• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 47, 2015

Chobel

QXAFNK8.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So good!

I wouldn't call doom and gloom on Tomb Raider just yet, even if it tanked on Xbox next year they'll probably market it like a relaunch with full fanfare and still sell a decent if not great amount. The audience is there and the game is supposedly really good.

The problem is that RoTR doesn't exist in a vacuum. Hype and marketing are such a big part of selling AAA games these days and SE/CD chose to blow their hypeload targeting their least active userbase.

A year from now RoTR's PS4 release is going to be a footnote compared to the coverage that's going to be putting the new games for 2016 front and centre. It's not going to get magazine covers or time at E3, Gamecoms, TGS or PGW conferences. It's not going to get a load of popular Youtube/Twitch channels streaming it. It's incredibly unlikely that media outlets will re-review it, hell they might not even go through the trouble of re-publishing their Xbox One reviews with a PS4 note slapped on it.

foxbeldin

The problem is that RoTR doesn't exist in a vacuum. Hype and marketing are such a big part of selling AAA games these days and SE/CD chose to blow their hypeload targeting their least active userbase.

A year from now RoTR's PS4 release is going to be a footnote compared to the coverage that's going to be putting the new games for 2016 front and centre. It's not going to get magazine covers or time at E3, Gamecoms, TGS or PGW conferences. It's not going to get a load of popular Youtube/Twitch channels streaming it. It's incredibly unlikely that media outlets will re-review it, hell they might not even go through the trouble of re-publishing their Xbox One reviews with a PS4 note slapped on it.

That's not even taking into account salty ps4 players (oh yes i am) who will just refuse to buy the game new, despite being TR fans.

Hit the nail on the head there buddy.

But it wont have been out for a year on the platforms you have. It will be a brand spanking new release.

Sure, its new but coming during Oct-Dec 2016 with the hype of new fall games like Mass Effect, CoD #14, Horizon etc, people won't even focus on TR in favour of the new hotness.

Even worse if SE go at full price when it'll be like 15 quid on XB1. Then how are SE gonna market and hype the game (again) to PS4 owners? They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Halo 5 under the 360 version of Black Ops III... i mean, wow.
We know Black Ops III is at 136,500 this week, and in it's first week the 360 was around 5% of total sales...
Usually the current gen drop is bigger than PS3 / 360, but even if we say this week the 360 version is 10% of total sales ( which seem unlucky ) the 360 version is at 13,650 unit.
And Halo 5 is under Black Ops for 360.

damn.

Chobel

So much this. Really good post that applies not only to TR2, but also to most delayed ports.

Hit the nail on the head there buddy.

Sure, its new but coming during Oct-Dec 2016 with the hype of new fall games like Mass Effect, CoD #14, Horizon etc, people won't even focus on TR in favour of the new hotness.

Even worse if SE go at full price when it'll be like 15 quid on XB1. Then how are SE gonna market and hype the game (again) to PS4 owners? They're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I am sure it will come with any added DLC along with prettier graphics/effects and maybe an increased frame rate? Price is a fucker though, I agree they have to price it accordingly though, what would be the sweet point for those without an XB1 to jump in - £25, £30?

Quite funny to think what SE have to do to get people back interested in the platform in 3 months or a years time, almost reminds me of a certain parity clause*

*I'm joking, I'm joking. Put the pitchforks away :)

interesting addition to this, PVZ Garden Warfare the first delayed release game this gen was given away free at PSX last year on PS4 to boost player numbers. I mention this as a few people brought GW up.

Chobel

I am sure it will come with any added DLC along with prettier graphics/effects and maybe an increased frame rate? Price is a fucker though, I agree they have to price it accordingly though, what would be the sweet point for those without an XB1 to jump in - £25, £30?

Quite funny to think what SE have to do to get people back interested in the platform in 3 months or a years time, almost reminds me of a certain parity clause*

For the millionth time, the problem of parity clause isn't the added content, it's forcing devs to add new content.

They're going to have a hard time selling it fullprice to PS4 userbase next fall though. And next fall isn't going to be any better with regards to being stuck between releases than this year I'd assume. It's going to be tough for TR, unless they can release it during the lull of the summer, with DLC.

Will they really, plenty of remasters have sold for $60 or $50 even if there was barely any DLC worth mentioning and those games have been played before. Heck TR found success specifically there. Can you really imagine a worse time to launch than between CoD and Star Wars the week with Fallout?

They are on other platforms and it's much bigger though.

Problem is will game sell well when shows up on PC/PS4.

Dunno about PC but if they get the marketing right the game will easily sell on PS4.

By the time this game comes out I want to play Mass Effect, Horizon, FF XV, Persona 5 etc. Won't pay more than 40€ for a game that is been out for a year.

We really don't know when any of these games will come out.

I have never seen two marketing campaigns for a title that wasn't an evergreen to begin with. RotTR will launch in one of the most competitive PC lineups next year. In addition many buyers will hold off on Steam because A: the original Reboot dropped in price very fast and B: no one likes to pay full price for a late game.
On PS4 the situation seems even more dire. More time will have passed, they'll probably need to include the season pass to somewhat justify a retail price point and the lineup for Fall 2016 currently looks even more packed.

A year from now Square could go crazy with marketing, they certainly haven't this year
and games have found success through relaunches before. They can throw in incentives to streamers, who are usually rather receptive to it and I'm not sure people will care much whether the reviews will just be updates.

I'm not saying any of this is guaranteed but there's a whole year for Square to figure this out and I wouldn't just write off the series because of the situation right now.

Well, Square would be buffoons of the highest order if the came out the gate swinging at higher than £30.

Lara's already been sent to die once this year, they can't repeat it in 2016.

A year from now Square could go crazy with marketing, they certainly haven't this year
and games have found success through relaunches before. They can throw in incentives to streamers, who are usually rather receptive to it and I'm not sure people will care much whether the reviews will just be updates.

I'm not saying any of this is guaranteed but there's a whole year for Square to figure this out and I wouldn't just write off the series because of the situation right now.

What will Square prefer to market next year? Final Fantasy XV (and possibly, Kingdom Hearts 2.8) or Tomb Raider?

Square need to figure out FFXV first for launch next year isn't it?

That's where all the marketing muscle is going (along with Deus Ex) and Square just have to go massive on that for a project that's been in development since time began.

I can envisage a situation where TR is promoted with all the enthusiasm of a wet fart.

For the millionth time, the problem of parity clause isn't the added content, it's forcing devs to add new content.

I was J-O-K-I-N-G :)

Price is something that devs have to consider when it comes to releasing a game at a later date on different platforms, that's just my opinion though.

Chobel

I was J-O-K-I-N-G :)

Price is something that devs have to consider when it comes to releasing a game at a later date on different platforms, that's just my opinion though.

Nothing wrong with that opinion, and I'm sure most devs and publishers do that anyway. But in the end the decision should be up to devs, not the platform holders, especially when talking about smaller devs.

stryke

A year from now Square could go crazy with marketing, they certainly haven't this year and games have found success through relaunches before. They can throw in incentives to streamers, who are usually rather receptive to it and I'm not sure people will care much whether the reviews will just be updates.

Square won't be the only company giving incentives to streamers. New games from other publishers will get them more hits and views.

Not to mention Square already has Deus Ex, FFXV, KH, Hitman, DQ11 to worry about for next year.

Donos

Don't really know if Square is going to pour further $$$ into marketing of the PC and PS4 version. We don't know the cut they made with the MS deal so maybe they don't want to "waste" anymore resources for the other releases.

Do you believe Tomb Raider will be competitive marketing wise in Holiday 2016 after not being even the latest Square Enix release of note?

Square need to figure out FFXV first for launch next year isn't it?

That's where all the marketing muscle is going (along with Deus Ex) and Square just have to go massive on that for a project that's been in development since time began.

I can envisage a situation where TR is promoted with all the enthusiasm of a wet fart.

What will Square prefer to market next year? Final Fantasy XV (and possibly, Kingdom Hearts 2.8) or Tomb Raider?

I'd assume Tomb Raider would take precedence over KH2.8 at least. They can still market more than 1 game per year especially if their releases are scattered throughout the fall.

I mean Deus Ex launches in august and if Square were serious about it they could effectively handle Tomb Raider PS4 as their latest release of note. It'd depend on how confident they are in the title

They gave the exclusivity to MS because they couldn't bother adverting the game and instead left it to MS, you think they'll advertise it next year for when delayed PS4 releases?

I'm saying they could.

interesting addition to this, PVZ Garden Warfare the first delayed release game this gen was given away free at PSX last year on PS4 to boost player numbers. I mention this as a few people brought GW up.

i'm gonna quote myself here and make guess, PSX next year SE gives away TR for free on PS4, just like GW, for the duration of PSX which was 3 days I think last year.

Boke1879

I'm sure tomb raider will be huge on pc and ps4. It's all we talk about in these sales threads lol

But at that point how many people will really care? On PS4 at least it depends on what games are being released next Holiday and I honestly think SE would be stupid to sell the game for 60$ next year to PS4 users.

But at that point how many people will really care? On PS4 at least it depends on what games are being released next Holiday and I honestly think SE would be stupid to sell the game for 60$ next year to PS4 users.

The games amazing. I'm buying a second copy on pc. Ps4 gamers would be stupid to pass up such a great game. It's really really good.

Chobel

They gave the exclusivity to MS because they couldn't bother adverting the game and instead left it to MS, you think they'll advertise it next year for when delayed PS4 releases?

Boke1879

The games amazing. I'm buying a second copy on pc. Ps4 gamers would be stupid to pass up such a great game. It's really really good.

I'm glad the game is good and I have no doubts about that. But it all depends on what releases next holiday. Is SE going to put money towards marketing the game against heavy hitters.

I'd assume Tomb Raider would take precedence over KH2.8 at least. They can still market more than 1 game per year especially if their releases are scattered throughout the fall.

Tomb Raider taking precedence over KH2.8 would make absolutely zero sense because Square will want to build up hype for KHIII.

Also, we also need to take into account games from other publishers, too. Perhaps Tomb Raider can dodge FFXV, KH2.8, and Deus Ex, but games like Horizon and the next COD need to be taken into account, too. This is especially true since the PS4 version is likely coming out a year later after the XBO version.

EGOMON

That's not even taking into account salty ps4 players (oh yes i am) who will just refuse to buy the game new, despite being TR fans.
SE/CD screwed us with this exclusivity deal so its only fair to say fuck off am not giving you my money anymore

i'm gonna quote myself here and make guess, PSX next year SE gives away TR for free on PS4, just like GW, for the duration of PSX which was 3 days I think last year.
PvZ makes more sense since it's a mp only game with microtransactions
Tomb raider is sp only, and its square so im pretty doubtful of that happening

Tomb Raider taking precedence over KH2.8 would make absolutely zero sense because Square will want to build up hype for KHIII.

Also, we also need to take into account games from other publishers, too. Perhaps Tomb Raider can dodge FFXV, KH2.8, and Deus Ex, but games like Horizon and the next COD need to be taken into account, too.

If they wanted to build hype for KH3 they'd include KH1.5 and 2.5 in it. Barring another delay it'll most certainly dodge Deus Ex.

I'm not even sure why I'm arguing for it, I own neither a PS4 nor did I ever play a Tomb Raider game. I own the definitive edition but I haven't even started it.

They are if they aren't buying it lol ;) I not being serious. Don't want to get banned lol

I wish games like Nier and Yakuza sold even 1/50th the sales GTAV gets, but the world ain't that nice.

The reality is that many gamers have limited amounts of money, and they'll spend their money on 1-2 games out of at least a dozen vying for their money.

Top Bottom