• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

You don't have to buy frozen. There are pictures of a giant pile of fresh, non-frozen produce that he bought for $20. More than enough for a couple of weeks for 2 people.

He might be an ass, but that doesn't make the advice any less sound.

Ah, you got me before my edit. :p Yeah, I'm not sure where I was getting the frozen thing from. I just woke up and hadn't had my coffee yet, but I did read the full article and saw the fresh veggies.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, you got me before my edit. :p Yeah, I'm not sure where I was getting the frozen thing from. I just woke up and hadn't had my coffee yet.

Ha, no worries, I know the feeling!

He definitely suggests buying frozen (meats and veggies) if you need to cut down on costs. If you have a Costco near you, they have really great produce, both frozen and fresh.

man, i used to miss taco night (we used corn tortillas for street tacos), but the gf and i turned it into taco salad night :)

carne asada
shredded lettuce
fresh pico (onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, some vinegar and lime juice)
avocado
tablespoon of sour cream to top it off

yum.

question: how would a restaurant like veggie grill or native foods do for someone on a paleo diet?

im guessing terrible because it uses things like tempeh and seitan as their main "protein" sources for those fake burgers/meats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempeh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_gluten_(food)

maybe i'll treat myself to these places every once in a while, because i genuinely like the taste of those fake burgers

despire

Does anyone have the recipe/link to pizza crust made of eggs? I saw one a few days ago and decided to give it a shot but I didn't bookmark it..

pubba

Hmm, if those gluten free/low carb rolls actually work it may be a life saver.

They do work but it takes a bit of trial and error to get it just right. I suggest making a huge batch of them once a week and freezing them. They keep pretty well in the freezer.

Oh - and use baking paper when you bake them! Otherwise the mixture sticks to your tray and it's a bitch to clean up.

pubba

Does anyone have the recipe/link to pizza crust made of eggs? I saw one a few days ago and decided to give it a shot but I didn't bookmark it..

I suggest trying the cauliflower pizza base. It sounds awful but in actual fact it's awesome!

Serves: 8
Ingredients
½ head cauliflower (about 2 cups riced/grated)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
Prep a cookie sheet or pizza stone. You can grease the cookie sheet or use parchment paper. (I used a Pampered Chef baking stone, which doesn’t require any prep if it’s seasoned.)
Remove the stems and leaves from your cauliflower and chop the florets into chunks. Add to a food processor (I used my Vitamix) and pulse just until the texture is similar to rice. If you don’t have a food processor or Vitamix, you can grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or chop it.
Sauté cauliflower “rice” in a non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook until translucent, approximately 6-8 minutes. (You can use the microwave for this as well. Just place cauliflower in an uncovered microwave-safe bowl and cook for 8 minutes.)
In a bowl combine the cooked cauliflower with all remaining ingredients.
Spread dough out evenly over parchment paper (or stone) – about ¼ to ⅓ of an inch thick. The pizza should be about 9-10 inches in diameter.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
Remove the crust from the oven.
Top with pizza sauce and toppings. Be careful not to add too many heavy toppings as you don’t want to weigh down the crust.
Broil the pizza for 5 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted. Allow the pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes then cut and serve immediately.

For best results, let the base cool before you add your toppings.

Dre

man, i used to miss taco night (we used corn tortillas for street tacos), but the gf and i turned it into taco salad night :)

carne asada
shredded lettuce
avocado

yum.

question: how would a restaurant like veggie grill or native foods do for someone on a paleo diet?

im guessing terrible because it uses things like tempeh and seitan as their main "protein" sources for those fake burgers/meats:

maybe i'll treat myself to these places every once in a while, because i genuinely like the taste of those fake burgers

Tempeh isn't that bad, it's a fermented product, so it's actually ok to eat it (same goes for natto, both are better than tofu). It's also full of isoflavones, which are good for your heart.

Seitan on the other hand doesn't seem to be that good, glutens should be avoided normally, they're the cause of many digestive problems for some folks.

bdouble

carne asada
shredded lettuce
avocado

yum.

For those askjng about vegan veggie or fake meat replacement id say on the whole aboid it. Most likely they contain some form fo grain and or soy. Better to just eat a good piece of or the real burger no bun and some veggies.

When paleo/primal id say your main goals are to eliminate the horrible fats (hydrogenated oils) and most if not all grains. Then things like dairy are individual choices.

Good replacement for soy sauce is coconut aminos. Great for stir fry and terriyaki seasoning.

Dash27

Down to 192 today, from a start of about 202. Still smooth sailing. Lean for me should start in around 10 more pounds so half way there. If the next 10 are even close to as easy as the first I'll be very happy.

Still really enjoying eating this way, I just really need to keep on top of the prep work and food shopping.

despire

Anyone doing paleo and being in ketosis at the same time? Just interested in it since it has muscle sparing properties and whatnot..

SeanR1221

Down to 192 today, from a start of about 202. Still smooth sailing. Lean for me should start in around 10 more pounds so half way there. If the next 10 are even close to as easy as the first I'll be very happy.

Still really enjoying eating this way, I just really need to keep on top of the prep work and food shopping.

About how many calories do you eat a day?

Maluf360

I am on a low carb diet for 6 months and I lost 55lbs... I always felt more energetic eating meat, fish, eggs and butter. Sometimes I miss to eat a white bread, so I do it from time to time.

My main problem is milk, but I got from a whole cup from only 1/4, with sweetener and coffee.

I've never heard about paleo since this article, and I saw how much I was doing quite like it. But now I've learn a lot more on how I can improve my diet.

Thank you!

FryHole

Just to elbow my way into this conversation, I worked out how many calories I'm eating a day the other week - was quite shocked to find it was about 2800 calories, thought it'd be lower. Currently maintaining 50lb loss for two years, 6 ft and 175 lbs.

SeanR1221

Just to elbow my way into this conversation, I worked out how many calories I'm eating a day the other week - was quite shocked to find it was about 2800 calories, thought it'd be lower. Currently maintaining 50lb loss for two years, 6 ft and 175 lbs.

Reading stuff like this gets me so frustrated (no offense to you and your progress is awesome) but I'm tracking everything, getting like 1800-2000 on workout days and 1500-1600 on rest days and I'm just bouncing between the same two pounds. When I only ate 2000 calories I was gaining weight. I'm
5'8 and 195 pounds.

OK, so... here's a question. Since I started this diet, my deodorant has been failing me almost constantly. I've tried Arm & Hammer all natural, Old Spice, Speed Stick and... something else I can't think of.

Is there any reason to believe that a change in diet could... result in being stinkier? Like I said, I didn't have this problem until the last few weeks. Or is it something else, probably?

Dash27

No idea really. I can try and track a few days and see. I'm kind of curious.

Today so far:

4 eggs over easy
1/2 bell pepper

6 large green olives

~5 slices of pepperoni
3 small pieces of munster cheese

~1/2 pound hamburger (made myself from 90/10 ground beef patty)
1 slice american cheese
2 slices of beefsteak tomato
1 dill pickle spear
2 large romaine lettuce leaves as a bun

Going to make a salad now with baby romaine, cherry tomatoes, fresh mozarella balls, blueberries and some oil/vinegar.

Dinner tonight is eggplant parm my wife made.

Fitday says about 1400 calories so far, plus whatever the salad is and then dinner.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Dashel

Oh I'm also going to the gym tonight so probably a glass of milk with some whey when I get home, another 200 ish calories.

FryHole

Reading stuff like this gets me so frustrated (no offense to you and your progress is awesome) but I'm tracking everything, getting like 1800-2000 on workout days and 1500-1600 on rest days and I'm just bouncing between the same two pounds. When I only ate 2000 calories I was gaining weight. I'm
5'8 and 195 pounds.

Sorry man, and thanks! To be fair I think that's probably the upper limit of my calorie intake, other days I've tracked have pegged around 2300 - 2400. I never checked while losing weight but it must've been less. What I've found is it seems like I can stick away extra fat calories and they don't seem to touch the sides, whereas extra carbs do.

SeanR1221

Sorry man, and thanks! To be fair I think that's probably the upper limit of my calorie intake, other days I've tracked have pegged around 2300 - 2400. I never checked while losing weight but it must've been less. What I've found is it seems like I can stick away extra fat calories and they don't seem to touch the sides, whereas extra carbs do.

It just sucks I seem to be this anomaly. Everyone around here posts how limiting their carbs makes the weight fly off. Me? I'm either maintaining or gaining and I'm working my ass off in the gym and the kitchen.

NomarTyme

I've been much better with sleep, although my pup still wakes me up once or twice a night to take her out to the bathroom. I fall right back to sleep when that happens. I definitely get 7-8 hours a night.

ok sounds good. Then my next question are you just going base on weight alone or are you measuring your waist size and/or taking pictures of your body for every 4 weeks?

SeanR1221

ok sounds good. Then my next question are you just going base on weight alone or are you measuring your waist size and/or taking pictures of your body for every 4 weeks?

I lost my measuring tape some now and have been kicking myself because I keep forgetting to buy a new one. I have the app body shot, which lets you compare pictures. I was going to wait till the end of my current strength program to take a final after picture. I snuck one in early and I definitely look bigger, but not in a necessarily good way :/

NomarTyme

I lost my measuring tape some now and have been kicking myself because I keep forgetting to buy a new one. I have the app body shot, which lets you compare pictures. I was going to wait till the end of my current strength program to take a final after picture. I snuck one in early and I definitely look bigger, but not in a necessarily good way :/

Maybe you should up your protein and reduce fat/carbs. Only eat carbs on the day before you lift.

Srsly

Banned
5'8 and 195 pounds.

Yeah, this isn't normal at all. Are you sure you aren't hypothyroid?

Also, you might want to read the following and stop nuerotically obsessing over calories:

http://kindkehealthnotes.blogspot.ie/2013/01/calorie-restriction-for-weight-loss.html

UrokeJoe

so im really thinking about getting this nutribullet for added veggie consumption:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TIE0GQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

says it pulverizes better than a blender, so it's ideal to add things like flax seeds and raw nuts, and turns it into a superfood-drink-like texture (so basically, the real version of a naked juice drink).

i have a gift card for target to get this for literally 5 dollars...was thinking i would throw some water, spinach, carrots, apples, ginger, raw almonds and some freshly squeezed lime and see what happens. maybe throw in some protein powder on lifting days and the day after for recovery.

You won't regret it. The thing is awesome for $100. It destroys veggies, but you will have some almond pieces if you add them in. They don't quite liquefy.

SeanR1221

dralla

I just used coconut oil on my face for the first time, I work out in the cold on the weekend and my skin has been a little dry and beginning to peel. I want to eat my face right now, I smell so good.

I also really need to stop eating carrots and orange things, damn carotenosis is getting worse. Finished off my squash tonight, mashed with butter and cinnamon, won't be having them for a while

jxtO3JeEyDyw4.jpg
RIP :(

IceCold

I was reading about coconut oil and it sounds like a miracle oil. You can use on your face, your hair, cook with it, etc. What can't you do with it?

UrokeJoe

I was reading about coconut oil and it sounds like a miracle oil. You can use on your face, your hair, cook with it, etc. What can't you do with it?

I whip it up and put it in my coffee, then lick the spoon and rub it all over my lips. The stuff is so good.

A coworker says she puts it in her hair. Her hair is nice.

I bought some MCT oil and that stuff is rank.

NomarTyme

Eh, if I didn't record what goes in my mouth, I'd eat a ton of food. Considering I gain on 2000 calories, that would be bad. 6 eggs and 4 pieces of bacon would be easy....600 calories to start the day.

I know this is probably not what you eat on a regular basis but 6 eggs and the bacon might cause a imbalance in your omega 3/6 ratio. Are you eating fish for your omega 3?

Good oil, but I do take this stuff seasonally. Also it helped my candida problem.

SeanR1221

I know this is probably not what you eat on a regular basis but 6 eggs and the bacon might cause a imbalance in your omega 3/6 ratio. Are you eating fish for your omega 3?

Good oil, but I do take this stuff seasonally. Also it helped my candida problem.

Oh I don't eat that much. I'm saying I could :)

Dash27

It just sucks I seem to be this anomaly. Everyone around here posts how limiting their carbs makes the weight fly off. Me? I'm either maintaining or gaining and I'm working my ass off in the gym and the kitchen.

Have you recently dropped a lot of weight? If you're plateauing that happens all the time. I'm no expert but I remember reading if you get stuck for a few weeks at the same weight drop your cals by 250 and give that a couple of weeks to work.

Although you're doing a strength program so I'm not sure how it all works. I'd definitely take measurements and see if anything is changing in terms of body comp if you're not already doing that.

Srsly

Banned
Paleo: where eating bacon and eggs causes an omega6:3 imbalance which leads to a ~200 lb male gaining weight on 2,000 calories a day. Fucking retarded

SeanR1221

Have you recently dropped a lot of weight? If you're plateauing that happens all the time. I'm no expert but I remember reading if you get stuck for a few weeks at the same weight drop your cals by 250 and give that a couple of weeks to work.

Although you're doing a strength program so I'm not sure how it all works. I'd definitely take measurements and see if anything is changing in terms of body comp if you're not already doing that.

Things have been like this...I might have the years a little off...

2001 (high school) 220+ pounds of lard, pure fatass

2007 (college years) skinniest I've ever been. 160ish

2009 (grad school) stress, horrible diet, no exercise
190ish

2011 back to working out, discovered strength straining, started with the bar

Now

What I can't figure out is why I exploded in size recently. I privately showed someone a before and after and they agreed I was looking bigger in a not so good way. I'd be willing to PM you to get a second opinion.

Top Bottom