• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

RC

Banned
Just got all the trophies. Although completing all the time trials should be gold instead of silver, its the hardest one to get.
This game is so damn addicting. Loving half so far, even managed to crack the top 20 once. Think its down to 71 now, time to shave off a few more seconds.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Haha, I agree. The clear all time trial modes for every course should have been gold. It takes the most work and frankly, some of the later ones are crazier than surviving 5/10 minutes for Score Attack. Odd choice for trophy category if you ask me.

RC

Banned
The Darkness time trial's alone are tougher then any of the score attack's. Playing Half in the dark, definitely harder then I thought.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finished everything. Now 408/27925. Time to start chipping away at the boards. :D

Darkness Half is bullshit. :p

Roto13

k.rad said:
I only just cottoned on to the 30 ghost maximum for the ghost train -- thanks to the Namco news feature -- and I wish it was easier to tell when you're at the limit. Maybe if the train changed colour or something. It's too damn hard to notice the ghost's eyeballs bouncing off the train when you're speeding, though I did only start looking for it today. Does anyone have a recommendation for a visual setting that makes it easier to notice?
The ghosts stop making that sound when they start disappearing instead of hitching onto your train.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Booted up the game today after a few days without playing, and I'd dropped from 34th to 45th. Worse, the friend of mine who is kinda my Pac-Man "rival" had jumped up to 33rd place. Played for a while, managed to jump up to 30th. :D

Seriously, the leaderboards just completely make the game. Love score-chasing so much.

Do the time trials affect your place in the overall leaderboards, though?

Erebus

I bought the game yesterday from the PSN, it's certainly more addicting than crack. :D
I noticed that I don't have enough friends on the leaderboards, so feel free to add me if you want.

Darkuss88

Roto13

DarkUSS said:
I bought the game yesterday from the PSN, it's certainly more addicting than crack. :D
I noticed that I don't have enough friends on the leaderboards, so feel free to add me if you want.

Darkuss88

I'm totally adding you because I have one PSN friend on the leaderboards and it makes me sad.

feelin' pretty good...just opened up Championship I and I'm rated 144th on my first run. It was my first 'S' Rank run. Pretty cool that my replay is up there :D

anyone else playing feel free to add me:

PSN: MikeE21286

jett

D-Member
I'm now the proud owner of this thanks to minty! Played for about an hour, it's really really awesome.

mintylurb

jett said:
I'm now the proud owner of this thanks to minty! Played for about an hour, it's really really awesome.
It feels good to help out folks who live in 5th world countries..;) I keed! Long live Fujimori!

Edgeward

gutter_trash said:
what's the easiest 10 minute Score map to reach 200,000?

I'm guessing you mean 2 mil

Junction or Highway, got past 2 mil on both of those on my first try without much trying.

RC

Banned
Been trying to get an S rank on all the maps. Much easier said then done. Oh and feel free to add me on PSN: RC_3k.
I need someone to compete against.

Bought this game earlier today on PSN (along with Wipeout Fury) and have played about seven levels or so. Man, this game is an absolute joy to play. I am honestly amazed I paid $10 for something this awesome. Especially like being able to swap the visual styles.

JRW

Wow they did a great job modernizing Pac-man, Tons of fun.

After viewing this thread I tried the analog stick for awhile and it's definately a lot better, It was feeling a little clumsy with the d-pad (PS3 ver).

After putting in a little more time and clearing all of Championship 2 just now I think this might be one of the most fun I have had in a game in a long time. It almost makes me feel high playing it, if that makes any sense. :lol Time Trial (Short 10) was pretty intense though, which is probably nothing compared to what is to come. When things really start to speed up I am almost scared to look to see if I have any bombs or how much fruit I need to collect.

I should probably stop for the night, but don't want to. My mind is telling me to do "just one more".

k.rad

Neo Member
Well I thought I might have been done with this game, but after a couple of days break the leaderboards got their claws back into me when I fired it up again. I got myself back into the 5 minute top ten on Manhattan, and finally cracked two million on Dungeon, but it seems that two mil ain't quite enough for a top ten place there anymore o.0

I'm curious how much higher the scores can go.

Roto13 said:
The ghosts stop making that sound when they start disappearing instead of hitching onto your train.

Ah, thanks, that helps a bit, but it's still very hard to notice unless you're really concentrating. I suppose it doesn't matter a great deal on the 5min score attack, because you generally know when enough ghosts are on the train if you're scoring well. [edit: I think the game would be better if there was a noticeable sound after you hit the maximum ghost chain instead of the useless loud sound to alert you when you gain another bomb though]

JRW said:
I tried the analog stick for awhile and it's definately a lot better, It was feeling a little clumsy with the d-pad (PS3 ver).

Agreed. I find it easier to move and react faster and smoother with the thumbstick, and the d-pad feels too 'slow'.

GrumpyAlien said:
It almost makes me feel high playing it, if that makes any sense.

hah... yeah, it does. The game puts me in a sort of zen like trance sometimes, but also often has me yelling obscenities as I quickly hit the select button twice.

PSN: k4Y-R4d

RyanDG

I finally broke 2 mil in the 5 min championship 2 mode.

I'm sitting at #3 right now for the leaderboard for that 5 min Championship 2 course on the PS3 version of the game. I really need to start playing a few of the other boards a little bit more. I just like Championship 2 a little too much. ;)

I tried to tell my wife how excited I was to be #3, but she just didn't care, so I'll have to brag here.

If anyone else wants to add me - my PSN id is ryandg82

I'm happy to fill up my friends leaderboard with people from GAF.

k.rad

Neo Member
RyanDG said:
I'm sitting at #3 right now for the leaderboard for that 5 min Championship 2 course on the PS3 version of the game.

Well done. Championship II seems to be very tightly contended, with two mil' needed to even break into the top 20 (I think) last time I looked.

I really need to start playing a few of the other boards a little bit more. I just like Championship 2 a little too much. ;)

I have the same trouble with Manhattan atm -- that and Dungeon are all I've really spent any significant time on, apart from running through all of the modes and mazes when I first started. I managed to claw my way back up to sixth place, but I'm at a point now where the game has become a bit of a love/hate affair, and trying to beat my last score has been providing mucho frustrationado o_0

Could anyone post the number one scores on XBLA for Manhattan and Dungeon for 5 minute score attack? I'm curious whether they're much different to the PS3 boards.

RyanDG

k.rad said:
...providing mucho frustrationado o_0

I know this feeling. I have an issue where I basically restart the game as soon as I make even a slight miscue. I've been forcing myself to play through the bad runs a bit more frequently now, but the same feeling I get when I try to all chain Ikaruga is what I'm getting with Pacman CE DX right now. I have a love/hate relationship with Ikaruga, so I'm presuming that as time goes on I'm going to be right in the same feeling with Pacman.

I'm in the top 20% (around 3,500/57,000 approx.) and I feel pretty good as someone who has never really played the 'real' Pac-Man. I have one question - how do you get better at it? Is it all about locking down memorisation of fruit spawns etc?

RyanDG

MarshMellow96 said:
I have one question - how do you get better at it? Is it all about locking down memorisation of fruit spawns etc?

Learning patterns and optimizing the routes for time is the big thing. The second thing would be just practicing your cornering since just like the previous pac-man games, depending on when you begin your turns you get a slight arc where it actually allows you to speed up faster through the corners.

RyanDG

MarshMellow96 said:
I've just seen that some guy has around 3.5-8 million on 5 minute CII. Is that legit?

On the Xbox 360 version? Was there a video up of it? Any chance it may have accidentally been on the 10 minute ranking rather than the 5 minute ranking in your leaderboard settigns? I don't consider myself the end all of pacman players but I know 5 minute CE2 pretty well (at least I think so), and I have no idea how in the world a score of over 3 million on 5 min CE2 could be possibly legit.

RyanDG said:
On the Xbox 360 version? Was there a video up of it? Any chance it may have accidentally been on the 10 minute ranking rather than the 5 minute ranking in your leaderboard settigns? I don't consider myself the end all of pacman players but I know 5 minute CE2 pretty well (at least I think so), and I have no idea how in the world a score of over 3 million on 5 min CE2 could be possibly legit.

There's no video of it up. He seems to have a lot of 'number 1 in the world'-type things on his profile...

omg this GAME!! Just tried the demo for the first time, bought it immediately afterward. I was laughing out loud the first time I chained a line of ghosts! :lol

Fabulous fabulous game!

Carry on with your detailed discussions, I've got to play some more :D

Roto13

According to the new Namco Generations thingy, holding down the bomb button cuts the game speed in half. Secret!

#1 in the Half course in both the short and long time trials. Only 1 guy left that competes with me and he/she won't stop beating me every day...and I do the same right back. Give up. You lose. Stop making me play this game daily and beat me old score by .05 seconds!

It's too bad the other short trials were such a waste and a complete loss of potential! Half is the only course that doesn't have random roaming ghosts and super obvious paths. It's all about problem solving in the half course and I love it! The other courses are just trial and error. "Oh, I guess the red ghost won't let me take this path. I guess I'll have to try another...sigh." I don't have the patience for that.

k.rad

Neo Member
Mr. B Natural said:
"Oh, I guess the red ghost won't let me take this path. I guess I'll have to try another...sigh." I don't have the patience for that.

Yeah, the 5 minute score attack is a bit like that until the speed ramps up and mistakes start being made. It'd be awesome if there was a full time, full speed mode. I haven't played for a while now as I started getting sick of playing through what became the boring, slow start, then hitting reset whenever I made a mistake and going through the slowness again... and again.

Full time, full max 50 speed five minute score attack... man that'd be sweet.

k.rad said:
Yeah, the 5 minute score attack is a bit like that until the speed ramps up and mistakes start being made. It'd be awesome if there was a full time, full speed mode. I haven't played for a while now as I started getting sick of playing through what became the boring, slow start, then hitting reset whenever I made a mistake and going through the slowness again... and again.

Full time, full max 50 speed five minute score attack... man that'd be sweet.

You think it's bad with DX, you should try the original CE. Restarts after a mistake were a bitch on that. Starting games speed was wayyyyy slow. Letting you choose the difficulty/beginning speed is actually a nice refinement in this version.

I don't disagree though - a max speed mode would be killer.

McLovin

This game is crack.. I was just gonna play a few rounds and a few hours the only reason I got off was because my ps3 froze.

Epcott

I had fun playing until I watched some of the Hi Score vids... seriously, you can rape this game with patterns. I may need some time to unseen it so I can just kick back and have fun again.

(sad face)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Finally.

S-ranked my final maze (Championship I, what a pain) and 100% trophies.

Incredible game. In the official voting thread, I chose it for my GotY.

Now, please, Namco... bring me Pac-man CE for PSP (to North America). Thank you.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
No freezes here and I've had the game since it was released on PS3. People have reported freezes in this thread, though. Try and beat my score on Championship II, punk! :D

jvm

Gamasutra.
crispyben said:
Anybody getting freezes with this game? I just had twice on PS3, on different mazes...
Got my first freeze last night on PS3. I've probably put 12+ hours into it, though, so really not that upset.

Fixed1979

I just wanted to say how fucking great this game is. I was a little hesitant to buy it at first because it's Pac-Man, I mean nothing against Pac-Man or anything but I just really didn't care. What a blast I've been having, my biggest accomplishment so far was managing to crack the top 200 in 10minute Highway (although I think I dropped out of the 200 since I did it).

I'm just spending time going through each course and trying to raise my "rating" to at least 'A'. I'm a little disappointed that they don't have replays for the time trials or times for individual trials, but other than that no complaints.

Note: PS3 version - No freezing since purchase. Using new slim.

I bought this as my xmas present...

got the 2mil award on first try in Championship 2 10min score attack and finished the other modes there too. Moved on to Highway.

Shit rules!

Lince

Banned
so in the settings menu, what's the "Resume" option for ?

I just played my first game (5 minutes time trial) and I unlocked 5 trophies, good times :lol

I just decided to play this again last night, hoping to get through all the time trials. Man, there's so many of them that it's gonna take me forever. Kind of a good thing, I suppose.

Top Bottom