• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL/Europe/Oz: Metroid Prime 2 Echoes - 60hz ONLY.

Cooper

snapty00 said:
If 60 hz is so popular, why do broadcasters and video-equipment makers even bother continuing support for 50 hz? In the U.S., for example, SDTV signals are going to be dropped in-the-not-so-distant future so people will move quickly to HDTV.

That's not quite what's happening. Analog broadcasts will be dropped and replaced by digital broadcasts. The digital broadcasts can still be SD resolution. Also, this only applies to over-the-air broadcasters. Cable-only networks can continue to produce analog content.

Gazunta

Slightly off topic - does anyone know if there is a difference between the various 60hz modes on PAL consoles?

I play my games on my trusty Commodore 1084s monitor, and Dreamcast games play in 60hz fine, but not PS2 games. Any ideas?

Grubdog

Banned
Gazunta said:
Slightly off topic - does anyone know if there is a difference between the various 60hz modes on PAL consoles?

I play my games on my trusty Commodore 1084s monitor, and Dreamcast games play in 60hz fine, but not PS2 games. Any ideas?
I have a strange problem with Burnout 2 and Burnout 3 on PS2, when I put them on 60hz mode they don't display properly, they go black and white and the picture jumps around. All my GameCube games and a few other PS2 games work fine in 60hz mode though...

pilonv1

Gazunta said:

I believe the PS2 60hz isn't PAL60. I think. Someone else may know the exact difference but I'm aware the PS2 60hz isn't up to standard.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think PS2 PAL 60 is actually NTSC.

PAL 60 is a proper standard, and is supported in slightly more TVs than native NTSC.

Black and white is a text book example of an NTSC signal being used on an incompatible TV/monitor.

But if a small TV is important, you could pick up a crappy 14" from ASDA for £90 and that will problably be NTSC compatible with a SCART socket.

pilonv1

mrklaw said:
I think PS2 PAL 60 is actually NTSC.

PAL 60 is a proper standard, and is supported in slightly more TVs than native NTSC

That's what I suspected. PS2 60hz looks horrible compared to Xbox 60hz (PAL60).

Dkong

thorns said:
wtf? only high-end 100hz tvs are 60hz, I just bought a new sony 21" that is only 50hz.

Most modern PAL TV's that are not 100 Hz will play 60 Hz framerates so in the case of a Sony, you'd presume that they support 60 Hz.

-edit-

Next time I'll read the rest of the thread first, haha.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I dunno if nobody has a 50hz tv anymore...lots of kids may play their games on older "hand-me-down" tvs that don't support 60hz. I guess Nintendo have done their market research though.

I never thought I'd see anyone from the Europe/Aus market complaining about getting games quicker and in 60Hz but that's GAF for you!

They aren't doing this in order to strike a blow for progress, they're doing it in order to hoot the game out in good time for Christmas, and I think it is a contemptible principle. There will be many people out there whose hopes of a happy Christmas have been shot down in flames because of this, and many people who will be bought the game as a present without the capabilities of their TV being taken into account. It simply isn't the case that 50hz-only TVs are non-existent - big, small, cheap, expensive, they're everywhere. My familys main TV is an ugly Phillips widescreen affair, which was the bollocks when it was bought 7-8 years ago, but which still has no 60hz or NTSC support.

This doesn't affect me personally, as I bought an NTSC-capable TV specifically for my American Cube. In fact, I had to buy this TV, because I had never before realised how crappy our expensive television would actually turn out to be. And come on, it's hardly fair to say it's the publics fault for not having been wealthy enough to buy proper kit: that smacks very ill, if you don't mind my saying. Surely the question really is why the hell this horrible standard is still being used by manufacturers?

Bad move, very bad move.

Grubdog

Banned
Well to be honest I don't really see this game selling to the general public anyway, pretty much all the sales will go to hardcore gamers, who have more chance of having a 60hz compatable tv than most people. :p

Screenboy

I dunno why people are moaning, 60hz is a great luxury that we should all take advantage of, games played in 50hz when they can be played in 60 is like playing with no colour or a broken controller or something.

I wish all games were in 60hz mode.

-SB

Dkong

You might be wrong there, a game with the sci-fi-like theme Metroid has can probably attract quite a lot of Cube-only gamers. It's not like they're getting an awful lot of great games in a year, and christmas won't be the only time of the year that this game will be on the shelves.

-edit-

That was a reply to Grubdog.

Che

Banned
B-B-Bomba! said:
They aren't doing this in order to strike a blow for progress, they're doing it in order to hoot the game out in good time for Christmas, and I think it is a contemptible principle. There will be many people out there whose hopes of a happy Christmas have been shot down in flames because of this, and many people who will be bought the game as a present without the capabilities of their TV being taken into account. It simply isn't the case that 50hz-only TVs are non-existent - big, small, cheap, expensive, they're everywhere. My familys main TV is an ugly Phillips widescreen affair, which was the bollocks when it was bought 7-8 years ago, but which still has no 60hz or NTSC support.

This doesn't affect me personally, as I bought an NTSC-capable TV specifically for my American Cube. In fact, I had to buy this TV, because I had never before realised how crappy our expensive television would actually turn out to be. And come on, it's hardly fair to say it's the publics fault for not having been wealthy enough to buy proper kit: that smacks very ill, if you don't mind my saying. Surely the question really is why the hell this horrible standard is still being used by manufacturers?

Bad move, very bad move.

Oh yeah let's wait six months to get black bars and 50 Hz. That'll be a good move!

Well assuredly it'll make no difference to me either way, but don't misrepresent the situation. You haven't just had your lolly taken away; in fact this news probably represents a box of lollies, all for you. If this announcement was to the effect that Echoes would be out in February with a fully optimised 50hz mode, it would fall firmly in line with expectations, and raise a chorus of groans and whinges, but generally resignation. Everyone waits, everyone gets it.

Instead we have a suspiciously expedient alternative, satisfying a rough majority of Nintendo, and a rough majority of consumers: to hell with the fact that the cold out in which the minority are left is of the Antarctic variety. 'We don't care if some of you can't play our game AT ALL' is really not the Nintendo corporate song, and especially surprising with regard to the only must-have title with which Gamecube is armed to face Halo2, Half Life 2, San Andreas et al. I'm sorry but this is a massive 'fuck you' to an effectively unkown percentage of the market, and if quick-buck expediency is anywhere else to be found within the MP2-Echoes package, you and I will both have something to cry about.

Top Bottom