• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Dash27

This diet change has me excited, looking forward to seeing where I'm at a few weeks from now.

First glad to hear it's going well. That's the thing I like about this, it's simple and straightforward. It offers a good basic framework to make changes and you can get excited about it and motivated.

Dash27

I didnt bring lunch today so I had to order out. I also uncharacteristically skipped breakfast, and of course a co-worker brings in bagels. It was pretty easy to resist though.

Pleasantly surprised with my lunch from the local Portuguese place: Beef ribs, 1/2 roasted chicken, carrots, broccoli and some cabbage. Passed on the cabbage but the rest was great.

IMG_20130124_131007_zps5ab45718.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Via RobWolf:

it's not

I'd say the only thing that turns me off about it is how snobby people can be about it. It hasn't happened in this thread, but when googling for some specific info you just run into a wall of holier than thou "THAT ISN'T PALEO" posts and people just regurgitating "facts" they picked up from other message boards.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fuck I want a hamburger and french fries and a Dr Pepper.

This shitting diet is fucking hard. :(

Dropping weight like a mofo though. Sigh.

SeanR1221

I'd say the only thing that turns me off about it is how snobby people can be about it. It hasn't happened in this thread, but when googling for some specific info you just run into a wall of holier than thou "THAT ISN'T PALEO" posts and people just regurgitating "facts" they picked up from other message boards.

That's happened to me on my first post in this thread lol. I mentioned something about how I mostly eat paleo but will still eat cheese and was immediately told "you're not eating paleo at all!"

I want a Big Mac. Or a sandwich. Or some Lucky Charms.

This is what one cheat meal a week is for. But honestly, it almost sounds like you guys live to eat, but I take the approach I need to eat to live. Definitely helps have a different mindset when it comes to eating better.

steadfast

I get that feel. I make turkey burgers wrapped in lettuce with a little bbq sauce and bacon on them with some baked sweet potato fries.

Then the feeling passes and the only thing to feel guilty about is the tiny bit of sugar in the bbq sauce

WanderingWind

I get that feel. I make turkey burgers wrapped in lettuce with a little bbq sauce and bacon on them with some baked sweet potato fries.

Then the feeling passes and the only thing to feel guilty about is the tiny bit of sugar in the bbq sauce

This sounds crazy good right now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is what one cheat meal a week is for. But honestly, it almost sounds like you guys live to eat, but I take the approach I need to eat to live. Definitely helps have a different mindset when it comes to eating better.

You're basically like my dad. I got my grandpa's genetics and my brother got my dads. My dad eats super healthy (does have bad food every once in a while) and tells me that he just sees it as fuel. We never had junk growing up, that was always at Grandma's. He's not 100% against junk food, just most of the time (except some booze). It works though, he's 53 and in crazy good shape.

Me (thanks to my grandpa), I am a huge foodie. I basically work out every day so I can eat poorly from time to time. I've gotten way better though, losing 40 lbs over the last year and a half.

Basically, I'll eat a Big Mac then work out for 5 days to get rid of it so I can have Subway the next weekend. Not recently though. :p

CrankyJay

Banned
You're basically like my dad. I got my grandpa's genetics and my brother got my dads. My dad eats super healthy (does have bad food every once in a while) and tells me that he just sees it as fuel.

Me (thanks to my grandpa), I am a huge foodie. I basically work out every day so I can eat poorly from time to time. I've gotten way better though, losing 40 lbs over the last year and a half.

Basically, I'll eat a Big Mac then work out for 5 days to get rid of it so I can have Subway the next weekend. Not recently though. :p

When I was a kid McDonalds was probably a once a month treat. Something has changed in our culture where it's acceptable to eat out 10+ days a month. It's not sustainable for a healthy lifestyle.

SeanR1221

You're basically like my dad. I got my grandpa's genetics and my brother got my dads. My dad eats super healthy (does have bad food every once in a while) and tells me that he just sees it as fuel. We never had junk growing up, that was always at Grandma's. He's not 100% against junk food, just most of the time (except some booze). It works though, he's 53 and in crazy good shape.

Yeah this is probably why I rarely snack. Usually my "snacks" are a scoop of whey pre and post workout. If I'm bored I brew up some black coffee :)

I definitely see food as fuel. Sometimes I won't even heat my stuff up! Gross to others but it doesn't bother me.

WanderingWind

I, on the other hand, love fast food bullshit. I love Popeyes, Five Guys and Wendy's.

Luckily, I have a wife who loves to cook, making these paleo excursions easy on the palette. Tonight, roast turkey with an herbed rub, carmelized sweet taters and a glass of whiskey or 3.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
When I was a kid McDonalds was probably a once a month treat. Something has changed in our culture where it's acceptable to eat out 10+ days a month. It's not sustainable for a healthy lifestyle.

I agree with you there, but a lot of that has to do with your lifestyle too. I enjoy cooking, but my friends who don't or can't go out all the time. I still eat out once a weekend maybe, but keep it light. It's usually a "let's go to brunch!" thing to see my busy friends or something.

Anyone have tips for someone who fucking hates most green vegetables? Fried in butter doesn't really do it for me. Eating more vegetables has easily been the toughest part of this diet for me.

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone have tips for someone who fucking hates most green vegetables? Fried in butter doesn't really do it for me. Eating more vegetables has easily been the toughest part of this diet for me.

Have you tried roasting vegetables in the oven instead of steaming them and sauteeing them? Helps with taste and texture.

bdouble

Id say the eaiest and quickest thing would be a green shake in the morning. Then you dont have to worry about it. Other than that find a way to cook it. Lots of recipies with bacon or mixing it in works well.

And yeah roasting a mix of veggies or one veggie with a good herb and spice mixture ans you will be surprised. Not to mention something that doesnt get talked about much is your taste buds will change if you cut out sugars and sweetners and gluten. All of these things cause hormone responses to make them taste better.

My gf is or now id say was pickiest eater ever (was a mcnuggettes and pasta girl and ketchup on evertything). weve slowly changed our diets and she struggles with choices but would have never thought about eating this much variety before paleo.

dralla

So have it? Make a hamburger without a bun. Make sweet potato fries. Drink a Diet Dr Pepper or Dr Zevia if you're avoiding artificial sweeteners.

I've got a burger defrosting right now for later. Avocado and bacon burger maybe, or a fat slice of mozzarella cheese..decisions!

Mayyhem

What's the consensus on Pork Chops? Worse for you than beef, turkey, chicken, fish? I'm having it for dinner tonight after the gym and I feel like its worse than other meats for some reason

WanderingWind

So have it? Make a hamburger without a bun. Make sweet potato fries. Drink a Diet Dr Pepper or Dr Zevia if you're avoiding artificial sweeteners.

I've got a burger defrosting right now for later. Avocado and bacon burger maybe, or a fat slice of mozzarella cheese..decisions!

1) Protein style burgers are legit
2) Sweet potato fries are not in the same stratosphere as french fries, one of my favorite foods
3) I think any soda is going to cause weight gain. Prove me wrong and I'll be happy though.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Not to mention something that doesnt get talked about much is your taste buds will change if you cut out sugars and sweetners and gluten.

This. So much.

I used to drink like 4-5 sodas per day. Now the thought of soda makes me nauseous, the only time I really have it is occasionally with a mixed drink.

Same thing has happened with so many other sugary foods, desserts, etc.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I am on week 2 of Bulletproof Paleo. I had coffee with butter this morning. Still feel weird about it.

Schlep

For those with issues eating vegetables, try mixing the stuff below and using it. I've made enough to fill a large shaker and use it quite often. The sweeter or more buttery the vegetable (sweet potato, zucchini, broccoli with butter, etc) the better it works.

1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

dralla

What's the consensus on Pork Chops? Worse for you than beef, turkey, chicken, fish? I'm having it for dinner tonight after the gym and I feel like its worse than other meats for some reason
Higher in Omega-6 than other types of meat, that's about it. I wouldn't drive yourself crazy over O6 and O3 ratios though.

1) Protein style burgers are legit
2) Sweet potato fries are not in the same stratosphere as french fries, one of my favorite foods
3) I think any soda is going to cause weight gain. Prove me wrong and I'll be happy though.
You know what's legit? Take some ground beef, mix in spinach and feta cheese, make patties..greek style hamburgers.

You can make your french fries too, just no veggie oils or breading of any kind. I just like sweet potatoes better, especially with cinnamon. Butternut squash with butter/cinnamon too mmmmmmmmmmmm

Diet Soda may be non-nutritious, but it won't cause won't gain. It's a good way to wean yourself off regular soda if you're addicted. There's always Vitamin Water Zero, or Sobe Life Water 0, both naturally sweetened with stevia. Or even things like Hint water. Of course, straight up water is always the best option, but I understand sometimes you want a drink with some flavor.

This. So much.

I used to drink like 4-5 sodas per day. Now the thought of soda makes me nauseous, the only time I really have it is occasionally with a mixed drink.

Same thing has happened with so many other sugary foods, desserts, etc.
Yes, your pallet will definitely change once you cut out the sugars. A Diet Coke is too sweet for me now. Veggies have a stronger taste. Food in general just taste better.

I vote for "all of the above."
Well I didn't have any bacon :( One of my avocados was starting to get a little squishy so I went with that, mixed in some greens I sauteed in butter. It was a weird, green, mushy mess of healthy goodness spread over a burger. Excess was used as dip for carrots.

bigsnack

I inadvertently signed up for Paleo (or something in close proximity of it) after watching Fat Head on youtube. That prompted me to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes.

I've always been lean and never really had any weight issues. I have however always dealt with digestive problems. Gluten free improved this part of it noticeably, but the real corner was turned when I bailed on refined carbs completely. I've been at it for about 6 weeks (give or take), and this truly is the best I can remember feeling. Embracing fatty foods, after thinking I should avoid them for years, is heavenly. I am NEVER hungry. Honestly, I eat lunch out of obligation, not out of hunger. The benefits have absolutely been astounding.

For those of you that want at least some type of scientific backing, Taubes' books are chock full of good information. He goes into detail about carbs, insulin, inflammation, fats, cholesterol, and on and on. He is willing to admit that he could always be wrong, but to him the evidence doesn't point that way. Here's a sample of what I usually eat:

Breakfast:

Egg Scramble - with coconut milk, broccoli, celery, red peppers, spinach, or whatever we still have in the fridge.
Banana - either a whole banana, or 1/2 of a large one.
2 pieces of bacon or sausage

Lunch:

Chopped salads with avocado (the avocado helps with feeling full after a salad)
Turkey bacon wraps
2 Hamburgers with no bun

Dinner:

Steak / Pork / Chicken
2 different steamed or grilled vegetables, or a salad

I snack on almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pears, apples, oranges, and bananas.

Our grocery bill for last week was 96 bucks, which is nothing compared to the amount of money we were spending before because we were always going out to eat.

I don't know, I can't ever see myself going back. I ate a cupcake at a friend's birthday party last week, and had the worst case of diarrhea that I can remember. I've snuck in a bowl of chex also, but I got so tired afterward that I had to take a nap. Sex drive is up, intestinal gas is non existent, regularity is up, mood is WAY up, etc.

GatorBait

I wanted to share a tasty, easy dish I made tonight, along with an interesting anecdote.

First, the anecdote...

I really started to cook a lot of my own meals about two years ago when I moved into my own apartment and decided to start taking my health seriously again. I wouldn't cook anything extravagant, but I would try a little bit of experimentation here and there (as much experimentation as you can do when you are eating about the same two dozen "healthy" foods over and over again). Also, during those two years, I traveled regularly for my job and had the opportunity to dine at many trendy and expensive restaurants on the company dime - the side effect of which has been that I have been slowly developing into more of a "food snob." I have always had an adventurous palette and was willing to try anything, and my job afforded me the opportunity to do so regularly these past couple years.

So how does this relate to a paleo diet? Well, I started getting serious about the diet this year, and it has really taken my cooking game to another level. Being constrained by the inability to fall back on easy, safe, go-to carb dishes has caused me to experiment quite a bit more in my on-going quest to make easy, delicious, primal/paleo-friendly meals. I'm buying new cuts of meat I would have never bought before, testing new herbs and spices, sampling almost any vegetable I can get my hands on, and I've purchased a few kitchen utensils I would have never previously considered purchasing. Sometimes I even almost feel that I'm evocative of a paleolithic hunter/gatherer as I wander about and forage around the grocery store with an amazement of all the different healthy options there are outside of the middle carb-laden aisles.

Personally, I can never see food as merely "fuel." To me, good food and all that comes with it is one of life's greatest pleasures. Luckily, I can't remember consistently eating food that is so good - in regards to both taste and healthiness - compared to what I'm eating on this diet.

And now for that "recipe" you've been waiting for...

Julienne Peeler + Zucchini = Primal Spaghetti! I sauteed some fresh garlic with it, topped it with some all-natural marinara sauce, and threw in a couple handfuls of Italian-style meatballs. So simple, tasty, and healthy, and it really hits that "comfort food" spot that you feel when you eat a big bowl of regular pasta.

zucchini-spaghetti-sausage-sauce-5-kalynskitchen.jpg

Dre

I wanted to share a tasty, easy dish I made tonight, along with an interesting anecdote.

First, the anecdote...

I really started to cook a lot of my own meals about two years ago when I moved into my own apartment and decided to start taking my health seriously again. I wouldn't cook anything extravagant, but I would try a little bit of experimentation here and there (as much experimentation as you can do when you are eating about the same two dozen "healthy" foods over and over again). Also, during those two years, I traveled regularly for my job and had the opportunity to dine at many trendy and expensive restaurants on the company dime - the side effect of which has been that I have been slowly developing into more of a "food snob." I have always had an adventurous palette and was willing to try anything, and my job afforded me the opportunity to do so regularly these past couple years.

So how does this relate to a paleo diet? Well, I started getting serious about the diet this year, and it has really taken my cooking game to another level. Being constrained by the inability to fall back on easy, safe, go-to carb dishes has caused me to experiment quite a bit more in my on-going quest to make easy, delicious, primal/paleo-friendly meals. I'm buying new cuts of meat I would have never bought before, testing new herbs and spices, sampling almost any vegetable I can get my hands on, and I've purchased a few kitchen utensils I would have never previously considered purchasing. Sometimes I even almost feel that I'm evocative of a paleolithic hunter/gatherer as I wander about and forage around the grocery store with an amazement of all the different healthy options there are outside of the middle carb-laden aisles.

Since going Primal almost 2 months ago I also find myself doing some wandering in my local supermarket and buying stuff from aisles I never even looked at before.
I always avoided the fatty stuff like nuts, avocados and coconut products because general knowledge told me that fat is bad. Well I'm so glad that I'm over it because now I eat those delicious foods on many days every week. Coconut milk is also a great substitute if (like me) you were drinking cow milk like there was no tomorrow before.

I even learned to embrace offal, initially I just bought it out of curiosity, but after trying them out (so far I had gizzard, chicken hearts and beef liver) I started to like them a lot and since most people find them gross it's also super cheap compared to other meats.
It's super healthy as well, for instance I'm pretty sure that B12 deficiency becomes literally impossible for you if you eat liver or heart at least once per week.

Julienne Peeler + Zucchini = Primal Spaghetti! I sauteed some fresh garlic with it, topped it with some all-natural marinara sauce, and threw in a couple handfuls of Italian-style meatballs. So simple, tasty, and healthy, and it really hits that "comfort food" spot that you feel when you eat a big bowl of regular pasta.

zucchini-spaghetti-sausage-sauce-5-kalynskitchen.jpg

THANK YOU! i've freaking missed pasta everyday since starting paleo after xmas.

Dash27

Had bacon and eggs for lunch. Tonight is burgers wrapped in lettuce with tomato and avocado. Not sure how well pickles and avocados go together, we'll see. I need a salad to go with that for some veggies.

80/20, 80/20, 80/20.....Matter of fact it's like 90/10.

It's week three, and I'm feeling somewhat better. Not even hating on that pastrami on a bulkie I had for lunch.

CrankyJay

Banned
Had bacon and eggs for lunch. Tonight is burgers wrapped in lettuce with tomato and avocado. Not sure how well pickles and avocados go together, we'll see. I need a salad to go with that for some veggies.

I'd like to think I have a pretty sensible palate...pickles (if dill) will go together swimmingly with avocados.

Dash27

Yeah Dill, I think so too. I seem to remember Smashburger has an avocado cheeseburger and I want to say it had pickles on it too. I'll try it and see. I shall report back with my findings!

dralla

Avocado goes with everything. Especially bacon, the saltiness of the bacon and the savoriness of the avocado, mmmmm. Avocado oil is also really good as a salad dressing. I've eaten an avocado every day for about 2 weeks now, I don't have any more, gonna break the streak tomorrow :(

dralla

It's amazing how much money you can save if you buy frozen. 1 pound of greens is only 2 bucks. I've even seen things like frozen okra, which is not something you see every day. Cryo-packed, wild caught, sockeye salmon, $11/pound. Both taste great. That's butter of course!, and seasoning, on the salmon. Anyone on a budget, check out the frozen section for sure.

5c8f5b54675a11e291b222000a1f98fa_7.jpg

--

And lets talk about extra Dark Chocolate, one of the healthiest things you're probably not eating.

Scroll down for a breakdown of all the vitamins and minerals, pretty amazing.
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/dark-chocolate.php

And good article from MDA on its health benefits
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-you-should-eat-and-drink-high-cacao-dark-chocolate/#axzz2J2lvBFZy

My favorite

3oz_panther__55457_zoom.jpg

My second favorite

75305.jpg

3rd

ValrhonaNoirExtraAmer85WrapperWeb.jpg

Dash27

Morbidly obese IT consultant loses EIGHT stone in five months on the Caveman plan after being refused life insurance

Insurance company refused his application, classing him morbidly obese at 20 stone
Jeremy immediately swapped takeaways for a meat, fish and nut-based diet
Joined a gym where he climbed ropes and threw hammers to mimic caveman behaviour

Read more: http://www.*****************/femail...lan-refused-life-insurance.html#ixzz2J5XZmEyN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Probably, but yeah any reasonable diet will work paired with exercise. I'd say paleo is on of the easier ones to stick to though.

I like that he throws hammers to mimic cavemen.

Dre

Chicken hearts are my favorite! They're like tasty little morsels of chewy dark meat. If prepared properly beef tongue is delicious, so I'd definitely recommend trying it.

B12 deficiency is difficult to induce except in vegans since your liver hoards it and animal products are always full of the stuff. Humans also have no upper tolerable limit for B12 AFAIK so you could consume massive amounts with no harm.

Now, vitamin A? There's something you'll never have to worry about lacking again as beef liver is loaded with the stuff and it isn't nearly as abundant in any other food.

Liver overall might be the healthiest food on the planet due to being a complete protein and containing well over the RDA for most vitamins and minerals (I cook it in coconut oil to add good fat calories), although I wouldn't eat it more than once a week because of potential toxicity from being TOO nutritious (!!) wrt the aforementioned vitamin A in particular.

If your vitamin D levels are normal, the risks of going overboard with your vitamin A intake can be minimized I think. IIRC vitamin A, D and K2 cancel each other's ill effects out.
But since vitamin D deficiency is also very common, especially in the winter months when you can't synthesize enough of it yourself, I wouldn't recommend eating liver more than once maybe twice per week.

And lets talk about extra Dark Chocolate, one of the healthiest things you're probably not eating.

Scroll down for a breakdown of all the vitamins and minerals, pretty amazing.
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/dark-chocolate.php

And good article from MDA on its health benefits
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-you-should-eat-and-drink-high-cacao-dark-chocolate/#axzz2J2lvBFZy

Dark chocolate is great indeed! My favourite is the mild version of Lindt's 90% bar.

04341.png

If you are hardcore you could try the 99% bar, but it's not especially tasty (even disgusting for people not used to dark chocolate) and also twice as expensive. It only has 8% carbs though.

612872_exc_99__01_1.png

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just to be clear, is Paleo basically low carb without dairy?

No, it's an emphasis on foods that more resemble what paleolithic man ate with the idea that our genes are more adapted to being healthy on those foods than on modern foods.

Early man ate fruit and tubers. Likely several months in which some groups of people ate mostly starch. It just wasn't grain. Whereas groups of people that were in dryer or colder climates hunted non-stop. Human body can do well on either.

Top Bottom