• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohkay

I would actually love a 'DPS heroes with +75 shields and plus 75 armor' meta.
Played a mystery heroes game with 300 hp tracer (2 symm shield generators) and it was the most insane thing I've ever played. I just would not die, while melting the entire other team. It was glorious

I-hate-u

The shell of Rein/Zarya/Lucio/Soldier is going to be staple, with the other 2 being Ana/Zen, and McCree/Roadhog. Tracer/Genji might see more play too.

The next meta is the soldier meta, which means less Reaper/Mei/Pharah whom which he zones out easily. If Zen doesn't get picked a lot, I see Roadhog still being a factor in the meta as well. Finally, McCree might also get more play to counter the Tracers/Genjis that are going be running amuck.

Blues1990

Played a mystery heroes game with 300 hp tracer (2 symm shield generators) and it was the most insane thing I've ever played. I just would not die, while melting the entire other team. It was glorious

I had a fun time with four Symmetra's, an Ana, & myself as Pharah. You can imagine how pissed off the enemy team was with not being able to get counters for the heroes we've picked.

Ana Nanoboosting me (while firing off my rockets and ultimate) was a glorious feeling.

Nimby

Banned
I'm still unsure whether Symmetra is now 'just okay' or still the busted hero she was before, but a tad better. Hard to tell how good she will be next patch.

Misfits triple-dps comp is probably going to be strong next patch. It's the most entertaining to watch to, so that's good.

I-hate-u

Something to think about is that with the fall of the tanks, the nano blades and nano visors are going to be even more dangerous. And since Ana counters Zen's ult with her nade, she is bound to still to be very relevant imo.

Skii

The shell of Rein/Zarya/Lucio/Soldier is going to be staple, with the other 2 being Ana/Zen, and McCree/Roadhog. Tracer/Genji might see more play too.

The next meta is the soldier meta, which means less Reaper/Mei/Pharah whom which he zones out easily. If Zen doesn't get picked a lot, I see Roadhog still being a factor in the meta as well. Finally, McCree might also get more play to counter the Tracers/Genjis that are going be running amuck.

I feel like Reaper+McCree would be pretty good on defence against a dive comp. Soldier isn't a guaranteed pick imo. McCree has a lot of merit because if you go Soldier against a dive comp, you're finished. It's not the safest pick. McCree is a lot safer against that and can also deal with Pharah.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't really expect triple DPS to be all that common honestly. Definitely not going to be the dominant team comp.

The triple DPS comps used so far are pretty much just a variant of the dive comp.

not with long range reaper 76 around

Dude, winston was dominant when we had mcsniper and 50% discord. He'll be fine.

I feel like Reaper+McCree would be pretty good on defence against a dive comp. Soldier isn't a guaranteed pick imo. McCree has a lot of merit because if you go Soldier against a dive comp, you're finished. It's not the safest pick. McCree is a lot safer against that and can also deal with Pharah.

But you have to aim with McCree Kappa

Anne

I wouldn't call things "the Soldier meta" and I definitely wouldn't plan on seeing Reaper/Mei/Pharah sit out because of it. Soldier is strong but he doesn't actually present huge issues for a lot of heroes and generally isn't meta defining.

I think people forget about that time Soldier fired laser beams with no spread and he still lost to Pharah. Soldier will def be strong and will have presence, but I doubt he's going to be defining strats. Nanovisor is the scariest thing to deal with but like, Nanosword is actually almost as good if not better soooooooooo.

(dark horse Sombra + Nanovisor going to be a team)

I would say this is mostly true, but Soldier isn't "finished" since he can bail out. McCree is just a better choice generally. Soldier + McCree in a 2/2/2 against dive might be a thing.

Blues1990

Expect to see more winston. And also to realise that asking to buff winston is not a road you want to go down.

I've been getting a lot of time with Winston as of late, so I'm down with using him next season.

Y'all are going to see a lot more diverse comps with D.VA falling back to F-tier.

Basically, everyone who uses D.Va are going to be doing this most of the time?

gremlindva.gif

Antiwhippy

Yeah, soldier + mccree + zen together might push pharah out but soldier alone does not counter pharah. Just look at rascal vs buds in the kongdoo P vs fnatic match.

You can't even say that it's a pro only thing because I've met too many soldiers that fucking suck at countering pharah. And I don't even think it's their fault most of the time because I do think that he needs support to take down pharah.

Skii

I would say this is mostly true, but Soldier isn't "finished" since he can bail out. McCree is just a better choice generally. Soldier + McCree in a 2/2/2 against dive might be a thing.

In theory it's difficult for him to handle because he can't outrun Genji, Tracer and Winston. But Soldier can 1v1 any of those 3 with a heal station so probably a bit premature. If the dive comp becomes a thing, it does feel like McCree+Reaper is the safest thing to do on defence as that will do fairly well against normal 2/2/2 with Rein, dive comp, triple tank and Pharah.

I'm just so glad that we might end up with a meta where we can actually use different DPS. Feels good.

Antiwhippy

I mean you see plenty of people use DPS heroes other than soldier. People are just afraid to play heroes not deemed "meta".

Jellie

In theory it's difficult for him to handle because he can't outrun Genji, Tracer and Winston. But Soldier can 1v1 any of those 3 with a heal station so probably a bit premature. If the dive comp becomes a thing, it does feel like McCree+Reaper is the safest thing to do on defence as that will do fairly well against normal 2/2/2 with Rein, dive comp, triple tank and Pharah.

I'm just so glad that we might end up with a meta where we can actually use different DPS. Feels good.
Until all the roadhog and Dva mains fall to your rank and can't play someone else well enough .

I-hate-u

I will say that Pharah + harmony orb is almost impossible for 76 to take down. Even without the orb he lacks the burst damage, so you might be right Anne about Pharah. I still think he does very well against Reaper/Mei.

Genji might give him some trouble, but I feel Soldier can deal with tracer and can scare away a Winston

After seeing that the new event doesn't have any skins I want, I got a Sunyatta skin and I'm going to try to focus on getting good with him. I also opened one of his highlight animations in a loot box, which prompted me to get one of my 5 favorite skins in the game (I also want Lucio's frog outfit, Reaper's Halloween outfit, Pharah's bird costume, and every Mercy outfit). I'm actually surprised by how few outfits there are that I really want. I'm sad I missed the Genji event, though.

So in my continued misadventures in competitive play, my rating has fallen all the way to 1100. At this point, I'm feeling entirely helpless because I don't think I'm the problem. I regularly finish battles with the gold or silver medal in eliminations, objective eliminations, healing, and damage, and the rest of my team just streams in like a bunch of morons to get slaughtered one after another as the opposing group plays like a cohesive unit.

If I'm performing the best on my team semi-consistently but, realistically, I'm not good enough to take down the enemy 1v5, what more can I be doing? What am I missing to turn these into wins?

Jellie

You have no idea how many one trick DVAs and Hogs I've seen in GM this season.
Seen a few in quick play since I'm not good enough too see them in comp. The most extreme case was a 4400 hog main who was 1900sr above his previous season high within two weeks of season 3 starting.

I-hate-u

After seeing that the new event doesn't have any skins I want, I got a Sunyatta skin and I'm going to try to focus on getting good with him.

There is bound to be a few epic skins we haven't seen yet. And for your question, I would say pick character that have potential to carry like Soldier 76 or McCree, or use character that cover the mistakes of your team mates like D.Va and Zarya. Alternatively, Roadhog can be crucial if you can punish bad positioning of the enemy team. Turn on voice chat and try too coordinate ever so slightly with you team. Maybe that can help.

Skii

I forgot to post this but I did this in comp about a week ago

I've never played Dva until this season lol. And I only died in overtime after stalling the point long enough for my team to win the fight.

"Dva is balanced" lul.

Anne

If I'm performing the best on my team semi-consistently but, realistically, I'm not good enough to take down the enemy 1v5, what more can I be doing? What am I missing to turn these into wins?

Go for high impact plays. You don't have to 1v5 but if you can deal with the main problem killing your team then things get harder for them to fuck up.

I actually hate that Soldier just becomes better in the new patch, but at least flexing in a second DPS will be more common. Zarya>>>>>Dva to play as and against, so that sounds good.

And even though Lucio/Ana will still be the main comp it will be nice that you can pick a different support duo without putting yourself way behind the eight ball from the get go.

Go for high impact plays. You don't have to 1v5 but if you can deal with the main problem killing your team then things get harder for them to fuck up.
Maybe I shouldn't be playing Zenyatta, then? I feel like he struggles to make those high impact plays because his ult is defensive, and my lolteam never utilizes it. For example, the Reinhardts on my team always charge into battle, and I will ult and say "Go all in team". Then the Rein shields and walks back slowly, and I gouge my eyes out for the 11th time in the evening.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oxn

Just lost 200points, awesome.

Funny thing is i think this is the best ive ever played.

Solo Q has just become, either they steamroll you, or you steamroll them.

Anne

Maybe I shouldn't be playing Zenyatta, then? I feel like he struggles to make those high impact plays because his ult is defensive, and my lolteam never utilizes it. For example, the Reinhardts on my team always charge into battle, and I will ult and say "Go all in team". Then the Rein shields and walks back slowly, and I gouge my eyes out for the 11th time in the evening.

Zen's not the best at it, but it can happen. I wouldn't do preemptive ult with him in low level solo q, just save it for disasters and ult counters.

The more high impact heroes tend to be in the DPS/Tank slots, but supports can do it in this game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ducksauce was playing OW. I guess he's a popular game streamer. He proceeded to play Hanzo in a premade gorup with his friend playign Widowmaker and says 'my team is trash' and 'i got gold though'

lmao

Well, over the past couple of weeks ended up losing 400 points. Worst luck all the way through.

From leavers to trolls to tilted teammates to people who think they can dominate with their torb/sym/hanzo/WM/genji/sombra.

I think I only had maybe 5 games that weren't steamrolls against me. And it's one thing if it was just one day but this is over a two week period...

Grief.exe

I'm still unsure whether Symmetra is now 'just okay' or still the busted hero she was before, but a tad better.

I'd still rather have a Mercy.

She's really good at bringing out flaws in uncoordinated teams, but she just doesn't slot in well.

You can't sacrifice a support slot since she doesn't 'support' in any capacity until her ultimate charge is up.
If you sacrifice your DPS slot for a Symmetra, now you don't have hitscan for those pesky Pharahs.
She gets killed off easily by coordinated teams since she has to be close to the team to net the kill. I know if I hear someone get jumped on I'm turning around to nullify the threat regardless of who I'm playing. Now that team is 5v6 real quick.

Maybe it's because my winrate with someone picking Symmetra is way under water, but these issues pop out at me even though she's powerful.

IKizzLE

Went on a 10 game losing streak across 3 days. Every time I logged on to play my 2 games, I lost them. Season high 4320, currently sitting at 3800.

Competitive OW is as much luck as it is skill.

cyborg009

Banned
Yeah, soldier + mccree + zen together might push pharah out but soldier alone does not counter pharah. Just look at rascal vs buds in the kongdoo P vs fnatic match.

You can't even say that it's a pro only thing because I've met too many soldiers that fucking suck at countering pharah. And I don't even think it's their fault most of the time because I do think that he needs support to take down pharah.

Yeah I keep telling people that. Hell even a d.va providing support too helps.

I always tilt on the weekends it seems.

I push forward during the week...and lose it all on the weekends, I never learn.

Same :(

Zen's not the best at it, but it can happen. I wouldn't do preemptive ult with him in low level solo q, just save it for disasters and ult counters.

The more high impact heroes tend to be in the DPS/Tank slots, but supports can do it in this game.
Thanks.

Also, at King's Row (I think) I keep getting into teams that can't even make it past the underside of the bridge. The opposing team usually has Torb Turret, Bastion, and Symmetra turrets lining the outside wall of the bridge.

In these situations, I usually hang back and try to harass and pick off opposing team members while supporting my team to the best of my ability, but without team coordination I have no idea how to counter this setup. My opposing team is clearly bad, because these matches usually go 0-0 once my own team does the same strategy back (fucking lol), but I'm also stumped on what I could best do to counter Torb+Bastion+Symm+Rein+heals at that chokepoint. On other maps, I can just go around and approach from the back with my team, but on King's Row it seems there's only one choke point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just did a QP that had Grandmasters on the other team and mostly silvers/golds on my team and then I got switched to the GM team and it went similarly

I have to imagine this doesn't feel good for people who play the game casually

Talka

I'm ~2,400 SR and still playing with Meis who use ice wall to troll their own teams.

It's at best annoying and more commonly costs the team a couple of deaths.

I hate people.

Talka

Aaaaaand I thought I'd relax with a 3v3 elimination and they still haven't fixed the Mei clipping glitches. Loaded two games, each had a Mei turtling outside the game boundary.

That shit was broken a month ago. How have they not addressed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom