• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

it could mean the system think you dont belong there. need to get you back where you belong!

I'm 170 up from my previous career high, which feels even better.

100 hours of Mercy practice in QP paid off big time, honestly. Playing against Master/GM/Top500-level players in QP forced me to learn good positioning habits and good GA usage, so when I went back to Diamond-level Competitive, the games felt much easier.

I think if I had just kept grinding out games in Diamond, I wouldn't have improved as much as I did in the same time. 100 hours of dodging GM Tracers and Genjis made going into Diamond and trying to do the same thing a breeze.

My main goal was to make Masters, so I guess just kind of hanging around 3750 for the rest of the season and not dropping back into Diamond would be fine. Go for GM next season.

komaruR

pringles-gif-stacking.gif

I dont get it, what is about being in gold and people ignoring mercy.

I continue to get games where i know mercy has her ult and she's going to come in and win the game....and I tell everyone, focus mercy, mercy mercy mercy.

and yet people ignore her and she flys in and rezzes like 4.

yet, I never get that mercy on my team....I always get the mercy who dies before the team does, and doesn't get back in time.

I've literally lost all my games today due to this ONE issue. I try to focus her as Rein, looking for her, But I just don't do enough damage before she "HEROES NEVER DIE"

AbaFadi

Banned

I continue to get games where i know mercy has her ult and she's going to come in and win the game....and I tell everyone, focus mercy, mercy mercy mercy.

yet, I never get that mercy on my team....I always get the mercy who dies before the team does, and doesn't get back in time.

I've literally lost all my games today due to this ONE issue. I try to focus her as Rein, looking for her, But I just don't do enough damage before she "HEROES NEVER DIE"

Games in masters and gm have people who forget about Mercy.

I've recently discovered I am pretty good with Sombra, and man is she fun to play.

Can't wait for her buff to go live, even if she will be less "meta" with Bastion being worse.

Jellie

Um whenever. Tuesday is far :((

I just came off lol, 3.3 on the acc I was playing on. Might be back on soon.
Well you got 2 placement accounts and can always play on your ranked one if Tuesday is far. I've only got 4 games left anyway.
Hopefully get to Zarya in all 4 to get those sub 1 min gravs :p

What do you guys think about mains in Overwatch?

I feel liking having mains is a good thing, as long as you have a few of them, and are OK with swapping out. Like, I like playing Zen, Tracer, Symmetra, and Mei most, and I'll hope that all of them won't get picked so that I can play one, but if I can't, or if the map doesn't suit them, I'm fine with playing someone else and trying to pick the most suitable person for the team (although I'm guilty of not doing that when I know I can't play them: if our team needed a Reaper, I'd be hesitant because I can't play him, so I'd be a detriment if I picked him).

However, I don't think people who main a single character, and won't play anyone else and will throw the match if they don't get their choice, are good for the community. If they always play in a full party, and they're the best player of a certain character on that team, and that character is useful on 90% of the maps, then that's fine, but then you get the solo queue guy who trys to insta-lock Genji no matter what mode you're playing, and isn't particularly great at the game.

30 games into the season, I'm still getting it. My last loss was -22 and my last win was +39.

I'm pretty sure that my bonus SR stopped at 25 games after placements (35 games total).

It's still common to win 30-35 SR per victory but I don't think it's bonus SR because sometimes I also get like 20 or so.

If you can say something when you win a game after the 35 without being on a winstreak to see if it's actually like this.

Some of my games in gold were hilarious because of this. A lot of times I was playing Zen and I was chasing the enemy Mercy inside a huge fight where everyone just ignored me. It's like if I'm not shooting them it's ok, they don't bother with me, even if I'm killing their Mercy lol

And Mercys at this level don't use pistol a single time to fight back, it's unbelievable.

What do you guys think about mains in Overwatch?

IMO not good if you want to climb by yourself. People often say to at least be good with one dps/tank/support but even that is not enough.

Counters are so strong in this game that the more characters you know how to play, the better you are prepared in case games aren't going in a favorable way to your team.

That requires a lot of time though, in my case I started playing with different characters when I got bored of playing Tracer, Genji and Pharah every single game. Switched to Lucio and Rein first and then started adding new ones has the time passed.

hypernima

Banned
However, I don't think people who main a single character, and won't play anyone else and will throw the match if they don't get their choice, are good for the community. If they always play in a full party, and they're the best player of a certain character on that team, and that character is useful on 90% of the maps, then that's fine, but then you get the solo queue guy who trys to insta-lock Genji no matter what mode you're playing, and isn't particularly great at the game.

IMO not good if you want to climb by yourself. People often say to at least be good with one dps/tank/support but even that is not enough.

Counters are so strong in this game that the more characters you know how to play, the better you are prepared in case games aren't going in a favorable way to your team.

That requires a lot of time though, in my case I started playing with different characters when I got bored of playing Tracer, Genji and Pharah every single game. Switched to Lucio and Rein first and then started adding new ones has the time passed.

Yeah I meant more like people who only play one particular character and dont switch. Like pure character mains.
I was watching Chro and I get that he gets a lot of flak for never switching but it doesn't really make sense in the sense of a team game to be such a character purist that you don't try to switch ever for certain situations. Entertaining as hell to watch but I can get down with it.

Also I caught up to you Nuno with a few games. Caught shit for using Sym on Illios but I showed them the light in a few matches before I switched to Zarya.

Yeah I meant more like people who only play one particular character and dont switch. Like pure character mains.
I was watching Chro and I get that he gets a lot of flak for never switching but it doesn't really make sense in the sense of a team game to be such a character purist that you don't try to switch ever for certain situations. Entertaining as hell to watch but I can get down with it.

Also I caught up to you Nuno with a few games. Caught shit for using Sym on Illios but I showed them the light in a few matches before I switched to Zarya.

Sym can be so annoying in KOTH when you have the point. She seems to work pretty well there.

I think it's good that people have a variety of heroes they can play, because it feels like in the majority of your matches if you are good with a hero you shouldn't have to change...but it's better than you can offer alternatives to a thorny situation rather than just be "Sorry, bro. Can't play Tank" which causes me to internally scream. So I practice Soldier 76, Zarya etc so if we need to fill a role, I can try and help out.

But equally the way a lot of people don't seem to care about QP can make it tough to practice new heroes at a certain level, because if you're say a solo tank and have 4 dps and one support it's pretty unlikely that'll give you anything approaching a Comp experience.

My goal is to hit Diamond again this Season, but last season I wanted it mainly for the Golden Gun and I got that so this Season i'm more casual about it...also if I finish in Plat I'll only need 93 wins this Season to get another Golden Skin so :/

Edit: I'm getting matched with Diamond a lot in MM so I think OW knows where I belong :p

Nimby

Banned
Oh man. Had some Widow games last night where I was just hitting everything. I usually suck with her, but I was getting insanely lucky.

Sec0nd

I... ummm... Maybe I'm just jealous. But there seem to be quite a few insane widows on PS4 comp. Almost pretty sure they are using mouse and keyboards. Even had one Widow on my team and I could just hear him pressing keys. Or he is crazy pushing his sticks. Maybe I'm imagining it. But with seeing the the kill cams it just seems off.

I'm all for having Widow back as a viable character. She's fun. But if it means it's because of people are using mouse and keyboard, that's just lame.

MKIL65

Aiming from above with a projectile, that doesn't have splash damage (Like Pharah's rockets) can be difficult.

I assume that's why he didn't take high ground. He should have stayed behind cover from mid distance and fired away. That would have worked better than getting close to the enemy Reinhardt's face.

komaruR

Aiming from above with a projectile, that doesn't have splash damage (Like Pharah's rockets) can be difficult.

I assume that's why he didn't take high ground.

i play alot of hanzo, and i agree to that. for hanzo, its much easier to shoot straight than to shoot from above/any vertical movement. the projectile arcing is more lenient for straight shots.
thats why even for me sometime i prefer to shoot on the ground.(forgot to mention, i meant it for console. dunno how its for pc as i dont play hanzo on pc much at all) but boy, when he saw the rein when he climbed up there, my first reaction would be run the f away. if i do want to go for scatter i would try go down and come back up from his back and repeat.

tho i never really use my hanzo in comp play because people just think you're throwing and start doing weird comps.

LiK

i play alot of hanzo, and i agree to that. for hanzo, its much easier to shoot straight than to shoot from above. the projectile arcing is more lenient for straight shots.
thats why even for me sometime i prefer to shoot on the ground. but boy, when he saw the rein when he climbed up there, my first reaction would be run the f away. if i do want to go for scatter i would try go down and come back up from his back and repeat.

tho i never really use my hanzo in comp play because people just think you're throwing and start doing weird comps.

Always play your best heroes. I couldn't care less about people hating my Junk. If we win, we win.

Skii

I dont know if it's been posted but it looks like Blizzard know about the dodgy hit registers with dragon blade thanks to this post (see first comment).

Genji definitely feels like the most inconsistent hero to play because of the dragon blade no reg slashes and the extremely inconsistent wall climb.

I'm also pretty sure that Mercy's guardian angel and Soldier's sprint are some of the main culprits for the no reg slashes. Even though they are clearly in range, for some reason the servers just don't detect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom