• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

SpacLock said:
I'm now #16 in Championship II, but I plan on being in the top ten in a few. You guys need to compete on this board with me! We need more GAF representing on Championship II!
Im #37 and working my way up :) whats your GT?

dralla said:
watch replays of top guys. that's what i did and it helped a lot
This right here. Thats how I learned. Just dont die and maximize your conga line! Try not to use bombs either or do the slow mo deal.

Adding you Spac!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
one of the things i loved about ms pac man / pac man ce is the "close calls" - the flair is diminished in this game because of the slow down

still a great game, though

TxdoHawk

jon bones said:
one of the things i loved about ms pac man / pac man ce is the "close calls" - the flair is diminished in this game because of the slow down

I can see that, I love it personally though. Bullet time in this game makes me feel like some kind of Pac-Man god (Pac-God?)

andymcc

Banned
jon bones said:

at the same time, you can be penalized even more for making the wrong moves during the slow down. i think it works pretty effectively.

Kuroyume

Banned
Incredible game Pac-Man CE team does it again.

It's way more packed than CE. Nice to see the skins options make its way from Galaga Legions. Sure that wasn't in CE.

Turn on rumble if you haven't. I think it was off be default but I turned it on and it's sweet when you eat a chain of ghosts.

andymcc said:
at the same time, you can be penalized even more for making the wrong moves during the slow down. i think it works pretty effectively.
Nothing worse than getting trapped, hoping the ghost in your way will turn at the next intersection, realizing they aren't budging, and having to throw out a bomb.

So not only have a good 3-5 seconds been wasted but that bomb gave your score a good hard kick in the nards. It's almost worse than dying really.

Man I hope I get these car troubles straightened out soon. I need to get my mind off of outside interference so I can focus on whats important(my rank in Pacman CE DX).

OK, for anyone reading this thread standing on the sidelines about a purchase, I was right there with you...

But I bought it last night and holy shit. I played it for HOURS. It's amazing. Don't hesitate even if you think, "Oh hey, it's Pac-Man. How much fun could it REALLY be?"

The game just instills pure joy. There's something about the combination of trippy nightclub music and lightshows with combos exploding and chains going off and sparkly shit warping in at literally every second that makes you feel like you're inside some kind of totally immersive classic gaming/audio-visual sensory experience. I'm not explaining it very well but it is the pure distilled essence of blissed-out fun.

Someone on another thread mentioned that they found themselves entering some kind of mini-zen state where they were thinking moves ahead to the point that they kind of lost track of their Pac-Man even though they knew exactly where he was. I had the same feeling. You have to play the game to understand it. :lol

DEADEVIL

Gary Whitta said:
Someone on another thread mentioned that they found themselves entering some kind of mini-zen state where they were thinking moves ahead to the point that they kind of lost track of their Pac-Man even though they knew exactly where he was. I had the same feeling. You have to play the game to understand it. :lol

:lol That's how I felt about the last one..I logged on late last night and saw the IGN review and was jumping for joy..

Can't wait to download this tonight..life is good:D

see5harp

Iron E Man said:
Was about to download the demo and then I noticed that I got those 800msp from last months deal...best day ever.

Same here :)

Music is this game is fantastic. Less minimal than than Pixeljunk Eden, less "cock in your face" than Geometry Wars. Played for 2 hours straight after turning off Hot Pursuit "for bedtime."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
riceandbeans said:
Game is fuck awesome, but is anyone having troubles with the analog stick on the higher speeds?

Yes, god yes. I was terrified because I am 30 years old, perhaps this is the first sign...but hooray it's not just me!

Shearie

One thing I've been wondering, did the original Pac-Man creator, Toru Iwatani, work on this game like he did with the original Pac-Man CE?

Yeah at highspeed's I lose control sometimes. You just have to really focus. I am going to bust out the joystick when I get home tonight to see how it plays.

Dave Long

Banned
InfectedZero said:
Yeah at highspeed's I lose control sometimes. You just have to really focus. I am going to bust out the joystick when I get home tonight to see how it plays.
I played the original with a joystick and it just didn't seem to control right. They tuned these games for the analog stick, not digital input.

I'll try one of my sticks again tonight, though.

Shearie said:
One thing I've been wondering, did the original Pac-Man creator, Toru Iwatani, work on this game like he did with the original Pac-Man CE?
i don't believe so. i believe he retired after CE.

The colors...the music, so good.

I love this game. 2hrs goes by so fast. I can't break a million in 5m mode, but I'm close.

Random question: the music on the main menu, is that available during gameplay?

Adam J.

They should have called this game Pac-Gasm.

Man...I've got Pac Man fever so bad, it's not even funny. Any word yet on Pac Man Battle coming out for consoles? That game looks like a blast.

GhaleonEB

It's sort of maddening knowing there's a theoretical maximum, a perfect run for each board and mode, and that I'll never come close because I'm not mathematically dexterous enough to pull it off. But I'll be damned if it's not fun as hell to try. And try. And try.

Azar

GhaleonEB said:
It's sort of maddening knowing there's a theoretical maximum, a perfect run for each board and mode, and that I'll never come close because I'm not mathematically dexterous enough to pull it off. But I'll be damned if it's not fun as hell to try. And try. And try.
Seriously. I got in the top 5% of Short Time Trials on Championship II, and I dunno if I'll ever do better than that at any other mode. :lol

Azar said:
Seriously. I got in the top 5% of Short Time Trials on Championship II, and I dunno if I'll ever do better than that at any other mode. :lol
just watch the replays and learn the pattern and after that it's about luck and turning the corners. ;D i was stuck at 1.4/1.5 million and when i watched i learned how to do the later parts of the game and got to 1.8 million.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jimmy Stav said:
Do you get more points for playing on Expert? If not, what's the point?

Expert doesn't start fast enough. Should be faster. They need to make Expert++ :lol

If you're not playing on Expert, don't expect to get a top score

RedSwirl

RedSwirl said:
Can you still play OG Pac-Man in this? Also, what about that old Atari-style stick someone made for the 360 a while ago?

I ask because my mom would go crazy if I showed her this, but she only likes to play Pac old-style - with an arcade stick.

MrDaravon

Somehow made #5 on 10 minute time attack on Championship II o_O

This game is crazy good, I was FIENDING for it all day at work today. Dunno if it was already posted, but apparently the soundtrack is going up on iTunes this month.

Sorry if its been answered, but on the Xbox Live dashboard friends leaderboard, what does that score represent? Just wondering because I am first, and MILES away from second place.

Red

Ahhhh S rank on my first go at Junction. Done for now, I'll try to bring it higher tomorrow.

McShig's score, impressively, is nearly double mine and I'm still in the top 5%. At least it's a target to aim for :lol

keenest

I'm definitely not as good as most of you guys, but I love the game. Over the weekend I'll have to make the effort to watch some of the top scoring replays.

Still it is almost unbelievable to think I've been playing some form of Pac-Man since 1980, when I was just 13 years old.

GT: keenest za

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SailorDaravon said:
Somehow made #5 on 10 minute time attack on Championship II o_O

This game is crazy good, I was FIENDING for it all day at work today. Dunno if it was already posted, but apparently the soundtrack is going up on iTunes this month.

Whaaaa...must buy

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Sorry if its been answered, but on the Xbox Live dashboard friends leaderboard, what does that score represent? Just wondering because I am first, and MILES away from second place.

I think it's the total overall score from all the modes.

No idea how the time trials factor into that but whatevs.

Top Bottom