• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen this much screaming either, but I've rarely played anything online for very long.

Is the screaming in overwatch similar to the amount of backseating in a moba, though?

I played a fair amount of dota 2 (around 1,500 games or so) and while there were lots of...colorful characters in those games they didn't come up with the severity and the frequency that I've seen in Overwatch. Probably the most bizarre Dota experience I had was when I accidentally made a Juggernaut player on my team cry and his wife yelled at me through his microphone.

Overwatch ragers seem to come out of vat somewhere because they say the same kind of stuff and the same kind of way.

Overwatch rage flowchart basically goes like this

- Blame anything off meta
- Blame DPS
- Where is our tank!?
- No Heals. gg
- Generic Tilt leading into Lovecratian madness.

Sane_Man

Man, I don't know what's happened but I feel like my play has gone downhill so much the last couple of days. Just can't seem to perform well. Feels bad.

I've never seen this much screaming either, but I've rarely played anything online for very long.

Is the screaming in overwatch similar to the amount of backseating in a moba, though?
What I've heard from my time with Overwatch is nothing compared to the things I've heard in Smite and what my friend goes through in LoL. Yeah people can be quite something in this game but I'm much more okay with it since the games are much shorter than a moba.

ohkay

I've honestly only had maybe one or two toxic experiences in overwatch and I've been playing since the console beta

Skii

Hanzo requires you to:
- lead/arch your shots
- predict enemy movement

Widow just requires you aim at the head, which takes a lot of skill, but Hanzo has more factors impeding him.

I get that they're bullshit, but to say these heroes take no skill is just under-selling them and the people who play them.

I do a lot better with Hanzo than with Widow. Hanzo for me is more consistent at landing head shots and just feels mechanically easier. I dunno if that's just because my aim sucks though.

He's wrong to downplay your achievement, but he's right to say that season 1 and 2 were better.

You sir, are factually incorrect with season one. It's the worst season by far it's not even a contest.

Lest we forget:
Sudden death coinflip bs
Gibraltar extra checkpoint which fucked over the defending team
MULTIPLE balance fixes that happened too often (remember useless D.Va, FtH Mcree/McSniper, or Glass cannon Zen?)
No hero limit at the beginning of the season
Ana was released and everyone sucked with her
Skill rating progression was terrible and seemed very random

This is just off the top of my head. S1 was just not good, it was better than quickplay i'll give you that...

You sir, are factually incorrect with season one. It's the worst season by far it's not even a contest.

Lest we forget:
Sudden death coinflip bs
Gibraltar extra checkpoint which fucked over the defending team
MULTIPLE balance fixes that happened too often (remember useless D.Va, FtH Mcree/McSniper, or Glass cannon Zen?)
No hero limit at the beginning of the season
Ana was released and everyone sucked with her
Skill rating progression was terrible and seemed very random

This is just off the top of my head. S1 was just not good, it was better than quickplay i'll give you that...
Coin flip sucked, but meh, draws just feel like you wasted a half hour of your life.

Both teams got to defend on Gibraltar, so not a huge deal.

Tons of meta changes I agree, but all more fun than what we have now.

No Ana sounds great tbh.

It had flaws, and season 2 is definitely the best. But the difference is while that crappy meta was at least fun to play, S3 crappy meta is boring as fuck to play.

Grief.exe

Still bummed I had such a horrible set of games last night though. I went like 4-7 which erased all progress I made Monday. I have tomorrow off work though, gonna get back there and shoot for Diamond again.

I had a day off work last week and solo queue during a weekday is a disaster.

MG310

Probably had my worst night of solo (and small group) comp games last night but i had some more fun microwaving with Symmetra.

I just couldn't get anything done with Zarya or Roadhog. at all.

Season 1 was the worst purely because of Widowmaker and Mcree. The game at that time was nearly unplayable.

I miss Season 2's 2/2/2 setup the most. (Speaking from a Console perspective)

Even if Rein was always one of the tanks. Zarya, Roadhog, and DVa were all good off-tanks.

The DPS slots could be filled by Genji, Tracer, 76, McCree, and Reaper were all viable. Even Hanzo, Junkrat, and Mei would fill these slots from time to time.

While Lucio + Zen was incredibly common. You did see some variation here and there. Especially with the rise of Ana, and when Mercy had crazy fast Ult charge.

Nimby

Banned
Season 1 was the worst purely because of Widowmaker and Mcree. The game at that time was nearly unplayable.

Just imagine if they hadn't removed no hero limits right now.

D.Vawatch, you'd never be able to complete 2CP maps because of endless stalls. Enjoy the game :)

I had a day off work last week and solo queue during a weekday is a disaster.

People say that, but also say the weekend sucks. It's more luck of the draw for me, rarely has a match come down to just my performance alone so I'll have to just grind out those last couple hundred SR.

I mean, I play my heart out each match so maybe I am deciding things more than I think I am but eh.

I also have a 100% comp win rate with Pharah so far after a handful of matches, people can't aim. Just kill Ana first cause she can really mess with you.

TheOddOne

"Hey, what about doing the objective guys!?" /Enemy team has three players guarding the objective at all times.

"Nah, I'm going to go chase this Tracer. Everybody follow me." /Loses match

Overwatch comp in 2017.

Jblanks

I've accepted the fact that I'll never get the DVa or Junkrat 4 man ult ever; not a lot of people go Zarya/Reinhardt in QP and you basically need one to get them. Also people are to aware at my skill level to ever die from them. I've had like 5 or 6 3 man Ults with DVa but never 4..

NeoRaider

I've accepted the fact that I'll never get the DVa or Junkrat 4 man ult ever; not a lot of people go Zarya/Reinhardt in QP and you basically need one to get them. Also people are to aware at my skill level to ever die from them. I've had like 5 or 6 3 man Ults with DVa but never 4..

I had team kill once with D.Va.
#feelsgood :)

Don't forget Genji, everyone mained him when he had that brain dead burst combo and the Ult that just lasted a few seconds too long (did something change with this recently, it just doesn't seem as consistent as it was a few months back). When Zenyatta got the 50 Shield buff and had fast heal/discord (pre-nerf for discord damage), that was rough to deal with..

Just remembered that season 1 started with hero stacking.

So I may be wrong here.

Season 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> though

That's what I said :) Also, losing by Sudden death is the worst feeling in the world. Draw's happen too often now but it's a lot more fair in how things are handled, especially the time bank system on payload maps.

The core meta never changed from now and then. You still have Lucio and Reinhardt as preferred, Soldier is used over McCree/Tracer now, Reaper was pretty much in every match which kept tanks in check, Zen/Mercy as secondary healer (lucio was considered main healer lol!). The only difference now is that Ana allows for the dumb triple tank meta, which is also my least favorite..

Most of the time I play the team comp for both teams is usually the following with extremely limited variation:

DVA, Reinhardt AND Or Zarya(Usually AND), Ana, Lucio, Soldier 76 or Pharah.

If the team is good the tanks will never die and it will lead to a defense/first to capture the point victory 90% of the time.

There's just nothing to counter shielding tanks with competent healers.

NeoRaider

Yea I should've went for them when the game first released tbh.

It's harder to surprise them now with both Ultis.
I feel like D.Va's is still very good, but Rat's tire usually gets destroyed before you can kill anyone.

I had 3 kill with D.Va today, but i am struggling to kill more than 2 ppl with rip-tire now...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Most of the time I play the team comp for both teams is usually the following with extremely limited variation:

DVA, Reinhardt AND Or Zarya(Usually AND), Ana, Lucio, Soldier 76 or Pharah.

If the team is good the tanks will never die and it will lead to a defense/first to capture the point victory 90% of the time.

There's just nothing to counter shielding tanks with competent healers.

Shred rein shield with roadhog, get a hook when shield is down.

Dive with winston/genji.

Go nutty and emp with sombra.

That's not even an ideal lineup honestly.

DevilDog

Shield stacking tank meta, stall teams are pretty much unbreakable because Sombra's kit isn't aggressive enough so they either need to buff Sombra or make a new Hero that does extra damage to shields.

This is nothing. Remember endless stacking with tracers and 2 lucios? Remember Mccre flashbang right click? REMEMBER WIDOWMAKER?

Widowmaker bullied the game for months. The team with the better one won.

Shred rein shield with roadhog, get a hook when shield is down.

Dive with winston/genji.

Go nutty and emp with sombra.

That's not even an ideal lineup honestly.

Zarya shields Rein when his shield goes down

Winston gets put to sleep by Ana or bullied by DVA.

EMP is bad and the team is rarely Co ordinates around it for it to be effective at the moment

Antiwhippy

Zarya shields Rein when his shield goes down

Winston gets put to sleep by Ana or bullied by DVA.

EMP is bad and the team is rarely Co ordinates around it for it to be effective at the moment

Zarya's shield does not last long enough to actually protect the rein for long. Just shred through it and hook them to pick them off.

That's why you focus down ana with winston+genji. Dive comp works as a team, not as individuals.

EMP counters the exact thing you're talking about and yes, on pubs it's unreliable mostly due to the teamwork needed, it's a definitely option.

Zarya's shield does not last long enough to actually protect the rein for long. Just shred through it and hook them to pick them off.

That's why you focus down ana with winston+genji. Dive comp works as a team, not as individuals.

EMP counters the exact thing you're talking about and yes, on pubs it's unreliable mostly due to the teamwork needed, it's a definitely option.

All of these are extremely soft counters in extremely specific circumstances where it's safe to hook after a Zarya bubble, it's safe to dive in as Winston with a better bullying tank in the Meta and it's safe to actually trust your team to assist with an EMP.

Despite this, the tank shield meta still wins out the majority of the time.

Antiwhippy

All of these are extremely soft counters in extremely specific circumstances where it's safe to hook after a Zarya bubble, it's safe to dive in as Winston with a better bullying tank in the Meta and it's safe to actually trust your team to assist with an EMP.

Despite this, the tank shield meta still wins out the majority of the time.

You didn't even put down the proper tank meta comp though. Roadhog is not a soft counter.

Like really, it actually kinda sucks to be reinhardt now because your shield gets fucking shredded with all these roadhogs and s76 on the scene. it's about which team can get the first hook off first to gain advantage before the team fight.

Alucrid

Banned
You didn't even put down the proper tank meta comp though. Roadhog is not a soft counter.

Like really, it actually kinda sucks to be reinhardt now because your shield gets fucking shredded with all these roadhogs and s76 on the scene. it's about which team can get the first hook off first to gain advantage before the team fight.

and dvas. don't forget the dvas

rulerk1

3 wins and 1 draw. Not pressing my luck anymore so im stopping. so close to 30 points to platinum. I might just play Zen exclusively in comp now.

Apathy

I played a fair amount of dota 2 (around 1,500 games or so) and while there were lots of...colorful characters in those games they didn't come up with the severity and the frequency that I've seen in Overwatch. Probably the most bizarre Dota experience I had was when I accidentally made a Juggernaut player on my team cry and his wife yelled at me through his microphone.

Overwatch ragers seem to come out of vat somewhere because they say the same kind of stuff and the same kind of way.

Overwatch rage flowchart basically goes like this

- Blame anything off meta
- Blame DPS
- Where is our tank!?
- No Heals. gg
- Generic Tilt leading into Lovecratian madness.

you forgot "bullshit hook i was in cover" when they were out in the open

-Achieve Season High
-Lose 5 or 6 straight games by no reason
- Struggle 5/4 days to reach your high again
- Victory/Defeat, Victory/Defeat, Victory/Defeat

Repeat ad eternum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom