• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

DMPrince said:
just watch the replays and learn the pattern and after that it's about luck and turning the corners. ;D i was stuck at 1.4/1.5 million and when i watched i learned how to do the later parts of the game and got to 1.8 million.

I'm still a bit turned off by just how memorization-based DX is. Still, once you get into the flow it's truly like a drug.

Kuroyume

Banned
Anyone have any good video for the ghost combo mode on Championship II? For some reason the leaderboards there don't have replays. I managed to get a 77 the first time I played it but I don't know how the hell did it because I can't match it again. I tried just having a long ass ghost line behind me but after a while it stops getting bigger.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Kinda wished leaderboards didnt have replays now. I havent looked at the top player replays yet because it feels like cheating, but it seems like people will just watch and replicate them than finding their own routes.

GhaleonEB

Wario64 said:
Kinda wished leaderboards didnt have replays now. I havent looked at the top player replays yet because it feels like cheating, but it seems like people will just watch and replicate them than finding their own routes.
I like the concept, but yeah, I'm not even looking at replays yet. Less because it feels like cheating, and more because I do want to have a curve of my own, pushing up my score gradually as I learn the boards. That way the game is about my own discovery of the patterns, and not trying to mimic someone else. I think I'll turn to a replay of the top game only when I've maxed out what I think I can do on any given mode.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:

yeah I looked at the top guy and basically that gave me an extra 400,000 on my first turn. I was having difficulty breaking 1mil on the first level in the 5 min and I looked at that and went 'oh'

just knowing what to do after you eat your first train really helps I was running around trying to continue the train indefinitely. It doesn't help.

Yeah the paths are pretty obvious.
You go for the dots and the sleeping ghosts are arranged in such a way that you can tag them all before you get a new part of the maze. Usually when the power-pellets appear there's a nice huge batch of ghosts nearby. You capitalize on that and move on. The main thing is knowing the patterns(which loop btw), following up on them, and keeping track of the movements of the ghosts that aren't directly following you(the other guys do their own thing for the most part and more often than not will not make a serious attempt at attacking you)

In the end it's really all about finesse. It's about taking that path an ironing out every possible error that wastes precious seconds. First you'll focus on not dying(which obviously is the easiest part of the game), then you'll stop bombing, then you'll stop getting dangerously close to ghosts(which slows you down), then you keep track of every little movement so nothing is wasted. You time your power-pellets just right so they run out when you want to build another ghost-train, you know when to break out of a chain you're devouring to get back on the path, and there's so many other little motions that could be tweaked to hit that "perfect" run.

On one hand I can understand the complaints about CE DX being memorization-heavy. That's to be expected though considering the genre(even CE had paths that were pretty well-defined...maybe not out and out obvious but the general idea was there). The only real alternative would be to randomize every game but that would just turn out shitty. The thing is behind every great player there's footage, strategies, and all sorts of other material that helped get them to where they are. A lot of the time with score-based games it becomes a community effort as everyone pools their knowledge together to really get the most out of a game.

Because really what it all comes down to is when you're actually playing the game it's an entirely different story. Sure you may know what works and what doesn't but you have to factor in the pressure and all of the thoughts and feelings that go through your entire body when you're playing. When you're beating that high-score or passing that seemingly insurmountable challenge sometimes it feels like you could lose control at any moment. Pretty soon every part of you is working against you and its a game within itself trying to hold it all together when the slightest mistake could destroy everything.

I would just like to report that using an arcade stick blows. It doesn't work at all. Analog Stick has been working perfectly fine, just exploring other options to see what it feels like. I'm probably going to buy one of those drum kit pads for the hell of it since I've been meaning too. Score was bumped up to the 60's, need to reclaim myself. :D

wondermega

I was a super-fan of CE (very skeptical before playing it) and was certainly looking forward to this. DLd tonight and put in a little playtime. I was skeptical again (the preview videos looked like they might be messing too much with "the rules of Pac-Man"). but overall I am digging the game. Worth the money for sure.

Initial Thoughts:

-Definitely feels weird that they've screwed with "the rules" a bit much. I had that feeling at 1st with CE but got used to it. I'll play more and see if I don't get over it, but honestly this feels even less like a "Pac-Game" in several important ways. Lots of little touches (like you can no longer "near miss" a ghost collision) are ruined with the slow-mo effects, and that doesn't feel good.

-my first thought (in light of slow-mo and "bombs..." what? Bombs in Pac-Man?) is "they have to make this game much easier for the modern gamer" and therefore make it really hard to die. It sucks, I know your score gets adversely affected but I just don't really like how it feels. Pac-Man always worked so well for me because the tool palette was so limited and you had to "make your own gameplay" from that. Now there's a bit too much going on.

-The line of ghosts behind you is cool, but it really just feels like a trail that you can manipulate fairly easily. Again with slow-mo you can jut back towards them and there's no real feeling of "threat" anymore. I guess the game would be very unplayable if there were hundreds of ghosts randomly swarming all over the screen.. I do notice that there's one or two usually who is off on his own, which makes it more interesting.

-I do wish they juiced the score differently, it caps at 3200 very easily whereas in CE that was a lot more fulfilling. It probably isn't very fair to compare the two since the mechanic is now very different, but I feel like if they went sick with it then it could have been even more gratifying. As it is, you're only gonna get your best scores from chasing ghosts anyway. Maybe that would have upset some of the other scoring balances though (fruit would be completely irrelevant and they'd have to change that as well). Never mind, I take it back!!

I loaded up a game of CE after playing DX for a few minutes (I haven't played CE in several months) and was struck by the difference. CE was definitely more fun, more "complete feeling" but DX is something new and I can tell that I am going to have fun putting it through the paces and learning it's nuance.

In spite of my pickiness, obviously I think it's a fun game and has a lot of excellent TLC put into it's production. I do like that it can stand alongside CE as a separate game rather than a "straight sequel," it's a different game. I am exceptionally proud of Namco for being serious about how they handle all of this stuff, by seriously reinventing the Pac-Franchise in this way and riffing with it further, in a way that shows they appreciate the original while still striving for something new and outrageous.

I'll go all-out and say that with these moves, Namco is one of my most-respected videogame developers today in that they do seriously try to cater to what the old-school gamers enjoy, and attempt to bridge them with what is important in modern gaming. I feel like almost no one else is putting such a sincere effort in (this regard), and I look forward to seeing what else they come up with in the future.

fisheyes

I managed to get to #29 (I think it was) in the Spiral Ghost Chain. The fact that the number of Ghosts following can max out is pretty annoying though, I thought I had done it perfectly when I managed to chain, chain chain and finally eat the biggest lot of ghosts provided by the map with 20 secs to go, only to find that the number of ghosts following me was no higher than it was at the 5 minute mark.

Still, loving this game. I'm also S ranked in the Spiral 5 min version, though I suspect I wont be for long.

Sniper McBlaze said:
Should I get this or get the original CE version first?

I buy this, then maybe pick up the original if it goes on sale.

Even though this is a completely different game, it is still a Deluxe (DX) version of the original, so there is no reason to pick up the old one

The old map is in the version anyway (although you have to play it with the new rules)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Keyser Soze said:

Even though this is a completely different game, it is still a Deluxe (DX) version of the original, so there is no reason to pick up the old one

The old map is in the version anyway (although you have to play it with the new rules)
Nah mang, these are two completely different games, really.

Princess Skittles said:
Yeah, they're very different. This does not replace the original, which is a good thing. They're both brilliant in their own way. I can see why some people may rank DX below CE due to the heavy emphasis on memorization, and I think I may come to agree with them once the newness fades, but right now I'm absolutely in love with this game.

DX may have the original CE board but it's not as fun with the new rules. I dunno if I'll ever play it again.

Anyway, even though I think CE may end up being the better game in the long run I'd recommend buying DX first. It's more fun to chase scores when the game's new, I think. Though it is a real downer to come back to the game and find you're 50 spots lower than the night before!

This is the first game I've played where I can see the limitations of the 360's controller. At 50 speed the accuracy of my moves are very critical and have a controller that is 100% reliable is key. I may have to pick up one of those new silver controllers or one of the Mad Catz SFIV controllers.

Nikashi

Banned
Stormwatch said:
This is the first game I've played where I can see the limitations of the 360's controller. At 50 speed the accuracy of my moves are very critical and have a controller that is 100% reliable is key. I may have to pick up one of those new silver controllers or one of the Mad Catz SFIV controllers.

360 controller is just fine, just use the analog stick, not the pad. I SWORE by pad play on Pac Man CE reg, but since I've been using analog it's SO much easier.

For the OT, Eurogamer review: 10/10

To say that this is a must-buy is doing it a disservice; it's a game you'll want to instantly evangelise to anyone with even the vaguest sense of what makes a game good. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX takes everything that made the original so successful, twists and refines it in a relentless and thrilling new direction, and then adds a plethora of new mazes and modes for good measure. When we look back at the great score-attack games of this generation, this will be right up there at the top table. Like Trials HD and Geometry Wars before it, it's touched by true design genius. The hardest part will be knowing when to bloody well stop.
I think they liked it

Stormwatch said:
I've tried the Mad Catz pad and it wasn't nearly as good as analog. None of the arcade stick setups I've tried were any good either. Wario was praising the Mad Catz drum pads earlier. That's probably the pad to get over the new 360 controller.

Hopefully the PS3 version has a demo.

Oh there's Wario with the link. I am too slow!

NekoFever

Man, this game is so good. It's probably the most fun I've had chasing high scores since the original Geometry Wars.

Just got all the achievements, and now I'm convincing friends to buy it so that I have someone to compete against.

Daigoro

the madcatz pad is one of the worst dpads ive ever used. the convex design is moronic and very uncomfortable. seriously who designed this thing? convex, really?

not feeling it at all.

I'm talking about. the drum pad here.

Stormwatch said:
Tried the MadCatz SF4 Pad and its no good. The controls don't feel tight with it.

D_N_G

The worst part about playing PCEDX is that I was so tired after staying up two days in a row playing it that I actually had to go to sleep. Also, look out Bacon muahahaha :D

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Daigoro said:
the madcatz pad is one of the worst dpads ive ever used. the convex design is moronic and very uncomfortable. seriously who designed this thing? convex, really?

not feeling it at all.

I'm talking about. the drum pad here.
It's definitely not what it's been hyped up to be and it is FAR too tiny.. and I have small hands as is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stormwatch said:
Reason I'm waiting for PS3 version.

I've tried the drum pad, an arcade stick and the analog stick with the game and out of them all I make less mistakes with the analog. I don't understand it at all but it works the best for me.

Anyway, awesome game. It's different enough to CE and feels like a new take on Pacman much like CE did at the time. I love how the leaderboards are done with ranks.

mjc

Broke down and bought this last night, and then I look on my email this morning and MS sent me my 800 points from October. Fuuuuck me.

It's worth it though, DX spanks the hell out of CE.

mollipen

Sniper McBlaze said:
Should I get this or get the original CE version first?

As of now, I think original CE is by far the better game. It felt more like a true Pac-man sequel, where as DX feels like a crazy Pac-man mod the fan community came up with. "Buy both" might be the best choice, though.

Jimmy Stav said:
Is there any point to going back and buying the regular CE if you haven't played it?

The fact that it's one of the best XBLA games to exist, and one of the best games this generation period?

dark10x said:
Reason I'm waiting for PS3 version.

I think it is less to do with control and more to do with speed you are moving at. I do think that the slow motion stuff was put in as a fix for people who were having issues with the analogue stick though.

Warm Machine said:
I do think that the slow motion stuff was put in as a fix for people who were having issues with the analogue stick though.

No that isn't it.
All the slow motion stuff protects from is dying(and punishes your time for putting yourself in harm's way). Missing an extremely vital turn is just as likely a scenario and there's nothing to protect from that(unless of course you happen to turn into the path of an oncoming ghost).

Princess Skittles said:

Keyser Soze said:

But I said that

I love this game. 131st on the leaderboard in the CE II 5 minute game.

I really want a PSP version. I would play this all the time if I could, but I didn't like the controls of the iPad one.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Question. Will playing on a 4:3 set affect my enjoyment of the game? Obviously the mazes are designed for widescreen, so how is this handled on a 4:3? Black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? Scrolling maze?

Anyone know?

Seraphis Cain said:
Question. Will playing on a 4:3 set affect my enjoyment of the game? Obviously the mazes are designed for widescreen, so how is this handled on a 4:3? Black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? Scrolling maze?

Anyone know?

CE was letterboxed on 4:3 TVs, so I assume this is the same, but would need to hear from someone else to confirm as I don't play on a 4:3 set anymore.

Nert

This could very well be my favorite game of the year. The feeling I get when taking down a gigantic chain of ghosts is just euphoric.

Between this, Super Meat Boy, and Limbo, it's been another great year for downloadable games.

Added Eurogamer, Game Informer reviews to the OT, plus the Giant Bomb QL. I've gotten such a kick out of some of the things people have said about this game, that I also added a 'selected quotes' to it as well - including some taken from this thread.

Mike M

Nick N
The trial game is sooooooooo maddeningly limited... Such a tantalizing taste...

I want my 800 points so I can unlock this gem, Microsoft!!!

Top Bottom