• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricelord

learning how to play with winston right and i understand why blizz don't want to buff the guy. Down right powerful if played right.

Why is his uniqueness a problem again, also being absurdly passive entirely depends on the person playing him, his gun deals decent amount of damage and his potential for environmental kills are no joke.

hes the only hero that can give other heroes speed boost, his Aoe heals are good but allowing heroes to get in and out of fight fast is amazing.

antitrop

Down here in the lower levels the only Mains who are a problem are the scary-assed, 500+ level Torb Mains. They will wreck your shit 1 v 1, and their turrets always seem to be shooting you in the back, no matter where you are on the map. They're a serious menace. Luckily there are only a handful of them.
That's hilarious

Is everyone in this thread an Overwatch god with 3000+ SR?

Nope, been Silver/Gold every season. But I'm old and have never really learned to aim with console FPS controls. OW is the first FPS shooter I've played since Halo on the original Xbox.

Needless to say I stick to Tanks and Healers.

MKIL65

Just had a comp game with 20 seconds left on the clock on Hanamura objective B.

Enemy unleashed 4 ultimates on us. Graviton surge, death blossom, nano boost and Self-destruct.

Reinhardt had his shield up, so we survived self destruct. And Zenyatta used Transcendence right after, which negated the Nano Death Blossom.

Mei used her ult, and I used Dragonstrike and managed to kill 3 of them. And then we wiped the floor with the rest.

That was like... The most coordinated game ever. Despite us not communicating.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nah, in diamomd you might get someone with bronze tier decision making but they probably make up for it with aim or movement or something. I agree diamond is a weird place though, tons of boosted players. Bronze players are newbies in every aspect.
Diamond is a sham basically.

TheOddOne

Why is his uniqueness a problem again, also being absurdly passive entirely depends on the person playing him, his gun deals decent amount of damage and his potential for environmental kills are no joke.
Yup. Lucio’s kit is very versatile if you actually use it to its full potential, on top of that his mobility gives you a lot of leeway to get in and out of fights. Use his gun to clean up kills or to distance yourself and allies from enemies. Like you said, keep a good eye on the environment and that can net you some easy kills. His ult comes up fast, so keep shooting and harassing the enemy team.

kirblar

Take Reinhardt- they saw he was becoming a must-pick, and so they worked on another Shield tank to work as an altenative for him. (D.VA can also fullfill a similar role in some comps.) Orisa probably won't be the last "shield/anchor" tank released either- you can definitely come up with more tank designs that aren't too close to either of them.

When you start to conceptualize "Lucio alternative", though, things get rough. He's the only AoE healer (the other 3 + Soldier all have to actively work on healing their targets), but it's not a style of healing that has a ton of design space for future heroes. You have to differentiate them via utility, but that'll be rough as there's not a huge amount of space there since there's only so many defensive/utility buttons that you can combine that make up coherent kits.

This isn't a complaint about "Lucio is boring", it's an issue with him being a permalock in competitive play and it being very difficult to address that due to his design.

Gorillaz

Diamond is a sham basically.

I came to the conclusion that diamond is at least 25 percent people who are good but got carried by a friend and don't have the game sense to go higher or lacks the teamwork to do it.

I'm talking steph curry in the finals level of disappearing behind the team and being carried status.

TheOddOne

Take Reinhardt- they saw he was becoming a must-pick, and so they worked on another Shield tank to work as an altenative for him. (D.VA can also fullfill a similar role in some comps.) Orisa probably won't be the last "shield/anchor" tank released either- you can definitely come up with more tank designs that aren't too close to either of them.

When you start to conceptualize "Lucio alternative", though, things get rough. He's the only AoE healer (the other 3 + Soldier all have to actively work on healing their targets), but it's not a style of healing that has a ton of design space for future heroes. You have to differentiate them via utility, but that'll be rough as there's not a huge amount of space there since there's only so many defensive/utility buttons that you can combine that make up coherent kits.

This isn't a complaint about "Lucio is boring", it's an issue with him being a permalock in competitive play and it being very difficult to address that due to his design.
Yeah, I can see the problematic nature of it. I do think they will probably go with another high mobility support hero, but of course give him or her something that can win team fights; they seem to be focused a lot on damage output, like Ana and Orisa’s ults, so I can see another ultimate based around that.

Ah, I see where you are coming from, there is no real alternative choice when it comes to him and his abilities. But knowing blizzard, I rather it stays that way, we will probably get a hero with a burn radius damage to "balance" Lucio before anything else.

Played 3 games last night. Lost the first and went down to 2652, won the second and shot up to 2697, then lost the third and went to 2675. What a ride of emotions.

The first loss wasn't too bad though since most of the team was in game chat and we all tried to mix things up and stay positive.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
About to reach Diamond again and the game matches me against 4 Diamonds and I'm only the diamond on my team with plats that are 2700

xd

I've never hated Bastion so much until today. I was (as usual in the glorious land of low MMR) trying to open things up with Pharah in Eichenwald (taking Bastion/snipers/healers out and wiping their whole team in some occasions). I got Bastion and someone around him to low health, and I hesitated (because of some reasons), so he backs up and suddenly he is at FULL FUCKING HEALTH.

I proceeded to shit on that Bastion and his clever teammates for the rest of the match. I was so fixated on him that I missed up the concussive flank blast into Barrage when we were in front of their last spawn. It was so satisfying.

On a side note, I am finding dive comp/characters to be very effective in solo queue; I learned a lot of things from mainly solo queuing with horrible people most of the time. I am more aware of our team comp and theirs; I not only can counter some of their heroes, but I had some success picking useful heroes all around for my team. However, the thing I am benefiting from recently is focusing on the other team's healers and troublesome heroes/players. I remembering carrying a team so hard with Reinhardt to the point where I was killing their Bastoin+Mercy and even spawn killed them; they wren't really using my shield and healers were under performing. It reminds me of a solo queue game that Seagull played where his team just didn't give a shit about Junkrat who was giving them a lot of trouble until Seagull started hunting him.

I love shutting down the enemy team's important heroes. It is just so satisfying to take out a healer or a tank and then watch their team crumble, or kill an annoying sniper/Pharah who is picking apart your arrogant teammates who won't switch from their waifus or pick the wrong heroes.

Yeah, I can see the problematic nature of it. I do think they will probably go with another high mobility support hero, but of course give him or her something that can win team fights; they seem to be focused a lot on damage output, like Ana and Orisa's ults, so I can see another ultimate based around that.

Make a hero that has a special ability with cool down(Shift or E) that allows wall climbing or Winston jump for one time LOL. Imagine a whole team jumping around a choke point. Another idea is an AOE hero that makes his teammates in radius have a regenerative shield that REPLACES a percentage of their base health plus some mobility buff.

I mentioned training in custom games previously; it helped me tremendously recently. I started practicing aim against six Lucios and joined some headshot only lobbies. Quick play is now training mode for semi-serious matches (not to practice aim or learn a new hero from scratch).

2 man groups are the worst thing in ow ever is what I got from it

I don't need a song to confirm it

One of them must be a pocket healer who ignores the whole team and doesn't give a fuck about Reinhardt with 5HP nearbly him even though his shitty friend is at full health.

DasFool

There seems to be an influx of players that (this is in Diamond):
- Argue before the match starts
- Win the game handily, despite what our team setup may be
- Continue to bitch after a successful victory

Why is this? I can't recall another multiplayer game where people are considerably upset even after winning.

what's wrong henny

A lot of things, but having a mercy throw in the spawn while saying "how does it feel to keep dying" over and over just sent me to a different plane of TRIGGERED I've never felt before.

Gold is so damn frustrating. Loss win loss win loss loss loss win loss loss.

I am in limbo.

A lot of things, but having a mercy throw in the spawn while saying "how does it feel to keep dying" over and over just sent me to a different plane of TRIGGERED I've never felt before.

Gold is so damn frustrating. Loss win loss win loss loss loss win loss loss.

I am in limbo.

At least you can read and understand what they say, unlike what silver players type LOL.

ImBehindYou

Neo Member
Just had a thrower with a diamond emblem in my promo to gold. Checked and he's lost about 1500 SR this season. I really hope he bought the account because who has the time to deliberately throw that many games o_O

I haven't played since end of last season, I log on just now and it says -75℅ XP 10 games remaining.

WTF? I haven't quit anything or even played. Says I'm being penalised for leaving last match early but my last match was a win where I hit Gold at season end.

antitrop

I told you guys 99% of mercy players are toxic and super needy DELETE FROM GAME

I'm not gonna lie, every game I played this season with a Mercy on my team that wasn't me went like shit.

Also had a pretty salty Mercy in a game on Oasis where I was playing Lucio. She spent half the match 100 feet back from the team complaining. If I was playing Mercy and she was playing Lucio, it would have been an easy win, but she was queued with a 3-stack, so I wasn't about to try arguing with her to take it off her.

Well apart from bad mercys today i had 2 good matches before bed now
tJkeD6xh.jpg

Rank #649 Zarya on Overbuff right now.
One day make top 100🤔🤔🤔
https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Newtype-21541/heroes/zarya?mode=competitive

Also mayb its me but Mercy seems to have more impact with rez in qp than comp feels weird.

If my entire team has to draft a comp to cater to a character while somebody sticks to that character in even the worst situations, yeah I'd call that griefing. Like, just have secondaries you aren't garbage at and be sensible about switching if you intend to be a "main" player.

Other motivations I don't care about tbh. I don't care if you spent your money and only wanna play your way. If playing your way is making the experience shit for other people, you should be playing something else.

The situation here is far less clear cut then you think. :T

You have to "cater" to every character in the game in terms of drafting a comp. Not just any particular character. If you are a Rein for instance but your teammates went tracer, genji, zen, lucio, dva with no one taking advantage of your shield. How do you determine who's out of sync here? Are you the one "griefing" because you don't go winston and commit to the dive comp as decided by the majority of the players? Maybe you are the highest mmr in the lobby. Does that mean everyone else is griefing by not playing around your shield? What if you simply disagree that the dive strategy would work? What if you suck at Winston and know that if you go monkey you'll feed relentlessly and snowball the loss? This is why the whole "morality" things of picking and playing characters doesn't make any sense. There's just not a wrong way of doing things because everyone is different in their own way.

Like me for example. My "secondary" is soldier 76 a character that a lot of guys spam to climb the ladder. For that reason he's often not available as an alternative because he's already in the game. If I want to tryhard and win I do have Hanzo which is common in normals but far more rare in competitive mode and so often IS available. The Hanzo pick can cause some...extreme reactions to put it lightly. Now I try to be an easy goin guy. So if I get bullied to being Lucio (and it's always this character) I'm placed in a "ethical" dilemma here. Is knowingly playing Lucio, something I am hot dumpster garbage at, griefing my team because statistically I am very likely to lose? Or is powering through and committing to the Hanzo pick griefing because it upsets people which MAY lead to a loss from the tilt chain reaction, but ensures that I accomplish something with my best character? Or is it the fact that I don't have more "secondaries that I'm not garbage at" that is the moral turpitude? And again I say where in the Terms of Service does it say I have to be a well rounded jack of all trades to play this game?

And how do you even parse "making the experience shit for other people?" If you go ham and own bones you've quite possibly made the experience shit for the enemy team. Or even your own team by carrying them too hard. I had a game where some guy claimed I was doing "nothing" and then after the win it showed I had 78 percent kill participation. He screeched "78 percent of zero is still zero!" Afterwards, he dropped a homophobic slur and dc'd. The experience must have been shit for this internet stranger I haven't seen again. But what am I suppose to do about that?

Terrible spiral in the thread. every weekend comp brings out the worst in us. :(

This applies to a lot of stuff actually. For example, when you drive back from college/work, the "bronze" players' real-life equivalents appear in the streets; they drive like shit. Those bronze people also crowd every popular places like cafes, cinemas and similar places.

Holidays are the real shit. The weird aliens/mass effect reapers appear out of nowhere and cause havoc everywhere.

Work days are the best when kids won't get their hands on their consoles/PCs until weekends and holidays. That is when I play online games, and instead I play SP games on weekends or just go out.

Well apart from bad mercys today i had 2 good matches before bed now

Rank #649 Zarya on Overbuff right now.
One day make top 100������
https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Newtype-21541/heroes/zarya?mode=competitive

Also mayb its me but Mercy seems to have more impact with rez in qp than comp feels weird.

From my experience in QP, when there is less coordinated ult stacking and communication, Mercy rez is really dangerous, especially when a team relies on a one or two ult push. They also don't try to take out Mercy in the first place.

antitrop

I disagree just purely on the basis that people actually use their mics in Comp. It's easier to coordinate around the rez in Comp.

In QP, I'll just use the Ult Ready hotkey, but in Comp I'll actually tell someone when I'm rezzing them in voice, to prevent those situations where they aren't ready for it and just die AFK right after they rez.

Finally got something going this season. 4-0 tonight and into the dizzy heights of the 2700s.

Who are the PC players who sit in and around Diamond? I probably need to not solo queue as much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What is it about Hanzo that attracts so many players? The bow? Dragons? Japanese culture? His good looks? What?!

It's insane how often he's chosen. I wonder if there are character usage stats out there lol.

For a new player, he has the most stylish, beautiful ultimate in the game. Nothing looks as cool as it which goes a long way.

Vitanimus

I'm not gonna lie, every game I played this season with a Mercy on my team that wasn't me went like shit.

Also had a pretty salty Mercy in a game on Oasis where I was playing Lucio. She spent half the match 100 feet back from the team complaining. If I was playing Mercy and she was playing Lucio, it would have been an easy win, but she was queued with a 3-stack, so I wasn't about to try arguing with her to take it off her.

d I'm literally the same, I'm super critical of Mercy players these days. If you're gonna deny me playing the character I do best at, you damn well better put on a show and prove something! Nothing annoys me more when I see a Mercy that rewards arrogance with people that overextend and gives the enemy team an easy 2 pick advantage or something.

Jellie

Finally got something going this season. 4-0 tonight and into the dizzy heights of the 2700s.

Who are the PC players who sit in and around Diamond? I probably need to not solo queue as much.

Me unfortunetly :( stuck in diamond since season 2 watching everyone go past.
EU or NA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom