• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah, that's McCree

Overwatch is not an Arena shooter, first off. We wouldn't have classes at all if that was the case. Second, that's the thing you find egregious here? Not the guy who throws out a hook and oneshots tanks, the tank that right clicks and deletes ultimates from the game or a guy whose ultimate is a literal aimbot?

Overwatch is TF2's "spiritual successor" done in the the tit for tat way that valve made Dota 2 a shady legal sequel to the D.O.T.A. mod for a Blizzard game.

TF2 is an arena shooter. The classes don't change that, if anything they emphasize that fact. Team Fortress is rooted in Quake with the classes being crafted from and expanded on the various quake weapons. The sniper is like the railgun, the soldier is the rocket launcher, the scout the shotgun, the pyro a remixed lightning gun etc.

OW right now has a weird identity crisis where it can't decide where it falls on the moba vs. arena fps spectrum. I would argue that if it wants to grow it should focus on the latter rather than the former.

NeoRaider

They should add some skins regularly imo. Not just those event skins because they are becoming kinda boring and predictable.

Just like Rein got 2 great skins with map release for no reason they should also give some new skins to other heroes. It sucks getting skins for events only and most of them are pretty meh imo.

Running Sym and Ana solo heals on Hanamura defense. Rein switches to Genji before the round starts and says, "Fuck you guys, not playing Rein with one healer". Tell him a solo healer in this situation is fine and he switches to Hanzo and then proceeds to throw even harder....

i'd watch u but ur in eu.
TF2 is an arena shooter. The classes don't change that, if anything they emphasize that fact. Team Fortress is rooted in Quake with the classes being crafted from and expanded on the various quake weapons. The sniper is like the railgun, the soldier is the rocket launcher, the scout the shotgun, the pyro a remixed lightning gun etc.
i guess i know why nobody responds to you now because you legit don't know what you're talking about at all.

i'd watch u but ur in eu.
i guess i know why nobody responds to you now because you legit don't know what you're talking about at all.

Gaf is a big forum with lots of people talking. People being responded to or not communicating their ideas doesn't mean that much. I don't take it personally.

You can look it up yourself. Team fortress started out as a Quake mode in 1996. Quake is the grand daddy of the arena style of fps. These kinds of games obey certain conventions for their balance.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Widowmaker AND Hanzo on my team

and we g et killed by a Bastion

I think you should have to fill out paperwork with proof of your ability to play the role before you can choose Hanzo or Widowmaker.

Sane_Man

Why do people fucking leave in a comp game all the God damn time?! We were easily winning until then as well! This shit does not even out at all. I'm so tilted right now.

Went Loss/Win/Loss/Loss today and bailed after the two losses in a row. My only win was on Lijiang Tower and I actually got a POTG as Lucio. Felt so good after that win but was then paired up with teams that just couldn't hold a defense or break through a first hold. Ugh. I've fallen from 2814 to 2717. Why can't I get a win streak right now?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm pretty good at changing my hero to better assist a comp but I have ZERO idea of what to do with Widow AND Hanzo. The only thing I can think of is to play another DPS to just try to outfrag the enemy

Gaf is a big forum with lots of people talking. People being responded to or not communicating their ideas doesn't mean that much. I don't take it personally.

You can look it up yourself. Team fortress started out as a Quake mode in 1996. Quake is the grand daddy of the arena style of fps. These kinds of games obey certain conventions for their balance.
While being built on the foundation of Quake, TF in any of its incarnations is not an arena shooter. It's a class based game that's team oriented and focused on objective play. Arena shooters are predicated on equal starts, deathmatching, and map control by way of scavenging for your gear.

caesar

Banned
I'm pretty good at changing my hero to better assist a comp but I have ZERO idea of what to do with Widow AND Hanzo. The only thing I can think of is to play another DPS to just try to outfrag the enemy

Instantly deleting people is what theyre good at.

the problem for hanzo isn't that he can't break rein shield

it's that he's a sniper character which a lot of bad players gravitate towards, hence his awful reputation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Scatter Arrow does work on Rein shields. 450 damage per Scatter.

If you ever watch Seagull play Hanzo, he puts a lot of effort into breaking Rein shields.

I'm not playing with Seagull.

Because if you watch Seagull, he would see the Widowmaker on attack and say 'I should play something else'

While being built on the foundation of Quake, TF in any of its incarnations is not an arena shooter. It's a class based game that's team oriented and focused on objective play. Arena shooters are predicated on equal starts, deathmatching, and map control by way of scavenging for your gear.

Those are the win conditions for Quake but they don't wholly define the identity of an arena shooter's mechanics. Battlefield and Day of Defeat are class based shooters that are team oriented and focused on objective play. But it's mechanics are based on the action military genre that includes games like Call of Duty and Counterstrike.

The rocket launcher and it's role in an arena fps's balance doesn't change when turned from a pickup into a class weapon, for example. The difference is the player playing the rocket launcher class uses the characteristics of the weapons to fullfill a role in the team, where a player in a 1 v 1 setting using the rocket launcher pick up, uses it to fulfill a particular task. In Team Fortress the classes collectively together form, Voltron-like, the capabilities of a single Quake character.

So while the style may be different the balance considerations are the same.

Those are the win conditions for Quake but they don't wholly define the identity of an arena shooter's mechanics. Battlefield and Day of Defeat are class based shooters that are team oriented and focused on objective play. But it's mechanics are based on the action military genre that includes games like Call of Duty and Counterstrike.

The rocket launcher and it's role in an arena fps's balance doesn't change when turned from a pickup into a class weapon, for example. The difference is the player playing the rocket launcher class uses the characteristics of the weapons to fullfill a role in the team, where a player in a 1 v 1 setting using the rocket launcher pick up, uses it to fulfill a particular task. In Team Fortress the classes collectively together form, Voltron-like, the capabilities of a single Quake character.

So while the style may be different the balance considerations are the same.
What defines an arena shooter is its ruleset, not necessarily its speed, mobility, or rocket jumping. Half-Life's deathmatch is an arena shooter, Counter-Strike is built upon Half-Life, but Counter-Strike is not an arena shooter. Once you start introducing classes it deviates from the core foundation of the ruleset. I mean, that's my take on it anyway, but maybe it's pointless to get into some nit picky discussion about perceived sub-genres as genres in general are just incredibly arbitrary and who cares I guess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't tilt on WM or Hanzo picks.

I tilt on WM AND Hanzo picks. I care about 3 flankers. I care about me as Rein and Ana are the only two people on the point

Blu(e)

With 2.0 hook he can due to how close she's pulled, but currently not.

Though tbh I think it's super fucked up if that stays possible.

You can do it with the side pull trick which has always been in the game.

You can also right click them, but that's super difficult to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom