• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe there is another full event so soon. Winter Wonderland ended this very month.

I wonder what the new game type will be. I don't really know much about the Lunar New Year... ideas for highlight intros?

Looking forward to it, starts on my birthday so maybe the lootboxes will be good to me.

DevilDog

Background menu music is underrated. Anyone know where I can find it? Especially the one that plays in the Hero Select section?

Apathy

I can't believe there is another full event so soon. Winter Wonderland ended this very month.

I wonder what the new game type will be. I don't really know much about the Lunar New Year... ideas for highlight intros?

Looking forward to it, starts on my birthday so maybe the lootboxes will be good to me.

Might be a simple brawl where you can only pick genji, mei, d.va and hazo.

Might be a simple brawl where you can only pick genji, mei, d.va and hazo.

KBNcZ.gif

Paltheos

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The Mei Christmas outfit is great. Shift turns you into a snowman! Like... it's not a top-tier outfit, but it's clearly the best of the bunch and a good outfit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The Mei Christmas outfit is great. Shift turns you into a snowman! Like... it's not a top-tier outfit, but it's clearly the best of the bunch and a good outfit.

People are just mad that a recolor of her original skin + santa hat cost 3k.

antitrop

When Pharah flies away thinking she's smart but she loses the objective in overtime.

The worst Overtime throw I've ever seen in my ridiculous amount of time playing the game has been a solo-contesting Junkrat that jumped off the payload to Rip-Tire. The match ended before he even pulled the cord, and I was flying to him with Rez as Mercy (and spamming that it was ready).

I'm still kind of salty over that game and it's been months, I couldn't believe it. Nothing else I've seen in the game has left me in quite a state of utter shock. Nobody yelled at him, either, the post-game chat was completely silent. I think everyone was in an equal state of shock.

zoukka

It would make it better. Removing it would make it perfect. Anything that one shots in this game can go to hell.

Hook and scatter are still skillshots. You can instakill with boops with Lucio, Dva and Phara too. Reinhardt charge is an instakill to most heroes. Most offensive ults are almost instakills.

ohkay

Hook and scatter are still skillshots. You can instakill with boops with Lucio, Dva and Phara too. Reinhardt charge is an instakill to most heroes. Most offensive ults are almost instakills.
Booping requires positioning near an edge, and Reinhardt charge leaves him vulnerable on a miss (or on a hit too). Hook and scatter have no drawbacks to using

I was expecting Hanzo to get a variant of Genji's ONI skin, or a similar ninja-themed cosmetic, during the HOTS promotional event. I'm kind of hoping Winston gets a Sun Wukong Legendary, as the ball needs to keep on rolling for him.
I think demon Hanzo was meant to be the corresponding skin for him, since he has an oni tattoo on him

darklin0

Banned
Good point. As much as I like Reinhardt & his GLORIOUS skins, the other heroes need some of that love.

I was expecting Hanzo to get a variant of Genji's ONI skin, or a similar ninja-themed cosmetic, during the HOTS promotional event. I'm kind of hoping Winston gets a Sun Wukong Legendary, as the ball needs to keep on rolling for him.

Tengu Mask Hanzo. Get hyped!
Blizzard plz

jviggy43

Im so happy were addressing scatter arrow which is easily the most bullshit thing in the game to me. Idk why its a one hit, at least have it bring you down low so one more arrow would kill you rather than an insta kill that takes no aim at all to use.

B-Dex

The worst Overtime throw I've ever seen in my ridiculous amount of time playing the game has been a solo-contesting Junkrat that jumped off the payload to Rip-Tire. The match ended before he even pulled the cord, and I was flying to him with Rez as Mercy (and spamming that it was ready).

I'm still kind of salty over that game and it's been months, I couldn't believe it. Nothing else I've seen in the game has left me in quite a state of utter shock. Nobody yelled at him, either, the post-game chat was completely silent. I think everyone was in an equal state of shock.

RIP-tire indeed.

xaosslug

osYwbMA.gif

Hanzo is basically Widow on steroids for the noobs.
You barely need any skill or aiming.

and yet, the Hanbozo mains I get grouped w/ are always on the receiving end of the kill feed.
smileyblackfillxkyi0.gif

Scattershot is definitely the ability in the game that I yell "Bullshit!" on most frequently. It's just annoying to go from full health to 0 because of a Hanzo halfway across the map.

Like, if I 1v1 a Hanzo and he scatter arrows the ground in front of me to kill me, that's fine. Annoying, but fine. But when I'm not even engaged with him and suddenly I die despite having full health, that's dumb.

exYle

Hey guys, dunno if any of you read my last Doomfist ability concept, but I changed it up a little. I'll quote the whole thing but you can look at it on reddit as well if you like: https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/5oxgd4/doomfist_concept_revised/

Doomfist

Class: Tank

HP: 600, 300 health and 300 armor

Left-click: Doompunch - a melee attack with a narrow, but longer than normal hitbox that does 60 damage per hit. Punches can be thrown once every second.

Right-click: Rocketfist (cooldown: 7 seconds) - when activated, an arc with a landing point is shown in the UI. When cast with left-click, Doomfist takes 0.5 seconds to start launching himself, then flies through the air at roughly the speed Winston leaps. Press right-click again to cancel deploying Rocketfist - like Reaper's teleport. Enemies that are directly landed on take 100 damage, but Rocketfist otherwise has no AOE damage.

E: Inspirational Aura (cooldown: 5 seconds) - Doomfist activates one of his two auras, which is shown to allies as a translucent orb surrounding him. Inspirational Aura shows up as green. To enemies, the orb is invisible, but Doomfist's armor glows bright green. All of Doomfist's HP is immediately converted to health. All heroes inside the aura (including Doomfist himself) move 50% faster. When speed boosted, the enemy team sees heroes through walls as green dots. Press E again to deactivate the aura, which will trigger the cooldown. Switching auras also triggers the cooldown.

Shift: Protective Aura (cooldown: 5 seconds) - Doomfist activates his other aura, which shows up as yellow. To enemies, Doomfist's armor glows bright yellow. All of Doomfists's remaining HP is immediately converted to armor. All allies within Protective Aura take 50% less damage. The other 50% of the damage dealt to allies is transferred to Doomfist instead. Cooldown is triggered when the aura is deactivated, or switched to Inspirational Aura.

Passive: Harbinger of Doom - As Doomfist's HP lowers, he attacks faster. Every 150 HP lost, Doomfist attacks twice as fast. At 450 HP, Doomfist can punch twice every second. At 300 HP, he can punch four times a second. At 150 HP, he can punch eight times a second.

Q: Doomsunder - Doomfist jumps up and smacks the ground in an AOE around him (slightly bigger than Sombra's EMP), ignoring LOS. Enemies hit take 50 damage and are stunned for 1 second. Enemies deal 30% less damage for 7 seconds.

The radius of the auras is roughly the same as Mercy's beam length. Neither Lucio's speedboost nor Ana's nano-boost stack on top of Doomfist's buffs.

The idea with the variable health is to change Doomfist's roles on the fly. When he is speed boosting his team, Doomfist has 600 health, which we know from Roadhog can be very squishy. When he is protecting his team, Doomfist has 600 armour but he is literally taking damage for every member of his team. So while Doomfist offers very powerful buffs for his team, there are reasonable trade-offs for both. Moreover, Doomfist is a tank that needs to be protected just as much as he protects his team - for example, in Protective Aura the team within his aura has only 600 extra health shared amongst them and Doomfist still takes full damage if attacked directly.

tl;dr: Doomfist is a 600 HP tank. He has a melee attack, a Winston-like jump for mobility, and two auras. One aura provides a 50% speed boost, but makes you visible through walls. The other aura provides 50% damage resistance, but Doomfist soaks up the other 50% of damage. He attacks faster when hurt. His ultimate makes the enemy deal less damage.

Veelk

Banned
You can play around Hanzo's scattershot as long as you are aware of his positioning. Sure, he can get you sometimes from a lucky hit and sometimes your in a bad position that you can't do much about, but that's every ability. Combined with the fact that his regular shots aren't all that effective unless he gets a headshots with it, something hard to do consistently, that scattershot is something he needs to be useful.

And even then, people complain about his worthlessness.

Nimby

Banned
His projectile size is ridiculous and he has a OHKO on a short cooldown

Shooting in front of someone takes 0 skill

Hanzo takes way more skill than Widow, who already takes a lot of skill to use. You actually have to lead and arch your arrows while also getting headshots.
Scatter-arrow is inconsistent, based more on luck than anything.

Like, I think I have a very decent McCree or Soldier. They're hitscan, Hanzo is a projectile character. I can hit nothing as Hanzo, unless I scatter arrow them or spam and get lucky. To use Hanzo effectively, you need to have good aim. If his projectile size was lower, that hero would next to useless.

xaosslug

the problem w/ Hanzo is that scatter arrow + his ult make people think they're pro Hanzo players, because they had one-shot'd whoever that one time, and they got 4 kills on an ult that one time... it's absurd. Yes, he's even deadlier is skilled hands, but n00bs can one-shot and team-wipe w/ him, so they feel godly. -__-

i NEVER play him in QP or ranked, but even I can get gold elims in Super Shimada Bros. w/ Hanzo! xD

So, I was in QP cheesing the cars on Oasis city center to try and get the power overwhelming achievement for Zarya because it's basically impossible agree the bubble charge nerf...

And while it's an undoubtedly scumbag move to basically not play a round I still ended up with 4 gold medals at the end somehow? And we lost the 2nd round faster than I could even get the achievement.

So I don't actually feel bad at the end of the day because if my team of 4 dps couldn't manage to out-dps someone who was basically absent that round we don't deserve to win.

Nimby

Banned

Hanzo requires you to:
- lead/arch your shots
- predict enemy movement

Widow just requires you aim at the head, which takes a lot of skill, but Hanzo has more factors impeding him.

I get that they're bullshit, but to say these heroes take no skill is just under-selling them and the people who play them.

scotcheggz

Had a funny as hell game as lucio earlier. On the point at Ilios Lighthouse and their team kept streaming out the left hand side door, one after the other whilst I just chilled next to the wall and continually bopped them over the edge with soundwave. Over and over. Like, it would have been satisying to do it once or twice, but they did it over... and.. over... it got to the point where 3 of my group just stood behind me watching and laughing in the chat. Ridiculous....

NeoRaider

Hanzo takes way more skill than Widow, who already takes a lot of skill to use. You actually have to lead and arch your arrows while also getting headshots.
Scatter-arrow is inconsistent, based more on luck than anything.

Like, I think I have a very decent McCree or Soldier. They're hitscan, Hanzo is a projectile character. I can hit nothing as Hanzo, unless I scatter arrow them or spam and get lucky. To use Hanzo effectively, you need to have good aim. If his projectile size was lower, that hero would next to useless.

Are you serious?? Even arrow + scatter arrow spammers can get 15+ eliminations in one short QP match. Good aim? More skill than Widow?? lololol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom