• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paleo Diet 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

FryHole

Huh? I've always had the impression that high fiber diet should make your poop a more solid chunk instead of watery diarrhea?

I'm only going by Wikipedia here but that appears to be insoluble fibre. And broccoli seems to be more of a soluble fibre veggie.

Good luck tomorrow... #prayfordespire

Iph

Banned
Look for paleo-specific recipes that call for coconut flour, or if you have to substitute in an existing recipe, just use less flour (or more wet ingredients). A friend of mine makes amazing coconut + dark chocolate chunk muffins. Packed with protein, very low carb and fat.

I rarely try a recipe where I need to substitute. I did that once and got the ratio wrong. End result was basically unedible. I have found a few, good paleo/gluten-free coconut flour recipes but they seem a little off. When I follow the directions exactly the batter seems much too wet. It cooks well enough, but sometimes it's a bit too moist in the middle after, if that makes sense. I think I finally have what the consistancy of the batter should be like, but it took more trial and error with a coco-flour recipe than I expected.

Would your friend be willing to share their recipe? :D

despire

I'm only going by Wikipedia here but that appears to be insoluble fibre. And broccoli seems to be more of a soluble fibre veggie.

Good luck tomorrow... #prayfordespire

:D

Yeah, we'll see. At least I'm happy I won't have to eat this much broccoli ever again. Now to find something with more of the insoluble kind.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I rarely try a recipe where I need to substitute. I did that once and got the ratio wrong. End result was basically unedible. I have found a few, good paleo/gluten-free coconut flour recipes but they seem a little off. When I follow the directions exactly the batter seems much too wet. It cooks well enough, but sometimes it's a bit too moist in the middle after, if that makes sense. I think I finally have what the consistancy of the batter should be like, but it took more trial and error with a coco-flour recipe than I expected.

Would your friend be willing to share their recipe? :D

It's based off of a recipe for coconut muffins in The Primal Blueprint Reader-Created Coconut Recipe Cookbook which I think you can get for free from marksdailyapple. That's all I know, though.

Iph

Banned
It's based off of a recipe for coconut muffins in The Primal Blueprint Reader-Created Coconut Recipe Cookbook which I think you can get for free from marksdailyapple. That's all I know, though.

Great! Thanks for the info. I did not know about this. Looks like I'm baking tomorrow.

GatorBait

Went to Whole Foods this past weekend. Picked up some ghee, coconut oil, and coconut flour...

Now I really feel like a real Paleo dude.

so im really thinking about getting this nutribullet for added veggie consumption:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TIE0GQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

says it pulverizes better than a blender, so it's ideal to add things like flax seeds and raw nuts, and turns it into a superfood-drink-like texture (so basically, the real version of a naked juice drink).

i have a gift card for target to get this for literally 5 dollars...was thinking i would throw some water, spinach, carrots, apples, ginger, raw almonds and some freshly squeezed lime and see what happens. maybe throw in some protein powder on lifting days and the day after for recovery.

yea it's only a 100 bux, I have a good blender that liquefies everything and I am also thinking about buying this.

CrankyJay

Banned
Tonights dinner was center cut pork chop and sauteed collard greens (in bacon grease) with speck(prosciutto), garlic, and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Was really good. The speck provided a really nice salty smokey flavor.

GatorBait

Tonights dinner was center cut pork chop and sauteed collard greens (in bacon grease) with speck(prosciutto), garlic, and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Was really good. The speck provided a really nice salty smokey flavor.

Damn, that does sound good!

I'm rocking stir-fried (like real stir fry in a wok) beef and broccoli. Teriyaki marinated thin-sliced beef + broccoli + soy sauce + sesame oil and sesame seeds. First time I've made this since buying my wok. I'm digging it. Very easy and healthy...I can see this become a regular in my meal rotation.

dralla

Make sure your coconut oil is expeller pressed/virgin and not refined/deodorized.

I buy Nutiva. Great quality, taste, and value.

Refined coconut oil is great for cooking at high heat without the coconut taste. Sure, you lose some nutrients during refinement, but it's still a great oil.

I also noticed that the sunflower oil sold at whole foods his the high oleic kind, I never knew that. Basically that means at least 80% of the oil is made from the same monounsaturated fats as olive oil, it also has a neutral taste, that's another good option.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Egg Muffin Recipe

This makes a dozen, and you will need a cupcake tin, or some other kind of vessel that can get thrown in the oven. They are basically single serving quiche.

I like to throw in about half a pound of bacon, and I cook this in the oven @375 for 20 min a side. Baking it allows you to save the grease easier.

Cut up a med/L onion, a bell pepper, and a jalapeno pepper.
start cooking these with either butter, olive (or other oil), or I use bacon grease that I've been saving (more fat the better) takes about 5 minutes so plan accordingly with bacon. Turn off.

while your peppers are cooking. crack 12 eggs in a big bowl and whip 'em up like you're going to scramble them. If you like them fluffy put a 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder in it, but they taste fine without.

When pan has cooled a bit, throw in eggs.

Cut bacon into little pieces and throw in eggs too.

I have a 1/4 cup measuring cup that I use to fill the cupcake tins, but whatever is easiest for you to transfer egg mixture into tin. Bake for 10-15 min @350 or until fairly solid.

Mobius 1

So, I've been Paleo-ing for the last month, and as it became more and more evident that it's better for me, I've taken it seriously and now I find my body in moderate ketosis.

Should I stay on course and add exercise to burn the flab out? Or must I supplement the exercise with extra dietary supplements.

Oh god how did this end up here Im not good with health

dralla

You should always try and eat food instead of supplements. Eat a wide variety of foods to get all the vitamins and minerals you need. That being said, not everyone can afford to do that, or might not have access to certain foods. It's hard to say without seeing what your diet looks like now. For the past couple of weeks, I've been eating 3 brazil nuts with my breakfast for the selenium. I eat salmon at least twice a week for the omega-3's. I'm going to try and start eating oysters for the zinc.

And be careful not to overtrain, you don't need to kill yourself with exercise, I see lots of people really go overboard with cardio, resistance training is great for fat loss as well. And if you're going to be heavily active, make sure you're upping the calories to give your body the extra fuel it needs.

--

My essentials for healthy cooking/dressings.
jPbal3qstCI1A.jpg

And I picked this up today, gonna try and piece later and see how it is. I'm excited!

NomarTyme

Hey Dralla you can make your own ghee with the kerry gold butter(usalted version). Pretty easy if you want to do it. Also your house will end up smelling like toffee afterwards.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm too poor to do this diet and still get a sufficient amount of protein. I could just eat a bunch of veggies but I need that protein :(

Read this article and see if it do able for you.

He comes off as an asshole and a shill.

And it's still way expensive because well, cooking at home with fresh ingredients is going to be regardless if on a diet or not.

Just go to your neighborhood grocery store and do the coupons thing. No need to have fancy names or packages as it is a minimal difference at best.
You can buy frozen and canned veggies and other minimally processed foods and not go overbudget.

Also, for beginners I'm a fan of no nonsense cooking. Just use simple ingredients and equipment. It's like getting into photography, the most important thing is building up your skills not the equipment.

NomarTyme

Wrong.

Fiber always helps when I'm having soft-serve shits.

Personally I disagree base on my own experiments. All I need is magnesium(preferably glycinate or malate). I just pooped a dodger dog long solid poop yesterday and I barely eat veggies. Also I poop 2-3 times a day.

.Brian.

Banned
Read this article and see if it do able for you.

his college diet paragraph is fucking bullshit, I'm sorry. Oh great, you worked a lot and supported your family. Some people do the same exact thing, but also pay rent, utilities, insurance, car payments, tuition, gas, EVERYTHING. ON A 20-30K a year salary, with all the aforementioned shit, people have to live paycheck to paycheck, basically. His holier than though attitude is fucking stupid. Congratulations on supporting your family, but suck my dick. Some of us can't get as much money as you did in those situations.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
After 2.5 weeks of Bulletproof Paleo, I've dropped about 14 lbs.

antonz

any specific paleo books you guys recommend that you have used yourselves?(aside from those in OP for reference)

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

Wow, nice. Is there a specific meal guide or do you just follow the list of good foods/bad foods on their website?

I'm pretty strict about following that guide. I cheated with a cheeseburger last Saturday. And it was disastrous on my intestines. So, I'm going to stick with it as much as possible.

I mean, I lost 14 pounds eating lots of bacon and putting butter in coffee.

I truly cannot afford to go Paleo so I've just been doing my own thing trying to lose weight. I'm eating less in general, taking in more vegetables and cutting out as much bread/potatos/sugar/processed foods as possible. I still go out for beers once in a while so I'm enjoying the best of both worlds.

ChiTownBuffalo

Cheese burger isn't really cheating unless you had a traditional bun.

I had Five Guys. With fries. And a Cherry Coke.

Dash27

Update for me: down 9 pounds. I am very happy with how slow and steady the loss is. My biggest fear with cutting down is losing the muscle I worked so hard to get. I feel like I'm doing it right this way. Never really hungry, strength is staying with me, slow and steady loss.

NomarTyme

Do you cavemen eat quinoa? I mean technically it's considered a seed.

You need to find out if quinoa can effect your weight loss or not, so give it few weeks after consuming quinoa and then decide if you want to incorporate in your diet. If you perform, feel and look great then keep eating them.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Wrong.

Fiber always helps when I'm having soft-serve shits.

We already covered this. Soluble and insoluble fiber do different things. Insoluble fiber (like from broccoli) can make diarrhea worse.

He comes off as an asshole and a shill.

And it's still way expensive because well, cooking at home with fresh ingredients is going to be regardless if on a diet or not.

his college diet paragraph is fucking bullshit, I'm sorry. Oh great, you worked a lot and supported your family. Some people do the same exact thing, but also pay rent, utilities, insurance, car payments, tuition, gas, EVERYTHING. ON A 20-30K a year salary, with all the aforementioned shit, people have to live paycheck to paycheck, basically. His holier than though attitude is fucking stupid. Congratulations on supporting your family, but suck my dick. Some of us can't get as much money as you did in those situations.

Did you guys even read the article? Are you telling me you really spend less than $25 per week on groceries? Because that's what his bill came out to, even while shopping at Whole Foods ($100 for 2 people for 2 weeks). That's less than $1.20 per meal. He said he could even knock it down to $15 per person per week shopping at big box grocery stores.

Dash27

Just go to your neighborhood grocery store and do the coupons thing. No need to have fancy names or packages as it is a minimal difference at best.
You can buy frozen and canned veggies and other minimally processed foods and not go overbudget.

So kinda like this?

So I do buy the standard meats, even on clearance when something good left. I buy somewhat seasonally and lots of frozen partly for ease, and partly because It will keep. I buy on sale and coupons too.

Which is directly from the article.

despire

What's people opinion on vegetable oils in spice sauces? I have these awesome thai spice sauces/mixes and one is in "vegetable oil". I use it mainly to season my chicken so I use it everyday but the amount is 1 teaspoon at most (and not all of is oil) in a day.

Yay or nay?

Dre

What's people opinion on vegetable oils in spice sauces? I have these awesome thai spice sauces/mixes and one is in "vegetable oil". I use it mainly to season my chicken so I use it everyday but the amount is 1 teaspoon at most (and not all of is oil) in a day.

Yay or nay?

While I do not endorse being too anal about the type of food you eat and strongly advocate the 80/20 rule, I would avoid everything that contains vegetable oils, especially if you consume it daily and the labeling is that vague.
I'd try to replace that sauce with something else or try to do it myself, at least that's how I would act in your situation.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
My only problem with this is frozen vegetables just don't compare to fresh.

You don't have to buy frozen. There are pictures of a giant pile of fresh, non-frozen produce that he bought for $20. More than enough for a couple of weeks for 2 people.

He might be an ass, but that doesn't make the advice any less sound.

Top Bottom