• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he's not Lucio or Ana.

It's Blizzard's fault for making those two the dominant Supports to such a degree that people get mad at you for picking anything else.

Too many memories flooding back now of some players spamming Lucio on the character select screen over and over during season 2 to dictate your character choice.
Or Rein when I went with a tank that wasn't him.

Obviously I get why (the meta!) but it doesn't stop it from being obnoxious.

I just got countered really hard in quick play lol. I was about to switch immediately, but then I was like nah I have ult. No opportunity to use it lol.

Reading all of your placement match horror stories, I don't understand how I got off so well in comparison. I ended the last season at 3009 SR and after W7-L3 placement matches I ended up at 2950. I won one game and I was back where I was last season.

Lucky? :p

It depends really, but you are lucky if you got perfect matches in the lower to mid tiers.

I got screwed badly in season 1 with four quitters in a row, and two griefers. Season 3 was much better even though I was placed at low MMR at the start. I went 2-8 in season 1, and 7-3 in season 3 (they could have been perfect if it wasn't for some junkrat players). Season 4 was a bit worse but I was placed 200+SR more. And just for reference, I was really really low in season 1 (low 30s in comp points).

Yeah it is simple statistics. There is a possibility that you will run into quitters, griefers and bad players depending on the server, time and your MMR; there is a possibility of it happening to anyone.

4198DBAC2409AEADFC6F8C42AFBD1DF0E0756DFB

Paltheos

Because he don't have burst healing. But in comps that have a lot of squishies (200 hp) characters and few tanks, I would argue Zenyatta is a better pick over the average Ana.

Squishiness isn't the determining factor when I decide between Ana and Zen - It's a composite between need for heavy healing and mobility. Fast-moving, often-not-always-in-LOS characters like Genji and Tracer, esp. when both come on the team, often prompt a Zen pick. The reliable healing is preferable to the chance I could miss or them leaving LOS. Meanwhile, locking in two tanks, even if Winston+Dva, will lock me to Ana. Even a basic 2/2/2 comp will usually have me go Ana though if most of the team's grounded. They're easier to hit and probably more grouped together, providing more opportunities to save the day with the grenade.

Of course, there's also the times the whole comp is completely fucked and you've got Jimmy the Reinhardt and Stewey the Roadhog chilling behind the rectangle while Genji and Tracer are off god knows where, probably dieing sad and alone after maybe getting a pick. Then I just play it by gut and hope for the best, flexing my pick to the map and what other support the fifth player loc- *picks Hanzo*
(j/k - That usually doesn't happen at higher ELO)

Jellie

lol if you didnt show the status screen i woulda thought you're playing with some plat or gold. the whole enemy team was so uncoordinated and that junkrat up on the high ground still lobbing nades when the payload is already past him by a whole lot

Damn. Can't edit it out though :(
You didn't give a number though. It's
We finished that map with 5:10 left and pretty much just walked it to the last check point like the previous one. The enemy team was playing 2-2-2 with Soldier, Genji, Zarya, Dva, Ana and Widow so it wasn't as bad as that comp but they all changed as we got first point on the first push.

FoxSpirit

Too many memories flooding back now of some players spamming Lucio on the character select screen over and over during season 2 to dictate your character choice.
Or Rein when I went with a tank that wasn't him.

Obviously I get why (the meta!) but it doesn't stop it from being obnoxious.
But unless you are at least master meta is not as important as personal skill. And even then, some of the top SoloQ mains on LoL aren't even used in pro because the meta there is different.

Fugu

Guys, please stop picking Mercy on KotH. It is very hard to make her work on those maps; yes, she's better with the invincible res but she still has a hard time keeping herself alive while staying in position to heal her team.

An ineffective Mercy is just about the biggest liability that a team can have.

LiK

So Sty just did a video calling people who play only one hero as "One Trick Ponies". I say that's a better name over Mains.

Damn. Can't edit it out though :(
You didn't give a number though. It's
We finished that map with 5:10 left and pretty much just walked it to the last check point like the previous one. The enemy team was playing 2-2-2 with Soldier, Genji, Zarya, Dva, Ana and Widow so it wasn't as bad as that comp but they all changed as we got first point on the first push.

My plat games look more challenging than that lmao.

So Sty just did a video calling people who play only one hero as "One Trick Ponies". I say that's a better name over Mains.

People should really try to play at least one hero in each role.

I can play all except Defense (Unless you want Junkrat :3) at a decent level.

I have my preferences (Rein, S76, Zarya, Lucio,) but I can make any role work in terms of knowing our win conditions / goals.

LiK

Yea, I dunno how anyone can only play one hero. That's just boring. Hell, I love Junk and will pull him out when things get rough but the game gets stale if you only play one hero.

Vitanimus

There is something extremely satisfying dancing around the map as Mercy with single digits hp and no one being able to quite catch you.
BtQEkCS.gif

Jellie

Man you're strolling through placements whilst I got my shit kicked in.

Guess I wont be queuing with you anymore rip.

That game was actually the closest one I've had. Our team threw on defence and then other team decided to actually try.

Vitanimus

thanks for linking, i like having sombra gameplay to watch while eating

still trying to figure out the best way to use her

i usually use her till i get an ult or two then switch to tracer :lol

d same. I usually watch Codey or something when I eat. In terms of figuring her out, I think once you have a good idea of who your "high value" hack targets are, and getting used to positioning yourself, then you can improve really quick imo!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Guys, please stop picking Mercy on KotH. It is very hard to make her work on those maps; yes, she's better with the invincible res but she still has a hard time keeping herself alive while staying in position to heal her team.

Depends on the team comp too, both yours and theirs. I found Mercy is really good when the other team has Zayra with decent positioning.

Played two comp games today, Win and Draw. Both were pretty hard fought. It seems to be the hardest thing for our DPS to actually look up. Had an instant lock Widow one game that blew, but our Pharah put in work. I feel like if our team has a Widow, then the game team should not be able to roll a Mercy/Pharah Combo with a Hanzo. She is the hardest counter to that. But low and below, they do it. Lucky they never switched over to Zen, because my Zarya Ult + Pharah combo took em down several times each round lucky enough. Zen would have fucked that up.

I feel like I'm improving a bit, specifically with tanks. Surviving a bit longer, going in better, etc. Rein and Zayra both.

Actual sentence I heard in voice chat today:

"Why the FUCK do we have two healers?!"

God, I hate silver tier...

Maybe they're not wrong. When people don't know what they are doing having two healers might actually be worse.

I won two games in KOTH with a full dps team against a legit comp when I was gold rank.

Somehow it works, it's a different game down there lol

Actual sentence I heard in voice chat today:

"Why the FUCK do we have two healers?!"

God, I hate silver tier...

Happens quite a bit in gold games. Ill go ana or zen to heal with Lucio and people will trigger. I don't get it. Doesn't happen as much in plat.

Or the Lucio will switch when I go heals as well. -_-

Happens quite a bit in gold games. Ill go ana or zen to heal with Lucio and people will trigger. I don't get it. Doesn't happen as much in plat.

are you on console? I've NEVER had this happen in gold. rarely in silver. But I'm on PC.

but like 95% of the time, no one ever questions 2 healers. People just bitch when we only have 1 healer and want 2 healers.

I hate these low tier master players who group up with their friends thinking they can show off going hanzo or some shit like chill youre not sick

antitrop

I think I'm 3-0 with Mercy on KOTH this season. There was a Pharmercy on both teams in all 3 matches, though. One of the matches I started as Lucio and switched to Mercy halfway through the first round to help our Pharah, after we realized they had a Pharmercy going. I think the main reason we won that match was because I was better at rotating to my team than the enemy Mercy, who stayed on their Pharah more than I did mine.

But yeah, she's really not for KOTH. I like to run Lucio/Zen or Lucio/Ana.

There was 1 KOTH game this season where I started as Mercy, then switched to Zen halfway through the first round. The team was initially skeptical about running Lucio/Zen, but we full-wiped the enemy team shortly after I switched and then everyone was like "Yes, yes, yes, let's keep the Zen".

LiK

I remember in S2 when Vault and I were duo queue and we ended up with a 4-stack. Those guys were so bad and kept dying with no coordination at all. Vault and I literally carried them by killing the most and capturing the points in KOTH. It was hilarious.

StarVigil

"I love solo queue" - no one ever. I thought plat would be better. It's only slightly better. Still shit tho. Mercy mains on McCree, Junkrats killing themselves over and over all match, people refusing to play rein or literally anything else than their pick, people shitting on your pick but win the game and see your play of the game so you say "that's why".
Amazing stuff.

antitrop

The difference between mains and one-tricks is that one-tricks don't switch, but mains will.

I'm a Mercy main, but I play a good Zen, too, and I'm willing to fill roles even other than support. I've switched from Mercy to Ana in games where my team was convinced it was the only way we could win. I've only played Mercy in half my games this season (14 out of 30).

Now Eevee is a one-trick Mercy. He only plays Mercy and will just leave the game if someone tries to pick it so he can't.

DSPStanky is a one-trick Lucio, but nobody complains about one-trick Lucios or Reins. :p

LiK

The difference between mains and one-tricks is that one-tricks don't switch, but mains will.

I'm a Mercy main, but I play a good Zen, too, and I'm willing to fill roles even other than support. I've switched from Mercy to Ana in games where my team was convinced it was the only way we could win. I've only played Mercy in half my games this season (14 out of 30).

Now Eevee is a one-trick Mercy. He only plays Mercy and will just leave the game if someone tries to pick it so he can't.

DSPStanky is a one-trick Lucio, but nobody complains about one-tricks Lucios or Reins. :p

That's basically the whole point of the video, heh

Skii

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/5z5p9w/overwatch_pit_championship_open_qualifiers_for/

Overwatch Pit Championship gonna be great (starts March 20):

Notable USA Teams:
Rogue
NRG & friends
LG Evil (formerly Hammers)
Renegades
Immortals
FaZe

Notable EU Teams:
Misfits
eUnited (formerly Reunited lol)
Ninjas in Pyjamas
Bench Boys

Wait are Rogue considered a USA team now? I really hate how EU teams are moving to USA and become a USA team rather than remaining an EU team. Envyus are an EU team but everyone considers them USA now.

They took our teams!

antitrop

komaruR

DSPStanky is a one-trick Lucio, but nobody complains about one-trick Lucios or Reins. :p

I can call myself a hanzo main and dont get flame now!

Ho lee shit. I am four points away from ranking up; I've been in a roll recently in comp save for that shitty ToA match.

Speaking of Temple of Anus, why the heck do I keep on getting that horrible map? I just get assault maps; I wish I can get five rounds of KoTH with Pharah; I could have reached 60 kills in three rounds if it wasn't for disconnections (I wonder how much I would get with low ping in five rounds lol).

Okay, I just had an amazing game. Overanalyzed really helped me and encouraged me to play properly; I knew what kind of mistakes I was doing but the series highlights it and points out how subtle changes can affect your match outcomes tremendously. About the game, we got Temple of Anus, so I went with Reinhardt and I outplayed their Reinhardt big time; I stopped all of their pushes and wiped out their team with Zarya ult. Actually, I don't remember dying in the first round when we were defending lol, and we didn't run any gimmicky shit like torb, sym or bastion. Then I switched to Winston and we dived in. I was a bit disappointed at first because I managed to get in the left with some team members, and I ambushed Pharah and Widow. TWO picks and we somehow didn't make it. I was in point and the team probably got pushed back by Symmetra (we wanted to dive right but changed to left when Sym decided to shit on the right path.

Anyway, complete smashing of the other team. They were good, but we outplayed them. I am glad I got into a solid game. Again, I wish I was playing a bit higher in the ranks while using mic. My only Mic experience was with my cousin, who sucks ass (he is new and I was coaching him).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom