• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemiLP

I think the problem will alleviate with Rein if they create more tanks that do Rein's job but that may be months or years down the line. I don't know how they will get Lucio out of the meta without completely removing his speedboost.

Yeah, i agree. The other tanks really dont fit the role as "tank" the way RH does. Imo, the other tanks are the problem, not RH.

And since lucio is also the only character with speedboost, people will keep using him. Other characters also needs that ability, or there has to be a strong counter to it.

Atuin

Nope, the tank meta is 3 or 4 tanks, Ana + dps.

Well that explains some of the memes. I don't think I've ever seen 3 tanks in a team and have to play tank/healer pretty much every game to get to 2-2-2 or at least 3-2-1 (3 squishies, 1/2 tanks and 1/2 healers). There was a game every everyone picked 5 attack/def squishies like genji, widow and hanzo and I had to choose between having 1 tank or 1 healer.

Blues1990

Yeah, i agree. The other tanks really dont fit the role as "tank" the way RH does. Imo, the other tanks are the problem, not RH.

And since lucio is also the only character with speedboost, people will keep using him. Other characters also needs that ability, or there has to be a strong counter to it.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds it weird that there's simply no alternatives to main tanking and reliably protecting your allies from damage intake. I know the other Tank Heroes in Overwatch outrank Reinhardt when it comes to DPS, Support, Mobility, and Utility, but with his role being so important to the current modes' gameplay, he seems invaluable to just about any team composition and map situation. You have solid alternatives for the other classes, such as switching Lucio for Zenyatta/Ana, for example.

On the other hand, I think the main problem is if you end up with two (or more) main tanks in the same team, it makes it much more difficult to get past their defenses.

First Reinhardt puts up his shield. Then when that gets shot down, the second main tank puts up their team-protecting defense. By the time the enemy team shoots that down, Reinhardt's shield is likely back up, and the other tank can recharge their defense while Reinhardt or Symmetra is protecting the team.

It could end up being almost impossible to get past without half the enemy team flanking or introducing more shield-piercing attacks. Or limiting a team to one main tank.

I really disagree with this notion. In another context but a game of a similar vein, in TF2 who's the tank? Heavy Weapons Guy. Why is he a tank? Because he's beefier to take down and can shred those near him. The nearest Overwatch equivalent is Roadhog, but the others fit in having damage mitigating abilities and higher health pools. Reinhardt being the "main" tank because he can effortlessly defend everyone isn't what should define a tank role, he's the outlier and something I think would be an unhealthy template to base other tanks on imo.

Atuin

I wouldn't call Reinhardt RH because he's not the only tank with those initials. For a moment I was wondering how anyone can consider RoadHog as the "true tank".

ISOM

I really disagree with this notion. In another context but a game of a similar vein, in TF2 who's the tank? Heavy Weapons Guy. Why is he a tank? Because he's beefier to take down and can shred those near him. The nearest Overwatch equivalent is Roadhog, but the others fit in having damage mitigating abilities and higher health pools. Reinhardt being the "main" tank because he can effortlessly defend everyone isn't what should define a tank role, he's the outlier and something I think would be an unhealthy template to base other tanks on imo.

If you're not using his template for other tanks then you're still stuck with the issue of Rein being the only one who can do that particular job and he will still be needed as much as Lucio's speedboost.

If you're not using his template for other tanks then you're still stuck with the issue of Rein being the only one who can do that particular job and he will still be needed as much as Lucio's speedboost.
Using him as a template would probably be a disaster as you'd then allow for the stack on effect of having Rein AND another significant damage blocker in tandem and things become a turtlefest, add Mei in there for good measure and it's pandemonium. The others tanks work much better precisely because their mitigation comes in specified bursts, not prolonged damage sponges that cover significant area.

Skii

As I said before, some characters should actually have an in game classification of "tank buster", one that does extra damage to characters designated as a tank. Reaper and Pharah for offence and Junk and Torb with his shotgun (not turret). This avoids tanks metas as you actually can say "hey this comp has 4 tanks, ok, let me hop on a tankbuster" and actually make a dent on them even with something as broken as ana grenade

None of those stop the tank meta lol. There's one tank so broken that she completely destroys all 4 of those heroes you mentioned. That's literally why she's being nerfed so heavily because she single handedly made it impossible to touch the tank meta.

I also dont think Junkrat and Torb are good vs tanks even if the meta becomes more balanced. I usually look towards the tanks to deal with those two.

Wait 2-2-2 isn't the tank meta everyone is talking about? In my experience getting 2 tanks and 2 healers is a meta miracle, usually it's just 1 off-healer, 1 tank and 4 genjihanzowidowmccrees.
The "tank meta" is Rein + Hog + Zarya/DVa and Ana (the enabler). Coupled with another healer like Zen or Lucio and then (usually) Soldier.

holysan

That's literally why she's being nerfed so heavily because she single handedly made it impossible to touch the tank meta.

And not only those 4 heroes. Whenever I play McCree, I wish for D.Va to be deleted. She just feels unfair. The nerfs will be great.

ISOM

Using him as a template would probably be a disaster as you'd then allow for the stack on effect of having Rein AND another significant damage blocker in tandem and things become a turtlefest, add Mei in there for good measure and it's pandemonium. The others tanks work much better precisely because their mitigation comes in specified bursts, not prolonged damage sponges that cover significant area.

If this were true why didn't people run double Rein's when there was no hero limit? The fact is that a melee tank like Rein has its limitations so double stacking with Rein is not as attractive as you're making it out to be. As long as the template is similar in being melee I don't see much of a problem.

If this were true why didn't people run double Rein's when there was no hero limit? The fact is that a melee tank like Rein has its limitations so double stacking with Rein is not as attractive as you're making it out to be. As long as the template is similar in being melee I don't see much of a problem.
Things were very different back then, and the very nature of being able to stack any hero changes considerations entirely.

Snagret

Our Rein complained the entire match because I was playing Lucio, because apparently Lucio is a "slow healer" and a "bad hero" and he wasn't getting any heals the entire game (according to him), even though we also had an Ana. I was like, dude I already have 8k healing after one round. Everytime he died he yelled at us for not healing him, until the Ana finally just left and I was solo healing. He continued to blame everything going wrong in the match on me, harrassing me the entire time to switch healers. We lose, they tell me I suck ass and to go fuck myself while my PotG plays and I get 14k total healing for the match.

Weekend Overwatch, everybody!

Blues1990

Our Rein complained the entire match because I was playing Lucio, because apparently Lucio is a "slow healer" and a "bad hero" and he wasn't getting any heals the entire game (according to him), even though we also had an Ana. I was like, dude I already have 8k healing after one round. Everytime he died he yelled at us for not healing him, until the Ana finally just left and I was solo healing. He continued to blame everything going wrong in the match on me, harrassing me the entire time to switch healers. We lose, they tell me I suck ass and to go fuck myself while my PotG plays and I get 14k total healing for the match.

"Why are you so angry?"

Lucio, 2076.

I-hate-u

Uhhhhhhhhhhh Lucio + Ana is the combo for the maximum healing. What did he want you to pick? Zen is a weaker healer than Lucio and Mercy is D tier compared Lucio. This guy's complaints are unfounded.

Grief.exe

Ana can't even compete with Lucio on bulk healing anyways since he's so good at spreading the love, but Ana should be the one to burst heal him to full when he's low.

He's wrong, and he's directing his complaints at the wrong person.

maomaoIYP

This sort of reminds me of a match I had yesterday on Lijiang where the enemy Reinhardt would try to come to capture the point all by himself every single time. He didn't even try edging in, just charge and hammer swings. I was Zen and he was a free kill every single time. We won very comfortably.

Guys, I fucked up and thought the GAF GOTY thread voting ended on the 25th but it was yesterday and I missed voting. Feels shitty and I didn't know where else to go so I came here. Overwatch was going to be my number 1 :(

I-hate-u

This sort of reminds me of a match I had yesterday on Lijiang where the enemy Reinhardt would try to come to capture the point all by himself every single time. He didn't even try edging in, just charge and hammer swings. I was Zen and he was a free kill every single time. We won very comfortably.

Rienhardt feeders are almost as bad as Roadhog's. Almost.

I have seen an enemy D.Va farm 5 ults in the span of 2 minutes from a Roadhog.

Satch

Banned

I feel like we played with the exact same reinhardt

i got so mad at one point that i just turned to healing aura and did my sit emote on the payload and did nothing else so as to make him feel better. we even had Ana and that still wasnt enough for him

the people that play this game are nuts

Snagret

He wanted to pick Mercy, haha. The very first thing he said in chat after we had already picked Lucio/Ana was "SOMEONE SWITCH MERCY NOW" (yes all caps). I was just like, whatever dude.

It's just hilarious to me that people get these really weird (read:blatantly wrong) ideas about how the characters function, then push those ideas on everyone else because they just know better. This was the first time I'd had someone turn on me for playing Lucio of all people, nobody ever bothers me for playing Lucio.

AbaFadi

Banned
Rienhardt feeders are almost as bad as Roadhog's. Almost.

I have seen an enemy D.Va farm 5 ults in the span of 2 minutes from a Roadhog.

As someone who plays D.Va a lot, I feed ult off of Roadhog whenever I see him. You'll fill up the ult meter quite a bit just shooting at him for a few seconds.

NeoRaider

Guys, I fucked up and thought the GAF GOTY thread voting ended on the 25th but it was yesterday and I missed voting. Feels shitty and I didn't know where else to go so I came here. Overwatch was going to be my number 1 :(

It wouldn't change anything so it's ok. :)

AngryMoth

For some reason I get left and right confused in this game all the time when making call outs. Must be going senile or something, never had this issue in any other area of life haha

Sande

This is pretty much what I've been thinking.

People have just accepted Reinhardt as the baseline for a tank, which pretty much makes him, by definition, "perfectly balanced". That's why any discussion about a possible nerf gets immediately shot down and ridiculed.

Sande

For some reason I get left and right confused in this game all the time when making call outs. Must be going senile or something, never had this issue in any other area of life haha
I think this issues comes from the dynamic nature of the game. There's no universal static left and right. You need to think about your own position and rotation in relation to the map layout in the heat of the moment.

This is part of the reason why they have precise callouts in games like Counter-strike. Easier to shout "He's in dark!" Than "Behind a box on the right! ... my right, not yours"

Edit: Damn, sorry for double post. Overwatch threads are getting slow.

If I had to boil down my bad record this season to just one thing it would definitely be Insta lock Mercy's on my team.

Every teamfight is 5v6 and the team with the Ana gets better healing anyway.

Mercy is so ass, she can't do anything but heal, and she's not even the best at that.

She needs an aoe 'cleanse' ability. Removes anti heal. Wakes people from sleep, gets people off ground after Rein ult, etc.

Skii

If I had to boil down my bad record this season to just one thing it would definitely be Insta lock Mercy's on my team.

Mercy is so ass, she can't do anything but heal, and she's not even the best at that.

She needs an aoe 'cleanse' ability. Removes anti heal. Wakes people from sleep, gets people off ground after Rein ult, etc.

Imagine a Reinhardt battle where your opponent has an Ana and you have a Mercy. Almost impossible to win it.

Owzers

Roman_Reigns.0.jpg

I will change your mind about Mercy.

holysan

The Mercy pick tilts me sometimes harder than Junkrat.

pizzacat

Banned
Mercy's npt that bad, you just can't play with her on a comp the same way as others.
You have to be way safer than how people play knowing theres an ana and a lucio backing you up

Theres gonna be times when you have one healer because shes hiding a rez shit like that

I like mercy hopefully one day people will too :,)

I will change your mind about Mercy.

Not in her current state. But I'm not talking about you, it's almost worth you playing Mercy just so I can give you shit every time you die before the rez. I just mean solo queue people, who don't talk, just auto lock Mercy and put us in what can, at best, be called a 5.5v6 the rest of the game.

It CAN be decent (but still never the 'right' choice), but I think she is utter trash at attacking a capture point or pushing a payload.

antitrop

I'm half-tempted to buy an alt and name it Mercy, only playing Mercy, and see how high I can climb.

I would probably do it if I didn't have to grind to level 25.

Anne

I'll admit the fact Lucio is more or less a requirement on attack makes Mercy indirectly worse. Mercy/Zen and Mercy/Ana are actually pretty stupid but Mercy/Lucio really isn't all that good.

Lucio is just the fuck up that keeps on giving.

Kaelan

I swear, for every 2 good competitive matches I get, I get like 3 where we lose and the team becomes total idiots. The other team will have a mercy and people will stand around and shoot at the dva or reaper in front of the mercy while they get healed, instead of going for mercy herself. I'm like the only dude trying to actually kill her so we have a chance.

Makes no freaking sense and it makes me angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom