• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiraFA37

Thank you both.

Since my resolution is inferior to 1080p do I gain something in terms of having more processing power for higher fps, or it's not related?

But even at 30fps I might buy it so I can start learning to play FPS on PC. Hopefully Blizz can do a promo soon, 60€ is too much for a double dip in these conditions.

Basically more pixels requires more processing power which usually means lowers fps. Resolutions has some of the biggest impact on performance which is why some console games use only 900p because going to 1080p would dip the fps too much. If you intended to play at 720p I think you might be able to reach between 40-60 fps. For comparisons I played with a GTX 650m on my laptop when I got the game and got around 35-60 fps depending on what was happening. Note that I did play at 1920*1080 resolution but with render scale set to 66% which is basically around 720p I estimate and all on low.

DevilDog

I usually don't care if I win or lose, just if I play well.

The rest is out of my control. SR is important for getting fair matches tho, which is why anyone should avoid going on losing streaks.

Basically more pixels requires more processing power which usually means lowers fps. Resolutions has some of the biggest impact on performance which is why some console games use only 900p because going to 1080p would dip the fps too much. If you intended to play at 720p I think you might be able to reach between 40-60 fps. For comparisons I played with a GTX 650m on my laptop when I got the game and got around 35-60 fps depending on what was happening. Note that I did play at 1920*1080 resolution but with render scale set to 66% which is basically around 720p I estimate and all on low.

Thank you for the explanation.

In my case I can't stand variable frame-rates so if I can't lock it at 60fps I will do it at 30fps (I assume there is that option).

To my knowledge this is related to the TVs refresh rate, don't know if the same applies to laptop screens, and if a 45fps framerate is considered better than 30fps in a PC game.

But one thing at a time, I will be able to learn and test this stuff while playing later on. Thank you for your time.

Jellie

In my case I can't stand variable frame-rates so if I can't lock it at 60fps I will do it at 30fps (I assume there is that option).

To my knowledge this is related to the TVs refresh rate, don't know if the same applies to laptop screens, and if a 45fps framerate is considered better than 30fps in a PC game.

But one thing at a time, I will be able to learn and test this stuff while playing later on. Thank you for your time.

Do it so you can join us on pc and leave Lik.
So he has to come pc too.

MCree and Hanzo headshot custom games are hilarious. Everyone is jumping around and shooting but barely anyone dies LOL.

I advise you against locking the framerate to 30fps. Remember that you are playing a shooter on PC; you will get more input lag at 30fps than 40-60fps. Also, if you really need a smooth 30fps experience, you need V-sync which is going to make things much worse in terms of input lag.

Do it so you can join us on pc and leave Lik.
So he has to come pc too.

lol we'll see about that :)

I advise you against locking the framerate to 30fps. Remember that you are playing a shooter on PC; you will get more input lag at 30fps than 40-60fps. Also, if you really need a smooth 30fps experience, you need V-sync which is going to make things much worse in terms of input lag.

Had no idea about this, PC gaming is a mystery to me.

Thx.

komaruR

you can play the at a lower than 100% scale, let say 75%.
think it just means it will be native at a lower res and scale to 1080p to reduce graphic load.
ow really dont need good graphics to play.

you can play the at a lower than 100% scale, let say 75%.
think it just means it will be native at a lower res and scale to 1080p to reduce graphic load.
ow really dont need good graphics to play.

Yeah I think I'm going to be fine with low settings. Just want a stable performance.

We keep losing people :(

No way bro, my main will always be PS4 while the userbase is still strong and also to play with you guys. But assuming the game will live longer on PC I want to start practicing for the distant future when I get a better PC.

Doubt there's going to be another online game that captivates my attention, OW was the first and only until now.

komaruR

Yeah I think I'm going to be fine with low settings. Just want a stable performance.

No way bro, my main will always be PS4 while the userbase is still strong and also to play with you guys. But assuming the game will live longer on PC I want to start practicing for the distant future when I get a better PC.

Doubt there's going to be another online game that captivates my attention, OW was the first and only until now.

you'll said that until you get a good pc and blow your mind. the darkside is strong! could you handle the temptation!

Jellie

I said the exact same thing. You can't go back to ps4 once you try pc. It feels so slow.

RemiLP

Doubt that I'm going to have fun playing against other people, on console I feel like I'm good mechanically while on PC I'm going to be trash. But I think I can still have fun in the practice range and against AI.

There are so many characters that you dont really need to be good mechanically to play well in OW.

I usually don't care if I win or lose, just if I play well.

The rest is out of my control. SR is important for getting fair matches tho, which is why anyone should avoid going on losing streaks.
Yeah, I'm the same. Whether the end says victory or defeat, as long as I come out of it feeling like the match was well played I don't really care. Likewise even wins from shitty circumstances for the opposing team are just an unsatisfying waste of time for me, I just want good matches.

komaruR

These shitty team comps. My fucking done with this game!

t3evzz4gbm7gql9u3x2t.gif

Jellie

Doubt that I'm going to have fun playing against other people, on console I feel like I'm good mechanically while on PC I'm going to be trash. But I think I can still have fun in the practice range and against AI.

Congrats! :)
It'll take like a week or two to adjust then after that you'll be fine.

maomaoIYP

Platinumed Horizon a few days ago, gonna do placement this weekend. Horizon is great but there's really nothing much to do except photo mode once you've gotten the plat, and my interest in it just nosedived because the photo mode is unfortunately limited in a sense.

antitrop

Well that's a first, I got killed by the dragonstrike arrow

Getting killed by any Hanzo arrow that isn't just a regular primary fire is super hilarious to me, for some reason. Especially if it's a scatter that kills someone before it actually scatters.

Shredderi

Gotta say that my disdain for defending on assaults/payload maps has gotten to the point where I just surf matches until I land on an attack map. Everytime I see "Defense" I go all "bleuuaaaggghh" and exit the game and go back to the que. I just fucking hate defending. It's so high stress and high stakes compared to attacking. In attacking I can try stuff out and have it fail without it meaning huge disadvantage from us for the rest of the game. In defense I always gotta play optimal comp and one team fight loss means catastrophe.

Nimby

Banned
I pressed Print Screen a little early, but I did it! Climbed 500 points since placements, 82% win rate with Mercy (14-2-1)

naisu

I wanted to make it there last season, but went on a massive losing streak and was back in plat. Now I placed gold this season :|

komaruR

These shitty team comps. My fucking done with this game!

so i skipped S3. ended s2 with 2948. currently placed at 2832.
i thought i did bad since its was 5w5L. guess i wasnt that bad o_O
also atleast we know even if you skip a season the placement will base from the previous last season you done instead of going fresh start.
but sad, the last placement a plat grouped with a silver on a 4stack on my team :(. they went hanzo and nothing threatful

ZangBa

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting to place a bit over a hundred points higher than my season high last season. Was expecting a 200ish point drop like most I heard.

hypernima

Banned

I was thinking of hopping ship to PC soon myself.

So what are some of the maps where certain heroes get much better than usual? Things like Gibraltar where the characters with vertical movement become much stronger - Hanzo, Genji, Pharah, etc - or Eichenwalde where defense heroes shine.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting to place a bit over a hundred points higher than my season high last season. Was expecting a 200ish point drop like most I heard.

Played with a guy who ended at 2600 last season and was placed at 3100, so magic does happen somewhere in the algorithm. I just have no clue how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom