• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Seeing this thread pop up made load the game up again. Been ages since I played and I knew I wouldn't still be in the top 15 like I was, but I'm amazed I only got bumped down to 124th.

I really do love this game. It's just such a wonderfully well designed and addictive title and I'm saying all this as someone who never liked any previous Pac game. The only annoying part is I've hit a brick wall in scores and time trials that I just can't improve upon without watching others play and that's not something I wish to do.

Oh well, I still have Free mode to play around with. Seeing how well I can do without turning left, how long can I go without eating a ghost, and other just for the hell of it ideas.

I love this game so much. Not as good as some of the people in this thread, but I'm pretty happy with my performance on some of the levels, especially Spiral!!! ^_^

Won't be playing it for a while now though because I ended up having a huge fight with my wife about it. She had enough, she couldn't take it anymore hearing me eating the ghosts and playing pac-man all the time and she snapped the other day. So I'm gonna lay low for a while till she calms down a bit :p

Roto13

My husband doesn't appreciate Pac-Man noises either. :p Which sucked for him for the few months that I had Pac-Man's death rattle as my incoming text message ringtone.

TruHero

Banned
Finally buying this game today! :)

I already DLed the trial and played it a couple times. Great game. Can't wait to unlock the full game after work today.

TruHero said:
Finally buying this game today! :)

I already DLed the trial and played it a couple times. Great game. Can't wait to unlock the full game after work today.

yup, same here. I bought regular CE and had a lot of fun for like 3 days... then stopped. DX seems worlds better but part of me is worried I won't play. Even if that happens though, for 400 points it'd still be worth it

Roto13

Gryphter said:
yup, same here. I bought regular CE and had a lot of fun for like 3 days... then stopped. DX seems worlds better but part of me is worried I won't play. Even if that happens though, for 400 points it'd still be worth it
Well, CE has much less content than DX. For me, DX is the kind of game I play whenever I have a few minutes to kill these days, three months after its release.

DJ_Tet said:
Couldn't find an XBLA sale thread but this game just went on sale for 400 pts for the week.

This news might deserve it's own thread. I wish I could re-buy it for 400 points, which is a little weird I guess.... but no one should miss out on this.

MrPliskin

Banned
I'll definitely re-buy this on 360. Been playing the PS3 version, and I've been trying (desperately) to break into the top 100 on the CEDX 5 Minute leader board. I'm around 2.03 Mil, and can't seem to break any higher. I really want to hit 2.05 or higher, but it just seems like I'm not making enough time. I'm losing TONS of time on slow down, so I'm still trying to find ways to avoid encounters whenever possible, w/out losing potential ghosts on my chain.

TruHero

Banned
Gryphter said:

Honestly, for $5, if I can get 5hrs of game-time from DX, then I'll be happy. And after playing the trial a couple times, I don't think hitting the 5hr mark will be difficult at all. :)

Seriously, I wanted to buy the game after playing the trial the 1st time. Even the trial was awesome.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
This news might deserve it's own thread. I wish I could re-buy it for 400 points, which is a little weird I guess.... but no one should miss out on this.

I figured there was an XBLA sale thread but couldn't find it (google search for XBLA first hit is a 50 reply topic from 2005........)

bought the game today. One of the best XBLA games of 2010 for sure. It is very addicting, and this is one game where the Leaderboards actually encourage me to try harder.

Stubo

Just bit for 400 points, I never even had a choice...

woodypop said:
It's on sale for 400pts?

It's showing up as 800pts for me. =(

Still in spotlight on the dashboard for me for 50% off

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
woodypop said:
It's on sale for 400pts?

It's showing up as 800pts for me. =(

Gold exclusive deal from what I was reading when I purchased it on xbox.com a moment ago. I'm assuming you're only silver then? :(

woodypop

Zerokku said:
Gold exclusive deal from what I was reading when I purchased it on xbox.com a moment ago. I'm assuming you're only silver then? :(
Yeah, but thanks for the info. I happen to have a Gold card waiting in the wings. =)

I loved the demo of this game and waited patiently for this sale but holy shit!
I must have played that demo at least 15 times but it did not prepare me in any way for how awesome the entire package of this game is. There are so many modes and ways to play this game. I really didn't realize. I probably would have just paid full price at release if I had known.

Either way, I'm really happy to finally have this awesome game. Everyone should buy this while it's on sale!

iavi

Just picked it up during it's sale this week... This shit is amazing. You have to pull yourself away.

ghibli99

Haha... my wife's definitely got it bad. A few weeks ago, she was barely scraping 600k. Today, she's getting close to passing me up at nearly 1.8mil!

Adam J.

Could they possibly release Battle Royale as DLC?

Played it on iOS with my girlfriend on a small ass screen and it still ruled, hard.

ghibli99

MAN... I was so close to finally breaking into 2mil territory tonight. It was crazy... I could *feel* it too, and I got nervous during the last 15 seconds or so. Totally choked! LOL I love this game. :)

MrPliskin

Banned
ghibli99 said:
MAN... I was so close to finally breaking into 2mil territory tonight. It was crazy... I could *feel* it too, and I got nervous during the last 15 seconds or so. Totally choked! LOL I love this game. :)

I tried for WEEKS to break 2 Million (PSN) and when I finally did, it was extremely unexpected. I had been awake for about 27 hours (pulled an all nighter for an engineering exam) and just decided to play for a few minutes before I slipped into a coma. I didn't even realize I had surpassed 2 mil until I was ready to shut it off, lol. Crazy business for sure.

I know one thing, very few games make my heart pound like this one. The intensity of racing against the clock when time is ticking away and you're fighting for a few extra thousand points...MAN. I love it.

I missed out on the first pacman championship release but now after playing this I kind of wish that I never did, game is fuck awesome and up there with geowars 2 for best xbla game for me. Really clever reinvention of pacman, love it.

ghibli99

^^^ Yeah, I'm a pretty hardcore OG Pac-Man fan since I grew up with it in the early '80s, but even I have to admit that it's difficult to play after spending time w/ CE DX.

MrPliskin said:
I tried for WEEKS to break 2 Million (PSN) and when I finally did, it was extremely unexpected. I had been awake for about 27 hours (pulled an all nighter for an engineering exam) and just decided to play for a few minutes before I slipped into a coma. I didn't even realize I had surpassed 2 mil until I was ready to shut it off, lol. Crazy business for sure.

I know one thing, very few games make my heart pound like this one. The intensity of racing against the clock when time is ticking away and you're fighting for a few extra thousand points...MAN. I love it.
Haha! That's great... yeah, if I think too hard about it when I'm playing, I mess up really bad. Also do bad after a big meal when my reaction time just isn't where it should be. :)

I also can't seem to play well unless I have it on BGM 1. It's my favorite song, and love the way it builds up... I'm amazed I haven't gotten sick of it yet. LOL

Nikashi

Banned
WOO! New high score, ranked top 20 on XBL now (27 with hacked scores)

2,127,470 :D

Will try to get a youtube vid of it up soon :D

Just bought this during the sale. I gotta say, it's pretty freakin sweet. My only complaint is that the achievements seem way too easy; other than that, I'm loving this!

ghibli99

divisionbyzorro said:
Just bought this during the sale. I gotta say, it's pretty freakin sweet. My only complaint is that the achievements seem way too easy; other than that, I'm loving this!
Yeah, the same was true for regular Pac-Man CE. Humorously, these are the only 2 games where I have all the achievements...

tuco11

Picked it up this week and loving it. Any tips for a noob getting to the 1 million point score mark(5 minute score attack)? I been playing it on normal and my best so far is 860,000. Championship II course.

thanks!

tuco11 said:
Picked it up this week and loving it. Any tips for a noob getting to the 1 million point score mark(5 minute score attack)? I been playing it on normal and my best so far is 860,000. Championship II course.

thanks!
ghosts are your points maker, grabbing pellets quickly to change the maze around spawns new ghosts in, just make your train uber long and then munch all 60 ghosts for profit.

ghibli99

FINALLY broke into the 2mil club (2,010,150). My wife was watching and yelled "YEAH!" when it happened. I freaked out a bit and probably missed a few ghosts at the end as a result. LOL This game continues to be a rush!

Nikashi

Banned
Diablohead said:
ghosts are your points maker, grabbing pellets quickly to change the maze around spawns new ghosts in, just make your train uber long and then munch all 60 ghosts for profit.

Max chain is 30, any other ghosts get 'destroyed', just fyi.

ghibli99

Finally cracked into the top 100 (w/o those bogus scores, of course). Late-game strategies/patterns are starting to feel more natural, although I still get really nervous during the last 30-45 seconds. :)

MrPliskin

Banned
That stinks that the XBL boards are fudged up like that :( I haven't encountered any of that on PSN yet.

What constitutes top 100 on XBL? I'm at 113 right now with 2.037Mil, trying HARD to get to 2.05, seems like it's going to take a lot more work. I'm loosing too much time to slow down right now, I really need to work on memorizing some more patterns.

Tunavi said:
XBLA sale ends tonight, does anyone want to convince me to buy this for 5 bucks?

ncmrl.jpg

MrPliskin

Banned
Tunavi said:
XBLA sale ends tonight, does anyone want to convince me to buy this for 5 bucks?

It's the best $5 you'll spend this year (on an XBLA title). Seriously, even if you only play through the maps once, it's still tons of fun, and I'm blown away by how different each map feels compared to the last. Each one requires mastery to make it into top 100, very competitive.

Sucks that the 48hr Trials don't count as "gold" so I don't think I can get the sale :(

Top Bottom