• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM Scores [come argue about Halo 2 in here]

ElyrionX

Ok, I do think that the original Halo is overrated. Sure, its a great game but I've played better shooters and that includes Call of Duty. Yeah, Call of Duty IS better than Halo, IMO. Anyway, I believe the one single feature that saved Halo for me is the option to play co-op through the main game. ALL games should have some form of co-op gameplay in it, just like those good ol' 8 bit and 16 bit days. It just makes playing through the whole damn game that much more entertaining.

Most memorable Halo moment: first time ever seeing the invisible dude with the kickass plasma sword. He raped me and my bro several times before we kicked his ass. GOD, THAT WAS AWESOME!

I am looking forward to Halo 2 and hopefully, they really did do something about the damn level design.

With regards to POP2, if the reviews thus far have been accurate, then Ubisoft is being stupid again. POP2 is so going to get swept away in the Halo 2, GTA SA and MGS3 frenzy. Didn't they learn shit from last year?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sure, its a great game but I've played better shooters and that includes Call of Duty.

Call of Duty is the best WWII FPS on the PC, but to say it's better than Halo is the rumblings of a crack whore.

ElyrionX said:
With regards to POP2, if the reviews thus far have been accurate, then Ubisoft is being stupid again. POP2 is so going to get swept away in the Halo 2, GTA SA and MGS3 frenzy. Didn't they learn shit from last year?

Doesn't seem like it. Last year they had the benefit of Sony and MS making ads for the game too, but both of their release schedules are full this year so I doubt they'll be doing the same.

shpankey

not an idiot
the thing about COD is it's only great once because once you've seen it, you've seen what the game will be everytime you play it. it will always be basically the same thing. Halo is much better in my book, but whatever floats your boat.

AniHawk

Why, after the huge media blackout I've had for this game, after playing Halo, thinking, "well that was fun," am I just getting hyped for the sequel now?

Guess it was inevitable.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i've had halo1 for a long time and never really played past the first or second level - after reding all the hype about halo 2 i played further into the game and became hooked :p now i want the sequel oh so badly :D

prime 2 first for me tho.. aint got unlimited funds!

Teddman

SantaCruZer said:
sales doesn't automaticly mean it's a great game.
Consistent sales over a long period of time usually does speak of quality.

You don't see Driv3r or Enter the Matrix in the top ten any more.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
God CHRIST!!! How sick am I of Halo haters whose very statements against the game prove that they played it blindfolded, if at all. And, guys, I've only been around here about nine months or so, really, I'm sure it used to be much worse.

What is so conventional about Halo's gameplay? Please tell me, cuz, bless me, me and my 80 Halo friends have just been overlooking it.

What was it? The energy shield never seen before? The very useful melee? Grenades at the ready? A two weapon limit? Weapons that you can't reload? AI that acted like what the enemy was 'sposed to be? Great, dependable physics? Multiplayer that nodded strategy over twitch?

What was so goddamn conventional, that your crew was rollin' they eyes "Oh, not this again!!", before going back to COD, the best of the sixty WWII shooters?

Oooh! Wait! Don't answer yet. I know you want to play the level design. I know you said it. I'm calling you out on the tired ass gameplay that bored your friends to tears.

I got a notepad right here, to record your eloquent response. Not even notepad.exe, either, I got real goddamn paper, right here, because I believe that your views on Halo's cookie-cutter gameplay are that important.

Edge of my seat here, B.

Beautiful... I think you shut him up, suprised nobody posted a classic 'OWNED' pic...

I am also a little suprised about the lack of a 10, I mean, if OXN didnt give Halo 2 a 10, than I can't see ANY game getting a 10 untill maybe Xenon with Halo 3 or something. I could potentaly see SC:CT getting the same as Halo 2, because 9.7 will now be there new high standerd, and if I remember correctaly SC:pT set the 9.6 standard, and CT looks quite a bit better....

~Black Deatha

AniHawk

CrimsonSkies said:
Great score. Anyone who says Halo is overated when it's still selling 80K plus a month 3 years later is a moron.

I take it you're a Pokemon fan then.

I think Halo is overrated, but still love playing it and believe it's a very well-crafted game. Meanwhile I think Metroid Prime is overrated because it's boring. Overrated doesn't mean bad every time.

Anyway, props to Bungie for being so tight-lipped about the single-player mode. One of the biggest game releases of all-time only two weeks away and most of the gaming public doesn't have a clue about what to expect (except that it'll be great).

SantaC

Teddman said:
Consistent sales over a long period of time usually does speak of quality.

You don't see Driv3r or Enter the Matrix in the top ten any more.

I guess Pokemon is the greatest game ever then?

Teddman

I've never bashed Pokemon; it's good for what it is. I personally burned out on the gameplay after Red.

And all the proper Pokemon games have been critically well-received. So yes, that would support my assertion that in general, long-term sales being high is an indicator of quality.

Deg

Banned
dark10x said:
Hmmm, the OXM review seemingly confirms XBOX Live and System Link CO-OP play...

I wonder if that is legit? The leaked version does not seem to support sys-link CO-OP, according to several people...so you have to wonder what the deal is...

jeux-france have an article up confirming it. Its in.

MightyHedgehog said:
Link, please.

http://www.jeux-france.com/news6622.html

"Halation 2: the co-operative one into live

At less than one month of the exit of Halation 2, Bungie still hides us many elements on its play star. We learn indeed today via an internal publicity diffused on the official site Australian Xbox or it is discovered that it will be possible to play in co-operation with two via the mode Xbox Live, a good news thus for all those which would need assistance during this long tour which will begin as of November 9... "

Babelfish is awesome, awesome is Babelfish. Cant wait to play Halation 2.

Keio

For a Finer World
The Jeux-France news is just about the mention on the Australian Xbox site. edit: damn, I'm slow

If system link co-op/Live co-op was in, that would confirm the rumours that the leak was a late beta.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Sullichin said:
Not at all surprised by the Halo 2 score, but 9.6 for POP2? Awesome. I guess I should start getting hyped for that game..

It's an offical mag. Scores = ALWAYS too high. Sometimes paid too.

Babelese...I'm kinda slow that way, but that 'translation' points to the Austrailian site as corroborating proof of the two features' existence...sounds like an assumption again.

AssMan

Banned
Sorry guys, but MGS2 gets the nod for most overrated game of 2001. How it scored in the mid-high 9's is unbelieveable.

The reason why MGS2 scored so high was because of its graphics and gameplay. Sure the story turned a lot of people off, but I and many others lived past it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sorry guys, but MGS2 gets the nod for most overrated game of 2001. How it scored in the mid-high 9's is unbelieveable.

It scored well because the game was great. One of the very best releases in 2001...

PhatSaqs

Banned
Blazing Sword said:
"As great as Halo 1 single player was, do you think Halo 2 is a better single player game?"

To which he replied:

"Much better."

link

Credit Phatsaqs on teamxbox
Heh. After I got that answer I just went to bed (as giddy as can be :p)

Gattsu25

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
God CHRIST!!! How sick am I of Halo haters whose very statements against the game prove that they played it blindfolded, if at all. And, guys, I've only been around here about nine months or so, really, I'm sure it used to be much worse.

What is so conventional about Halo's gameplay? Please tell me, cuz, bless me, me and my 80 Halo friends have just been overlooking it.

What was it? The energy shield never seen before? The very useful melee? Grenades at the ready? A two weapon limit? Weapons that you can't reload? AI that acted like what the enemy was 'sposed to be? Great, dependable physics? Multiplayer that nodded strategy over twitch?

What was so goddamn conventional, that your crew was rollin' they eyes "Oh, not this again!!", before going back to COD, the best of the sixty WWII shooters?

Oooh! Wait! Don't answer yet. I know you want to play the level design. I know you said it. I'm calling you out on the tired ass gameplay that bored your friends to tears.

I got a notepad right here, to record your eloquent response. Not even notepad.exe, either, I got real goddamn paper, right here, because I believe that your views on Halo's cookie-cutter gameplay are that important.

Edge of my seat here, B.

:lol
Best. Rant. Ever.

Mrbob

Ramirez said:
Its like 18 days I believe :O

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

I can't wait. There has been only one other game this generation that has been this agonizing in waiting for and that is Ninja Gaiden! Hopefully they don't push the release date back a couple times near release like Tecmo did! :p

I keep thinking, "Holy shit, this game is only a little over two weeks away!" :D

SantaC

Sorry couldn't resist, found it at another board :D

awesome.jpg

teepo

ArcadeStickMonk said:

Edge of my seat here, B.

sorry to break it to you but half-life made every single fps to come out after it conventional, regardless of the quality.

gohepcat

Banned
Code_Link said:
GhaleonEB said:
In case anyone missed it in the 19-page thread over at TeamXBox, Live co-op is in.

crap.jpg

halo2stats.jpg

Oh snap!

I know a lot of you will scoff at my reaction but, this is just unbelievable. For me, the absolute best part of playing Halo was the Co-op. It made a great game outstanding.

Stupid stupid move. How many people on these boards are asking about it? Can you remember any game in history having a feature that so many people are asking for?...and you didn't include it? What the hell?

I know a ton of you are going to jump on me and say it's not important, but it is to me.

Patch this shit...Fix this mistake.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
teepo said:
sorry to break it to you but half-life made every single fps to come out after it conventional, regardless of the quality.

What an incredibly ignorant statement...

I'll leave it to the forum to tear you apart. :)

IJoel

Code_Link said:

And to this I say FUCK YOU BUNGIE.

It IS disappointing that co-op on Live didn't make it, but what IS more disappointing is how Bungie just kept people hanging without a response.

Again, FUCK YOU Bungie for being damn VALVe with the fans.

Bungie respect -100000

Mrbob

And the backlash begins! :lol

I knew it was too good to be true. :( :(

Damn it, Bungie. Seriously, I can't believe it didn't make it in the game. One of the things that has always been talked about on the forums is co-op on Xbox Live! in addition to two players on one box. They did drop the ball here.... I still play a ton of co-op and be lovin it, but at the same time I'm gonna be dissappointed I can't play Co-op over live!

If Serious Sam can get co-op over working online in the single player campaign so can Halo 2...!!

Redbeard

Banned
IJoel said:
And to this I say FUCK YOU BUNGIE.

It IS disappointing that co-op on Live didn't make it, but what IS more disappointing is how Bungie just kept people hanging without a response.

Again, FUCK YOU Bungie for being damn VALVe with the fans.

Bungie respect -100000

Mabye they didn't know if it would make it in themselves?

I would think it could be added later on through Live.

teepo

dark10x said:
What an incredibly ignorant statement...

I'll leave it to the forum to tear you apart. :)

half-life is more then a game, it's a god damn blueprint to so many developers.

SantaC

teepo said:
half-life is more then a game, it's a god damn blueprint to so many developers.

IAWTP. Half-life brought the fps genre to new heights. I thought Quake was something, but Half-life just walked over it.

teepo said:
ONE EMPTY SENTENCE
So, I ask for explicit points, as to what portions of Halo's gameplay should be considered "tediously conventional," and your response is that Halo is conventional because all FPS are conventional, post Half-Life.

Is that a fair summary of your contribution to this discussion?

IJoel

Redbeard said:
Mabye they didn't know if it would make it in themselves?

I would think it could be added later on through Live.

They HAVE weekly status, where they could've announced this when the game went gold. There's simply no excuse.

I am really disappointed, but mainly because I feel I've been somewhat misled (sure, by omission) by Bungie.

teepo

ArcadeStickMonk said:
So, I ask for explicit points, as to what portions of Halo's gameplay should be considered "tediously conventional," and your response is that Halo is conventional because all FPS are conventional, post Half-Life.

Is that a fair summary of your contribution to this discussion?

Halo (adj) - Based on or in accordance with general agreement, use, or practice

Half-Life (adj) - Marked by or resulting in radical change: a revolutionary discovery

IJoel

teepo said:
Halo (adj) - Based on or in accordance with general agreement, use, or practice

Half-Life (adj) - Marked by or resulting in radical change: a revolutionary discovery

Good god, fuck off already.

Redbeard

Banned
IJoel said:
They HAVE weekly status, where they could've announced this when the game went gold. There's simply no excuse.

I am really disappointed, but mainly because I feel I've been somewhat misled (sure, by omission) by Bungie.

Alright, fair enough.

That said, it could still be added through DLC, right? Certainly they know it's something their fans want and the ability to add new content is there.

Top Bottom