• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

IDDQD is like notorious for going way too ham. AFAIK he's not a bad dude but he has a real habit of letting things get away from him and stepping on toes. Just throwing out the gossip I picked up here and there.

The crew at fnatic all seem hella chill(or from my viewpoint they have the personal charm of drywall on stage), he'd be a better fit on a more boisterous roster probably. I guess people don't think about that a lot, but team personality goes a long way.

Meanwhile C9 is busy building yet another meme squad.

Majine

Banned
this might be the faster ult change i have ever gotten.

16237880_1343684405706121_1031034770_n.gif

also nerf symm :p

Omg I have to try this.

exYle

IDDQD is like notorious for going way too ham. AFAIK he's not a bad dude but he has a real habit of letting things get away from him and stepping on toes. Just throwing out the gossip I picked up here and there.

The crew at fnatic all seem hella chill(or from my viewpoint they have the personal charm of drywall on stage), he'd be a better fit on a more boisterous roster probably. I guess people don't think about that a lot, but team personality goes a long way.

Meanwhile C9 is busy building yet another meme squad.

to what are you referring

blizzard needs to do everything short of nerfing Lucio/Rein to the ground to get them out of the meta. sick of them being a basically mandatory pick for the last 7 months.
They've kinda screwed themselves with the unique nature of their movesets. Rein definitely needs some sort of hard counter character to exist, and Lucio will always be valuable so long as he has speed boost.

finalflame

Funny, as I changed my avatar from Zarya, who I main, so I wouldn't get called out for defending her :p I actually almost never play hog.

They've kinda screwed themselves with the unique nature of their movesets. Rein definitely needs some sort of hard counter character to exist, and Lucio will always be valuable so long as he has speed boost.

Yah, just something to at least loosen up those two as mandatory picks would be nice. I think it's long overdue, and hopefully Blizzard figures out a way. I wouldn't mind them being useless for a while with how much they've been picked basically since the game launched.

Apathy

since it's one day till arcade reset, reminding everyone to skip arcade until after tuesday so you can get extra lunar new year boxes (if you want that)

As I said before, some characters should actually have an in game classification of "tank buster", one that does extra damage to characters designated as a tank. Reaper and Pharah for offence and Junk and Torb with his shotgun (not turret). This avoids tanks metas as you actually can say "hey this comp has 4 tanks, ok, let me hop on a tankbuster" and actually make a dent on them even with something as broken as ana grenade

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Widowmaker's 100% charged sniper shot should do double damage to shields or something.

That would make every single fight about snipers. The biggest thing about the shield is to save your allies from getting one shot by Widows. A strong Widow tilts the entire game around Widow and counterpicking Widow at higher levels.

there's a way to stop reinhardt dominance. it starts with bastion being viable and winston's shield not feeling more scarce than his ults. it won't completely erase reinhardt, but it'll help. soldiers in tf2 dominated every competitive match, you're likely going to have certain heroes that are always just key.

i honestly wouldn't be surprised if Doomfist could grab Rein through his barrier or something similar to charge

That would make every single fight about snipers. The biggest thing about the shield is to save your allies from getting one shot by Widows. A strong Widow tilts the entire game around Widow and counterpicking Widow at higher levels.

there's a way to stop reinhardt dominance. it starts with bastion being viable and winston's shield not feeling more scarce than his ults. it won't completely erase reinhardt, but it'll help. soldiers in tf2 dominated every competitive match, you're likely going to have certain heroes that are always just key.

i honestly wouldn't be surprised if Doomfist could grab Rein through his barrier or something similar to charge
Good point.

That said, I'm not against some heroes being more meta than others. I just really don't like what Rein does to the game.

They just need something that is anti-armor the way Sombra is (theoretically) anti-shield, and Ana is anti-heal.

It's time to make D.va obsolete.

finalflame

Good point.

That said, I'm not against some heroes being more meta than others. I just really don't like what Rein does to the game.

Exactly. The whole "shield fights" dynamic has gotten insanely stale, especially with so many maps having extremely constrictive choke points. It's almost as if a lot of the game is currently built around Rein's shield.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I also think you should have to earn the right to use Reinhardt's charge

cause nothing throws a game faster than suicidal reinhardt

finalflame

I also think you should have to earn the right to use Reinhardt's charge

cause nothing throws a game faster than suicidal reinhardt

At the very least a kamikazi charging Reinhardt should try to coordinate to have Zarya bubble + ana grenade + lucio amp/speed.

I think most newer/retarded Rein players just get bored behind the shield and decide, for some reason, that charging into the enemy abyss is a good idea. I don't know how many times I've had to call "Hey Rein, good job overall but chill on the charges dude" over comms to people who think charging is a fucking game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love Lucio but I still think his m1 is a terrible feeling gun and really should have been a shotgun with his vertical control and speed.

finalflame

I love Lucio but I still think his m1 is a terrible feeling gun and really should have been a shotgun with his vertical control and speed.

Eh, I love the "blup blup blup" feeling of his sound blaster. It's pretty good when you get used to timing the projectiles, and boop is life.

cyborg009

Banned
blizzard needs to do everything short of nerfing Lucio/Rein to the ground to get them out of the meta. sick of them being a basically mandatory pick for the last 7 months.

maybe something like healing is based on range of lucio? Someone posted it on blizzards forums it was really popular.

ISOM

I think the problem will alleviate with Rein if they create more tanks that do Rein's job but that may be months or years down the line. I don't know how they will get Lucio out of the meta without completely removing his speedboost.

At the very least a kamikazi charging Reinhardt should try to coordinate to have Zarya bubble + ana grenade + lucio amp/speed.

I think most newer/retarded Rein players just get bored behind the shield and decide, for some reason, that charging into the enemy abyss is a good idea. I don't know how many times I've had to call "Hey Rein, good job overall but chill on the charges dude" over comms to people who think charging is a fucking game.
During my first week of play, I usually decided to charge because my shield was getting low and I didn't know what else to do.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Probably just had one of my funnest games of all time, based purely on the team chatter. There were two different stacks on my team and everyone was just goofy and enthusiastic and just jelled together. The synergy was unreal and I'm gushing, but goddamn. We 4-tanked our offense rounds with Mercy solo healing and Junkrat as our only DPS and it crushed them. When it came time for our 2nd round of defense we were in sync enough to hold the 1st point too.

Blizzard

Banned
Probably just had one of my funnest games of all time, based purely on the team chatter. There were two different stacks on my team and everyone was just goofy and enthusiastic and just jelled together. The synergy was unreal and I'm gushing, but goddamn. We 4-tanked our offense rounds with Mercy solo healing and Junkrat as our only DPS and it crushed them. When it came time for our 2nd round of defense we were in sync enough to hold the 1st point too.
Take a look at the thread title. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
soldier 76 ults beside me and ana
i throw down barrier
ana runs out of the barrier into 76. i dont mean like 'got caught in momentum' i mean she ran directly at him

just qp bruh

Blues1990

As far as Lucio is concerned, AlphaCast had the right idea with how generous the distance his LOS Auras are, along with them not synergizing well with the rest of his tool kit. For example:

AlphaCast said:
To me Lucio's main problem is the way his auras work.

- They are way too big
- They are extremely generous with LoS
- They don't synergize at all with Lucio's wall ride since they're so large.

I feel like Blizzard have been trying to figure out how to nerf him without thinking of nerfing the aura mechanic, but I think the devs should try this :

Lower the power of Lucio's aura the further away you are from him, change the healing and speed values and buff his Sonic Amplifier

For example :
- 100% of aura's power within 5 meters range from Lucio.
- 75% of aura's power within 5 to 15 meters range.
- 50% of aura's power within 15 to 25 meters range.
- 25% of aur's power within 25 to 35 meters range.

Those are exemple values and are probably wrong but you get my point.

(Maybe lower the total size of the aura as well ?)

- It will make positionning with Lucio an actual important skill to have

- It will allow Blizzard to buff him back the way he felt before, most notably buffing his gun and/or heal would help turn him back into the hybrid healer/skirmish he was supposed to be in the first place. (And that we all loved playing in the first place.)

- It will potentially make the wall ride ability more useful. (Buffing Lucio's movement speed while wall riding could also be good).

- It will greatly increase the overall skill cap on this character.

In general, just making this tiny change would, I think, allow Lucio to feel way better and since his range would be so reduced maybe make him less of a dominant pick no matter which map you're playing on since having a Lucio would mean : playing very close to each other to benefit as much as you can from his aura. We know a lot of heroes counter that kind of strategy well (Pharah, Junkrat for example).

Anyway, those are my thoughts after playing a ton of Lucio lately in a competitive environement and talking to a lot of pros from teams including Rogue and Misfits. The general feedback I got from them was similar. Lucio feels kind of bad, and nerfing him like Blizzard is is probably not going to fix the issue we have right now. Those were my thoughts.

Let me know what you think, hoping someone from the dev team reads this !

Cheers everyone,

AlphaCast

Moonkid

Being grouped up with players at least like 400 levels above me in QP, not used to seeing silver/gold borders lol.

edit: Now I'm teamed against them, fuck ): But I also just noticed I preferred one of the players in their team in the past, so it does work haha.

maomaoIYP

So I have a smurf account where I only placed into platinum for S3. My main placed into diamond. Honestly speaking I've enjoyed the matches at platinum level a lot more. There is less of a desperate need to stick to the tank meta, and 2/2/2 still works fine. Also there are more players at that level, and the chance of getting put against full master/GM stacks are almost non-existent.
I gained 200 SR since yesterday, now the smurf is in diamond too. Time to retire the account until S4.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Honestly, you could say the same of Zarya or Roadhog as Rein or Lucio. Maybe not as extreme but not far behind it

the ability to make long range picks/one shots and bringing beefier enemies into your team to be focused. the ability to completely bypass one hit kills and cleanse major debuffs. and those two are the only ones that can do it. zarya is the only one who can cleanse discord or reset freeze

Atuin

So I have a smurf account where I only placed into platinum for S3. My main placed into diamond. Honestly speaking I've enjoyed the matches at platinum level a lot more. There is less of a desperate need to stick to the tank meta, and 2/2/2 still works fine. Also there are more players at that level, and the chance of getting put against full master/GM stacks are almost non-existent.
I gained 200 SR since yesterday, now the smurf is in diamond too. Time to retire the account until S4.

Wait 2-2-2 isn't the tank meta everyone is talking about? In my experience getting 2 tanks and 2 healers is a meta miracle, usually it's just 1 off-healer, 1 tank and 4 genjihanzowidowmccrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom