• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fancolors

ctf brawls with symm and torb on both teams brings me back to the good old days of tf2 where nothing happened because no one was coordinated enough to break through defense.

Cappa

Banned
CTF can either be a great experience or just ridiculously boring draws. Also the maps are clearly not designed with CTF in mind and especially on Garden where a Bastion sitting at spawn is nearly impossible to deal with.

Playing with Mei is fun, but shes only really useful on Control Center.

Pooya

I got 7 draws back to back in brawl, it's a waste of life. I guess this is it for the future of CTF in this game. You can't have it without major changes to some heroes.

I only had a couple of matches of CTF last night, and I wasn't paying much attention, but why have they got it so that you can capture the flag when your flag is missing?

Also, I think they should put a perimeter down where you can't place any type of turret or traps. Symmetra's turrets should be used to cover choke points leading to the flag, not to melt people who are trying to capture it.

The mode is fun, but it has a lot of issues in my opinion. I won one match, lost one, and drew all the others. It's the Overwatch equivalent of pre patch SFxT in how boring it is, and how it's just a game of waiting for the clock to run down.

Fancolors

CTF could work, but it would require a completely different approach to map design than what we currently have. The heavy emphasis on chokepoints make things super unfun.

pizzacat

Banned
We gonna discuss how hog is even more braindead

I was playing with a controller at one point

I had like 70% hook with like 29 in one round of koth

Why

Cappa

Banned
CTF could work, but it would require a completely different approach to map design than what we currently have. The heavy emphasis on chokepoints make things super unfun.

Yep, I hope this is just a first step to making CTF a new independent mode in arcade with maps tailored specifically for it in the future.

Like, just today I had an issue where the teleport straight-up didn't work--nothing happened. The beacon was ~eight feet from the enemy spawn door, which is all I can think that could cause it. (It wasn't glitching through any walls or anything either.) Really sucked.
This is a known bug.

(Among Sombra players. Blizzard seem clueless about it, despite repeated attempts by Sombra players to raise it.)

To avoid it, never throw your translocator straight down at your feet. Always throw it out to somewhere. For whatever reason, that's what causes it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Agree.

But maybe not every six seconds?

Pretty much.

Hopefully now they seem to have fixed the consistency issue they can move on to that. Because to me the BS hooks were never the biggest problem, the biggest problem is that the hook is not an ability that can have such a small cooldown.

Skii

Pretty much.

Hopefully now they seem to have fixed the consistency issue they can move on to that. Because to me the BS hooks were never the biggest problem, the biggest problem is that the hook is not an ability that can have such a small cooldown.

Well if they want to balance hook, the CD has to go to 9/10 seconds otherwise he'll still be ridiculous. His CD needs to be longer than reflect/wraith form so he doesn't stay a better anti-flanker than McCree or can out duel a Reaper.

WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT OF PLAYING MYSTERY HEROES IF YOU'RE JUST GOING TO THROW YOURSELF OFF A CLIFF WHENEVER YOU GET SOMEONE YOU DON'T LIKE?!?!

Fucking game. People who commit suicide more than twice should be kicked from the match.

This is a known bug.

(Among Sombra players. Blizzard seem clueless about it, despite repeated attempts by Sombra players to raise it.)

To avoid it, never throw your translocator straight down at your feet. Always throw it out to somewhere. For whatever reason, that's what causes it.

Huh. Bizarre.

Thanks for the heads up!

Antiwhippy

Also maybe because I've pretty much moved on to prioritising using grenade offensively but I'm barely feeling the ana nerfs. Like it's noticeable, but she's still fucking strong.

It was a fools errand to try to balance Roadhog with tweaks to CD or damage or health or anything of the sort as long as the hook was as unreliable and funky as it was. Fixing the hook was 100% the right thing to do. Now they have a foundation from which they can actually work on balance tweaks.

LiK

Feels like CTF requires more teamwork than the other modes. Basically need at least one defender to protect the flag while the rest of the team goes for enemy flag.

I think the Gaffers I played with eventually got the hang of it and we did well. I stuck mainly with Torb for Defense. He's pretty godly with his armor packs and keeping Tracers and Sombras from trying to steal the flags. I did much better with him than with Symm. Molten Core is also clutch and taking out a group dive into trying to capture the flags as well.

It's not an awful mode now I played it more but the map design could've been better.

holysan

Also maybe because I've pretty much moved on to prioritising using grenade offensively but I'm barely feeling the ana nerfs. Like it's noticeable, but she's still fucking strong.

She is, yes. Seems like a 2 tank limit is the only solution to the tank meta right now.
Or maybe nerf the tanks altogether. Lower the dmg output from a charged Zarya and Hog, decrease Hog's HP, reduce the stun time and the insane range from Rein's ult.

I got 7 draws back to back in brawl, it's a waste of life. I guess this is it for the future of CTF in this game. You can't have it without major changes to some heroes.
Same

Draws are most of the games. They shouldn't have allowed defense and support heroes in this mode. Removing them would immediately result in less draws.

Fancolors

found out Zarya is probably the best character for ctf, the brief moments her shield is on is enough to cap the flag while under enemy fire.

Antiwhippy

She is, yes. Seems like a 2 tank limit is the only solution to the tank meta right now.
Or maybe nerf the tanks altogether. Lower the dmg output from a charged Zarya and Hog, decrease Hog's HP, reduce the stun time and the insane range from Rein's ult.

Eh, thing is I think she is inidividualy still really strong, but she can't heal through burst as well as she used to do. I dunno if this will help with reducing the tank comp but I honestly feel that right now, if triple tanks is a thing, it'll be because of this.

1) Roadhog having a (now) consistent OHKO on a 6s cooldown.
2) Zarya and Reinhardt are pretty much 2 of the most reliable counters to hook.

NeoRaider

2 more boxes:

Mercy skin duplicate.
D.Va victory pose duplicate.

Aaaaaand... Legendary skin... regular for Lucio.

Kill me pls.

Feels like CTF requires more teamwork than the other modes. Basically need at least one defender to protect the flag while the rest of the team goes for enemy flag.

I think the Gaffers I played with eventually got the hang of it and we did well. I stuck mainly with Torb for Defense. He's pretty godly with his armor packs and keeping Tracers and Sombras from trying to steal the flags. I did much better with him than with Symm. Molten Core is also clutch and taking out a group dive into trying to capture the flags as well.

It's not an awful mode now I played it more but the map design could've been better.

Yeah I think that a coordinated team of six is great for CTF, but solo queue it's probably a nightmare. I only played two games of it before I joined the GAF group yesterday and both of those were draws.

I think lack of coordination is much more apparent in CTF because in other Overwatch game modes, there's always a side that has an advantage when both teams are uncoordinated. In CTF, there's a lot more neutrality to start out with, even over KOTH, which makes it harder to beat out the draw when people aren't communicating.

I think CTF can be pretty fun when with a group, but yeah I'm never gonna play the brawl solo queue.

Blues1990

Also not gonna lie skinny waist mei looks weird as fuck. It couldn't have been intentional. She looks like someone whose kidneys have been removed.

Eh, they'll fatten her up again, along with giving back her spine and kidneys.

I'm pretty happy with earning these two Epic Skins.

1MobHS2.jpg

EDIT: Nice touch that they made the bird buck like a chicken.

JHall

Day 2: People are starting to figure out Roadhog is better now, better change the subject...

CTF is an awful gamemode for OW. Too many games where you cap one flag then turtle your way to victory.

NeoRaider

I don't see D.Va staying like this for long. I mean if they are actually testing this game and all these changes they can see that she is not a good tank now. 300/300 would have been much better decision. This is just too drastic imo.

LiK

Yeah I think that a coordinated team of six is great for CTF, but solo queue it's probably a nightmare. I only played two games of it before I joined the GAF group yesterday and both of those were draws.

I think lack of coordination is much more apparent in CTF because in other Overwatch game modes, there's always a side that has an advantage when both teams are uncoordinated. In CTF, there's a lot more neutrality to start out with, even over KOTH, which makes it harder to beat out the draw when people aren't communicating.

I think CTF can be pretty fun when with a group, but yeah I'm never gonna play the brawl solo queue.

Yea, I will not solo queue in this mode. If you happen to have randoms who only wanna defend and not go for the flag then you're basically screwed. Teamp comp also seems crucial.

I don't see D.Va staying like this for long. I mean if they are actually testing this game and all these changes they can see that she is not a good tank now. 300/300 would have been much better decision. This is just too drastic imo.

yea, she's made of paper now.

Cappa

Banned

but what I dont understand is why have her for weeks on the PTR, not change anything even though there were plenty of complaints already?

I feel that if they were going to change anything with her, theyd have done it by now.

Oh, and I dont think DVA is that terrible anyway. I think people are still trying to play her like they did pre-nerf and its just not realistic.I think shes still viable, but she just cant dominate certain situations anymore which Im perfectly fine with because we should have any hero capable of doing that anyway.

but what I dont understand is why have her for weeks on the PTR, not change anything even though there were plenty of complaints already?

I feel that if they were going to change anything with her, theyd have done it by now.
because they claim the PTR is only for bug testing. despite the fact that pros will scrim the new changes on the PTR well before they go live and have been saying these changes make DVa garbage blizzard doesnt care until live feedback

So she will stew as garbage for a bit and get periodic adjustments like mccree did. Or not and she will remain possibly the worst character in the game

LiK

I feel like even tho there were plenty of complaints in PTR, Blizz wants to see how she does in the real world. I think when they see her popularity drop, then she'll get a slight buff back. Seems to be how they balance these days.

Skii

The problem with Dva is that she has to be balanced with Reaper in mind but they aren't really analysing what Reaper can do to her that other DPS can't in order to make all interactions fair. It's not a simple case of reducing armor because obviously a lot of DPS characters hugely benefit from it. I don't even know if 300/300 is fair for Dva or Reaper.

And to be honest, I'd rather Dva be trash than Reaper be trash because Reaper being trash is one of the reasons that really allowed the tank meta to get so out of hand even at lower levels. At least now the game "should" have some more variety to it whilst they try to fix Dva.

LiK

The problem with Dva is that she has to be balanced with Reaper in mind but they aren't really analysing what Reaper can do to her that other DPS can't in order to make all interactions fair. It's not a simple case of reducing armor because obviously a lot of DPS characters hugely benefit from it. I don't even know if 300/300 is fair for Dva or Reaper.

And to be honest, I'd rather Dva be trash than Reaper be trash because Reaper being trash is one of the reasons that really allowed the tank meta to get so out of hand even at lower levels. At least now the game "should" have some more variety to it whilst they try to fix Dva.

I still like Reaper so yea, I'm glad he can do some real damage against her again. Altho Soldier is still preferred atm.

reaper will remain trash as long as roadhog is top tier. When what should be his juiciest target can hook him with 100% accuracy easily and then 1 shot him, he will remain irrelevant

Paltheos

lol the hook salt. I didn't have much time to play last night but what little time I played on Roadhog... you know what felt good? Hooking a Genji jumping around in plainsight and watching him drop right into my waiting arms. TBH it actually felt almost too easy since I'm attuned to guessing where he'll show up based off his position and firing off that. I need to play more games and adjust before I can give an honest evaluation. My kneejerk reaction to some of the posts though is that some people are just upset that they were hooked.

WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT OF PLAYING MYSTERY HEROES IF YOU'RE JUST GOING TO THROW YOURSELF OFF A CLIFF WHENEVER YOU GET SOMEONE YOU DON'T LIKE?!?!

Fucking game. People who commit suicide more than twice should be kicked from the match.

I feel no shame in this. The game allows me to commit suicide and respawn with a different hero, at the expense of time, which it also grants me. Given I'm playing to win (for lootboxes) and this isn't a gamebreaking exploit, why should I feel bad about it?

Oxn

Day 2: People are starting to figure out Roadhog is better now, better change the subject...

CTF is an awful gamemode for OW. Too many games where you cap one flag then turtle your way to victory.

I was doing a 3v3

They killed both my teammates. So it was Rein, Mei, and Zen vs me Roadhog, and i beat them all that round. Lol.

If Reaper dodges the hook, then he wins the 1v1 with ease.

Also, given that a lot of Roadhogs (at least on Silver/Gold) where I play, don't bother to check if their healer is backing them up and very rarely check their flanks, at my level, Reaper is pretty good counter to an enemy Roadhog who is wreaking havoc. Just don't try to Ult in front of him unless you've seen him throw out a hook recently.

Apathy

reaper will remain trash as long as roadhog is top tier. When what should be his juiciest target can hook him with 100% accuracy easily and then 1 shot him, he will remain irrelevant

Yes every hook is a hit right, no matter what. Not like math or reality prove you wrong. God damn the hyperbole from some if you. Living in a world of alternative facts for sure

Also, given that a lot of Roadhogs (at least on Silver/Gold) where I play, don't bother to check if their healer is backing them up and very rarely check their flanks, at my level, Reaper is pretty good counter to an enemy Roadhog who is wreaking havoc. Just don't try to Ult in front of him unless you've seen him throw out a hook recently.

Yesterday A reaper ulted in front of me after i missed the hook on him and i still won the fight lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom