• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Aku

Dude ive won like 2 games in the last 3 days, playing somewhere around 15 games a day, talk about tilting, this shit drove me out of Dota 2 and now its ruining overwatch for me
Yeah he told me that he's not having fun anymore. I told him, yeah I wouldn't be either if I was tilting so hard. Take a break man. Play something else. I'll be here when you get back. Suck though, cause me and him got the whole Pharmercy and Winston/Zarya strats down tight.

Does this game offer a regular deathmatch mode? Like player vs player?
Yeah it's called winning your 1v1 battle noob!

I'm kidding, there's a 3v3 mode.

Sande

Gotta love the new Your Overwatch video about Roadhog. Total lack of understanding how the secondary fire even works and complaining about difficult ("random") one shots that the Roadhog "didn't even mean to get". It's like complaining about Hanzo getting headshots.

I really like the direction they've taken with Roadhog. Might still need some tweaking but at least he's not as much of a one-dimensional hook machine anymore. I'll take a well aimed secondary fire over the old hook combo (or the new one for that matter) any day of the week.

Vitanimus

I'm gonna need at least a 20 page thesis on why there is a Hanzo/Widow on every game I play. I need a thorough explanation as what makes these 99% awful heroes so alluring to players that waste a slot on a team composition.
rage.gif

It's pretty standard to place around 200 below. You'll get bonus SR to make it easy to climb.

I did season 1 and stuck at 33-35 (almost got out of elo hell that people didn't realize it existed at that time). Skipped season 2, went 7-3 in S3 placement and got in silver 1600SR. In Season 4, I got in three crappy teams in a row in which I had to carry hard in the last two games, so I went 6-4 and got placed in silver 1882 (200 above my previous season rank). Hopefully I will be able to get to gold with the bonus SR; I am preserving those bonus SR points until I find a good group and free time to play. I am honestly content with whatever SR I get as long as I am close to 50% of the playerbase (average) AND I get decent matches.

I could have had better ranking if I didn't give up in Season 1, but it was damn hard not to; I remember getting FIVE fucking points to 38, then elo hell adjusted that to 34 even though I had a 50%+ winning rate (quitters on the other team). Seriously? Do I have to tune it down when I am smashing the other team so that they won't quit and give us 0.15 of a point?

If I remember correctly, DarkatKnight (a Gaf user here) grouped up with me and he got out of the lower end of elo hell. We had a good time together, but I get really high ping when I group up with US Gaf players. Somehow I get 99ms ping when I play on Americas servers, and I even asked some randoms whether they were from the US and they indeed were. It might be the servers connecting me to the west coast servers or asian servers. EU servers are closer to me, but I get higher ping than 'Muricah servers.

Anyways, I ran into good people in comp last season; being positive really helps in all cases regardless. Hopefully I will run into more friendly players and then a group up with them to smash some elo hell fools. I have my mic ready and I am practicing a lot recently. Taking a break from the game really helped fix some issues I wouldn't notice if I was playing frequently, and I look at the game from another prospective.

Sec0nd

Current meta is so much fun. It seems like every character is viable at the moment. Only characters that aren't that good at the moment are Reaper and Hanzo. I'm seeing Sombra, Widow, Winston and even Torbjorn being used effectively at grand master level on PS4. Such dynamic games. I'm even using McCree again which is a lot of fun. Can't wait for the Bastion nerf to set in to make it even more of a level playing field for all kinds of different comps.

komaruR

as someone who has dragged himself soloing comp from 600 at Xmas to gold this season, this is perhaps the single most helpful vid I've seen on how to get better at OW.

There's also opportunity to submit your own for a critique if you want advice improve one's own gameplay

edbrat

There's also opportunity to submit your own for a critique if you want advice improve one's own gameplay

I couldn't take the public humiliation. Minimising deaths where you know you're being an idiot is pretty fundamental but I still keep doing it. Rising through the ranks also takes endless positivity and willingness to flex and grouping with other half decent players you come across for streaks which move the dial.

Psychologically focusing on having good games rather than winning also helps slow the creeping insanity and suppressed rage.

LiK

Sty's OverAnalyzed videos have made me a better player. His knowledge of positioning is what really helps. I've done much better following some of his advice. But yea, even tho he's really nice and fair about it, I don't want my play critiques for a ton of his viewers.

I don't even use a mic so he would probably be screaming that for the whole video anyway XD

Ambient80

Wait, I haven't kept up to date with Xbox recoding clips but is it only 30 seconds? That's really lame.
I think so? Maybe a couple minutes max but not sure I could do an entire game. Maybe I could stream it privately on Twitch and upload it to YT that way.

komaruR

Is there a way to record an entire match on Xbox without just using my phone? Clips are only like 30 seconds I think.
if you don't have a capture card then maybe use the built in stream function and turn on twitch's keep past broadcast function on so that you can have a vod.
hopefully you have good bandwidth to get a less pixelated stream going.
afterward is just telling twitch to export that vod to youtube.

I couldn't take the public humiliation. Minimising deaths where you know you're being an idiot is pretty fundamental but I still keep doing it. Rising through the ranks also takes endless positivity and willingness to flex and grouping with other half decent players you come across for streaks which move the dial.

Psychologically focusing on having good games rather than winning also helps slow the creeping insanity and suppressed rage.
i understand its humiliating. as long you can fix or try to play carefully its good. but there is times when you just get tunnel visioned or got too absorb into the current moment and forgot to fix your way of gameplay and end up doing the same thing again.That happens to me and i'm sure it'll happen to others too. thats when you may want someone to beat to your head to get the cycle going. in the end, its still up to you if you want and outsider to critique you or not. btw skyline does these critique too, not just stylosa.

Jellie

Sty's OverAnalyzed videos have made me a better player. His knowledge of positioning is what really helps. I've done much better following some of his advice. But yea, even tho he's really nice and fair about it, I don't want my play critiques for a ton of his viewers.

I don't even use a mic so he would probably be screaming that for the whole video anyway XD
Maybe submit a Vod to skyline instead. Fewer viewers but far better insight. Doesn't pause to laugh at stupid things you do.

You know when you win on Hollywood Attack in about 3 minutes with Widow as your only DPS and you're like "Wow, there goes my luck for today"...then your next Comp is on Eichenwalde and you start Defense as Symmetra, do pretty well...switch to Pharah to give some DPS to the team on the mid section..

On Attack I go Winston to start, to leap and take out Turrets. Which I do really easily, but Bastsion melts me, but then I went D.va to eat his bullets and we pushed and although it was tense, we won. I've made up almost 90 SR from about 2-3 wins which feels unheard of in previous seasons.

Did all 10 placement matches today.
8 games on eichenwalde wat the holy fuck.
Lost all of them too. Place 400 below s3's final sr.

Dang.

I got 2-8 (W/L) on my placements and at least 5 in a row were on Hanamura (I like the map, but still....) finished about...400ish below S3 final SR. Working my way up though. The SR Placements will eternally perplex me.

Jellie

60% win rate, 30% leaver rate in my placement matches so far

����������

How many have you done?
Everyone getting leavers in their placements makes me feel lucky that so far I've had none on either team.

60% win rate, 30% leaver rate in my placement matches so far

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
After I finally won four games in a row for the first time this season, the next game featured a guy who picked Sombra despite <10 minutes played on her across QP and comp ... and then quit after he died. The worst part was we actually managed to complete (King's Row) with five; we just couldn't take first point in one minute the next time around.

That is the first time a leaver has adversely affected me in a long time, but jfc.

Vitanimus

Feels so bad to lose when one character goes completely uncontested. A Mccree up top on Dorado attack just kept sniping me and Ana and no one would harass him despite continually asking.

gagecube

Banned
Anyone want to group up for comp games later this evening? (CST) I've been doing well solo queuing, placed 1800 sr and climbed to gold 2200, but I've had a streak of fairly uncoordinated teams last night

edit: I'm on PC, battlenet ID is bliggup#11698

If I can make Masters with Mercy, you can do it with Ana.

I saw a Mercy main at GM today with 170 hours in the season already. It scared me.

aY04EfV.png

I really don't want to be an Ana main, but it feels like no one wants to play support and everyone wants to play my mains (Tracer/Genji).
Also, look at all those downward arrows. :/

Vitanimus

placement matches were such a waste of time this season. they seriously should have skipped them and let us get right to it.

You literally basically just played to keep your same SR......for 10 damn games.

I don't mind too much since I barely play any comp. I usually get to plat and call it quits because I'm not too bothered. I'm pretty pleased with a positive net gain since most people apparently lost SR with placement matches this season.

antitrop

placement matches were such a waste of time this season. they seriously should have skipped them and let us get right to it.

You literally basically just played to keep your same SR......for 10 damn games.
StarCraft II only made you do 5 placements on a new account and just 1 at the beginning of each season. Making you do all 10 each season for Overwatch is weird.

So +40SR from 8 wins. Wonder if people with similar wins get similar SR gain/loss.
Need to finish my placements still. Got a good record so far but with 4 games left that can change if I lose them all :(

I won 8 as well and started much lower than my final SR. I did duo with someone lower ranked than me, so that might have affected it. Maybe it takes an average of the skill of opponents or something.

Jellie

I won 8 as well and started much lower than my final SR. I did duo with someone lower ranked than me, so that might have affected it. Maybe it takes an average of the skill of opponents or something.
Welp. How much lower than season high and how much lower was the other person. I did 5 with caeser and 1 solo so far. Caeser was master but decayed to 3000 due to going on holiday. That match was diamonds/plats with some masters. One I did solo was diamonds/masters.

StarCraft II only made you do 5 placements on a new account and just 1 at the beginning of each season. Making you do all 10 each season for Overwatch is weird.

I wouldn't mind it, if it actually had a major impact....but the fact, you can win 8 out of 10 matches and it only gives u like 60 sr jump is ridiculous. you shouldn't be forced to play 10 games just to essentially keep your position from last season.

So +40SR from 8 wins. Wonder if people with similar wins get similar SR gain/loss.
Need to finish my placements still. Got a good record so far but with 4 games left that can change if I lose them all :(

its similar, a friend of mine finished 896 or something like that last season....did his placements and he won 8 out of 10 as well, and he got placed 962 or something like that.

If they had let him get right to it, and he won 8 out of 10, he would have been close to silver.

MKIL65

Just did a 1v1 Mystery Hero match with someone. For 3 wins in a row, he constantly teabagged me.

Then we got to Hitscan/DPS characters, and I won 5 times in a row. He left immediately when match ended.

Hilarious.

Jellie

I wouldn't mind it, if it actually had a major impact....but the fact, you can win 8 out of 10 matches and it only gives u like 60 sr jump is ridiculous. you shouldn't be forced to play 10 games just to essentially keep your position from last season.

its similar, a friend of mine finished 896 or something like that last season....did his placements and he won 8 out of 10 as well, and he got placed 962 or something like that.

If they had let him get right to it, and he won 8 out of 10, he would have been close to silver.
They do it so you climb initially so feels good. You tend to get placed lower than you are but gain more and lose less so they might still be able to get silver quickly.
10 games is way too much every season. It's fine for initial placements but 5 would be enough after.

They do it so you climb initially so feels good. You tend to get placed lower than you are but gain more and lose less so they might still be able to get silver quickly.
10 games is way too much every season. It's fine for initial placements but 5 would be enough after.

if they are going to start you where you are initially, they should just start you where you were before period and let you get right to it. nobody really likes the way placements were done this season, so they should just remove it except for new players, unless they are going to have placements that actually have more of an impact imo.

it's nice that they intend for him to make his climb after those placements "feel good" but he was demotivated after winning 8 out of 10 matches and only being placed 60 sr above what he was, and I haven't seen him log on since. All he sees is the result of kicking ass for 8 out of 10 games is barely any movement and he is like "fuck this game" and moves onto other distractions in life. That's on Blizz. You make someone feel like crap after they do good, without telling them "hey you will feel good after" and they lose the inspiration to play the "after"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom