• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX |OT| XBLA & PSN ... 'Modern classic' to say the least

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Oh my god!
I was about to get it right now on XBLA since I'm off from work this morning, but for whatever reason I've seen this thread for the first time floating on GAF's first pages before dropping the money... PSN release?! I'm all over it, bye bye my awful (old) X360's D-pad :D I even bought that rock band gamepad to play Pac-Man CE but I should've known that an arcade stick was the only way to go... or at least a semi-proper (CCpro it ain't) D-pad.
What a fuckin pleasant surprise.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Brashnir said:
because playing itunes music anywhere other than itunes has always been a royal pain in my ass.
I'm pretty sure everything has been drm free for a few years now..

I will double dip tonight

I bought for XBLA after I bought the Special Edition Silver 360 Controller with the good D-Pad (I keep is screwed down, it works better)

they deserve my money again, so I will buy it on PSN tonight

I adjusted the screen size in the options earlier and it uncovered these horrid pulsing frames around the whole screen. Made me dizzy and sick almost immediately, and I never get motion sickness from games.

Erekiddo

I'm pretty addicted to Junction mode - it's my favorite out of all the modes. I was #40 upon logging in after a few days absence, but I'm sitting back at #15 again!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game is supposed to be getting a PSP release.

So it's going to be a separate PSN and PSP game, or is it a Mini? Or will be the very first hybrid PSN game that works on PS3 and PSP?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Always-honest said:
ehh... where is it?

You must be new here, the PSN Store updates whenever the hell it feels like it... on Tuesday. That could be as early as 4 in the afternoon, or as late at 11 at night.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I wish I held out for the PSN version. This game requires a good D-pad. I'm even using the SF4 pad, but the "throw" on the pad is far too large for a game like this.

I may have to double dip.

Mindlog

Fire up the game, seizure... S Ranks. What happened?

Managed to S Rank everything in Champ II so I started dabbling in the other modes. Half's time challenges are really fun.

Anyone have some good ghost train tips?
I'm guessing the idea is to build up a long train of power pellet ghosts. Once you're at max start munching on the big groups and occasionally eat a train pellet to keep the streak alive?

Adam Prime said:
You must be new here, the PSN Store updates whenever the hell it feels like it... on Tuesday. That could be as early as 4 in the afternoon, or as late at 11 at night.
Euro store here. There is a whole world outside of the U.S. The normal update day is thursday.

I managed to get in the top 10 for time attack on Champ 2 this week. Probably have dropped off since I haven't played in a few days.

Really trying to hit top 100 on Champ 2 5 min. I'm at around 300 now. I know what mistakes i've made though.

mollipen

Brashnir said:
because playing itunes music anywhere other than itunes has always been a royal pain in my ass.

They're standard un-DRMed AAC files. There's no modern audio software that can't play them, and any hardware worth anything can as well.

Brashnir

shidoshi said:
They're standard un-DRMed AAC files. There's no modern audio software that can't play them, and any hardware worth anything can as well.

Well cool. Guess I'll get it then. Had a couple terrible experiences years ago and wrote them off.

Just goes to show the damage that fucking with your customers once can do to your business long-term.

Nintaiyo

Just downloaded the PSN version. First impressions regarding the controls are not so good. I've been playing the 360 version for the past week and neither the stick or d-pad feel right; both seem a bit laggy and unresponsive.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Holy shit, this fucking game. Hook it right up to my brain. It's like sex.

Playing this with my arcade stick feels so right. I'm stunned at the number of modes in here. Can't wait to unlock them.

Wehrwolf

So, combining the 2 opinions of the PSN version of the game so far, is it fair to say its like laggy, unresponsive sex?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Wehrwolf said:
So, combining the 2 opinions of the PSN version of the game so far, is it fair to say its like laggy, unresponsive sex?

I haven't played the 360 version but I'm not feeling any lag with my TE stick.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, what the hell Namco? You've released Ridge Racer 7 at launch running at 1080p 60 fps, but fucking Pacman running at 720p is limited to 30 fps?!?!?!

There you have it, the PS3 version of DX runs at 30 fps while the 360 version is 60. There is absolutely no excuse for that. It's pure laziness on Namco's part.

Considering all of their other cross platform work (which has always been great on PS3), I can't help but wonder what went wrong here. This has not yet happened with Namco on the PS3. They've been very reliable in the past.

Do you know what is even more insulting? The iPhone version of the original Championship runs at 60 fps as well. I know DX is throwing around more stuff on screen, but it should be no problem for PS3 to handle.

I came very close to just hitting "buy" without trying the demo first, but I'm glad I waited. Don't care for the 360 pad (for games like this), though, so I'm conflicted. My excitement for the game is kind of gone at the moment. Will probably pick it up later on 360...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
dark10x said:
OK, what the hell Namco? You've released Ridge Racer 7 at launch running at 1080p 60 fps, but fucking Pacman running at 720p is limited to 30 fps?!?!?!

Yeah that was really surprising and disappointing.

dark10x said:
Don't care for the 360 pad (for games like this), though, so I'm conflicted. My excitement for the game is kind of gone at the moment. Will probably pick it up later on 360...
In what sense don't you like the pad? I'm pretty sure the game was designed to play with the stick, too. But if you want d-pad you can get the Rock Band Portable Drum Kit for $13 on Amazon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Of All Trades said:
In what sense don't you like the pad? I'm pretty sure the game was designed to play with the stick, too. But if you want d-pad you can get the Rock Band Portable Drum Kit for $13 on Amazon.
It doesn't feel right with the analog stick and the 360 dpad is crap (not paying $65 for the new controller either). PS3 pad feels better for me, but 30 fps is a deal breaker.

Oli

Just bought it for 360 with my October 800 points. So awesome. I got every achievement except the 10k (5min) and the 20k (10min). Will work on those tomorrow. I love the different visual skins.

stuminus3

dark10x said:
There you have it, the PS3 version of DX runs at 30 fps while the 360 version is 60.
Holy shit! :O

I'm kind of thankful now that I forgot it was coming out on PS3. I made a big deal about how much I was looking forward to be able to play the next CE game with a proper D-pad. Then, for some reason I promptly forgot there even was a PS3 version, and got the 360 version anyway. Sometimes, it pays to be a moron like me!

I'm more comfortable with the stick now anyway. I'm not sure if it's DX or if I'm just used to it now. Or maybe it just feels so good after that horrible, horrible iPhone version.

EDIT: on a more positive note, it's freaking cool that I'm able to say some of this generation's best games are Pac-Man (CE and DX) and Space Invaders (Extreme 1&2 and Infinity Gene). Two of my favorite games from when I first got into gaming ~30 years ago.

Holy shit Namco way to fuck up the PS3 port. :lol

To be fair though the framerate difference really isn't noticeable.

Deleted the demo by the way. Was starting to give me a headache.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i find this out AFTER buying it. wow. will check gaf in the future before buying, didnt want to support this shit.

original.jpg

Top Bottom