• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

conman

Finally picked this up and blasted through it in a day to get all the trophies. Great game. Two minor complaints:

The first is that the leaderboards are ridiculously complex. I like that you get a real-time ranking in the game menus, but browsing the actual leaderboards is a serious pain in the ass. And there's no easy way to compare your scores to friends'.

The second is that the time trials feel "solvable." What I mean is that there's a right way to do them, and the ghosts will respond in the exact same way each time. Feels more like an exercise in memorization than in skill. Score attack seems like it might hold my interest more over time, but even that is susceptible to rote memorization.

Just got all the finished all the levels & got the last trophy there, now my overall ranking (before the last update) is 902. Gonna fight for TOP-100 spot, haven't even tried to improve my scores yet

Wow the gameplay in this is incredible (demo). So much fun, right up there with Space Invaders IG. I think I will buy this tomorrow, just hope there's enough content to keep me busy for a bit and justify $10.

In Top 500 now. Just need to improve my main scores on Championship II and Darkness. I also kind of suck in Ghost Combo so those will take lot of time to get S-ranks

Nert

McLovin said:
I'm getting close to that 2 million mark on the Championship 2 5 min board.

I'm stuck at around 1.85 million. I need to start working on leading ghost trains into the bunches of static ghosts more consistently.

Just thought this was a nice write-up. Kill Screen is a great read.

In short order, Pac-Man finds himself tearing through a darkened dungeon trailed by a Technicolor train of doom, thirty shimmering ghosts trying and failing to catch the jaundiced maw. Row after row of dots is devoured, fruit bonuses are consumed; and the game gets faster, faster, faster until it is practically skipping across its own surface tension. The walls of the labyrinth are pulsing. There is house music playing. Ten more ghosts awaken and join their friends, and the longer the ghost-train grows, the harder it becomes to chart a course to safety.

http://www.killscreenmagazine.com/articles/onward-pac-man

Nessus

Bought this last night finally.

Soooo satisfying to eat huge ghost trains.

I like games like this and Space Invaders Extreme, which take the classic formula, and play with it.

So I was wondering if there is a rather simple arcade stick I could use for this (PS3 version)? I am not looking for anything fancy but am looking to see if it makes much of a difference.

Piano

Banned
Finally picked this game up last week. Absolutely loving it! The board designs are so clever and keep the gameplay interesting - I played the 'half' trials for the first time last night and they have such interesting layouts.

Wish the achievements had been a bit harder, though - got all of them within a couple hours of gameplay.

Nikashi

Banned
Holy CRAP there are some cheaters on XBL Championship 2 board, scores in the BILLIONS but with a replay showing extremely low scores. Reported all of em for it >:|

mollipen

Nikashi said:
Holy CRAP there are some cheaters on XBL Championship 2 board, scores in the BILLIONS but with a replay showing extremely low scores. Reported all of em for it >:|

Not necessarily a cheater. The original CE's #1 on the main leaderboards was a glitch, and I wouldn't put it past Namco to have leaderboard glitches in DX as well.

Nikashi

Banned
shidoshi said:
Not necessarily a cheater. The original CE's #1 on the main leaderboards was a glitch, and I wouldn't put it past Namco to have leaderboard glitches in DX as well.

The scores for 3 of them were 1,337,013,370

They're fucking cheaters :p

Kujo

Loving this game but - what is up with the Spiral rankings on the XBLA version? In the stage select menu, everything else has probably at least 30k+ rankings on the board, but the Spiral stage only has about 4,000 (yet the score attack in this level has over 30k played).

Nikashi

Banned
BTW, I was wrong about those cheater's scores, they're actually 1,337,001,337, making them absolutely confirmed cheat scores since it's impossible to get '7' as the last score digit being the lowest scoring item in the game is 10pts (A single pellet with no multiplier active), not to mention the obvious 1337 (LEET) numbering.

Also, w000t just scored 2,018,650 in champ 2 :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I love this game.

ghibli99

This is currently my favorite game... it's so much fun, and I'm thoroughly addicted. I think it's by far the best version of Pac-Man that I've ever played. Going back to even CE is really tough.

And yeah, the bogus scores on the leaderboards is unfortunate. Wow, 2mil on the Champ II board! I'm closing in on 1.6mil, but that's on a good night. :p

Championship 2 is the only board I am not very good at... I am easily in the top 250 overall though and could easily climb up at least 50-75 places just by playing 10 min score attack but I am little burnout by this game now

Nikashi

Banned
2,066,000 on Champ 2 now :D Started trying to push my score in Highway and Dungeon now, but still wanna see if I can hit 2.1 mill and break into top 50 worldwide (69th right now, bogus scores included).

Nikashi

Banned
2,089,800!! Broke top 50 if you take out illegitimate scores :) (#56 on leaderboards).

Come on isn't anyone else trying to push their score higher? This thread is all dead lately :/

ghibli99

2mil is my goal... last night I got within about 35-40k, so I'm getting close! I know exactly where I'm losing time, too, but sometimes things just don't fall into the right place, I make a wrong turn, etc. It's definitely the most thrilling game I've played recently, and even my wife can't get enough of it. She's currently at over 1.4mil, so she's no slouch at this either. :)

TxdoHawk

What makes me smile about this game is that the insane competition in 5 min. Score Attack on Championship II is a game's worth of game by itself...and then you have all the other stages and time trials too. This is up there with Catan and Ticket to Ride in the list of "XBLA games I have more than gotten my money's worth out of".

jvm

Gamasutra.
ghibli99 said:
2mil is my goal... last night I got within about 35-40k, so I'm getting close! I know exactly where I'm losing time, too, but sometimes things just don't fall into the right place, I make a wrong turn, etc. It's definitely the most thrilling game I've played recently, and even my wife can't get enough of it. She's currently at over 1.4mil, so she's no slouch at this either. :)
I've been polishing my scores. I'm a mere #522 overall (as shown on the title screen) on the PS3 version. I'm still at 1.74m on Championship II for the 5-minute trial and around 2.9m on the 10-minute trial.

I wish there were replay options for everything.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I can only rank till 6k. :(

Guess I need more practice.

ghibli99

TxdoHawk said:
What makes me smile about this game is that the insane competition in 5 min. Score Attack on Championship II is a game's worth of game by itself...and then you have all the other stages and time trials too. This is up there with Catan and Ticket to Ride in the list of "XBLA games I have more than gotten my money's worth out of".
Totally... it's a game I think about a lot when I'm not playing. It's almost disheartening thinking about trying to master the other courses, but at the same time, it goes to show just how much content and replayability this game has. Definitely money well spent... more so than most $60 games I've bought in the last few years.

ghibli99

Wasn't able to push past my high score last night. I'm guessing the giant V-Day dinner and two big glasses of wine didn't help whatsoever!

Nikashi

Banned
ghibli99 said:
Oh man, came within about 13k of hitting 2mil... 4 or 5 freakin' 3200pt ghosts! So close. Hopefully tomorrow!

My big ah-hah moment came when I realized quick backtracking to avoid a slowdown buys you A LOT of time. Also you gotta figure out what patterns you can start skipping on. I have no issues if anyone wants to watch my run for ideas, even though my best run currently has me spazzing out in the last 5 seconds because I beat my high score and didn't realize how much more time I had left haha.

ghibli99

Nikashi said:
My big ah-hah moment came when I realized quick backtracking to avoid a slowdown buys you A LOT of time. Also you gotta figure out what patterns you can start skipping on. I have no issues if anyone wants to watch my run for ideas, even though my best run currently has me spazzing out in the last 5 seconds because I beat my high score and didn't realize how much more time I had left haha.
Haha! I've watched a few of the replays just to give me some ideas on where I can save time. I've noticed that yeah, just a few quick backtracks or moves to attract ghosts so that they don't get in your way later can make a huge difference in how much time certain boards take to clear. The worst one on ChampII is the one with the 4 capital-F shaped patterns of dots... sometimes I can clear all of those dots with no problem, and sometimes it seems like the ghosts know what I'm going to do and they end up getting in my way and I waste a lot of time. At that point, I usually hit Back twice to restart. LOL

That's what keeps me coming back, though... the smallest variation in your game can totally change it, so I rarely feel like I'm going through the motions once my game speed has hit 50 and I'm around the 3 or 4 minute mark.

Again, best Pac-Man game I've ever played, and it's easily my favorite game at the moment.

Nikashi

Banned
Does anyone here who has the 360 version have the ability to capture footage in HD or at least so it would look good on youtube? I kinda wanna make my run my first Youtube upload. Lemme know in PM if you can do it, thanks.

ghibli99

1.987mil seems to be a wall I can't break through. I *know* where I can save time, but sometimes you get blocked or you miss a turn. Crazy frustrating late in the game, but I think that's what keeps me coming back to keep trying. :)

ghibli99 said:
1.987mil seems to be a wall I can't break through. I *know* where I can save time, but sometimes you get blocked or you miss a turn. Crazy frustrating late in the game, but I think that's what keeps me coming back to keep trying. :)

Yeah you have to be perfect. Man this game...

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm happy enough to have raised my overall position to nearly #300. (Ranking shown on title screen, PS3 version.)

Nikashi

Banned
ghibli99 said:
Very nice! You helped me identify one major time-saving area that I completely spaced on. Only a few very minor errors up until the final few screens, but seriously man, great skills and a very good run! I'm inspired now to break that 2mil barrier that's been eluding me for the past week or so. :)

Yeah I made 2 major mistakes right near the end, and at the VERY end I ended up spazzing a bit because I didn't realize I beat my previous high score lol.

Top Bottom