• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM Scores [come argue about Halo 2 in here]

Spike

LinesInTheSand said:
and Halo 1 = most overrated game of 2001. Halo 2 will be the most overrated game of 2004. Comon man.

Nope.

MGS2 = Most overrated game of 2001
MGS3 = Most overrated game of 2004?

Sorry guys, but MGS2 gets the nod for most overrated game of 2001. How it scored in the mid-high 9's is unbelieveable. Ok, to be fair, the gameplay is very good, but the storyline sucks donkey balls. I readily admit that gameplay is more important that any other factor, but when everything is taken together, the storyline should have brought this puppy down a point or two.

Remember, just because I say it's overrated doesn't mean that I don't like the game. Just that I feel the ratings it got was too high.

Now, I'm fearing that MGS3 will fall into the same trap. That demo really turned me off to the game. I was hoping that Kojima would've cut down on all the long-winded cutscenes and codec sequences, but looks as though I was wrong. I will rent the game on day one as opposed to buying it, and I hope that this happened because it was the beginning of the game and they were just setting up the game.

Halo was a decent game for a 9 month rush job. They've had time to get Halo 2 right. At least I hope they have.

Mrbob

Yeah, I remember the Lunar demo. That is one of the exceptions. And if this helps at getting better console demos, you can definitely let others in the industry know that demo influenced my decision to buy the game. While being only one person, I'm probably not the only one. And sales help support what was done. I never played the Sega CD versions, but I kept on hearing about the game. I knew a little bit, not not a ton. The Lunar demo is what sold me on the game in the first place. Actually one of the first things that popped in my head when I played the Lunar demo is that it reminded me of a PC game demo. Now, I'm not going to argue which gaming type is better, but after years of playing fully fleshed out PC game demos (Which do exactly what is intended to do and that is try to sell the game), I get frustrated playing these tiny console demos that are only giving a taste of the game. I want the full encore, but that doesn't mean you have to give the game away in the demo. Like you said, if the game is any good, offering the full range of what the game offers in the demo is not going to hurt.

Insertia

unkasa said:
I've yet to try Halo 2 out, but I have to concur with LineInTheSand. Halo is about as overrated as a game can be. With tediously conventional gameplay and interchangeable level design, I'm always puzzled by the love it receives. In recent memory, I haven't played a FPS as dry. With all of that said, however, I've read that Bungie rushed Halo, something they've sworn against doing this time around. I think Halo 2 will be what Halo failed at becoming.

get out of my mind.

MarkMacD

Spike said:
I was hoping that Kojima would've cut down on all the long-winded cutscenes and codec sequences, but looks as though I was wrong.

No, you were right. The game just has one in the beginning to give you all the necessary info to start playing, basically.

Spike

MarkMacD said:
No, you were right. The game just has one in the beginning to give you all the necessary info to start playing, basically.

Really? Good to know. So you're playing the reviewable, Mark? Is the storyline as wonky as Sons of Liberty?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:
In case anyone missed it in the 19-page thread over at TeamXBox, Live co-op is in.

And so is the fuel rod gun.

how is that confirmed?

fuel rod gun in single or multi? yes, there is a difference

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
CrimsonSkies said:
Great score. Anyone who says Halo is overated when it's still selling 80K plus a month 3 years later is a moron.

Just because a game sells doesn't mean it's as good as it's sales are.

Enter the Matrix, anyone?

Mrbob

GaimeGuy said:
Just because a game sells doesn't mean it's as good as it's sales are.

Enter the Matrix, anyone?

-___-

Can we please end this argument. Hype only gets you so far. Quality is what keeps a game selling months on end after release.

From what I've read is that Co-op WAS NOT on Xbox Live! for Halo 2. That is why I'm surprised it was mentioned being in.

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
how is that confirmed?

fuel rod gun in single or multi? yes, there is a difference

Because the guy who has the mag said so....

He didn't specify. Though he did describe the new Blood Gulch Redux in some detail, and it rocks.

GhaleonEB

chespace said:
where is that thread where they confirm live co-op is in?

I think it was in the low teens. I spend a half hour reading the entire thread...

Okay, I and several other people are asking for re-confirmation on Live co-op right now.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Man....after raising my hopes like that it better be in, or theres gonna be a whole pile of dead bodies in the Floridian Area :mad:

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:
Because the guy who has the mag said so....

He didn't specify. Though he did describe the new Blood Gulch Redux in some detail, and it rocks.

so the review says that its in? hmmm. i still have my doubts

GhaleonEB

New Blood Gulch description:

I am going to describe blood gulch. Ok. here we go.

The map is basically the same, there looks to be only a few new additions. Rocks by the Blues base portal exit. and trees by the reds base portal exit.

The cave with the golwing moss or whatever. is now filled with water.

The bases are the coolest things. They have a new basement with a banshee inside. you fly out the bottom through a hole, its like something out of a cartoon like thunder cats(ther eis no automatic door so i guess we can pretend). so the bases consist of three storys now. I hope that didnt ruin it for anyone. if so let me now. i will erase this post

(Some people consider anything a spoiler.)

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?p=4345652#post4345652

GhaleonEB

BRVolition said:
The guy who has the magazine said the review didn't say anything about online co-op.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?p=4345447#post4345447

Yup, you're right - my bad. Some other guy, who does't have have the mag said that. Sorry.

But this does raise some eyebrows (even if that's a MP shot):

146_0001.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GhaleonEB said:
Yup, you're right - my bad. Some other guy, who does't have have the mag said that. Sorry.

146_0001.jpg

Apparently MS Marketing will fix it soon.

Jesiatha

GhaleonEB said:

I'm sure that was put together by marketing people who have no clue what features are in the game other than "Xbox Live support".

GhaleonEB said:
In case anyone missed it in the 19-page thread over at TeamXBox, Live co-op is in.

And so is the fuel rod gun.

*DOES THE HAPPY MOTHERFUCKING XBOT DANCE*

FUCK YEAH!!

edit: reads following posts....

*CRIES INTO HIS BOWL*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How does its continued presence on sales charts testify to how good it is? I think the vast majority of Halo's fans are those new to the genre -- which, taken in that context, makes its popularity unsurprising. I don't mean to come off as an elitist, but, having played just about every FPS released, Halo ranks considerably low, imo. Again, I think Halo 2 will be what Halo vainly tried to be.

Nice assumption...but an incorrect one.

I too have played nearly every major and minor FPS released since Wolf 3D. However, I enjoyed Halo enough that it made my FPS top 5 list...

Halo falls directly below System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Thief II while sitting right about Half-Life. Yes, I believe that Halo is just THAT good.

You don't? That's all well and good, but don't go making these crazy blanket statements that couldn't be further from the truth.

Future

------------
I think the vast majority of Halo's fans are those new to the genre
------------

Bullshit.

I agree on one thing though: the most obvious flaws (lack of enemy variety, repetitive level design, no online multiplayer) of the original were clearly the focus of the second, which is fantastic. Given the amount of playtime I dedicated to the original Halo, can't imagine what my social life will turn into once this monster is released.

unkasa

Banned
dark10x said:
Nice assumption...but an incorrect one.

I too have played nearly every major and minor FPS released since Wolf 3D. However, I enjoyed Halo enough that it made my FPS top 5 list...

Halo falls directly below System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and Thief II while sitting right about Half-Life. Yes, I believe that Halo is just THAT good.

You don't? That's all well and good, but don't go making these crazy blanket statements that couldn't be further from the truth.

When did I say there aren't exceptions? Anyway, the comment was experientially derived. Meaning, when compared to other entries in the genre, my friends and I rank Halo low.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
unkasa said:
When did I say there aren't exceptions? Anyway, the comment was experientially derived. Meaning, when compared to other entries in the genre, my friends and I rank Halo low.

One less nub and his friends crowding the lower ranks! yay!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
OMG Halo 2 didn't get a 10!!!
BOMB!!!!!

But seriously, I sure wish I had an xbox right about now just to play Halo 2. Hopefully it will make it out to the PC sometime in the near future.

Renegade

Banned
Halo was very well put together. It just felt 'complete' and well rounded.

If it ranks low among FPS', then I'd say that you suck. You should have said that 'It's only in the top 10 FPS' of all time' or something similar, because what you said is basically "This game sucks and is in the same lines as Deer Hunter as far as FPS' go."

Pimpbaa

I've been playing FPS since Wolfenstein 3D, and I consider myself pretty burnt out on the genre as a whole. But I rank Halo 1 considerably high, it was at the time one of the best fps I played. I think the majority of the fps fans that rank it low, rank it low because it's on a console (a microsoft console at that).

unkasa

Banned
Vagabond said:

If it ranks low among FPS', then I'd say that you suck. You should have said that 'It's only in the top 10 FPS' of all time' or something similar, because what you said is basically "This game sucks and is in the same lines as Deer Hunter as far as FPS' go."

I just found it very average. I don't think it sucked. After playing Call of Duty, it takes a lot for an FPS to impress me.

DarkCloud

Vagabond said:

This is Futami you're talking to. If he thought he'd get away with it he'd likely have said that.

dark10x

unkasa said:
I just found it very average. I don't think it sucked. After playing Call of Duty, it takes a lot for an FPS to impress me.

Ah, Scripts of Duty. I see...

So what other FPS games do you place at the top?

unkasa

Banned
dark10x said:
Ah, Scripts of Duty. I see...

So what other FPS games do you place at the top?

Copiously scripted or not, the game provided an amazing experience that dwarfs what I took from Halo. Other FPS games that I enjoyed immensely?

NOLF (Didn't enjoy its sequel at all.)

System Shock

Aliens Vs. Predator 1/2

Operation Flashpoint

Goldeneye

Those're a few

EDIT: Forgot to include the Killzone Demo. While flawed (hopefully, because it's a demo), the game strongly suggests CoD.

dark10x

unkasa said:
Copiously scripted or not, the game provided an amazing experience that dwarfs what I took from Halo. Other FPS games that I enjoyed immensely?

NOLF (Didn't enjoy its sequel at all.)

System Shock

Aliens Vs. Predator 1/2

Operation Flashpoint

Goldeneye

Those're a few

EDIT: Forgot to include the Killzone Demo. While flawed (hopefully, because it's a demo), the game strongly suggests CoD.

Yeah, I absolutely detest Operation Flashpoint and Goldeneye. :p

The Killzone demo was pretty crap as well. Way too scripted for my tastes (that trench level was just so terrible...)

System Shock, NOLF, and AVP1 are solid choices though. Can't deny that...

Honestly, though, I don't see how you can sit there and make these crazy claims...and then post a list like that. Seriously.

Everyone has different opinions as you can see, and quite frankly, I'd say that your comments about Halo could apply to the games you chose as well. You're not some "elite" FPS player here, you just have a different opinion. :)

unkasa said:

Well that ends the argument. Call of duty is more scripted than an episode of friends.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Not that I care, but im really wondering what other scores it gets. Im sure it'll get great scores across the board, but anyone giving it under what they gave the original is gonna catch heat for it (messageboard explosion!). Wonder if EGM'll 10 it again :p

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
unkasa said:

here's where the elitism melts away. cause...no. but it backs up where you seem to be coming from.

Top Bottom