• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM Scores [come argue about Halo 2 in here]

Reviews

POP WW- 9.6
Halo 2- 9.7

THUG 2- 8.7
KUFTC- 8.4
Men of Valor- 6.8
Ty the tasmanian 2- 6.8
Crash twin sanity- 7.3
Leisure suit larry- 2.3(lol)
Tak 2- 7.6
King arthur- 7.0
Spngebob Square pants- 8.9
Wings of War- 6.1
Mortal Kombat- 8.3
NBA live 2005- 9.3
ESPN NBA 2K5- 8.5
SvC Chaos- 7.0
X-Men Legends- 8.2
Head hunter redemption- 5.9
test drive- 8.3
Siberia 2- 6.8
FIFA 2005- 8.4
Revit_X_Man- 1.0

On the disk:

demos
POP WW
DOA U
The Incredibles
Conflict Vietnam
ESPN NFL2K5
Dukes of Hazrds
(super secret playable demo you cant miss)

features on the disk, GR demo, LOTR third age

Source: Teamxbox

Sullichin

Not at all surprised by the Halo 2 score, but 9.6 for POP2? Awesome. I guess I should start getting hyped for that game..

Damnit.. . now I'll have to take a long look at picking up PoP:WW along with the bajillion other things coming out..

Any word on if the DoA:U demo is Xbox Live? Cause that? Would rock.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Haha, I knew new PoP was going to be really good. Halo 2 was to be expected, I guess. 9.7 is their highest score though, at least I think.

Keio

For a Finer World
Imagine if they had scored PoP: WW better than Halo 2. That couldn't happen. Not even if it were 2 times better.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Keio said:
Imagine if they had scored PoP: WW better than Halo 2. That couldn't happen. Not even if it were 2 times better.

I respect most of OXM's scoring, it's not as out of whack as say IGN Xbox. Sure they sometimes bash PS2 and Gamecube, but no big deal I say. When it comes down to game reviews and you just ignore some of the odd "can't be done on (enter console here)", the reviews are pretty good and pretty much hit the nail on the head.

thorns

Banned
I don't get this 100 scale anyway.. Makes much more sense to rate games out of 10 or 5.
What seperates 9.7 and 9.6 , seriously? they should have given both games 10.

Mrbob

thorns said:
What seperates 9.7 and 9.6 , seriously? .

Sorry, being a smart ass.

Anyway, take all reviews with a grain of salt. PoP2 won't come close to the glory of Halo 2. PoP = most overrated game of 2003.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
*wonders what how his new tag would handle this...*

w00t - Killzone has a .3 point window of opportunity!!!

unkasa

Banned
kaching said:
*wonders what how his new tag would handle this...*

w00t - Killzone has a .3 point window of opportunity!!!

Killzone and Halo 2 play entirely different, the former's gameplay bearing a strong likeness to Call of Duty. Halo 2 is more straightforward.

I'm not surprised by the score.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Yeah, OXM's reviews are pretty damn on target for the most part with little overrating going on. I don't think any other game will match Halo 2's OXM score for Xbox, evah!

Mrbob said:

Sorry, being a smart ass.

Anyway, take all reviews with a grain of salt. PoP2 won't come close to the glory of Halo 2. PoP = most overrated game of 2003.
and Halo 1 = most overrated game of 2001. Halo 2 will be the most overrated game of 2004. Comon man.

cja

So the first two reviews of PoP:WW come from Future Publishing's two US magazines (PSM and OXM). Both reviews give ultra high scores and Ubi also gave the "world exclusive" preview of PoP:WW to Edge, another Future Publishing mag. Will publications not associated with Future and without exclusive rights give the game such high scores?
I'm a cynical bastard, yes.

unkasa

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Halo is not overrated.

I've yet to try Halo 2 out, but I have to concur with LineInTheSand. Halo is about as overrated as a game can be. With tediously conventional gameplay and interchangeable level design, I'm always puzzled by the love it receives. In recent memory, I haven't played a FPS as dry. With all of that said, however, I've read that Bungie rushed Halo, something they've sworn against doing this time around. I think Halo 2 will be what Halo failed at becoming.

Mrbob

cja said:
So the first two reviews of PoP:WW come from Future Publishing's two US magazines (PSM and OXM). Both reviews give ultra high scores and Ubi also gave the "world exclusive" preview of PoP:WW to Edge, another Future Publishing mag. Will publications not associated with Future and without exclusive rights give the game such high scores?

THE PLOT THICKENS.

and Halo 1 = most overrated game of 2001. Halo 2 will be the most overrated game of 2004. Comon man.

It sounds like you are being sarcastic but if you think so OK that's fine. I'm not making an empty judgement either. I've played through PoP plus I have played through the PC demo of PoP2 a couple times. Maybe the full version is much, much better but I don't see it.

unkasa

Banned
cja said:

The POP:WW demo is wretched. I'm skeptical about that review.

GhaleonEB

unkasa said:
I've yet to try Halo 2 out, but I have to concur with LineInTheSand. Halo is about as overrated as a game can be. With tediously conventional gameplay and interchangeable level design, I'm always puzzled by the love it receives. In recent memory, I haven't played a FPS as dry. With all of that said, however, I've read that Bungie rushed Halo, something they've sworn against doing this time around. I think Halo 2 will be what Halo failed at becoming.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but the fact that A) Halo continues to be a top selling game after three years (and still at $30, no less) and B) the sequel has broken all previous preorder records speaks to how loved the game is. I consider it to be best action game ever - but that's just IMHO.

Mrbob

Well maybe this will be a wake up call for console developers to stop offering shitty demos.

Seriously, I never have a problem getting a good feel for a game with a PC based gaem demo. Apparently we aren't supposed to use a demo as a representation of the final version of a game with console demos.

They are either:

1) Way too short

2) Don't offer all the functionality of the final version

3) Timed

4) Don't give a decent representation of the final product

PhatSaqs

Banned
This was his post @ IGN:

Guys......I would highly recommend you pick up OXM next month and play the Xbox Demo. I work on this game and I simply can't see how people could enjoy it with a mouse and keyboard?

The combat system you experience in the demo is a fraction of what you'll do in the real game. We wanted to give people a taste.

Also - as someone pointed out. That code is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo early. To put things in perspective - in order to make the PS2 demo and the OXM demo in November - you need to have code ready in JUNE! (We finish the PC demo at the same time.) We actually had to pass on the PS2 version because that deadline was too fast. I say this not for my product, but for any product with a demo. Demos are usually a good reflection of what the product is going to be like - but expect a lot more polish with the final version.

unkasa

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but the fact that A) Halo continues to be a top selling game after three years (and still at $30, no less) and B) the sequel has broken all previous preorder records speaks to how loved the game is. I consider it to be best action game ever - but that's just IMHO.

How does its continued presence on sales charts testify to how good it is? I think the vast majority of Halo's fans are those new to the genre -- which, taken in that context, makes its popularity unsurprising. I don't mean to come off as an elitist, but, having played just about every FPS released, Halo ranks considerably low, imo. Again, I think Halo 2 will be what Halo vainly tried to be.

Mrbob

unkasa said:
How does its continued presence on sales charts testify to how good it is? I think the vast majority of Halo's fans are those new to the genre -- which, taken in that context, makes its popularity unsurprising. I don't mean to come off as an elitist, but, having played just about every FPS released, Halo ranks considerably low, imo. Again, I think Halo 2 will be what Halo vainly tried to be.

This is for you. :D

halo_halosucks.gif

Some of the thread titles on the IGNXBOX boards are hilarious! :lol Everyone going crazy, my gosh.

Rhindle

unkasa said:
Err... you think Halo sucks. We get it. You don't need to make 57 posts full of your obtuse syntax to get your point across.

vireland

Well maybe this will be a wake up call for console developers to stop offering shitty demos.

Seriously, I never have a problem getting a good feel for a game with a PC based gaem demo. Apparently we aren't supposed to use a demo as a representation of the final version of a game with console demos.

They are either:

1) Way too short

2) Don't offer all the functionality of the final version

3) Timed

4) Don't give a decent representation of the final product

It's going to be an ongoing problem simply because the lead time for console demos is HUGE, whereas PC demos can trail the actual game in development by a week or two. In general, you have to give code to the console mag demo disk creators MONTHS before the street date. Until there's internet distribution of console content, that's not going to change much.

I will throw my hat in and say that TIMED and overly short demos blow. Severe lack of imagination on the part of the people making the demo when that's what they come up with. If the game's good, giving away 15%-20% of it on a demo is going to do nothing but make people MORE likely to buy it. That's what we did with the LUNAR 1 demo disc, and there were some industry types that thought we were nuts. It was a tremendous success, and one of the reasons the game cracked 250,000 units sold. Conversely, if your game sucks, a demo is NOT going to help your case, and, in fact will probably hurt it. For those circumstances, screenshots are a PR person's best marketing friend.

Top Bottom