• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and I've lost about 9 lbs. It's basically just a low carb diet. But it's effective since its actually working for me.
I've been eating with a bit if cheese on my salads though. But it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be cutting out bread and rice which I ate a lot of before.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Easy...cut off the base, cut in half, toss in olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and roast on a cookie sheet (lined with tin foil) for about 30-35 minutes at 350

Set it and forget it while you prep your proteins.

Drizzle some balsamic vinegar to give it a sweetness and sprinkle bacon and Parmesan on when they come out of the oven.

Gilby

I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and I've lost about 9 lbs. It's basically just a low carb diet. But it's effective since its actually working for me.
I've been eating with a bit if cheese on my salads though. But it hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be cutting out bread and rice which I ate a lot of before.

The problem most people have when they try simple low carb diets is that they stop eating vegetables. That's one really good thing about paleo diets for people who don't know a lot about nutrition, it forces them to do low carb with lots of fiber and nutrients.

NomarTyme

Cavemen didn't have avocados or coconut either...there's a ton of hypocrisies they conveniently ignore.

Yeah. I'm just using paleo as a template, but paleo as a whole is not just what the caveman ate.

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna sacrifice whey protein with their awesome glutathione boosting ability.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah. I'm just using paleo as a template, but paleo as a whole is not just what the caveman ate.

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna sacrifice whey protein with their awesome glutathione boosting ability.

I think the best idea is to incorporate the best parts of any diet or lifestyle change to make it work for you.

I'm doing a mix of paleo with whey protein and gluten free (except the occasional cheat) and dairy once in awhile...full fat.

The main component of my diet is just watching my overrall calories while keeping my carb grams in check.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Drizzle some balsamic vinegar to give it a sweetness and sprinkle bacon and Parmesan on when they come out of the oven.

*Dies*

My dad (the health nut) groans at brussels sprouts. I always tell him he's just never had them cooked right. Although I hate the frozen ones.

Cauliflower rice and mash are the most amazing things I ever discovered on a low carb diet.

Even though I'm not doing full paleo, I bought the two cookbooks for some awesome recipe ideas. It makes low carb a lot easier.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I really hope this paleo fad doesn't become too popular. Health-wise it's probably fine although I doubt "cavemen" ate that much meat. Probably not for every meal anyway. Hunting with primitive tools is not easy.

Anyway, this diet in not sustainable in the long run for our planet. It takes a lot of resources to feed the animals (grains and water) and only a tiny fraction of that is converted to meat. Everything else is used by the metabolism of the animals and is pretty much wasted. We could use those resources to directly feed humans instead. With the growing population, this is the only viable solution.

Let's not forget that animal husbandry create a shit load of pollution, literally. Live stocks generate lots of greenhouse gases and excrement ends up in otherwise clean water. People should also think of animal rights.

Why have you come with such a strong conclusion?

Pretty much 100% of what gaffers do on a daily basis is not sustainable for the planet. It doesn't mean what they do isn't, it's how they do it. Whether it's using a plane (travel or shipping), living in a house, driving a car, etc. Should we become Amish vegetarians?

Is it impossible that these are very short term problems that will automatically be sorted out by innovation? Have you considered the implications of fusion power, water filtration, and currently arid land? Or engineering in farming practices, whether or not it includes livestock? Lab grown meat?

Yeah, it must be because people aren't eating massively produced soy and corn on lands previously containing diverse habitats. That's sustainable.

This is not the same topic where I've seen opinions that are like people are playing a game of Civilization. Population control is another.
"THERE'S TOO MANY PEOPLE, WE MUST INVOLUNTARILY NEUTER EVERYONE!"
"But look at the birth rates in developed countries, they're shrinking fairly fast"
"But the planet!"

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope this paleo fad doesn't become too popular. Health-wise it's probably fine although I doubt "cavemen" ate that much meat. Probably not for every meal anyway. Hunting with primitive tools is not easy.

Anyway, this diet in not sustainable in the long run for our planet. It takes a lot of resources to feed the animals (grains and water) and only a tiny fraction of that is converted to meat. Everything else is used by the metabolism of the animals and is pretty much wasted. We could use those resources to directly feed humans instead. With the growing population, this is the only viable solution.

Let's not forget that animal husbandry create a shit load of pollution, literally. Live stocks generate lots of greenhouse gases and excrement ends up in otherwise clean water. People should also think of animal rights.

Good thing I don't eat grain-fed meat. Costs me a lot extra having to buy from local sources, though.

I agree that the current big agricultural industry is unsustainable. There's way too much waste to keep it going. It has nothing to do with how much meat people eat, though.

GatorBait

Interesting study here regarding potential conflicts of interest in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: http://www.foodpolitics.com/2013/01/new-study-big-foods-ties-to-registered-dietitians/

"Food politics" sounds about the right way to describe it...

If the stuff contained in the diet is healthy on their own accord, fine, but one argument in particular that annoys me is the whole "Humans ate X for this many years, and Y only for a short period of time - thus we are better evolved to eat X".

I agree, to a certain degree. The idea to "eat what a caveman ate" is a strong foundational starting point, but to use that idea as a dogmatic set of rules seems foolish. The "Paleo" and "Primal Diets", as they are currently marketed, are the inventions of men, and each one has already made compromises for modern living. Beyond that, it's impossible to replicate the full effects of a caveman diet since we live in the modern era; our availability of food is much different, as are our activity levels, and frankly, we can not currently say with 100% confidence what cavemen ate.

The following Bruce Lee quote seems an like apt way to approach the "caveman diet": "Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." Personally, I think Mark Sisson (the "Primal Diet" guy) takes a pretty level approach to the paleo diet and he tends to use as much science as he can to support his premises, and even then he admits that some of his opinions are essentially semi-educated guesses.

FryHole

If the stuff contained in the diet is healthy on their own accord, fine, but one argument in particular that annoys me is the whole "Humans ate X for this many years, and Y only for a short period of time - thus we are better evolved to eat X".

That's just a misunderstanding of how evolution works, it's not a smooth continuous change, but rather a periods of little to no change punctuated by evolutionary bursts of great change in response to a change in the environment. That we've only eaten, for an example, grains for 10,000 years in comparison to a "paleo"-diet for 100,000 years is simply irrelevant.

Just had to get that off my chest, sorry :p

That's true, which is why you also need to take into account research into the diseases of civilisation, paleopathology, grain induced auto immune diseases etc when assessing whether or not we have appropriately adapted to a food source and should or should not avoid. The argument that bugs you should be taken not so much as an argument as a starting hypothesis to inspire further investigation. It often isn't, unfortunately.

That's true, which is why you also need to take into account research into the diseases of civilisation, paleopathology, grain induced auto immune diseases etc when assessing whether or not we have appropriately adapted to a food source and should or should not avoid. The argument that bugs you should be taken not so much as an argument as a starting hypothesis to inspire further investigation. It often isn't, unfortunately.
More complaints and niggles incoming:

Yeah, as a starting point to use as inspiration, I guess it's good, but it seems there's just too much focus on the food in particular - much like any diet really.
If you are going to eat like a caveman, shouldn't you also exercise like a caveman?

Primitive humans didn't live no couch potato lifestyle while eating whatever it was that they ate.
They didn't go for three jogging sessions or weight training sessions a week either.

Also, what's the deal with "inflammatory foods"?
It sounds really pseudo-scientific, and the main origin of that idea seem to come from a lady... more specifically, from a book she sells.

Usually when I encounter a theory that people make a major profit off, it usually gives me a great reason to distrust that source. This seems to be the case all over when it comes to the paleo-movement.

I'm not saying there's nothing to the paleo, but it's just hard for me to determine what exactly is being done right in the diet with so much.... stuff putting me off in my research.

FryHole

More complaints and niggles incoming:

Yeah, as a starting point to use as inspiration, I guess it's good, but it seems there's just too much focus on the food in particular - much like any diet really.
If you are going to eat like a caveman, shouldn't you also exercise like a caveman?

Primitive humans didn't live no couch potato lifestyle while eating whatever it was that they ate.
They didn't go for three jogging sessions or weight training sessions a week either.

Well, the Primal guy, Sisson, certainly does argue this - I think he recommends weight training, sprint workouts and walking as a mimic for carrying loads (fuel, carcasses, infants, body weight when climbing), running to catch/avoid something, and, well, walking. But to be fair, that's going to be even harder to prove than the diet aspect! Paleo man's workout timetable certainly didn't fossilise, so any recommendations on that front would be wide open to complaints and niggles :)

FWIW, I think Sisson's recommendations are reasonable, but again, as with diet, you need to combine the paleo inspiration with what modern research tells us about various exercise methods. Speaking for myself, I used to run about 20 miles a week and stayed overweight. These days I hardly exercise aside from a few press-ups and walking, and remain weight-stable at BMI 22.

Also, what's the deal with "inflammatory foods"?
It sounds really pseudo-scientific, and the main origin of that idea seem to come from a lady... more specifically, from a book she sells.

Usually when I encounter a theory that people make a major profit off, it usually gives me a great reason to distrust that source. This seems to be the case all over when it comes to the paleo-movement.

I've never heard of that woman, and haven't read too much about 'inflammatory' foods, so can't really speak to that specifically. There's probably something to it - for example here's a paper about the inflammatory nature of omega 6 fats vs omega 3

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16387724?dopt=AbstractPlus

And wheat germ agglutinin

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19332085?dopt=AbstractPlus

EDIT: a third link, a letter to the BMJ I remember reading a while ago. The author is an allergist who thinks paleo is the way forward, so this is one you might want to take with a pince of salt and follow up his references to see if they say what he says they say (as it were) http://www.bmj.com/content/318/7190/1023?view=long&pmid=10205084

The profit-motive thing is a reasonable rule of thumb for sure, it depends how deep you want to investigate this. In theory we should assess all information dispassionately regardless of the source of their motives, but life is too short, I agree. For one, Sisson is unashamedly a book and supplement salesman, but nonetheless he's the first person I recommend when people ask about paleo. He's upfront about what he does, and the advice is reasonable.

I'm not saying there's nothing to the paleo, but it's just hard for me to determine what exactly is being done right in the diet with so much.... stuff putting me off in my research.

Absolutely. An RCT of paleo vs other diets would be nice (anyone know of one?). Even then, with a fabulous result for paleo, all we'd know is that it's doing something right that the other diets don't. There's so many changes when you go strict paleo, who knows which one is what brings the benefits? It's a reasonable dietary framework with a fair amount based on little more than biological plausibility. Anyway, personally I like it, it means I can eat lots of meat.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I had my first cheat meal late Saturday night. My teammates, who are all paleo vets, went to 5 Guys after a grappling tournament. I couldn't finish my meal, it felt like someone dropped a rock in my stomach.

It was pretty funny to them.

Dash27

Yeah speaking of a rock in your stomach, I still feel a tightness in my stomach every now and then since being on this. It's not hunger and not pain, just a vague sense of tightness. Any idea what that is?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Yeah speaking of a rock in your stomach, I still feel a tightness in my stomach every now and then since being on this. It's not hunger and not pain, just a vague sense of tightness. Any idea what that is?

I had the same thing. Part of it was my body adapting to a new idea of what "full" is.

opoth

Banned
My wife is at the tail end of a monthlong "whole 30" challenge, which I guess is kind of to Paleo what vegan is to vegetarianism? She had a hard time initially with caffeine withdrawal but has stuck to it like a trooper and is doing great. I couldn't do it myself, I like good beer too much...

My wife is at the tail end of a monthlong "whole 30" challenge, which I guess is kind of to Paleo what vegan is to vegetarianism? She had a hard time initially with caffeine withdrawal but has stuck to it like a trooper and is doing great. I couldn't do it myself, I like good beer too much...
I can't really do a search at the moment, so could you sum it up some more?

ChiTownBuffalo

Paleo doesn't really allow dairy with the possible exception of butter.

I do Bulletproof Paleo, and I get to drink coffee.

Coffee with butter.

ChiTownBuffalo

Well if you can tolerate dairy then you can eat or drink it.But butter is a different story! its more fat than dairy.

And delicious in coffee.

ChiTownBuffalo

No doubt! Yeah the real stuff is a little to pricy for me... so I just use kerry gold butter and kick horse coffee!

Kerry Gold, I think I have 3 lbs in my fridge right now.

Alcohol is also non-paleo by the looks of it. At least that's has indisputable health benefits, but on the other hand here is research which suggests that occasional wine consumption is good for you.

CrankyJay

Banned
Alcohol is also non-paleo by the looks of it. At least that's has indisputable health benefits, but on the other hand here is research which suggests that occasional wine consumption is good for you.

I don't understand who gets to say what is Paleo and what isn't...clarified butter didn't exist in Paleolithic times.

Dash27

I don't understand who gets to say what is Paleo and what isn't...

Nobody. It's a basic framework. Details are tweaked. If you want to say something is acceptable it's based on if it is good for you or not, and then you need to support your claim.

Doesnt really matter if a caveman ate it or not. If they did eat it, the assumption is you can eat it and be healthy. If they didnt it's suspect but not necessarily bad: see olives, butter etc.

That's my take anyway.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, that coffee thing is another reason I couldn't fully get on board with Paleo.

Black coffee all the way.

Huh?

Black coffee is encouraged on Paleo. The whole "bulletproof" thing that puts butter in coffee is completely separate from (but often overlaps with) IF and/or Paleo.

Stantron

I've been making bulletproof coffee lately. Good stuff.
Anyone have any quick and easy paleo recipes with a Blendtec blender?

despire

Ate about 900g of broccoli today. Let's see if my produce in the bathroom is more solid tomorrow. Been kind of wet pooping ever since I switched over to paleo which I guess is due to lack of fiber. This should put me above 22,5g of fiber today.

so im really thinking about getting this nutribullet for added veggie consumption:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TIE0GQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
81-WPNERp-L._SL1500_.jpg

says it pulverizes better than a blender, so it's ideal to add things like flax seeds and raw nuts, and turns it into a superfood-drink-like texture (so basically, the real version of a naked juice drink).

i have a gift card for target to get this for literally 5 dollars...was thinking i would throw some water, spinach, carrots, apples, ginger, raw almonds and some freshly squeezed lime and see what happens. maybe throw in some protein powder on lifting days and the day after for recovery.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Ate about 900g of broccoli today. Let's see if my produce in the bathroom is more solid tomorrow. Been kind of wet pooping ever since I switched over to paleo which I guess is due to lack of fiber. This should put me above 22,5g of fiber today.

I think you've got that backwards. Less fiber = more solid.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Well, more fat = less solid...

I've never heard that before (not saying you're wrong, though).

Regardless, increasing his broccoli (fiber) intake isn't going to make his shit firm up it will probably make it worse.

Zoe

I've never heard that before (not saying you're wrong, though).

Well it's not something I'm gonna set out to prove myself, but it definitely makes for more floaters if you're not absorbing all of the fat that you eat.

Vegetarian/grain diets typically make for more solid waste. See the difference between a cat that eats dry food and a cat that eats wet food.

Iph

Banned
Has anyone here ever tried baking paleo with coconut flour? I made some paleo muffins the other day with it but the flour is odd in that it's MUCH drier than normal flour. It's hard to substitute it directly.

despire

Huh? I've always had the impression that high fiber diet should make your poop a more solid chunk instead of watery diarrhea?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Huh? I've always had the impression that high fiber diet should make your poop a more solid chunk instead of watery diarrhea?

Think of it this way. Fiber supplement are subscribed for people with constipation issues (their shit is too hard). Increasing the fiber in their diet softens things up.

Has anyone here ever tried baking paleo with coconut flour? I made some paleo muffins the other day with it but the flour is odd in that it's MUCH drier than normal flour. It's hard to substitute it directly.

Look for paleo-specific recipes that call for coconut flour, or if you have to substitute in an existing recipe, just use less flour (or more wet ingredients). A friend of mine makes amazing coconut + dark chocolate chunk muffins. Packed with protein, very low carb and fat.

Top Bottom