• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappa

Banned
the cynic in me says they're only doing lunar new year because $$$

A large portion of Blizzard and of course of Overwatchs playerbase is located in Asia.

Winter Wonderland(Xmas etc) and Halloween are really only events "big" in US/Europe/English speaking coutnries/ etc only makes sense theyd do something for our friends in Asia. Im sure its making them a ton of money regardless but I they have to cater to everyone, they cant just do events for americans lol

MikeyB

I dont think theyre muslims Ana and Pharah both have tattoed the eye of Ra and eye of Horus so theyre just Egyptian.
They might be proud Egyptians. I think only fundamentalist muslims take issue with ancient egyptian iconography. But not certain.

the cynic in me says they're only doing lunar new year because $$$
No more so than Christmas. The Canadian Chinese I know have minor celebrations for Christmas, Christian or not. The lunar new year is a major celebration though. The grocery stores in parts of town with a big Chinese population have been decorated for months.

I-hate-u

In regards to Ramadan/Eid event, which will be in the summer, the potential characters to get skins:

Pharah
Ana
Genji (he has a bedouin skin, maybe he has ties to arabs/muslims?)
Mercy (She is stationed in Iraq (Oasis))

Not to mention, maybe one of the next heroes will be from Oasis, so that character might get some love as well.

Cappa

Banned
They might be proud Egyptians. I think only fundamentalist muslims take issue with ancient egyptian iconography. But not certain.
Im not familiar with either religion enough to know for sure... but you could be right.

In regards to Ramadan/Eid event, which will be in the summer, the potential characters to get skins:

Pharah
Ana
Genji (he has a bedouin skin, maybe he has ties to arabs/muslims?)
Mercy (She is stationed in Iraq (Oasis))

Not to mention, maybe one of the next heroes will be from Oasis, so that character might get some love as well.

Doesnt Overwatch lore pretty much shy away from any type of religion talk? Id be surprised if they did any event related to religion probably why they also named it Winter Wonderland instead of actually Christmas event.

Skii

Is Pharah Muslim? Maybe her and Ana can get skins during Ramadan.

There is absolutely no way they'd do anything islamic related for Overwatch. They'd probably lose more players by doing it than anything else. It's sad but it's the truth.

A large portion of Blizzard and of course of Overwatchs playerbase is located in Asia.

Winter Wonderland(Xmas etc) and Halloween are really only events "big" in US/Europe/English speaking coutnries/ etc only makes sense theyd do something for our friends in Asia. Im sure its making them a ton of money regardless but I they have to cater to everyone, they cant just do events for americans lol
oh no, i definitely meant cus of that :p

the only reason they do american events is $$$

what i was meaning was i think the reason why we might not see things like ramadan is if they determine there isn't enough of an audience to warrant it.
There is absolutely no way they'd do anything islamic related for Overwatch. They'd probably lose more players by doing it than anything else. It's sad but it's the truth.
eh, speaking anecdotally but they've already added a map in iraq (!) which dares to present a future for the middle east where it isn't a war torn dust bowl, and ana has a lot of arabic lines.

Apathy

I'm actually not a fan of the journey to the west skins. Something feels weird about them. Oh well, the mei and dva ones will do for me

LiK

They made Tracer lesbian. I don't believe Blizzard cares that much about what the haters think in their community. Diversity is what they want in the game.

I-hate-u

I hope people are not that ignorant.

Maybe they'll be clever with the naming. But in regards to them not shying away from religious events, I even think they might do something with Holi for Symmetra and Zenyatta even if it's just skins.

Blues1990

PS4, you play on PC right?

Yep, I mainly play the PC version. Whippy isn't always online, so I would love to play with more of the community.

I hope people are not that ignorant.

Maybe they'll be clever with the naming. But in regards to them not shying away from religious events, I even think they might do something with Holi for Symmetra and Zenyatta even if it's just skins.

Oasis is set in the Arabian desert of Iraq, and no one seems to be all that bothered about that.

Skii

eh, speaking anecdotally but they've already added a map in iraq (!) which dares to present a future for the middle east where it isn't a war torn dust bowl, and ana has a lot of arabic lines.

I still think there's a key difference between geography and religion.

They made Tracer lesbian. I don't believe Blizzard cares that much about what the haters think in their community. Diversity is what they want in the game.

I'd wager that muslims are a lot more unpopular than lesbians for those people lol.

Blu(e)

Yep, I mainly play the PC version. Whippy isn't always online, so I would love to play with more of the community.

Oasis is set in the Arabian desert of Iraq, and no one seems to be all that bothered about that.
I'm usually online playing but you tend to quit on me without so much as a goodbye. Don't know if it's because we end up losing a lot because it's QP though.

Blues1990

I'm usually online playing but you tend to quit on me without so much as a goodbye. Don't know if it's because we end up losing a lot because it's QP though.

It's because I can get pretty sore with consecutive loses, but I try not to yell at anyone, hence why I bail as often as I do. Sorry about that.

NeoRaider

Zenyatta's Tang Sanzang skin. (Sun Wukong's Buddhism master)
Winston's Sun Wukong skin. (The monkey king)
Roadhog's Zhu Bajie skin. (The pig monster, another apprentice of Tang Sanzang)
Reinhardt's Sha Heshang skin. (The river monster, yet another apprentice of Tang Sanzang)

Why are the same heroes getting skins all the time, while some other have only 1 extra skin?? I don't get it. Zen got skins in last 2 events, this is 3rd, same for Hog, and Rein have them more than enough. Meh

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Blizzard is waiting to get their bank coffers upgraded with a new expansion for when they add a legendary Hanzo and Genji skin
Why are the same heroes getting skins all the time, while some other have only 1 extra skin?? I don't get it. Zen got skins in last 2 events, this is 3rd, same for Hog, and Rein have them more than enough. Meh

I imagine they treat non-event and event skins as two seperate things. Rein hasn't had an Event Legendary yet just an epic that's Legendary-esque

and I honestly think Zenyatta is their favorite design

NeoRaider

Blizzard is waiting to get their bank coffers upgraded with a new expansion for when they add a legendary Hanzo and Genji skin

I imagine they treat non-event and event skins as two seperate things. Rein hasn't had an Event Legendary yet just an epic that's Legendary-esque

and I honestly think Zenyatta is their favorite design

I really don't care if it's Legendary or Epic skin. But it looks like they are forcing same heroes with these skins while some other heroes are left behind all the time.

Owzers

Rein can never get enough skins and he missed Christmas , iffy on this one, the picture is a bit blurry looking, will wait for Tuesday. More Winston skins so people can get discorded and destroyed.

Only a week long event. What if these skins aren't event exclusive? That'd be nice.

That picture just looks like the Torb, Tracer, Lucio, *blanking on the last hero*, that was the background during winter wonderland. Although they definitely all look like legendary skins.

Alucrid

Banned
Only a week long event. What if these skins aren't event exclusive? That'd be nice.

That picture just looks like the Torb, Tracer, Lucio, *blanking on the last hero*, that was the background during winter wonderland. Although they definitely all look like legendary skins.

that date is not the length of the event

Blu(e)

I just think they get more skins because their base designs and shape seem easier to transplant an idea on to them. Like for Zenyatta/Roadhog/Genji/Rein, they don't have much of a face so they can just put whatever they want as a face/headpiece and go to town on the body design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom