• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to gaf hit a career high today after a winstreak, then got 500 credits in my loot box :)

Wonder what would happen if we kept going, I didn't wanna risk solo q.

What defines an arena shooter is its ruleset, not necessarily its speed, mobility, or rocket jumping. Half-Life's deathmatch is an arena shooter, Counter-Strike is built upon Half-Life, but Counter-Strike is not an arena shooter. Once you start introducing classes it deviates from the core foundation of the ruleset. I mean, that's my take on it anyway, but maybe it's pointless to get into some nit picky discussion about perceived sub-genres as genres in general are just incredibly arbitrary and who cares I guess.

Well I don't want to come across as being focused on genre quibbling and I agree with you overall on that front. But I disagree that classes somehow transform everything when you talk about weapon balance. Team Fortress's combat and it's execution follows that of quake. Overwatch is a game similarly filled with wacky weapons like rockets, icicles, grenades and so on. A character like McCree negatively impacts the flow of this style of combat for this particular kind of game. He would fit just fine if this was Day of Defeat 2 and he was the pistoleer class. But in a game where characters can have a lot of z-axis mobility? This was the same issue that Tribes Ascend struggled with a while back. Eventually, hitscan weapons were utterly purged from the game.

So OW Gaf, if your rating has dropped recently I assure you that you don't have it bad. I've had the biggest drops in SR ever recently.

4100-> 3400. A bit disheartening but I never focused on ratings anyway, otherwise I would've stopped playing. I just play it out solo queue and focus on playing well & playing to get better. It will be a challenge to climb out of this one.. haha

Well I don't want to come across as being focused on genre quibbling and I agree with you overall on that front. But I disagree that classes somehow transform everything when you talk about weapon balance. Team Fortress's combat and it's execution follows that of quake. Overwatch is a game similarly filled with wacky weapons like rockets, icicles, grenades and so on. A character like McCree negatively impacts the flow of this style of combat for this particular kind of game. He would fit just fine if this was Day of Defeat 2 and he was the pistoleer class. But in a game where characters can have a lot of z-axis mobility? This was the same issue that Tribes Ascend struggled with a while back. Eventually, hitscan weapons were utterly purged from the game.
Oh yeah, I was interjecting on something separate of the balance discussion. However, TF was always designed around short to mid range engagements with the sniper being an outlier, Quake 2 and 3 have had railguns, and UT has had the shock rifle, sniper rifle, and lightning gun, so strong versatile hitscan weapons have never been out of place there imo.

Skii

Stylosa has done a 15 minute video analysing the PTR philosophy video by Jeff... The video is literally as simple as it can be - how can you analyse it? lol.

Man he's really run out of ideas. No wonder he gets mocked now.

maomaoIYP

Stylosa has done a 15 minute video analysing the PTR philosophy video by Jeff... The video is literally as simple as it can be - how can you analyse it? lol.

He repeats sentences with the same meaning over and over. And throws in lots of filler sentences with no relevance to the topic.

I could've turned that five stack into a six stack and the undefeated streak into a winless streak.

Feelsbadman

Don't worry, there's more than enough time for us to lose together later.

Is it worth it if you play Lucio in one of those games?

You tell me. My Lucio duty is over, now that responsibility is on you, at least until you learn how to find the right door to escape from D.Va's ult :p

In my next box I got wasteland ana and 150 credits, blizzard hath blessed me today

RNGesus is at your side.

Oh yeah, I was interjecting on something separate of the balance discussion. However, TF was always designed around short to mid range engagements with the sniper being an outlier, Quake 2 and 3 have had railguns, and UT has had the shock rifle, sniper rifle, and lightning gun, so strong versatile hitscan weapons have never been out of place there imo.

Railgun is definitely strong but also has strong limitations. It's fire rate is at 1.5 seconds per shot. This is similar to the UT counterparts where the lightning gun is 1.64 seconds per shot.

Hitscan weapons don't have enough drawbacks in Overwatch. You get reliability AND burst damage in one package. What's the point of shooting a slow rocket for 120 damage on a direct hit which is hard to do when you can get dinged instantly in the head for 140 by a pistol that has twice the fire rate? My controversial change is that standard characters shouldn't be able to headshot leaving that for sniper types only. And rebalance them from there.

Railgun is definitely strong but also has strong limitations. It's fire rate is at 1.5 seconds per shot. This is similar to the UT counterparts where the lightning gun is 1.64 seconds per shot.

Hitscan weapons don't have enough drawbacks in Overwatch. You get reliability AND burst damage in one package. What's the point of shooting a slow rocket for 120 damage on a direct hit which is hard to do when you can get dinged instantly in the head for 140 by a pistol that has twice the fire rate? My controversial change is that standard characters shouldn't be able to headshot leaving that for sniper types only. And rebalance them from there.
Headshots do seem out of place in the game to be honest. Very inconsistent, especially with how janky the movement is. Might be too late to make that sweeping change though, but I get the impression that the Overwatch team is just winging it a lot of the time (like when they said the game was designed around no hero limits, then promptly shifted to single heroes because oops I guess not).

Jellie

Gotta pad those videos out. A lot of his videoes are 10-15mins but could easily be 3 minutes. New patch out? Reads patch notes for 15 minutes.

rulerk1

just got backfilled in a match where i as Ana got 3 kills in the short time i was there and got gold. We had a sym putting tp one llios edges and her soldier buddy just standing. both were high plats too. Qp is something man

Skii

He repeats sentences with the same meaning over and over. And throws in lots of filler sentences with no relevance to the topic.

I unsubbed a while ago. He is COMPLETELY out of ideas.

Yeah I've watched entire 20 minute videos of his and not taken a single point away from it. He's just clickbait but is unfortunately a big OW youtuber and is now Blizzard's darling. I'm just glad others like Skyline are out there to actually provide useful content for us.

Prelude.

Slickery best OW youtuber.

I unsubbed a while ago. He is COMPLETELY out of ideas.

39714550cc0isph.jpg

Just played a qp game with a level 200+ soldier who didn't use their abilities once. Didn't use biotic field, didn't use helix rockets and I boosted him as ana while he had his ult up in overtime and he didn't use his ult. I finished the game with silver elims at 2 as Ana. I don't understand.

Just played a qp game with a level 200+ soldier who didn't use their abilities once. Didn't use biotic field, didn't use helix rockets and I boosted him as ana while he had his ult up in overtime and he didn't use his ult. I finished the game with silver elims at 2 as Ana. I don't understand.
This is what bronze looks like. Lol

Flip4k

So weird. Just got randomly dc'ed from my match, tried to rejoin and it would just go into a cycle from entering the pre hero select screen to returning back to the main menu.

My internet was fine as my computer didn't drop signal or anything. Lost the game. Incredibly salty.

Jblanks

Me (Ana): "Soldier, can you focus the Phara please?"
Soldier: "You have a scope, you can do it better"

Reminds me of a game last week where this Pharah was owning us on Kings Row, and not only did we have a soldier but also a McCree; and me as Lucio was saying we need to kill the Pharah and we have 2 dps's to do it; then the McCree says it's a lot harder than it looks, so why don't you try and do it, and I'll heal it's a lot easier.. I just laughed, these kids were like 13 and in a group together.

So OW Gaf, if your rating has dropped recently I assure you that you don't have it bad. I've had the biggest drops in SR ever recently.

4100-> 3400. A bit disheartening but I never focused on ratings anyway, otherwise I would've stopped playing. I just play it out solo queue and focus on playing well & playing to get better. It will be a challenge to climb out of this one.. haha

Your post is helping me :), I was about to post about me taking a break from the game (i still might actually). It's not because my SR is dropping (it's actually probably the most stable SR I've had in all 3 seasons), but because I feel like I've haven't been playing that well. Lately it's like I've been putting way TOO much effort just to tie, or barely edging out the win at the last possible second, but when I lose it's usually in the worst possible fashion... getting shut-the-fuck-out.

I'm not in ELO hell or anything like that... I'm rightfully put where the game says I should be, I don't get lower than 2900 I don't get past 3100... I'm just stuck there. I plateaued at diamond and it sucks because there isn't room for improvement for me. This bothers me because I want to get better at the game, but I know that I just can't (if I was a 1-3 prestige I wouldn't of typed this, but I'm way past that point).

Story of my OW life (it's been like this for weeks):
Gp760Rb.png

Headshots do seem out of place in the game to be honest. Very inconsistent, especially with how janky the movement is. Might be too late to make that sweeping change though, but I get the impression that the Overwatch team is just winging it a lot of the time (like when they said the game was designed around no hero limits, then promptly shifted to single heroes because oops I guess not).

I agree about the winging it part. Characters like Torb show that they wanted an engineer counterpart but didn't realize that these kind of utility characters make more sense in a 12 v 12 pub setting and not in a 6 v 6 setting. They try to hit a lot of checkmarks but didn't think very far ahead.

I'm confident a big rework will happen eventually. Games these days, even juggernaut phenomenons like Overwatch, rely on a steady flow of new content. As Blizzard adds new heroes they'll realize they will have to do things like increasing the time to kill and toning certain aspects of their game down in order to encourage variety.

Heropon

It's nice getting to learn some new characters. Now that I don't care about filling spots in quick play so much I can finally learn some dps characters and I find that I like Tracer quite a bit. My bomb sticking skills aren't good enough but despite that I even got complimented today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom