after I finish Horizon. But I'll still jump back into OW when I have that itch.
I still have to beat Horizon which will lead me into Mass Effect, which will lead me into Persona, which will lead me into a Switch + Zelda after the semester ends.

I'm sure I'll play from time to time. I have to try Orisa for sure. But I can't see it being my go to game for quite a awhile.

She gets countered by dives. They ignore the barrier, you can't move it and all you can do is fortify to stall your death.

She has no mobility or escape options, a bad hitbox and low hp for a tank so flankers will shred her.

But at least you can shoot back, right? I haven't played her yet but does the gun do decent damage?

rulerk1

Wtf is up with these matches today. Full stubborn ppl and ppl who don't want to heal Jesus. Finally won a math that was a train wreck at he beginning. Dude it's I was able to play mercy in comp today and wrecked a genii over and over so there's that

antitrop

Is having 11k as average for mercy really bad?

Nope. I think >10k for Competitive is good and >6k for QP.

Having high average healing can be misleading, though, because mistakes made in the early game can lead to longer games that will give you naturally higher average healing.

I mean, if you play extremely well and full-hold a point, your average healing is going to be less than if you accidentally died and had to play a much longer game, right?

I think checking the average healing per life on Oversumo (or dividing average healing by average deaths on Overbuff) is more useful than overall average healing. Mine is 1.7k in QP and 3k in Comp.

Anne

Match ups don't work like this you know :p
Rein basically has all of the same problems except he has more limited range and no CC outside of ult. He's still weak to dive, ye, but you can mitigate that with a well rounded comp. Like, you can pick Zarya to go with Rein or Orisa and a lot of those problems are softened.

The fact in the instance of a dive she can still hit shift and deal ranged damage means she at least has a threatening presence. Add in an Ana/Zarya combo with appropriate DPS behind her and it'll work. We already know this from experience because the same thing goes on with Rein.

I'm starting to think eventually things will develop where Rein won't work against dive too. We're already seeing it happening. I'm not sure what the answer to that is going to be on defense. First team to figure that out post-trip tank is gonna win a tournament.

pizzacat

Banned
I finally got some good rein matches in last night

The earthshatter mind games is still something that is bothering me tho, I baited one yesterday which felt good but I'm never able to hit a good one

Managing tilt and salt is always an ongoing process. I had a sliver of hope that quitting fighting games would cut that out of the equation. Should've known better!

Weirdly enough, my most rage-inducing moments in this game happen in the lowest-stakes situations, like playing Mystery Heroes solo with the intention of just goofing around to get some loot boxes. Taking the possibility of harassment from teammates for your hero choice completely out of the equation is a very enticing incentive for me. But what ends up happening is getting furiously mad at MYSELF because I can't execute some basic functions of certain heroes. When I die in a situation that I know was super advantageous for me and anyone else would have won without breaking a sweat, I flip out and start smashing things.

Just about every competitive fighting game player I've met, including myself, are naturally salty people. The squad I rolled with when Overwatch first dropped was entirely just local FGC friends, and it took over 3 months of tolerance to finally just cut them loose. The group was only "reliable" insofar as they would very rarely criticize me, almost like they were afraid to, and that provided me with a certain comfort. Better than taking my chances in solo queue where toxicity thrives, right? But the incessant bitching and pub-teammate-blaming was preventing everyone from progressing.

For better or for worse, I'm one of those players that has an almost exclusive "this loss was my fault somehow, need to think about what I did wrong" mindset, whereas 90% of the players I run into are the opposite, who have a constant need to "protect" themselves by shifting blame to others and refusing to acknowledge their own inadequacies. I'm a little too far on the other end of the spectrum, though, to the point where I literally just CAN'T recognize when teammates aren't pulling their weight. I don't want those thoughts to even enter my head.

I get really riled up when I throw games by cracking up at crucial points. Also, when my team starts losing in competitive (recent placement matches I had in s3 and s4), I keep having thoughts of me being just extremely bad and at the bottom of the playerbase in terms of skill; I start performing badly and my aim goes to shit (I notice that clearly). Then I start remembering other personal stuff like college and it all points to me just sucking at everything.

I have serious psychological issues regarding competition. I know some people may say that it is just a video game, but my problems extend to other things too. I don't know how can some people stay poised and positive in such situations.

I do blame my teammates, even though I might be a direct reason in losing where I am doing subtle questionable stuff that I wouldn't notice instantly (unless I recall back what I did in the match).

I am constantly training and watching high level footage; my stats improved significantly compared to when I was playing last summer. Actually, coaching my friend who just got a gaming PC (and OW) helped me improve too, especially in terms of game sense, map awareness and teamwork. Getting frustrated and salty is hard to fix though.

Im still playing Overwatch cause no store close to me has a Switch still no Zelda to play
Ripppp (;¬_¬)

I never buy new consoles because I have two idiotic relatives who buy new consoles only to play them for a couple of weeks until they forget about them. I got to play Zelda on the Switch, so hard luck for you LOL. Zelda was fun, but I didn't like the performance (the 30fps lock). My dumb friend got me hooked to OW again when I started watching him (and laughing at him) playing Overwatch. I knew he would pick Hanzo if he ever got a gaming PC and played OW, so he actually gets one months later and picks Hanzo. Now hates that character with a passion (partially because of me).

Nope. I think >10k for Competitive is good and >6k for QP.

Having high average healing can be misleading, though, because mistakes made in the early game can lead to longer games that will give you naturally higher average healing.

I mean, if you play extremely well and full-hold a point, your average healing is going to be less than if you accidentally died and had to play a much longer game, right?

I think checking the average healing per life on Oversumo (or dividing average healing by average deaths on Overbuff) is more useful than overall average healing. Mine is 1.7k in QP and 3k in Comp.

Well that gives a better perspective into it, if I calculate my average like that I get 1.8k, not too shabby I guess.

Thanks for the input.

Jellie

But at least you can shoot back, right? I haven't played her yet but does the gun do decent damage?
Does better than rein yeah. 144dps I think.
Match ups don't work like this you know :p
Rein basically has all of the same problems except he has more limited range and no CC outside of ult. He's still weak to dive, ye, but you can mitigate that with a well rounded comp. Like, you can pick Zarya to go with Rein or Orisa and a lot of those problems are softened.

The fact in the instance of a dive she can still hit shift and deal ranged damage means she at least has a threatening presence. Add in an Ana/Zarya combo with appropriate DPS behind her and it'll work. We already know this from experience because the same thing goes on with Rein.

I'm starting to think eventually things will develop where Rein won't work against dive too. We're already seeing it happening. I'm not sure what the answer to that is going to be on defense. First team to figure that out post-trip tank is gonna win a tournament.

I wasn't saying she was as bad as rein. She is still weak to dive though.

I'd post some questionable art of Zarya being especially large but this isn't the weird fanart thread.

sort-of-want-face.jpg

Yup, 1.8k is pretty good. Nice job.

Thanks, still need lots of working with my positioning, a lot of my deaths are from teammates doing stupid things like diving or overextending and ofc me following through, which usually ends in both of us getting killed.

DevilDog

It affected every league. Platinum was overcrowded in S2, so they pushed people out in both directions. It's easier to climb to the higher ranks, but also easier to drop to the lower ones, where in Season 2 it tried as hard as it could to keep you in Platinum.

S2 Diamond is pretty much S3/4 Master. In S2, there wasn't even a difference between GM and Top 500, because the minimum SR for Top500 was <4000. Now it's like ~4300.

I would like to see distributions like league of legends
here

This makes more sense. Right now gold/platinum/master are weird.

I would like for them to introduce tiers as well. Csgo style. Bronze 1=500, 2=600 etc.

So I thought that my PC couldn't run OW because the site "Can you run it" said so (didn't meet the minimum requirements in the video/graphics card), but I'm looking at some other forums posts and there's people playing it with the same card I have.

It's a NVIDIA® GeForce® 930M 2GB DDR3 VRAM.

I have no idea what any of this means lol

It's a laptop (this one), the screen is not 1080p and the processor seems to be ok (Intel® Core™ i5 6200U @ 2.30 GHz).

Do you guys think I could run the game in an acceptable way (60fps at 1366x768)?

KiraFA37

So I thought that my PC couldn't run OW because the site "Can you run it" said so (didn't meet the minimum requirements in the video/graphics card), but I'm looking at some other forums posts and there's people playing it with the same card I have.

It's a laptop (this one), the screen is not 1080p and the processor seems to be ok (Intel® Core™ i5 6200U @ 2.30 GHz).

Do you guys think I could run the game in an acceptable way (60fps at 1366x768)?

Not so sure about 60fps but I also didn't watch the entire video. I think you'll be able to run it be it very low settings. A 930m is low end.

PatjuhR

Got a new biggest frustration!

Everybody stealing each others heroes after a very good first round so we miserably fail the second round.

Nice!

It's a laptop (this one), the screen is not 1080p and the processor seems to be ok (Intel® Core&#8482; i5 6200U @ 2.30 GHz).

Yeah I think so. Here is someone with a 930M playing OW on 1080p (obviously not 60fps):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzNSZw4pNo

Note: His CPU is faster than yours by 14%.

You can probably run it at 60fps with most settings. If you want cheap Antialiasing, I suggest FXAA (you can driver-force it via control panel or Nvidia inspector).

Edit: Someone posted the same link LOL.

Not so sure about 60fps but I also didn't watch the entire video. I think you'll be able to run it be it very low settings. A 930m is low end.

Yeah I think so. Here is someone with a 930M playing OW on 1080p (obviously not 60fps):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzNSZw4pNo

Note: His CPU is faster than yours by 14%.

You can probably run it at 60fps with most settings. If you want cheap Antialiasing, I suggest FXAA (you can driver-force it via control panel or Nvidia inspector).

Thank you both.

Since my resolution is inferior to 1080p do I gain something in terms of having more processing power for higher fps, or it's not related?

But even at 30fps I might buy it so I can start learning to play FPS on PC. Hopefully Blizz can do a promo soon, 60€ is too much for a double dip in these conditions.

My gf really likes to play with me but we can't queue comp and if a QP game gets tons of high level players in it things get too intense for her to keep up :<

This happened to me and my wife, and is why we moved over to Mystery Heroes as our default playlist for good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom