• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimby

Banned
Are you serious?? Even arrow + scatter arrow spammers can get 15+ eliminations in one short QP match. Good aim? More skill than Widow?? lololol

Yeah. It's QP. I can run around and get 30 elims as Symmetra and people don't care. I've already told people that Sym and her weapon are easily countered too, QP is nothing to base a heroes capability on.

antitrop

Nerf Baby D.Va

4p737mO.gif

Kremzeek

i wish Blizzard would go crazy with something like this for Symmetra for the New Year event (replacing the swords with her gun)

a35c04b44a81a8904467110f5a1616f0.jpg

If Hanzo took no skill then you wouldn't be pissed when the 'noob' on your team picked him. You'd be thrilled.

You also wouldn't say 'ha, the enemy team has a Hanzo' you'd say 'Fuck I can't wait to die instantly every 8 seconds.' And if an enemy Hanzo proceeded to dominate you don't say 'wow this guy takes having no skill to the next level' you say 'wow, this is a really good Hanzo'

The only reason to say that is because you've seen so many bad Hanzo's that this one being good is really amazing. Implying that this person is more skilled with Hanzo than others, which means that Hanzo must take skill.

ohkay

Hanzo requires you to:
- lead/arch your shots
- predict enemy movement

Widow just requires you aim at the head, which takes a lot of skill, but Hanzo has more factors impeding him.

I get that they're bullshit, but to say these heroes take no skill is just under-selling them and the people who play them.
Hanzo has a lot better mobility options and doesn't have to scope, so he has a better view of his surroundings. He can also play effectively at ranges widow can't, has a less effective but non ult wallhack, and has scatter arrow to deal large amounts of burst damage that can hit without precise aim

NeoRaider

If Hanzo took no skill then you wouldn't be pissed when the 'noob' on your team picked him. You'd be thrilled.

You also wouldn't say 'ha, the enemy team has a Hanzo' you'd say 'Fuck I can't wait to die instantly every 8 seconds.' And if an enemy Hanzo proceeded to dominate you don't say 'wow this guy takes having no skill to the next level' you say 'wow, this is a really good Hanzo'

The only reason to say that is because you've seen so many bad Hanzo's that this one being good is really amazing. Implying that this person is more skilled with Hanzo than others, which means that Hanzo must take skill.

I am playing Hanzo (not a lot) and think that you don't need much skill or aiming to be good.
I am not talking about other ppl on my or enemy teams playing Hanzo... etc.

ohkay

I am playing Hanzo (not a lot) and think that you don't need much skill or aiming to be good.
Lol. There's a reason why people consider him a troll pick (hint: it's because he requires good aim)

But those games where you hit 30-40% of your shots feel amazing

Should I get back into Zarya post patch?
Zarya's still really powerful right now.

If I had to guess, the patch will be a little harder on her (more Reapers, more DPS in general that can actually hurt her, less Ana burst healing), but with D.Va and Roadhog in decline, she'll be as played, if not more so, than ever.

NeoRaider

Lol. There's a reason why people consider him a troll pick (hint: it's because he requires good aim)

But those games where you hit 30-40% of your shots feel amazing

Maybe idk. My experience is different. But i am talking about QP.
And i almost never pick him on KOTH maps.

I think that Hanzo is much easier to play and learn than most of the heroes. And can't be compared to Widow. Widow's mobility compared to Hanzo sucks and you need more skill and better aiming. No one can tell me that i am wrong.

Nimby

Banned
Hanzo has a lot better mobility options and doesn't have to scope, so he has a better view of his surroundings. He can also play effectively at ranges widow can't, has a less effective but non ult wallhack, and has scatter arrow to deal large amounts of burst damage that can hit without precise aim

Widow grappling hook is better for escaping, and scoping makes it easier to hit your shots, not the other way around. Widow just has to unscope frequently, I really don't see how that is much of a disadvantage. Hanzo is pretty easy to eliminate if he's up close, and scatter arrow is based on luck at most, and you have to hit the ground precisely at their feet for it to be effective. I'm not saying Widow is no-skill, there's no way that Hanzo isn't around or on the same level as her though. And like you said, he needs good aim to be effective.

You can play around a Hanzo so much. You have to give him as much respect as a Roadhog and Widow. Always assume he has a sonic set up, don't peek without a Rein or bubble. If you're Tracer/Genji, wait for him to scatter or bait it out. OH-K are bullshit, but they take skill.

Anne

There's a reason why only like 3-4 pro plays are making Hanzo strats work lol

Any moron can pick the character and just fire a bunch at lower elo and do fine. Actually being good with the hero is a lot of effort.

I think it's mostly stupid to compare how difficult it is to play heroes in general though :v

Nimby

Banned
i wish Blizzard would go crazy with something like this for Symmetra for the New Year event (replacing the swords with her gun)

a35c04b44a81a8904467110f5a1616f0.jpg

Her and Hanzo should be getting new skins (not Mercy if that leak is legit lol)

I just wonder if they will keep her consistent with the others, or will they some Indian themed outfit for her.

JHall

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of playing against Wraxu. It's not fun; to say Hanzo doesn't take skill is funny. A good Hanzo can dominate a game like no other.

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of playing against Wraxu. It's not fun; to say Hanzo doesn't take skill is funny. A good Hanzo can dominate a game like no other.

I think it's more that there's such a large skill gap that it's more a liability having one on your team than not.

Kind of like Junkrat charging ults for the other team more than he's getting kills.

Also I missed Zarya melting Roadhogs if they try to hook. I need to play her more.

Do we know when the D.Va nerf patch will hit?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
like when dva or soldier 76 is flailing around aiming all over the place and wings you you go 'fuck that guys good' but when an arrow nails you when walking around the corner, you go 'fucking bullshit no skill hero!' ?

Should I get back into Zarya post patch?

I initially stopped using her for a bit but realised that I was still far better with Zarya then other tanks. I still have a 60%+ win rate with her, she's still great even with the rise of Dva and post Dva nerfs she will just be even better. I just hope I can continue to use her with the same ease I've been able to throughout this season lol.

That is quite the jump.

I hear a lot of "GM this season is master last season, master is diamond, diamond is plat." etc

Who the hell is saying that? What a dumb statement to make, people are naturally going to get better as time goes on. What's going to be funny is when some of the top 500 people can't make top 500 anymore because the competition is only going to get more fierce. I love how people hold on to their season history like it has any bearing on the current season. It's like how you tell a Cowboys fan they haven't been relevant Super Bowl contenders for years and they're quick to tell you how many rings they got 20 years ago, as if it had any impact on the here and now.

Who the hell is saying that? What a dumb statement to make, people are naturally going to get better as time goes on. What's going to be funny is when some of the top 500 people can't make top 500 anymore because the competition is only going to get more fierce. I love how people hold on to their season history like it has any bearing on the current season. It's like how you tell a Cowboys fan they haven't been relevant Super Bowl contenders for years and they're quick to tell you how many rings they got 20 years ago, as if it had any impact on the here and now.

Thank you, A friend of mine has been saying this non-stop ever since I made GM this season, saying how season 1&2 was soo much better. It really does get annoying (especially when he himself didn't hit GM yet and only plays like 10 hrs of comp per season).

What is up with people blaming supports when we lose?

Fucking hell, regardless of which support I play I can't save a game when our tank flies forward into 4 enemies, limps away, then just stands around in the back demanding heals while I'm trying desperately to save our immediate replacement tank, Reaper.

Thank you, A friend of mine has been saying this non-stop ever since I made GM this season, saying how season 1&2 was soo much better. It really does get annoying (especially when he himself didn't hit GM yet and only plays like 10 hrs of comp per season).

He's wrong to downplay your achievement, but he's right to say that season 1 and 2 were better.

Blues1990

Fucking hell, regardless of which support I play I can't save a game when our tank flies forward into 4 enemies, limps away, then just stands around in the back demanding heals while I'm trying desperately to save our immediate replacement tank, Reaper.

More than likely, they are either shifting the blame so that they don't acknowledge their own shortcomings, or they don't pay attention to Supports unless they realize they are not receiving healing.

People like to minimize their own mistakes and highlight the shortcomings of others in order to feel good.

Like last night, after getting asked to switch multiple times due to things not working out and us being down 0-2, I eventually picked Symmetra on KotH until our DPS switched to a support and then I took S76 and we brought it back for a 3-2.

But yeah, my games close to Diamond have been full of Diamonds that have fallen down and say it makes no difference if you're in Diamond or Plat, etc.

Nah, those guys are just trying to make themselves feel better.

Still bummed I had such a horrible set of games last night though. I went like 4-7 which erased all progress I made Monday. I have tomorrow off work though, gonna get back there and shoot for Diamond again.

Aaaaaannnd I continue to fall. Down to 2664 after two straight losses earlier to start my day. How can we not capture B on Anubis with 7 minutes? Why would someone pick a character they're "trying to get better with" in comp? Why are there so many bad snipers? Why don't people go double tank? Why can't I hit Diamond?

The Overwatch playerbase probably has the most backseat driving I've ever seen in a game with people fretting about meta and characters with high skill floors due to strong mistrust in others. I've been playing these shooter games for 18 years and I never saw this before.

Hanzo is harder to play than most heroes in the game but in the grand scheme of things he's not THAT hard in comparison to any other fps. The simplest soldier rocket jump rollout in TF2 is far more complicated mechanically than anything you ever have to do in Overwatch, for instance. And yet with thousands of hours in TF2 I never saw anyone go into a screaming fit demanding everyone go heavy because the projectile classes were too hard. You see people get upset about too many snipers and spies but that had to do with their frail 125 hp bodies being poor for point capture rather any skill floor issue.

Hanzo isn't even the most egregious of the "off-meta" heroes. Mercy has a lower winrate than Hanzo and is like 5 times more popular.

https://www.overbuff.com/heroes?mode=competitive

Competitive this season has been an absolute disaster.

Placements favoured players who never played competitive before, ranking them higher then they deserved, messing up the matches, the game thinks that a lvl 28 is equal to a level 255 because "they're on the same rank", half of the matches don't end 6v6 and worse than that, the scoring system doesn't take that in consideration, 4v6?. Meh, still lose 30 points.

And I know this is hard to pull but there should be a report system for teammates that affected, let's say, their reputation. When the first 4 picks are DPS and they stick with them while we're been steamrolled I should allowed to be able to do something rather then know that it's another certain loss.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The Overwatch playerbase probably has the most backseat driving I've ever seen in a game with people fretting about meta and characters with high skill floors due to strong mistrust in others. I've been playing these shooter games for 18 years and I never saw this before.
I've never seen this much screaming either, but I've rarely played anything online for very long.

Is the screaming in overwatch similar to the amount of backseating in a moba, though?

I like playing as Reaper but man I rarely use his teleport, way too much risk involved.

The giant tell and the few seconds of complete vulnerability on both sides of the port make me usually just walk my way up to flanking routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom