• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some characters that you can legitimately take a "main" mentality towards and be fine with and having like, one or two pocket characters you can resort to otherwise.

Until they put a patch out that kicks the crutches from out underneath 'em and resorts in tantrums.

Apathy

What do you guys think about mains in Overwatch?

The game is built around changing heroes depending on the situation. If someone seriously mains one character that makes them a weak teammate. You don't have to be a god at all 23 characters, but at the very least know 1 of each role. I personally can play at least 2 of each role to similar degrees and be comfortable with them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You're not supposed to have a main. If you have a main and the other team picks the counter, you're useless. Otherwise you're no better than instant lock Hanzo or Genji.

You're not supposed to have a main. If you have a main and the other team picks the counter, you're useless. Otherwise you're no better than instant lock Hanzo or Genji.
A main is fine in the sense that you mainly pick them but switch when necessary. It's a one trick never change that is the problem

Watching Sty's Overanalyzed for a Bronze tier match. The Hanzo player's aim is actually pretty good. His team is eh.

This was a great video to watch. It was very interesting to see the bronze match - like the enemy team was completely bronze. Fighting right at the spawn door? Putting the teleporter RIGHT next to the spawn, not even hidden? Holy crap.

Guy playing has great aim, but yeah his sense of positioning was just terrible. Why he kept running into melee range with Hanzo...? If he had a better sense of positioning in his team he'd be a much higher level.

Skii

I've watched that Stylosa video and although the person has decent aim I really don't see it as diamond level like Stylosa is saying lol. Like everyone is just standing still, of course it's easy to hit shots. I don't know why he just assumed everyone in bronze is just shit mechanically.

Jellie

I've watched that Stylosa video and although the person has decent aim I really don't see it as diamond level like Stylosa is saying lol. Like everyone is just standing still, of course it's easy to hit shots. I don't know why he just assumed everyone in bronze is just shit mechanically.

Better aim than me probably. Mine sucks pretty badly. He says diamond level because he is above diamond so thinks its easy to get that anyone decent can get in.

caesar

Banned

Yeh I agree, put me in that match and I'll look a damn god lol

Anne

he is above diamond so thinks its easy to get that anyone decent can get in.

Tbf I see people diamond+ that I could very easily mistake as gold or so with how they miss kills and make horrid decisions. I think it's more of a remnant of the ranking system being squished towards cramming everybody near silver-plat though.

I know somebody posted the LoL ranking distribution, but lemme post it again: http://www.leagueofgraphs.com/rankings/rank-distribution

The bottom two ranks are around 3/4 or so of the player base. That goes all the way to the bottom of their skill ladder. Bronze tier in OW (the entire bottom 1500SR) is only 6% of the playerbase. Then like 80% or so of players are all stuffed into silver-plat.

No offense to Silver-Plat people, but a lot of people in that skill category could easily be put next to a bronze player and I might not tell the difference. It's just their algorithm skews higher than that so it actually requires a bit of effort or a whole lot of solo q bad luck to end up that low.

I'd rather the matchmaking just skew people down to the bottom, and those who care enough to get out will get out and have a rank worth a bit more. Between DQ and this matchmaking it's just kind of a crapshoot when I see a ranking emblem who is good and who isn't. In LoL when I see people's rankings I usually tend to get a pretty decent read on how people are gonna play. Boosted monkeys exist too but it's a lot harder to do there.

caesar

Banned
Tbf I see people diamond+ that I could very easily mistake as gold or so with how they miss kills and make horrid decisions. I think it's more of a remnant of the ranking system being squished towards cramming everybody near silver-plat though.

I know somebody posted the LoL ranking distribution, but lemme post it again: http://www.leagueofgraphs.com/rankings/rank-distribution

The bottom two ranks are around 3/4 or so of the player base. That goes all the way to the bottom of their skill ladder. Bronze tier in OW (the entire bottom 1500SR) is only 6% of the playerbase. Then like 80% or so of players are all stuffed into silver-plat.

No offense to Silver-Plat people, but a lot of people in that skill category could easily be put next to a bronze player and I might not tell the difference. It's just their algorithm skews higher than that so it actually requires a bit of effort or a whole lot of solo q bad luck to end up that low.

I'd rather the matchmaking just skew people down to the bottom, and those who care enough to get out will get out and have a rank worth a bit more. Between DQ and this matchmaking it's just kind of a crapshoot when I see a ranking emblem who is good and who isn't. In LoL when I see people's rankings I usually tend to get a pretty decent read on how people are gonna play. Boosted monkeys exist too but it's a lot harder to do there.

Have you seen bronze players? They literally dont know where they are and they never look up or react to anything.

Anne

Have you seen bronze players? They literally dont know where they are and they never look up or react to anything.

I have. I've watched the vids of what is happening in Bronze. I've seen Diamond players that bad too, just in bronze it happens to put more players of that caliber together :p

Again I don't think everybody is bronze, just they could slam more people into Bronze and Silver so those that actually care to get better will have something more worth their time.

caesar

Banned
I have. I've watched the vids of what is happening in Bronze. I've seen Diamond players that bad too, just in bronze it happens to put more players of that caliber together :p

Again I don't think everybody is bronze, just they could slam more people into Bronze and Silver so those that actually care to get better will have something more worth their time.

Nah, in diamomd you might get someone with bronze tier decision making but they probably make up for it with aim or movement or something. I agree diamond is a weird place though, tons of boosted players. Bronze players are newbies in every aspect.

Bronze - gold difference is pretty negligible though imo.

edgefusion

Damn, I'm solo queuing comp on PS4 and it is nothing but troll picks all day. Symmetra on KoTH with no teleporter or shield gen, aimless Hanzo's and Widowmakers, Mei's that block you off in spawn. My ranking has absolutely plunged.

What is it about Hanzo that attracts so many players? The bow? Dragons? Japanese culture? His good looks? What?!

It's insane how often he's chosen. I wonder if there are character usage stats out there lol.

Gorillaz

Damn, I'm solo queuing comp on PS4 and it is nothing but troll picks all day. Symmetra on KoTH with no teleporter or shield gen, aimless Hanzo's and Widowmakers, Mei's that block you off in spawn. My ranking has absolutely plunged.

you made the classic mistake of playing Overwatch over the weekend my man. Did the same earlier today lost first 2 due to us never grouping up and won the last game and calling it quits now while im ahead.

you will learn friend...you will

Nothing triggers me harder then trying to have simple, fun times in QP with two friends and being put against a mega try hard 5 stack. It's such a waste of time.

rulerk1

What is it about Hanzo that attracts so many players? The bow? Dragons? Japanese culture? His good looks? What?!

It's insane how often he's chosen. I wonder if there are character usage stats out there lol.

feels like every user on console is a Shimada bros main with how often he is picked

antitrop

Nothing triggers me harder then trying to have simple, fun times in QP with two friends and being put against a mega try hard 5 stack. It's such a waste of time.
Ya, it really does suck. There isn't the same kind of attempt at balancing large stacks in QP like there is in Comp.

Shredderi

why is almost every match in QP a stomp? Either I'm absolutely wrecking the other team or they're wrecking my team. It's almost never a gold middle road of good tight back and forth. It's kind of boring and frustrating. Either it feels pointless and you wish it had a surrender option so you could try your luck at another roulette sooner or you're bored out of your mind because of how easy it is.

Anybody that says "I'm an x main" in a serious manner is probably not a great player and is borderline griefing in their matches.

Playing your best character is griefing now?

People who hate on "maining" don't understand that there are certain realities when playing these kinds of games.

Firstly, it is a game meant to be played for pleasure. People aren't obligated to obey whatever etiquette rules the goofy community comes up with. There's nothing in the TOS that says you have to be a good boy/girl flex player and play for the team. Basic human decency stuff like not screaming the N-word at people in voice chat and not being maliciously afk are in there. But everything else is fair game.

Secondly, being a last pick flex is essentially being a Lucio/Rein main. I did a personal experiment in the off season. I didn't pick until the last 10 seconds. Without fail I had to be lucio for 8 of 10. The other two were sad Rectangle man games. Eight games of Punished "Venom" Frog. Pure suffering. This is how the pick process goes in comp. The main guy will pick first if one exists. Then there this bashful period where everyone kind of waits and then someone picks a dps. Then VERY quickly someone will pick an off-tank (roadhog namely) or Ana. Then this awkward game of chicken begins where people start fidgeting over the left overs. Sometimes a guy will pick another off-tank and start a stand off between the other guy who picked an off tank first to see who will swap to rein. Last guy is a Lucio most of the time, or if they want to go full maverick it'll be a zen or even a third dps straight up.

Thirdly, it's just an issue of how much time in the day there is and a person's abilities. If I was a teenager again, where I slept through class and got all A's and essentially had infinite free time I could master every hero. But I'm older and as much as it pains me to admit...SLOWER as well. I use to get kick banned from counter strike source pubs for looking shady as hell flick shotting people with ease. That's not the case anymore. Tracking and projectile prediction are still solid from all those years of experience, but other stuff has faded pretty hard. For instance my Hanzo is far better than my McCree. Some people would say that McCree is more "reliable" and "counters" certain characters better. For some people that may be true. It is not the case with me. There is no amount of time I can put into McCree that will let me compete with some tweenager on adderall. But I can still outplay them with Hanzo and feel my skills growing with that character compared to the wall I've hit with McCree.

For me personally, I started playing Overwatch just playing everything. And then gradually as I wanted to win games I played stuff that I had an impact on. In my case it boiled down to two characters: Soldier 76 and Hanzo. In previous patches Soldier was considered "ok" and McCree( and then later Genji as well) was the star. A very useful character to main since no one really cared that you picked him and you could get him almost every game. Then after his 3 damage buff he turned into the premier dps of Overwatch and became a cherished pick. Actually, getting your hands on him can be pretty difficult because of the aforementioned pick dynamics of matchmaking. Most of my placement matches for this season had a tilted slam pick 76 player for instance.

That leaves one character left for me: Hanzo. Which makes me the infamous Hanzo main. But playing Hanzo means I can contribute the most to the team. It's not that I'm unwilling to play other things. For instance, I hate playing Lucio and Lucio is my second most played character overall. I also had like a 30 percent winrate on Lucio last season and it wasn't from a lack of trying. There are just certain limitations to body, mind, and time that made it turn out the way it did. I didn't choose a main; it chose me.

komaruR

yea, i do find the people in the video weave less.

good thing i finish my placement yesterday. weekend is such bad time for comp. maybe do 6stack for weekend to pit against the other team that will have all the weirdo picks :p

Sorry, I can only see posts from players with 4000SR and above.

I'm actually stuck in gold hell with 2100, feelsbadman.

Dude tell me about it, I guess I'm just getting bad at the game somehow, First 3 seasons I always overed around 2800, Season 4 I place 2400 and now I'm down to 2300...

Anne

Playing your best character is griefing now?

If my entire team has to draft a comp to cater to a character while somebody sticks to that character in even the worst situations, yeah I'd call that griefing. Like, just have secondaries you aren't garbage at and be sensible about switching if you intend to be a "main" player.

Other motivations I don't care about tbh. I don't care if you spent your money and only wanna play your way. If playing your way is making the experience shit for other people, you should be playing something else.

LAM09

Dude tell me about it, I guess I'm just getting bad at the game somehow, First 3 seasons I always overed around 2800, Season 4 I place 2400 and now I'm down to 2300...

This season seems to be the worst. 8/10 people can't counter current Bastion on consoles, so it does get tedious.

komaruR

This season seems to be the worst. 8/10 people can't counter current Bastion on consoles, so it does get tedious.

during my placement and a couple of match after. seems like only if our team got a zen then the enemy bastion could be killable. takes too long to kill unless the enemy's bastion is a noob and not trying to heal up their armors hp

Apathy

If my entire team has to draft a comp to cater to a character while somebody sticks to that character in even the worst situations, yeah I'd call that griefing. Like, just have secondaries you aren't garbage at and be sensible about switching if you intend to be a "main" player.

Other motivations I don't care about tbh. I don't care if you spent your money and only wanna play your way. If playing your way is making the experience shit for other people, you should be playing something else.

watching lass or moonmoon get steevo on their side is the best, because of how one person dictates that the rest of the team now needs to compensate for a sym main.

kirblar

Lucio's design is a problem because he's so absurdly passive yet provides a near-mandatory set of effects (AOE speedboost or heal) that aren't replicated by other heroes.

TheOddOne

animation137sjz.gif

Do play the support sometimes, just to switch it up.

Oh man. Had some Widow games last night where I was just hitting everything. I usually suck with her, but I was getting insanely lucky.

I have that with Hanzo on Mystery Heroes about every third game. Can't miss. The other two times I could shoot straight up in the air and it would miss me coming down. Widow I'm a disaster with always. There's this thing called "aiming" that I'm not great at.

Lucio's design is a problem because he's so absurdly passive yet provides a near-mandatory set of effects (AOE speedboost or heal) that aren't replicated by other heroes.

Why is his uniqueness a problem again, also being absurdly passive entirely depends on the person playing him, his gun deals decent amount of damage and his potential for environmental kills are no joke.

Anybody that says "I'm an x main" in a serious manner is probably not a great player and is borderline griefing in their matches.

Down here in the lower levels the only Mains who are a problem are the scary-assed, 500+ level Torb Mains. They will wreck your shit 1 v 1, and their turrets always seem to be shooting you in the back, no matter where you are on the map. They're a serious menace. Luckily there are only a handful of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom