• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

Michan

I'm #173 and can't better my score, despite trying different strategies. Think I'm going to start watching some replays for some inspiration now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
is there any un-timed mode? i'd nab it in a heart beat if it had some sort of classic pac-man mode. i got bored with CE fairly quickly with the lack of a mode like that (despite loving the shit out of it at the beginning)

acm2000

op_ivy said:
is there any un-timed mode? i'd nab it in a heart beat if it had some sort of classic pac-man mode. i got bored with CE fairly quickly with the lack of a mode like that (despite loving the shit out of it at the beginning)

"free mode" i believe

edit: free mode seems to have 10min timer too so dunno

Kolgar

Why is the PSN release "late"?

I so want to download this to my 360 now, but I've got a PS3-only friend who'll love this and it'll be a blast topping each other's scores.

FFFUUUUU--

Gav

Bought this 2 hours ago, and me and the GF have been sat taking turns since, having a properly good time.

What an incredible little game. Never got CE, so this is all new to us, but its utterly brilliant.

Llyranor

I remember trying the CE demo before. Never really got into it. Didn't really see the appeal.

Tried the demo for this once and instantly bought it right afterwards. Kind of reminds me of GeoWars somewhat. A good thing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man...I want to save my last $10 in PSN money for this, but Scott Pilgrim looks SO tempting. ;_;

I so shouldn't have bought Space Invaders Infinity Gene. So disappointed once I found out how broken the Field weapon is, and how 90% of the players on the rankings used it. Game's not even fun anymore. :(

And to think I could have had Scott Pilgrim AND Pac-Man. I am a sad.

mokeyjoe

Not sure about this. Never really got into CE. It was fine for the odd game now and again but didn't really hold my interest. I'm guessing this is is pretty similar.

The scores are starting to get way out of my reach.
Good!
Now I have an excuse to quit for awhile and play Littlebigplanet.

Was starting to rage anyway.

BGM 2 when the time is running low playing a sample of one of the Pac Man Themes is sublime. (Younger Gaffers might recognise it from one of the Ridge Race Revolution music tracks)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've gotten quite a few S ranks now. I've found that doing all the time trials is actually a good method for pattern training. Afterwards I always do better in score attack.

The game truly is phenomenal.

btw I don't have enough people in my fl playing this, so feel free to add Creamium85

dreamcastmaster said:
BGM 2 when the time is running low playing a sample of one of the Pac Man Themes is sublime. (Younger Gaffers might recognise it from one of the Ridge Race Revolution music tracks)

Indeed. I always use it. It also helps me know when time is running out because you can't miss that theme.

Question: What do you guys think is the real trigger for the sleeping ghosts? Do you have to run the patter exactly? In other words, is there only one way to get them to follow you? I swear I've gone by in the right pattern and they've awakened but haven't come after me. It seems to happen when I don't have any other ghosts following? Are they triggered more by the ghost train than by Pac himself?

RadarScope1 said:
Indeed. I always use it. It also helps me know when time is running out because you can't miss that theme.

Question: What do you guys think is the real trigger for the sleeping ghosts? Do you have to run the patter exactly? In other words, is there only one way to get them to follow you? I swear I've gone by in the right pattern and they've awakened but haven't come after me. It seems to happen when I don't have any other ghosts following? Are they triggered more by the ghost train than by Pac himself?
They always follow me after I speed past them (doesn't seem to matter which way I go), the only time they wont, is for a few seconds after using a bomb. Maybe thats what happing to you?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
RadarScope1 said:
An 'alpha' ghost needs to pass for them to join. If there's 0-1 of the random pattern ghosts (the ones that spawn from the ghost box) in play, the first sleeping ghost you pass will become that alpha themselves. But if there's a bunch of random pattern ghosts in play, and none of them are passing by the sleeping ghosts, those sleeping ghosts will awaken but just sit there.
rhino4evr said:
There is so much love in this game. It makes the first game completely obsolete.
Incorrect. Drastically different games.

Shig said:
An 'alpha' ghost needs to pass for them to join. If there's 0-1 of the random pattern ghosts (the ones that spawn from the ghost box) in play, the first sleeping ghost you pass will become that alpha themselves. But if there's a bunch of random pattern ghosts in play, and none of them are passing by the sleeping ghosts, those sleeping ghosts will awaken but just sit there.

That's what I thought. So that's why, at the very beginning of a round, the sleepers will follow you, but they won't always so so in mid-round. If you're in mid round and you bomb the train back into the box, you'll need to run by the box and re-engage the train before resuming the pattern. In my case - especially at high speed - I usually just keep on pattern and it only takes a few seconds for the train to find Pac anyway.

And, no, it doesn't make the last game obsolete - it's just different. I still love the old CE.

skyfinch

Nothing new but this Xbox controller sucks ass for this type of game. Once the game starts to speed up pacman begins to have mind of is own thanks to the controller.

Billmaan

Neo Member
Shig said:
This is close, but not exactly correct. It doesn't matter how many "random" ghosts are in play. If there's no ghost chain following you, then the first sleeping ghost you pass by will start a new chain. Otherwise, sleeping ghosts you wake up will just sit there until the chain passes them, at which point they'll join it.

The "random" ghosts behave similarly. When you pass near them, they get "scared"; if they run into the chain while scared, they'll join it (and a new ghost will spawn in their place).

Gigglepoo

Damn you, Wario! I finally climbed to the top of my own leaderboard on Championship II and you have to crush my meager dreams in a heart beat. It's on now.

samratty

I did like Pac-Man CE but wasn't a huge fan like many others, but this is simply incredible. Perhaps some of the best Space bucks I've ever spent.

Mindlog

This game is pretty good. This will probably be the first console game I ever double dip on. I have to be certain that I can play it on either machine.

I'm thinking about picking up CE as well now, but it's going to take some time to be finished with DX.

Mike M

Nick N
plagiarize said:
i didn't play the first much, but aside from the 'slow down' effect how different exactly is the CE1 table in DX to the original CE?
The board isn't that different I don't think, but the behavior of the ghosts and change in emphasis on accruing a massive train of ghosts to turn around and eat is a very different experience.

zigg

farnham said:
does this version have a pacman vs. option ?

If you're looking for a modern version of that, check out Namco Museum DS (available on the cheap at retail even today.) The rest of the package is pretty meh, but it has a single-card downloadable version.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Goddammit. Feel like an idiot, I lost a life on my Highway run and was 8k points away from #1. If I didnt die I would have easily gotten #1.

Billmaan

Neo Member
Is it just me, or is the Dungeon map broken?

On all three 10-minute runs I've played to completion, the map has broken when the fruit counter reads 64 on the left side, 66 on the right. The right half of the map gets all screwed up -- a new set of walls spawns, but the old dots remain. The result is that there are dots stuck in walls, so you can't clear the board.

I have to say though, it would be pretty neat to have a map with a "kill screen".

edit: yep, the fruit that spawns after the 65th clear of the left half is tainted. Don't eat it or it will break the game.

Barrett2

I normally get discouraged in these types of games because I am light years away from a *competitive* score, but this has such a nice flow, it's challenging without feeling frustrating. Hell of a game.

Billmaan said:
This is close, but not exactly correct. It doesn't matter how many "random" ghosts are in play. If there's no ghost chain following you, then the first sleeping ghost you pass by will start a new chain. Otherwise, sleeping ghosts you wake up will just sit there until the chain passes them, at which point they'll join it.

The "random" ghosts behave similarly. When you pass near them, they get "scared"; if they run into the chain while scared, they'll join it (and a new ghost will spawn in their place).

That does make more sense. The bolded part would seem to be key. It might be a way to increase the number of total edible ghosts in your chain. But you'd also have to break pattern to catch a lot of them quickly, so it might not be worth the effort.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So, for someone who's not played Pac-man CE, am I going to be missing out only playing Pac-man CE DX?

I'm still hoping for Pac-man CE officially on the PSP, but the radio silence is ominous.

lawblob said:
I normally get discouraged in these types of games because I am light years away from a *competitive* score, but this has such a nice flow, it's challenging without feeling frustrating. Hell of a game.

Same here, I'm not one for score-based games but this one has an addictive charm and plus it's fucking Pac-Man :lol

Need to break a million in Championship II....

Top Bottom