• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaelan

Mercy could be pretty viable next patch. At least you will be able to use her much more.

Yeah I tried using her and I cant. It puts a big bullseye on my back and everyone goes after me. Yet, for the enemy team nobody ever goes after their mercy. It's so frustrating.

Kysen

Lol I tried to play mercy in comp and immediately got called a troll. If you aren't playing meta people lose their minds and then throw the game. Feels like walking on egg shells.
In the last week every 3rd game is someone tilting and just giving up.

Nimby

Banned
Ana -> tank heavy comps
Mercy -> standard 2/2/2
Zen -> agile, "high octane" comps

Pretty much the way I decide what healer to use. I'm usually stuck on Lucio duty though.

I'm on an 8-game winning streak and 2927. Could I conceivably hit Diamond if I win the next one?

Also, Mercy kinda sucks. The two heroes I'm mostly likely to groan at someone picking are Mercy and Junkrat.

AbaFadi

Banned
Mercy has a nice ult, but that's really about it. Zen has discords and high damage, lucio can heal everyone and has speed boost. Ana does stupid amounts of healing, has nano boost, sleep dart, and does a decent amount of damage per shot. For Mercy to have any usage, the fight has to turn into a 5v6 since she has to hide. A lot of times the rez won't even get everyone, and the enemy team will still win the second fight after rez. Mercy is just never a good choice for healer when you have better alternatives.

Anne

There are certain types of strats where I value the "go stupid" nature of trading with rez and having somebody being mad pocketed. If you do trade correctly rez is stupid hard to deal with.

Right now unfortunately you can't trade with Ana/D.Va/Hog specifically so playing Mercy basically comes down to forcing shitty fights and praying or forcing a pocket through.

The whole metagame atm is really fucked up because when played optimally there isn't any excuse to not pick some variation of Ana + bulk.

2 more days though.

I am a huge advocate for Sombra in general, but if you have <1 hour on her and a winrate in the 30s, please do not pick her in comp. Repeatedly.

I keep getting matched with this guy. :(

Nimby

Banned
So, are they going to move Sombra to the support category? I always thought she should be used like Sym, taking out Lucio and pairing with a Mercy, Ana, or maybe even Zen. I should play her some today. The problem with that being, Sombra doesn't seem very good on defense and she'd take Lucio's place.

On an unrelated note, this:

9L0Afdi.gif

I feel like Pharah is straight up missing another ability, or her concussive blast should do more than just knock people back.
Pharah has actually been super effective in the diamond ranks this season (and I would imagine even better in lower tiers) yes she has two hard counters but it's really hard for a soldier to focus down a healed Pharah if the team doesn't create space for him, and lots of McCrees can't consistently hit their shots. Pharmercy has been responsible for many of my losses this season.

She's is definitely tough to play against great aiming pros, but she definitely is not underpowered.

I finally knocked out my placements, all 10 yesterday in a sitting.

Played only against teams already placed with a 3250 median. Landed in the 2980s. I need a duo buddy that can guarantee my next game is a win.

Only 2 of my games had leavers. 80% without isn't that bad, right?

I need this shitty tornado warning to end and blow over so I can play. I'm not trusting my garbage utility company or my even more garbage Comcast overlord.

I-hate-u

Apparently n the early days in the beta, Pharah's concussive blast used to do massive damage to shields along side the knock-back it possess now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
also lower level comp games just seem to only use voice or chat when they're raging at one another

like zero proper communication and i think anyone playing at gold or platinum or below probably wouldn't be blamed if they turned it off.

Snagret

So, are they going to move Sombra to the support category? I always thought she should be used like Sym, taking out Lucio and pairing with a Mercy, Ana, or maybe even Zen. I should play her some today. The problem with that being, Sombra doesn't seem very good on defense and she'd take Lucio's place.
If anything they should move Sym to Defense and leave the "Support" classification to the heroes that can heal.

On the topic of Mercy, I think she's actually one of the most fun supports to play when you have a team you can rely on. Whipping back and forth across the battlefield is a ton of fun, and not having to worry about aiming means I'm much more focused on everyone's positioning and keeping myself safe. And there's nothing that feels better than using a rez to completely turn the results of a team fight upside down.

It sucks she's so thoroughly outclassed by the other healers now, I end up playing Lucio everytime because there's no contest for who's more useful. I'm finding myself kinda burned out on Lucio. His gun feels kinda bad and they really didn't design these maps with his wall run in mind, there are so many walls in the game that would be perfect for him to run on but they decided to add weird geometry to it like window shutters or a shelf or something that breaks his momentum.

They need to give Mercy a Symmetra-style retooling. Give her a more useful second ability or just have her staff do the damage boost and healing at the same time (that might be kinda op though). She just needs something so I don't feel like I'm gimping my team by not running Lucio/Ana :(

Anne

Best direct counter for Soldier is actually Widow I think. Both the snipers are really good at checking him and McCree.

I would actually love a 'DPS heroes with +75 shields and plus 75 armor' meta.

Ugh pls no ;_;

The less Sym the better, I really don't want my games to be focused on having someone finding a shield generator/teleporter every single time.

Besides characters like Pharah would be useless on attack since you need 3 or 4 direct rockets to actually kill someone until you destroyed the shield generator.

But I guess that if this was the case it would be Sombra's chance to shine. Tracer could also be good but if there's a Torb it's really annoying to play as her.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I would actually love a 'DPS heroes with +75 shields and plus 75 armor' meta.

Torb still sucks and lucio, ana and zen still provide more utility than symm so I don't see that happening.

Plus you're not going to have no tanks. Tanks are still great at negating DPS heroes, as they should be.

Torb still sucks and lucio, ana and zen still provide more utility than symm so I don't see that happening.

Plus you're not going to have no tanks. Tanks are still great at negating DPS heroes, as they should be.
It won't, but it would just be so different that I'd like to see it.

I'm curious to see what the game looks like on Tuesday. Streamers haven't said much except that Dva in trash and Zarya becomes top tier again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder what the most popular golden guns are

has to be Hog, right? probaby followed by rein, genji, zarya and mccree.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It won't, but it would just be so different that I'd like to see it.

I'm curious to see what the game looks like on Tuesday. Streamers haven't said much except that Dva in trash and Zarya becomes top tier again.

Is it confirmed to be tuesday?

I'm actually in kind of a weird holding period right now where I feel too antsy about a big change dropping on us to play the game too seriously. Which wasn't helped by my death cough last week.

At least it gave me an excuse to finish off steins;gate 0.

Is it confirmed to be tuesday?

I'm actually in kind of a weird holding period right now where I feel too antsy about a big change dropping on us to play the game too seriously. Which wasn't helped by my death cough last week.

At least it gave me an excuse to finish off steins;gate 0.

Not confirmed, but most expected it this last Tuesday and we are guaranteed a patch on Tuesday so common thought is that it all drops at once.

Anne

expecting the "core" team you see after the patch to look like Rein/Zarya/Soldier/Lucio/Zen or Ana/Flex DPS.

Expecting a lot of Zen on offense, Ana on defense. Expecting flex DPS to favor McCree on defense with Reaper/Tracer/Genji/Pharah swapping in and out. Roadhog might also fill that slow sometimes too.

For other type teams, the S1 "cancer comp" of like Winston/Zarya/Genji/Tracer/Lucio/Zen is probably going to be strong. I expect a lot of teams to experiment with variations of that which include snipers and maybe trip DPS. Defensive team comps still might settle into using things like Mei + Soldier or more static things like that. I also expect to see trip tank ft Roadhog still being used on defense, but not in the same capacity and same strat type used atm.

Wildcard shit is I think some variant of Sombra in a 2/2/2 is going to happen involving pumping up your main DPS and her opening up horseshit. That character is really scary. For busted bullshit wildcards I am willing to bet Soldier rush strats become the new boogeyman but won't be nearly as strong current meta team. That will be beatable. Idk what will actually be "unbeatable" meta team again but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a more rush oriented version of what we have now tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom