• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzan

I'm playing with some of my lower ranked friends on my alt account and going through Diamond is still the roughest rank. I think most people see it as "the highest rank" in a lot of ways, so they just dick around instead of actually trying to play a real game. At least the lower ranks have mostly people who are actually playing the game.

Of course, there are still some really good games you get in Diamond where everyone is working together and the enemy team is throwing themselves at you pretty hard. Just that there are also a ton of games where some dude goes Junkrat on Offense and then leaves voice chat.

This is pretty much it. It was the same point Mind Fuzz made in his latest vid on going through Diamond and its frustrating as hell. I've worked pretty hard to improve my own game which to me is is noticeably more effective than how I was playing at the start of the season in terms of decision making, positioning and timing. But then I run into these groups that do their own thing, often staying out of chat and generally making poor hero choices. It feels like I'm banging my head against a wall trying to get back up into Diamond through what's essentially a lottery.

I think over the past week or so there might be 1 in 5 matches where I HAVEN'T had a Symm at least on Defense, if not Attack as well, and its often combined with their buddy on a mediocre Mei. Symm on Def is fine... if they actually know how to use her properly so that we don't get steamrolled before they get their Ult up. Usually all that happens is that we have poor DPS, a lack of mid-range hitscan damage, and not enough healing. Its cost me so many losses lately.

I think I'm going to have to start finding a like-minded 3-man to be a part of if it'll minimise the RNG I'm currently dealing with in solo queue.

TheOddOne

Get disconnected from the game server. Log back in and see I have a two hour ban plus a hefty 70 SR docked. Wait, I didn't go anything.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Encountered something weird in a game yesterday. While defending on Gibraltar the enemy Pharah was shooting from inside the walls above where the bridge to the shuttle. The rockets were literally coming out from the walls and shooting in that direction did not give hit markers. Not sure if it was an intentional or an accidental glitch.

I've never seen anything like that before.
I think that's a positioning exploit/hack.

I think Blizzard tried to patch it out, but I guess it's still doable.

Apathy

We already passed the Inauguration without any special Russian skins.

giphy.gif

Where is the patch guys??

I want to trash that trash tier D.va

I'm really interested in seeing if new D.Va is really as bad as everyone is saying. I was pretty good with D.Va pre-600 health + move speed increase, so I dunno if it'll affect anything beyond me having less confidence in standing up to Zarya.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This might all go moot when the patch hits, but I'm not sure how to handle decision making and positioning with Dva.

I know she can either sit with the main group D-matrixing everything or fly in behind enemy lines to harass people, but how do I know when is a good time to do either one?

LiK

This might all go moot when the patch hits, but I'm not sure how to handle decision making and positioning with Dva.

I know she can either sit with the main group D-matrixing everything or fly in behind enemy lines to harass people, but how do I know when is a good time to do either one?

Use your instincts.

I'm really interested in seeing if new D.Va is really as bad as everyone is saying. I was pretty good with D.Va pre-600 health + move speed increase, so I dunno if it'll affect anything beyond me having less confidence in standing up to Zarya.

I think those of us who were good with dva before the buffs will still be able to do well with her. Those who picked her because of the buffs will probably abandon her

Apathy

Def gotta get that tracer full black skin, ooo lordy

Ok so real talk about this, at the highest highest highest level, we're talking grand master and pro plays, shes done. going down the line of rank you'll still see her but shes gotten considerably weaker in both damage out and damage that can be taken, so she'll be easier to get out of her mech for those people that only held down lmb and ended up killing people and thought they were good. People that can knew to fly in and out, that knew how to use defense matrix, they might still some use with her but shes not going to be dominating anymore

Still holding on for Mei yoga pants and sports bra legendary.

Gotta see that thiccness.

All her skins are skin tight though, you can see her thickness already

LiK

I think those of us who were good with dva before the buffs will still be able to do well with her. Those who picked her because of the buffs will probably abandon her

This is what I'm hoping for. tired of everyone picking her after the buff. I can never use her.

LiK

I don't have enough time on Dva to have anything by instinct :(

I'm asking these questions because I'm looking for guidelines to help figure out what should be instinctive.

i know, i'm being a dick.

I usually use her to dive and distract in 2CP maps. For KOTH, I use her as walking DM to protect my team. For Payloads, it depends on how the enemies are reacting. This usually works for me as long as I get heals and other players are helping me out.

you shut up about my santa hat

this is part of the war on christmas smh

I just... When she is saying 'cheers love the holidays' are here in mid January, it's just weird. I don't like wearing a fucking elf hat in January. I'm sorry. I had already put Sporty back on. But this new one looks like an upgraded version of that, so that's good by me.

Hey guys, I got Overwatch on PS4 for Xmas, I'm 21 hours in as of last night and level 31. Do I understand this correctly: for the Competitive Matches, you do the 10 ranking matches and then the game uses that for matchmaking. Once the season is over, you get a spray, a profile pic, and some premium game currency that's only good for gold guns? I hate gold guns, I don't feel like there's any reason for me to play the competitive matches...

Hey guys, I got Overwatch on PS4 for Xmas, I'm 21 hours in as of last night and level 31. Do I understand this correctly: for the Competitive Matches, you do the 10 ranking matches and then the game uses that for matchmaking. Once the season is over, you get a spray, a profile pic, and some premium game currency that's only good for gold guns? I hate gold guns, I don't feel like there's any reason for me to play the competitive matches...

You can be like me and play competitive for fun. I prefer the matches because the games are usually closer

LiK

That dude needs to invest in something to slow down and speed up videos rather than just working off youtube and hitting pause and play fast to get small details

btw the tracer intro is cute as hell

haha, yea, his inability to scrub the video made me laugh.

Tracer was my main for about the 50 first hours of the game, but then I decided I should learn how to play other characters.
Anyways, I went back to her and her bomb doesn't seem as good as it used to. What changes have they made to her?

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. Of course that'll probably mean people are going to yell for not picking the "meta" once she falls out of pro favor.

Ok so real talk about this, at the highest highest highest level, we're talking grand master and pro plays, shes done. going down the line of rank you'll still see her but shes gotten considerably weaker in both damage out and damage that can be taken, so she'll be easier to get out of her mech for those people that only held down lmb and ended up killing people and thought they were good. People that can knew to fly in and out, that knew how to use defense matrix, they might still some use with her but shes not going to be dominating anymore

I'm okay with her nerfs changing the pro landscape because the triple tank meta is boring-ish to watch at this point. But yeah, I think I'll still be able to use her fine, and it's also going to be satisfying to be able to take out the bad D.Vas who overextend.

Apathy

So ijust noticed that at the end of the video where they are showing off Dvas skin, unlike everyone else being on lijang tower, she is someplace I've never seen. not sure if anyone else can say it's from a place in game or if it's something new (some korea stage) they might release later

Tracer was my main for about the 50 first hours of the game, but then I decided I should learn how to play other characters.
Anyways, I went back to her and her bomb doesn't seem as good as it used to. What changes have they made to her?

Nothing

SoldnerKei

I'll still be playing D.va regardless of the nerf, I have been using her since I got the game and never bothered me that she was shit tier, I mean, I guess she will be dropped on the Pro scene now, but I couldn't care less for meta picks and such.

What I got from the PTR is that you need to really pick your fights now, you can't take on multiple enemies all by yourself, so don't over extend or dive alone on the enemy team, stick to your healers, learn to aim with naked D.va and fight from afar til your mech is up again. So yeah, she is pretty dependent now but IMO she can still do her job if she synergises/organize with her team.

Competitive has the best ruleset (Both teams get to attack and defend and a time bank is used) and people try to win more which makes it the best standard overwatch gameplay experience.

I only realised recently that it is not safe to leave when the final score shows up and got treated as a leaver :/

Wanna try the sombra dive comp suggested a few pages back tonight. Hopefully the SR range works out so that I can play with more gaffers again.

I should be able to get on more towards the end of the week. I have some friends coming into town. I'm going to go full tryhard and rage into the mic when I lose to make sure that I maximize my chances of gaining SR. Matchmaking seemingly wants me to be higher, so maybe I'll plateau at a place within 500 of you.

Also, what's the Sombra dive?

i was only joking :p

i know it's dumb. i love it tho :)

Love it, too. That skin is awesome.

Paltheos

you shut up about my santa hat

this is part of the war on christmas smh

Yup, don't care about the seasons (not that much anyway). If I like the costume and I don't see a better alternative, I'll rock it forever.

I have to see the new costume in action, but I'm ready to rock Nutcracker Zen all year round. I'll definitely keep rolling Halloween Ana. That mask, man.

Blu(e)

I only recently played four of my placement matches of competitive this season. Competitive this season really had no draw for me. I might play it again if the nerf/meta change though.

AngryMoth

In my experience most people treat quick play as "practise" mode where they don't give a shit about team comp and practise with heroes they don't play much, don't take winning very seriously. Imo competitive offers somewhat more of a "true" overwatch experience in terms of generally you'll always have at least 1 healer, people will actually communicate and group up, etc. Not I don't have plenty of games that are shitshows but that's just par for the course..

Grief.exe

In my experience most people treat quick play as "practise" mode where they don't give a shit about team comp and practise with heroes they don't play much, don't take winning very seriously. Imo competitive offers somewhat more of a "true" overwatch experience in terms of generally you'll always have at least 1 healer, people will actually communicate and group up, etc. Not I don't have plenty of games that are shitshows but that's just par for the course..

I agree with this sentiment.

Use practice mode to get proficient with every hero, but if you're going to stick with the game you will eventually get pulled into competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom